Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire their efforts but both could be endangering their health . Wouldn't birds of prey have been seen had there been a decomposing body around ?
They could, especially in extreme heat, but imagine if it was one of your relatives and you were desperate to find them.
I'm leaning towards the opinion that he is elsewhere, hence no scavenger activity which would have been noticeable in the first couple of weeks.

I'm surprised they haven't done one before now. It's usually one of the first things the family does when someone goes missing. Also offering a reward, no matter how small. JMO.
What we think of as 'normal' behaviour by family and police... press conferences, appeals, rewards... are very specific to a handful of English speaking countries, and not done in much of the rest of the world.

It would be seen as very odd to do these things in many other countries.

MOO

*it's sometimes helpful to go back to the beginning when additional information has since come forth

Debbie added: “Police have been into Jay’s room today. I’ve been in his room as well. But everything of Jay's was neatly hung up, it’s just a normal room and there’s nothing untoward there.

“His passport was there along with all his euros which I’ve got now. I’m not sure he had any money on him when he made that last call to his friend Lucy on Monday morning before he vanished.

“But he had his bank card and I’ve checked his bank because I can get into his account online and there’s nothing gone out since he was on Veronica’s Strip in Playa de Las Americas earlier.

“He and his friend Brad who he flew out here with would have been getting up tomorrow and flying home. They had a flight tomorrow morning. I’ve got the tickets as well as Jay’s passport which has had a stop put on it by the British authorities before they knew it was in my possession.

“Brad’s going to stay now. No-one’s going to go to the airport just in case Jay turns up there because I know for a fact he would have been in contact with someone and won’t be suddenly reappearing there without warning.

"I just think he's being held against his will," Duncan said. "He's not a stupid lad. He wouldn't have gone walking down bloody mountains.

"There's a road there with tourists and buses and properties, He's not that daft."

Speaking from near Rural de Teno park in northwest Tenerife, Lucy Mae said: "Jay's not stupid, it was just before 9 o’clock in the morning when he rang me so broad daylight and the area he was in is full of hikers.

Trying to hold back her emotions, Lucy recounted today where Jay was last known to be. "He was in the mountains but it was just off a main road so this is what I don't understand. He's not stupid, in my mind he's not going to go off a main path and down a sheer drop or cliffs unless he's been forced down by someone who could have been following him."

"And he's not a stupid boy - he's got some nous about him.

"If he saw someone, the first thing he would do is say 'I need to ring my mum' - I know that for a fact. He would never ever have his mum worrying like this.

“As soon as I drove up there I knew he wasn’t going to [go off the road]. He’s not stupid. When I saw the police officers I asked them seriously, ‘Would you like to get off the road?’ So I think that woke them up a little bit.”

"He's not stupid. If he didn't have a room key he could have gone to reception for a replacement."

Last edited:
*it's sometimes helpful to go back to the beginning when additional information has since come forth

Debbie added: “Police have been into Jay’s room today. I’ve been in his room as well. But everything of Jay's was neatly hung up, it’s just a normal room and there’s nothing untoward there.

“His passport was there along with all his euros which I’ve got now. I’m not sure he had any money on him when he made that last call to his friend Lucy on Monday morning before he vanished.

“But he had his bank card and I’ve checked his bank because I can get into his account online and there’s nothing gone out since he was on Veronica’s Strip in Playa de Las Americas earlier.

“He and his friend Brad who he flew out here with would have been getting up tomorrow and flying home. They had a flight tomorrow morning. I’ve got the tickets as well as Jay’s passport which has had a stop put on it by the British authorities before they knew it was in my possession.

“Brad’s going to stay now. No-one’s going to go to the airport just in case Jay turns up there because I know for a fact he would have been in contact with someone and won’t be suddenly reappearing there without warning.
Agree that it’s great to revisit what we know from the start. Thank you for posting this.

I thought this was interesting (BBM):

“His passport was there along with all his euros which I’ve got now.”

One of the theories around the suggested drugs connection was that he was out of money - I have seen, but now can’t find - claims that he had no money left and hence there was an argument for him getting into debt to acquire drugs, or agreeing maybe to some quid pro quo on receiving/selling.

“All his euros” doesn’t sound like he was down to his last handful of change therefore potentially discredits that suggestion.

This constant bashing Spanish Police is getting tiresome.

JMO
I think it is more frustration on the familys part. With all the theories speculation etc etc it must be horrible for them.
The Language barrier must be a problem and also the way The Spanish Police handle these things will be totally different to UK. It was the same with the Madeline McCann case many critisized the Portugese police too. Unfortunately there has also been a lot of Press about corruption within the Spanish police and the drugs trade which hasn't helped.
MOO

I think it is more frustration on the familys part. With all the theories speculation etc etc it must be horrible for them.
The Language barrier must be a problem and also the way The Spanish Police handle these things will be totally different to UK. It was the same with the Madeline McCann case many critisized the Portugese police too. Unfortunately there has also been a lot of Press about corruption within the Spanish police and the drugs trade which hasn't helped.
MOO
Agree.

It’s in stark contrast to how British police operate, they hold press conferences, put out appeals, have family liaison officers to keep the family up to date on progress, re-enactments of last steps. It won’t be what the family are used too. Coupled with as you say previous reports of corruption, I probably wouldn’t be feeling too confident either.

