Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

I feel very uneasy about the affair. It is currently £43,183 of a £30,000 (raised from 10k I believe) target. Has any of this money been given to or donated to any of the SAR teams? If so, I've not heard it. Did they even invite them all to a restaurant at the end of the day (okay I know the family may not feel like that but they don't have to be there, just pay). How many "friends and family" are currently out there being funded by ? the only ones I've noticed vaguely searching were his dad and brother.

Edit, for some reason the "" is missing from the "affair" in the first sentence.

Weird, the name of the fund raising I have tried to use is missing (assume the site doesn't like it?) but we all know what it is.

Last edited:
Asked if the sea can be reached directly from the search area, Brigadier Cipriano Martin, Chief of the Guardia Civil's Mountain Rescue unit, told the BBC: "You can reach the sea, in fact last Saturday I went along the whole path - there are old paths which are only occasionally used because it's a cliff with very little attraction for sporting purposes.

"But you can reach the beach along them, so I reached the beach. We didn't find anything. It's a path that goes above and not along the bottom of the cliff, it has drops, and what's needed are ropes to get down and we also know he was not equipped for that.

"There are rocky drops that you cannot get beyond, you can only get down with a harness and ropes - the people searching that spot today will have to turn around I think, because they don't have the necessary equipment, and anyway the best that Jay could do was simply to walk."

The main problem I am having is that we have no way to verify the tone of the calls Jay made.
Brad said that on his call, Jay sounded like he was in good spirits. Now that would rule out that something bad happened at the house. Of course, he could still be giddy with glee if he did get away with taking something from the house because of the thrill. But the way Brad described it, it just sounded like he was happy/high and ready to get back home.

Perfectly sensible that she knows the island of Majorca that well that she can dive straight to a random house based on nothin other than two photographs (one of them his feet)

In the Snapchat photo of his feet he literally places his location prominently over the center of the image. Have you not seen it? It placed him squarely around Parque Rural de Teno, significantly reducing the search area to the relatively small number of properties there. The photo also shows the doorstep of the house.

Once you have those two bits of info, plus whatever she was additionally told on the call, you have more than enough to get up there and have a drive around hoping you recognise something. And she did.

Sorry, I’m just a bit uncomfortable with implying something about what the friend knows based on very selectively chosen info.

Speaking on GB News, Anne said the fact the police have only ramped up their efforts in recent days shows they “might know something we don’t”.

“Otherwise, they’re just left hanging in limbo.”

Anne commented: “I can’t help wondering what you’re meant to think.

“The fact that the police are still searching, you would thought they must have come to the assumption that he must be dead.

“It’s just that they haven’t found his body yet. Wouldn’t they give up searching? They’re still spending money on searching
*Jay and his mom need a miracle. I believe...miracles happen every day.

I agree that the simplest of explanations is the most likely. As you rightly say, the two men were spoken to by the Police and allowed to fly home to the UK. I think you are spot on - he got lost and sadly, it is not likely to have a happy ending. He was not equipped for the journey he set out on, he could not have had much sleep and may well have had something in his system. Even the experienced mountain hikers have stated how difficult the terrain is. I do wonder how long the search will continue before it is scaled down and called off. I wonder how his family will react if and when this happens. I hope they find him. There was an article about people going missing in Tenerife every year and how some are not found for many months or never found.

@CoverMeCagney once shared an interesting (and sad) article about a woman who went missing (was it Scotland?) after an argument with her husband at a hotel they were staying at. She went for a walk and was never seen for years. Search teams did the usual but didn't find her. Then one day her friend from, iirc over the Pond, went to search the woods/countryside and found her remains. It was just metres from where the search teams had been looking. I'm hoping CoverMeCagney can remind me the name of the person as its on websleuths and might help people understand how hard it is to find someone missing in such conditions and a body can be unfound for many years.

The Daily Mail is reporting that Spanish police have ended the search for Jay Slater. According to the DM report, a spokesperson for Tenerife police said: 'The search is now over but the investigation remains open.' The spokesperson refused to elaborate on whether it was now a criminal investigation.

Full article in the Daily Mail

@CoverMeCagney once shared an interesting (and sad) article about a woman who went missing (was it Scotland?) after an argument with her husband at a hotel they were staying at. She went for a walk and was never seen for years. Search teams did the usual but didn't find her. Then one day her friend from, iirc over the Pond, went to search the woods/countryside and found her remains. It was just metres from where the search teams had been looking. I'm hoping CoverMeCagney can remind me the name of the person as its on websleuths and might help people understand how hard it is to find someone missing in such conditions and a body can be unfound for many years.

Susan McLean I think?

Last edited:
It will be sad and difficult for all his family and friends to accept the search being called off but I think it was inevitable that this would happen as they have not found him. There are so many people who go missing all over the world and many will not have had the exposure and resources that this one has had. It is sad that they have not found him as the family will want closure and now they are left not knowing what has happened or where he is but in reality how long are the teams supposed to keep looking. I hope and pray that he is found. It will be interesting to see how his family react to it being called off. I also wonder what will happen with the ongoing fundraiser. Has MW made any further statements?

Susan McLean, thank you for remembering her. By far the most heart warming and awe inspiring case I’ve ever known on here, with Websleuthers actually on the ground. Despite the sad ending it’s well worth a read from start to finish if anyone has a spare hour.

It certainly wasn’t the first - or last - time that organised searches have missed a body in plain sight. I hope one day Jay is found too.

The search formally ended at 10am on Sunday morning, with media turning up to the usual viewpoint meeting spot at the search site only to find it deserted.

A well-placed source said: “The daily operation which has been going on in and around Masca close to where Jay was last seen has been brought to an end. If any information comes in that merits a new search though it will be acted upon.

“My understanding is Jay’s parents have been informed of what obviously is a major development. Nothing of any relevance was found during yesterday’s large-scale search.”

It will be sad and difficult for all his family and friends to accept the search being called off but I think it was inevitable that this would happen as they have not found him. There are so many people who go missing all over the world and many will not have had the exposure and resources that this one has had. It is sad that they have not found him as the family will want closure and now they are left not knowing what has happened or where he is but in reality how long are the teams supposed to keep looking. I hope and pray that he is found. It will be interesting to see how his family react to it being called off. I also wonder what will happen with the ongoing fundraiser. Has MW made any further statements?

I agree.

Looking at the pictures of searches it struck me how his clothes blended into the terrain:
grey and green.

In fact,
the green stripe of his t-shirt was pale green of the cacti there!

One day Jay will be found by a random hiker I guess.

Then the family would be able to bury him properly.

Condolences to family and all friends :(

JMO

Last edited:
Not surprising as hardly anyone showed up. 30 people searching that huge landscape is not enough. Shows how much actual interest there is in finding him. Almost 300K people in one of the FB groups, several in Tenerife, just there to argue. imo. And I hope people are reporting the fundraiser, because that could have been used to get a lot more people out and he could have been found by now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CosDog
Back