Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

Spanish police have held their first press conference since Jay Slater went missing in Tenerife on the 13th day of the search.

The Civil Guard gave the new statement as it geared up for a full day of searching, in a renewed effort to find the missing 19-year-old from Lancashire. Today, June 29, marks the beginning of a new, 'massive search' for Jay after the Civil Guard sent out a call to arms to urge all emergency services and experienced hikers and mountaineers to join police as they hunt for the teenager.

During the press conference this morning at Mirador La Cruz de Hilda, one of the focal points for the search, the Civil Guard spoke of the difficulties officers have faced while trying to find Jay. "We know to a certain science that he was here because the coverage of his phone its undeniable that he was around this point. And that’s where we have difficulties, because once you turn off your phone, it can no longer be traced," they said. "So while he was walking - and we don’t know how long he could have walked for - with his phone switched off, no antenna is going to pick that up. And the technology we have - it traces phones, but not people. We have certain clues, and we have to stick to those

more at the link....................

Spanish police have held their first press conference since Jay Slater went missing in Tenerife on the 13th day of the search.

The Civil Guard gave the new statement as it geared up for a full day of searching, in a renewed effort to find the missing 19-year-old from Lancashire. Today, June 29, marks the beginning of a new, 'massive search' for Jay after the Civil Guard sent out a call to arms to urge all emergency services and experienced hikers and mountaineers to join police as they hunt for the teenager.

During the press conference this morning at Mirador La Cruz de Hilda, one of the focal points for the search, the Civil Guard spoke of the difficulties officers have faced while trying to find Jay. "We know to a certain science that he was here because the coverage of his phone its undeniable that he was around this point. And that’s where we have difficulties, because once you turn off your phone, it can no longer be traced," they said. "So while he was walking - and we don’t know how long he could have walked for - with his phone switched off, no antenna is going to pick that up. And the technology we have - it traces phones, but not people. We have certain clues, and we have to stick to those

more at the link....................

I am worried this is a bit too late. Shame such search wasn't done within the first week

The article that mentions an incident, also mentions that they are checking to see if there is actually a connection. Which implies there is no clear connection. It was a fight outside a rather large rave, probably one of many altercations that night. I guess they’d have to check anything that could be linked - and they do state they are looking at other alternatives as part of the investigation. For me though, clearly not linked at all or convoluted. Lost in the wilderness, by his own admission.
Yes it is convoluted, because there are so many strands to this case.
I agree that the likely outcome is that he got lost or injured while trying to find his way back to his hotel.
However, as you yourself have said, they have to look into all leads.

There could be many reasons why the turnout has been so low.
The time that's passed since the disappearance, the treacherous and dangerous terrain, the cost of getting to the area, high temperatures, fear of getting lost themselves, speculation about his lifestyle etc.
Surely it's better that there wasn't an influx of inexperienced people who might, themselves, have got lost.

"Jay Slater LIVE:

Tragedy

as only six volunteers

turn up to 'huge'

Tenerife search party."

but the police is quoted in the same article as referring to 'about 30 people'

ETA: I guess it was 'nearly 30 professional searchers from the local police, fire and mountain rescue services' and a handful of volunteers

An Eastern European man is alleged to have had a Rolex watch stolen, MailOnline reports, with one of Mr Slater's pals telling detectives the incident led to his going missing.

Officers are now scouring CCTV from the venue's security cameras, according to a police source.

A theory reportedly being looked into is that the Rolex ended up at a remote cottage in the village of Masca where Mr Slater travelled to with two men after partying at the NRG music festival.

MailOnline reports Mr Slater may have fled into the wilderness after the alleged incident

An Eastern European man is alleged to have had a Rolex watch stolen, MailOnline reports, with one of Mr Slater's pals telling detectives the incident led to his going missing.

Officers are now scouring CCTV from the venue's security cameras, according to a police source.

A theory reportedly being looked into is that the Rolex ended up at a remote cottage in the village of Masca where Mr Slater travelled to with two men after partying at the NRG music festival.