The very idea that anyone could have a vested interest in kidnapping Jay or holding him to ransom is completely delusional IMO and only a mother could come up with such notions! JMO MOO
Maybe, knowing her son, she doesnt think its outside the realms of possibility…she would knows his type, how impressionable he may not be etc Essentially she has a much better idea than us-and as she has said shes been and worked there. She had that discussion with him already too so in her head shes no doubt kicking herself…the seed was planted.
To her its a very real possibility.

Agree.

It’s in stark contrast to how British police operate, they hold press conferences, put out appeals, have family liaison officers to keep the family up to date on progress, re-enactments of last steps. It won’t be what the family are used too. Coupled with as you say previous reports of corruption, I probably wouldn’t be feeling too confident either.
I do feel really sorry for the family. Having a child missing is every parents nightmare. It happening Abroad is horrific,
Are the British Consulate helping them I wonder? Surely they should be liasing between family and police ?

I do feel really sorry for the family. Having a child missing is every parents nightmare. It happening Abroad is horrific,
Are the British Consulate helping them I wonder? Surely they should be liasing between family and police ?
I believe it was reported the consulate was helping them. I think this is another inconsistency in the case, I vividly remember saying the consulate was keeping them briefed, but now all we hear from the family is how they have no clue what’s going on.

It’s difficult to know if it’s changed, or what’s the truth!

Some interesting posts in the last hour so.

Perhaps we are also underestimating just how far he could have walked? Much of the terrain in entirely passable and there are many established and slightly less trodden paths up there. Looking at the established paths, there are over 30 miles worth between Masca and El Molledo alone from what I've measured. It was warm, but it wasn't deadly temperatures. Perhaps he walked for many hours before succumbing to an accident or exposure from the cold throughout the night? The area is vast and he could be curled up under a bush, it could be that simple in terms of him not being found yet.

However, linking into the earlier posts, just how busy were the paths that day/morning with hikers?

I agree but it may jeopardise the investigation to reveal anything to the family. Especially as they are constantly talking to the press.
I'm sure if the parents were told to keep information about their son being still alive they would keep it private especially if they were told it could jeopardise Jay's life to reveal to anyone outside of themselves they are using the press to keep jay prominent in people's minds so he is not just another number on a missing list I'm sure they would be smart enough to know when to keep quiet too do you not think

Perhaps we are also underestimating just how far he could have walked? Much of the terrain in entirely passable and there are many established and slightly less trodden paths up there. Looking at the established paths, there are over 30 miles worth between Masca and El Molledo alone from what I've measured. It was warm, but it wasn't deadly temperatures. Perhaps he walked for many hours before succumbing to an accident or exposure from the cold throughout the night? The area is vast and he could be curled up under a bush, it could be that simple in terms of him not being found yet.

However, linking into the earlier posts, just how busy were the paths that day/morning with hikers?
The most likely theory imho. Even if his phone went from 1% to 0% after last ping he could have carried on for a few hours, searching for him is not like looking for a needle in a haystack but a needle in a whole field of haystacks

Yes that’s the problem I can see - he may have left the road but he could have rejoined it and then gone on a different path completely - he could realistically be anywhere. JMO.

A source close to the case told the Mirror that investigators are still hoping to find the 19-year-old alive and are not working on the basis he was "missing feared dead".

Renewed hope? I wonder who "the source close to the case" is? Can this even be trusted?
Lets say Jay is alive...what theories do we have? Is that even something we are allowed to discuss? Apologies if not...
Do you think perhaps jay is being held somewhere for his own safety by friends of ayub maybe jay reclaimed a watch that had already been stolen and not just robbed off some random person and before the gangsters came a knocking ayub got him offside without been seen maybe ophelia is in on the cover up as she doesn't want any damage to come to her property ..I need to stop watching crime dramas

One possibility is he was trying to cover his tracks, for whatever resaon. He walks off the road and into rough terrain, then throws his phone. Then he continues, presumably thinking he was advancing towards a town, a sea resort or similar.

"I just think he's being held against his will," Duncan said. "He's not a stupid lad. He wouldn't have gone walking down bloody mountains.

"There's a road there with tourists and buses and properties, He's not that daft."

Speaking from near Rural de Teno park in northwest Tenerife, Lucy Mae said: "Jay's not stupid, it was just before 9 o’clock in the morning when he rang me so broad daylight and the area he was in is full of hikers.

Trying to hold back her emotions, Lucy recounted today where Jay was last known to be. "He was in the mountains but it was just off a main road so this is what I don't understand. He's not stupid, in my mind he's not going to go off a main path and down a sheer drop or cliffs unless he's been forced down by someone who could have been following him."

"And he's not a stupid boy - he's got some nous about him.

"If he saw someone, the first thing he would do is say 'I need to ring my mum' - I know that for a fact. He would never ever have his mum worrying like this.

“As soon as I drove up there I knew he wasn’t going to [go off the road]. He’s not stupid. When I saw the police officers I asked them seriously, ‘Would you like to get off the road?’ So I think that woke them up a little bit.”

"He's not stupid. If he didn't have a room key he could have gone to reception for a replacement."
But we only have Lucy who has also told us he was off the road? The only other person who spoke to him was Brad and he was next to the road then as he saw him step over the bollards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela