Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTE:

General fundraising discussion is not allowed. The ONLY part of a fundraiser account that is allowed for discussion is if there are previously unknown specifics/facts contained in the introduction (NOT COMMENTS) that relate directly to the case.

Speculation about why family members set up the account, the funds raised or what those funds may or may not be used for are off limits. Discuss the case, not the peripheral issues of fundraising.

Many of us who post on Websleuths are fairly good at reading maps and terrain, but I always try to remember many people aren't. We know from Jay's stepfather that he doesn't walk very much, so he probably isn't very good at orienteering.

If I were in the kind of terrain surrounding Masca, I would look for landmarks such as particular peaks in the mountains, the location of the sun, etc.

But if you're not used to doing that, I can imagine quickly becoming disoriented. All you see in every direction is green hillside and winding roads/trails. It all looks the same. Which way did I come from? Which way do I go?!?

I think that is a good thing because the search on land, so far, has proved fruitless. I'm surprised this wasn't done before now though.
The coast line alongthere is very busy with many different types of boats. Its not unusual to find someone moored up / exploring the little coves.

They even do daily canoe trips but Im not sure if they are running. It depends on the sea. We had to wait a few days as it can get choppy.

Asked about the family’s absence, he said: "They appreciate the press are a really important aspect of the story but they are reluctant to speak because they really want to work with Spanish police, and Spanish authorities and they have not sanctioned this. We have to respect that.

"Since I have been here and worked with the family, I have spent yesterday with them and the night before and they are very, very united family and they are very supportive and their one mission of course is to find out what happened to Jay.

The coast line alongthere is very busy with many different types of boats. Its not unusual to find someone moored up / exploring the little coves.

They even do daily canoe trips but Im not sure if they are running. It depends on the sea. We had to wait a few days as it can get choppy.
Thanks for this, I was wondering if the sea could get choppy there. Do you know how deep the coves are in that area?

Thanks for this, I was wondering if the sea could get choppy there. Do you know how deep the coves are in that area?
Along the coast theres quite a few - theres also a path that runs along the cliff that is quite crazy, it runs until you find a tunnel that goes through the mountain. Although its been closed recently (not sure if its reopened). As far as I know Masca is the only way you can walk to a cove, the rest have to be accessed via boat.

Along the walking routes though you will find alot of small caves / hideaways for shepherds with troughs of water, some are even visable on the map. I suspect they will of searched these though.

There are some deep ravines though you cant access via drone or walking, they will need someone to get a rope into. This is where I think they will find him in the end.

There are some deep ravines though you cant access via drone or walking, they will need someone to get a rope into. This is where I think they will find him in the end.
Given how deep some of these ravines are and the steep, treacherous landscape in and around them, I fear you may be right.

Given how deep some of these ravines are and the steep, treacherous landscape in and around them, I fear you may be right.
Although making it to the cliff from Masca is quite a walk, without water impossible on a hot day. If he made it to the coast it would be a miracle. This is most likely why they have been searching heavily around the area of the start of the path.

View attachment 513629

This is an image from google - but this is usually what it looks like, peoples boats moored up.

One of the caves up high

View attachment 513630

This is the cliff walk

Wow! that cliff walk is insane! It does highlight just how steep the cliffs are there.
Looking at the first photo, I can see it's unlikely that he would have fallen there and not been noticed by boat dwellers.

This is a reach, at best. He wasn't too fearful or paranoid to go on holiday. Or too fearful or paranoid to take part in the assault he was convicted of. The fact he was jumped at age 12 is completely irrelevant tabloid clickbait.

I'm not reaching at all. I don't particularly believe Jay was fearful or paranoid, just that it's a possibility--one of many.

In any case, wasn't it said that Jay was reluctant to go on holiday and had to be convinced to go? I thought I read that somewhere when he first went missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member