Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If Quassim (and his friend) were/was running a cannabis cafe in the local area, then, assuming that there is some form of legal licensing and checking of such places, they and their backgrounds would be well-known to the local police who turned up at the Masca airbnb looking for Jay, questioned them and declared then 'irrelevant' and free to leave the country next day?
they sold a lot more than just cannabis according to the article up thread

So if it was, surely who ever has the cannabis place, you would think they lived in Tenerife, not getting an Airbnb for a couple of days then go back to uk
Doubt he was, only rapper I have heard of is Eminem but if this guy won MOBO awards etc he is probably well known among young people so would likely get mobbed if he was on the strip/at a rave, he is probably too high profile to have been the other guy

Air bnb man said he gave jay a camel cigarette. They are yuk if you are used to smoking uk brands.
Someone a few pages ago said the bars and cafes opened early up the mountains, so I am now happier that jay got his cigarettes and in that case I believe he may have willingly gone off road.

The watch thing is a red herring, even if he stole it where would he sell it? it was his first trip abroad, wet behind the ears, no contacts or known fences in Tenerife to sell to if he had run off with a watch from Quasssim’s airbnb, not like he could sell it in a random bar
Not necessarily a red herring. I've known plenty of people (particularly in my late teens/early 20s) who would steal things from parties and not even give it a second thought. I was one of them.

I can only speak for myself, but it wasn't done maliciously. My judgement would be completely clouded by drink and drugs, I would see something that looked valuable to me and just take it, using the logic that there were so many people at the party that there's no chance I would be suspected.

I found a wallet down the back of a couch once and immediately stuck it in my pocket - didn't even think to check if there was anything of value inside.
Once at a party I went into the home's office/study and opened a drawer to find around $100 dollars in loose notes and an ounce of cannabis. Again, straight in the pocket (and straight to the Foreign Exchange the next day).
These are just two examples. I can't really explain it, it was compulsive. I didn't need the money, or have any ill will to whoever I'd stolen from. I just saw it and without thinking, took it.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the same had transpired with Jay.
He's 19, potentially involved in petty theft back home (based on his history and JMO) and likely still has clouded judgement from whatever he had been taking a few hours earlier.
He's not thinking about how he's going to sell it. He's just looking at £10K of watch sitting on a table while his two hosts are asleep and thinking 'I could have that to myself'.

Doubt he was, only rapper I have heard of is Eminem but if this guy won MOBO awards etc he is probably well known among young people so would likely get mobbed if he was on the strip/at a rave, he is probably too high profile to have been the other guy
He hasn't won any MOBO awards. He was part of the entourage of somebody who won a MOBO award. This could mean that he's the guys friend, the guy's dealer, an investor, a part-owner of the production studio, literally anything.
All it means is that he was invited up onto stage by the winner.

He hasn't won any MOBO awards. He was part of the entourage of somebody who won a MOBO award. This could mean that he's the guys friend, the guy's dealer, an investor, a part-owner of the production studio, literally anything.
All it means is that he was invited up onto stage by the winner.
he is close friends and works for the rapper concerned

"Ofelia Medina Hernandez runs a cafe above the Airbnb and says she saw Jay at about 8am on 17 June.

'He asked twice what time the bus came',
she told us.
'He came back and he asked me again, and I told him again, at 10 o'clock'.

'Later I got in my car, and I saw him, he was walking quickly, but I didn't see him again after that', she added."

My theory about Ofelia vs "unknown couple"
For @Helen_Stewart :)

- early Monday morning.
Ofelia (in charge of the cafe) needs to do shopping as cafe opens at 10 am.
She is accompanied by a man, probably an employee.

- Dang!
The car is blocked by the bnb guests
She buzzes the bell, sleepy Q appears, Jay (bored to death) hot on his heels.
Q moves the car,
Jay asks Ofelia about the bus.
(Understanding wrongly that bus is every 10 minutes).

Jay is ready to leave.
Q tells him the bus is not coming now, offers a lift later.
Jay says
"Nah, I'm hungry', etc
Q: "Do what you want" and goes to sleep.

Jay goes to the bus stop,
sees Ofelia again and asks about the bus for the second time.

At last understands it is at 10, so decides to walk ,
not wanting to wait for 2 hours in this God's forsaken place.

- Jay marches quickly but in opposite direction to the route of the bus.
Ofelia sees him when travelling by car, but does not speak to him again.

The rest is history/mystery.

Well if this is correct- it would explain Ophelia saying “WE weren’t to blame”- but to blame for what becomes the new question, especially as we have now been told 2 cars were being moved as Jay was stood talking to Ophelia.

I don’t think we have learnt much since week one of the search. From the start it seemed that the matter was drug related and that jay’s friends were not telling the truth, or at least telling the whole of what they knew. The story never sounded right. Over the past three or four weeks it has become more obvious that the matter is drug related and people are too scared to talk. It seems most likely that Jay is dead. The police don’t seem that interested, I wonder how this will end? Another unsolved mystery slowly forgotten?

That's a dubious link at best. There is such a broad range of colloquial 'street' names for recreational drugs that you could literally connect any noun to some drug or another.

The designer drug Cake, for example, can also be referred to as:

Loonytoad Quack
Rustledust
Chronic Basildon Doughnut
Joss Ackland's Spunky Backpack
Bromicide
Ponce on the Heath
Cool Thwacks & Charlie
Argue Barmies
and Wattie Jacques Pretentious Cheese Wog

Don't even get me started on all the slang terms for Cannabis.

You been bitten by some kind of cactus, Kor? :p

I've just had a thought:

What if Ayub Q wasn't involved in making Jay disappear, but the second man 'Jonny Vegas'  was?