MailOnline reports Mr Slater may have fled into the wilderness after the alleged incident

It's an attention-grabbing theory but how on earth does this work in practice? Assuming Jay stole a random man's property, how do they then follow or find him when he leaves and goes to a random location? Why would they lie in wait all night? Why would they get lucky and find him in a remote mountain region only after he's already got himself lost (self admittedly) and reported it to friends? It doesn't make any sense.

It's an attention-grabbing theory but how on earth does this work in practice? Assuming Jay stole a random man's property, how do they then follow or find him when he leaves and goes to a random location? Why would they lie in wait all night? Why would they get lucky and find him in a remote mountain region only after he's already got himself lost (self admittedly) and reported it to friends? It doesn't make any sense.

No.

It might explain why he decided to flee the area and go to remote Masca.

To lose the irate guy.

And the rest is history.

JMO

It could be that it explains why Jay went off road and didn't seek help, wasn't seen by anyone, etc, if he was, hypothetically, carrying something stolen.
It doesn't necessarily mean that he was found and some kind of revenge happened, just explains why he may have been walking away from the main road.

This sentence jumped out at me from the article linked above:
"It is not clear how this incident could be linked to Jay's disappearance, but one friend suggested he could've gone to look for the watch."

Seems a very odd thing to say (if it was said at all).

No.

It might explain why he decided to flee the area and go to remote Masca.

To lose the irate guy.

And the rest is history.

JMO
That makes sense I suppose, but then it doesn't really help with regards to finding him any more than any other theory for why he ended up there. Just not sure how it all ties together.

Unless why he ended up there implies something about where he would ultimately be found?

Also, the article linked definitely implies a kidnap/attack, so I'm just going by what the new theory states.

Last edited:
Intriguingly, in this light, I can reveal that local police are now investigating a scuffle outside Papagayo Beach Club shortly after closing time on Monday, June 17 — the most crucial hours in Jay's disappearance — in which a burly Eastern European man allegedly had a valuable Rolex watch stolen.

Last Friday, one of Slater's friends, who had come to Tenerife to join the hunt, told detectives that the early morning incident led directly to Jay going missing. Officers are now examining CCTV footage from the venue's security cameras.

One theory now understood to be on the table is that the Rolex had somehow ended up at the remote mountain cottage to which Slater had travelled, and that he fled into the wilderness in an ill-fated attempt to steal it.
*idk why I assumed that Jay's best friend Brad was also a partier with the group but he came to join the hunt. Did he just arrive and thats why its late to be reported? But hasn't Brad's mom been here since the beginning of searching to support Jays mom? Would she already been aware of this info?

* eta: it is confusing. This report says Brad and Jay had been together. Im not sure Iunderstand how it fits with the timeline.

An emotional Brad Hargreaves said that he heard the teenager sliding on gravel and that he had encouraged him to order a taxi, after they realised he had travelled miles away from their accommodation
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-missing-latest--search-update-b2571037.html

Last edited:
Intriguingly, in this light, I can reveal that local police are now investigating a scuffle outside Papagayo Beach Club shortly after closing time on Monday, June 17 — the most crucial hours in Jay's disappearance — in which a burly Eastern European man allegedly had a valuable Rolex watch stolen.

Last Friday, one of Slater's friends, who had come to Tenerife to join the hunt, told detectives that the early morning incident led directly to Jay going missing. Officers are now examining CCTV footage from the venue's security cameras.

One theory now understood to be on the table is that the Rolex had somehow ended up at the remote mountain cottage to which Slater had travelled, and that he fled into the wilderness in an ill-fated attempt to steal it.
I don't think that theory is very likely, do they mean fled into the wilderness after an attempt to steal a watch? if not why would a watch be in the wilderness for him to attempt to steal it?

It also doesn't tie in with Brad's account of a jokey phone call about walking home either, you link doesn't work for me but I'd be very interested in what they think a timeline would be for this theory?

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CosDog
Back