Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I have never been in the area he was but the main road looked incredibly scary to walk on, especially with drivers driving on the right, instead of the left, I would not have felt safe walking on such roads, especially with the possibility a first timer like him may not have known Spanish drive on the right

I can imagine him getting freaked out walking on mountain roads and wanting to get off the road
Do we know if the spanish LE have made an appeal to anyone who was driving that road and may have seen Jay to contact them?

Do we know if the spanish LE have made an appeal to anyone who was driving that road and may have seen Jay to contact them?
I imagine they did.
Or at least checked whatever cameras there are for vehicles behaving suspiciously.

I still think a RTA is the most likely scenario..
BUT, if he was hit on the road I imagine the dogs would have picked up his scent.

Do we know why the mountain rescue wasn't notified immediately after he was reported missing?

To me it's strange. At least where I'm from the mountain rescue will start the search/rescue operations as soon as physically possible.

Is this a standard procedure in Spain to wait a certain period of time before the search starts?

Do we know why the mountain rescue wasn't notified immediately after he was reported missing?

To me it's strange. At least where I'm from the mountain rescue will start the search/rescue operations as soon as physically possible.

Is this a standard procedure in Spain to wait a certain period of time before the search starts?
when do you believe they were notified and do you have a link please?

Hope there are answers for the family with this large foot search today.
A reporter on TV at the scene last week did say parts of the areas were unable to be seen by drones and helicopter
This. They have searched these areas, but admittedly not all on foot. We all know that in these types of search you can walk right past a body too. Just hoping the scale of today’s search yields some results.

Volunteer Juan Garcia told Sky News: “It’s hard, it’s a very difficult area and very hard to walk. A few kilometers take a long time.”

A well-placed source from The Civil Guard said: “No-one at the moment is talking about the search being brought to an end, even though it’s very unlikely Jay has survived if he got lost in the mountains in the way we were told he did."

Lucy said she reported him missing to Police that morning but they may not have called in SAR until the next day when he had still not returned

And he wasn't exactly a hiker/mountain climber,
but a missing teen from the rave festival.
And had a bus stop next to the rental.

I doubt any Police in any country would start combing the mountains the minute they were notified.

JMO

Volunteer Juan Garcia told Sky News: “It’s hard, it’s a very difficult area and very hard to walk. A few kilometers take a long time.”

A well-placed source from The Civil Guard said: “No-one at the moment is talking about the search being brought to an end, even though it’s very unlikely Jay has survived if he got lost in the mountains in the way we were told he did."
The wording is interesting " if he got lost in the mountains in the way we were told he did ". A big IF in MOO

Rolex is also a name for the drug ecstacy...not necessarily an expensive watch. Unclear which was (allegedly) stolen given the complexity of this case
So now it's alleged that either an expensive watch or drugs were stolen outside the nightclub. Would this have any bearing on his disappearance? Possibly. This case gets more convoluted every day!

And he wasn't exactly a hiker/mountain climber,
but a missing teen from the rave festival.
And had a bus stop next to the rental.

I doubt any Police in any country would start combing the mountains the minute they were notified.

JMO
He was reported lost in mountains and injured.
Doesn't need to be a hiker. I'd expect they'd at least send a patrol to check the area if they didn't believe he was on the trail

He was reported lost in mountains and injured.
Doesn't need to be a hiker. I'd expect they'd at least send a patrol to check the area if they didn't believe he was on the trail
Apologies. I sent before finishing typing.

What I wanted to add that it wasn't the case of someone disappearing after the rave and family not being able to find them

He himself asked for help because he was lost.

Good point. Not sure when they were notified.
According to the Standard's timeline the police and mountain rescue search hasn't started until Tuesday morning. My question is is the delay normal? If it is, that would definitely put me off ever hiking in Spain

Timeline: The search for missing teenager Jay Slater in Tenerife

Edit: typo
Are you English?

I ask because it would be a huge waste of resources if mountain rescue was mobilised for person on an English summer lad's trip who was late getting back from a night of drinking/drugs/after partying, that's pretty standard stuff for that type of trip ime

We're hearing about the one case where someone didn't come home, not all of the ones where a hungover teen rolls up later in the day the worse for wear.

I may be wrong but I get the impression you might be from somewhere that mountain hiking is routine, very much not the case for Jay and his group

Are you English?

I ask because it would be a huge waste of resources if mountain rescue was mobilised for person on an English summer lad's trip who was late getting back from a night of drinking/drugs/after partying, that's pretty standard stuff for that type of trip ime

We're hearing about the one case where someone didn't come home, not all of the ones where a hungover teen rolls up later in the day the worse for wear.

I may be wrong but I get the impression you might be from somewhere that mountain hiking is routine, very much not the case for Jay and his group
Even if the person said they need help because they are lost, dehydrated and injured? I definitely do not think it'd be a waste of resources in that case.

Charging them for the search and rescue is a different topic.

So now it's alleged that either an expensive watch or drugs were stolen outside the nightclub. Would this have any bearing on his disappearance? Possibly. This case gets more convoluted every day!

The article that mentions an incident, also mentions that they are checking to see if there is actually a connection. Which implies there is no clear connection. It was a fight outside a rather large rave, probably one of many altercations that night. I guess they’d have to check anything that could be linked - and they do state they are looking at other alternatives as part of the investigation. For me though, clearly not linked at all or convoluted. Lost in the wilderness, by his own admission.

During a press conference this morning at Mirador La Cruz de Hilda, a key location in the search, the Civil Guard discussed the challenges they've faced while trying to locate Jay. "We know to a certain science that he was here because the coverage of his phone its undeniable that he was around this point. And that's where we have difficulties, because once you turn off your phone, it can no longer be traced," they explained.

"So while he was walking - and we don't know how long he could have walked for - with his phone switched off, no antenna is going to pick that up. And the technology we have - it traces phones, but not people. We have certain clues, and we have to stick to those."

When asked about 'the two English men - when did he and when will you talk to them?

' Mr Martin responded: "The part of the investigators on the case - which isn't us, we are in charge of actually doing the search on the mountain - they are the ones in charge of doing the investigation. They have already spoken to the men and it didn't have any point of relevance to the case."

"Today feels like the beginning

of one last push

to try to find missing teenager.

View attachment 514119

In a corner of Tenerife,
a winding, narrow road takes you towards a small village called Masca.
At points on the route, the view of the sea below and the mountains above is breathtaking.

In the 13 days since the disappearance of Jay Slater,
a 19-year-old apprentice bricklayer from Lancashire,
the hikers and tourists who come to Masca have been joined by two more groups of people.

The first are the emergency services,
including the civil guard, volunteer firefighters
and mountain rescue teams
carrying out the so-far unsuccessful search for Jay.

The second group are journalists,
trying to understand a case shrouded in speculation and questions.

It's a period that promises to be pivotal,
with the Spanish Civil Guard calling on volunteer agencies such as Civil Protection and firefighters,
as well as
'individual volunteers who are experts in rugged search terrain'.

In a case that has seen every twist and turn followed in places well beyond the rugged terrain of North West Tenerife,
today feels like the beginning of one last push to try to find Jay Slater."

Summary of this case

"Volunteers to begin huge search for Jay Slater.

The search will focus on the ravines and trails around the village of Masca in the Rural de Teno national park,

and will start from the Mirador de la Cruz de Hilda restaurant at 09:00 BST.

View attachment 514120

Specially trained dogs have been used in the search."

what are those plastic looking box things??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back