There has been plenty of SM speculation as to what Jonny Vegas' real identity is, but Ayub Q refuses to discuss the identity of the other man (and if MSM reports are accurate, has even assumed the 'Jonny Vegas' identity himself, which seems incredibly odd).

Assuming that Jay did steal the watch, and the theft was discovered when the two men woke up, what if only 'Jonny Vegas' went after Jay and on returning prepped Ayub Q on what to say should anyone come around looking for answers?

We know that Ayub Q has had previously convictions for drugs related offences, but what if he was the fall guy, taking the jail time to protect somebody higher up in the organisation?
What if the parts of his story about offering Jay a bed, a shower, and generally being a relativy decent stand-up guy are true? And perhaps he saw a little of Jay in himself.

This would explain why Ayub Q has been relatively forthcoming with the media whilst remaining completely tight-lipped over the identity of the second man. It would also explain why his story has so many unnecessary details - the more imagery your story has (the Camel cigarettes, the black trainers, etc) the easier it is to remember.

Maybe this 'Jonny Vegas' is a particularly ruthless type that would quite happily kill a teenager over the theft of a watch, and Ayub is just as scared of him as everyone else?

Last edited:
The bus stop is 10 paces from the door of the Casa. It makes sense that it was Ofelia asking for the car to be moved and when AQ was sitting in the car said he saw J talking to Ofelia about the bus in his rear view mirror. It's her B&B and her cafe adjoining the B&B so presumably she parks her car on her property.

Of course this has not been confirmed though.
So why did he state it was a 'couple' that asked him to move the car? It doesn't make sense that it would be Ophelia's husband, son, worker, whatever as another poster has said. I doubt she would need someone else with her while asking someone to move their car.

IIRC, the consumption of cannabis had been decriminalised in Spain. These cafes are essentially just places where cannabis consumption is permitted by the owners. There's no licensing required as they're not technically (officially) selling any product.
I just had a look on google and found a few sites that advise on using cannabis Cafes in Tenerife (cannabis clubs) I think the least requirement would be that any business person would need local permission to operate their stated business in their stated property.
Below is from the website of tenerifeguru.com. This all suggests to me that operators would be known to the authorities.
And also that it is strange for Two English guys, each with a recent criminal past involving drugs, to be flying back and forth to run a cannabis club in Tenerife?

Clubs must obtain a Cannabis Social Club Licence from the Spanish government. In Tenerife, there is currently a moratorium on any new licences being issued;
  • Clubs must then apply to the local Ayuntamiento (Town Hall) for a business opening licence, tailored to the club’s premises and its specifications. Many Town Halls now have stringent requirements for issuing opening licences to Cannabis Social Clubs;
  • Clubs should be located at street level, be closed to the public and ensure no club activity is visible, or odour detectable, from any public area;……….etc.

That's a dubious link at best. There is such a broad range of colloquial 'street' names for recreational drugs that you could literally connect any noun to some drug or another.

The designer drug Cake, for example, can also be referred to as:

Loonytoad Quack
Rustledust
Chronic Basildon Doughnut
Joss Ackland's Spunky Backpack
Bromicide
Ponce on the Heath
Cool Thwacks & Charlie
Argue Barmies
and Wattie Jacques Pretentious Cheese Wog

Don't even get me started on all the slang terms for Cannabis.
Having worked for HM Customs and Excise and having the job of training officers, there was a book which had the street names for various drugs, each drug had over a hundred names and that was back in 1988 before the invention of many modern types.

I recon you’d want to get rid of a watch like that pretty fast if it was stolen, say if you could stop for juice somewhere, maybe meet someone there to do a deal, now you have a bag of cash, and no reason to hang around with the guys that helped with the transaction. You may as well head home.
By stop for juice do you mean petrol?

IMO it's super unlikely that Jay would any contact details for Tenerifian watch fences nor the mental capability to organise some kind of secret exchange for a bag of money and even less likely that the fence would head up the mountains pre 9am to meet a random English lad.

JMO

By stop for juice do you mean petrol?

IMO it's super unlikely that Jay would any contact details for Tenerifian watch fences nor the mental capability to organise some kind of secret exchange for a bag of money and even less likely that the fence would head up the mountains pre 9am to meet a random English lad.

JMO
It's also unlikely Jay had thought that far ahead when/if he stole the watch.

Air bnb man said he gave jay a camel cigarette. They are yuk if you are used to smoking uk brands.
Someone a few pages ago said the bars and cafes opened early up the mountains, so I am now happier that jay got his cigarettes and in that case I believe he may have willingly gone off road.
If he's bought cigarettes I think we'd know about it by now. MWT has been speaking to everyone, I can't believe there's an actual witness that hasn't been found yet. The cigarette buying options aren't exactly going to be numerous up the mountain.

JMO

So why did he state it was a 'couple' that asked him to move the car? It doesn't make sense that it would be Ophelia's husband, son, worker, whatever as another poster has said. I doubt she would need someone else with her while asking someone to move their car.
I don't see it as a question of need but if two people are going to get in a car which is close to the door of the airbnb and they are chatting it would be normal to carry on the conversation while moving a step or two towards the door to ask for the car to be moved.

And baring in mind the fake rolex watches are 10 a penny in tenerife, does a 19 year old trainee bricklayer from a working class background really know a real rolex when he sees one... off his head at silly o clock in the morning, it's a big risk if he did all of this unpremeditated
I was thinking it could be THE watch that was allegedly stolen some months ago from the owner of Potter's Garden . Was he one of the two JS was making friends with earlier in the holiday ?
Villians who've been jailed in the UK for illegal drugs offences do not to my mind have much in common with a 19 yr old lad on holiday with , as a former police officer told The Manchester Evening News , " a chequered past" except drugs and there's something in it for all concerned .

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veronica Farnsworth