Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
1718708293865.png
"The family of a teenager who has vanished in Tenerife have 'never been so worried' amid a search.
Jay Slater, hailing from Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire, travelled to the Canary Islands for a music festival with his friend Lucy and another friend. The 19-year-old has been reported missing after he decided to stay with pals he made during the holiday after a night out in the early hours of June 17.

Their flat was 'in the middle of nowhere', Lucy revealed to the Manchester Evening News. She said Jay would 'not have realised' the distance it was from their original accommodation.''

It states his phone last known location was in the middle of mountains with nowhere around - this im afraid isn’t looking good.

It says he went off with friends that he met on holiday im guessing this is a polite way of putting that he pulled on the night out IMO hence them not dropping him back the next day (as you’d expect friends to do)

Hoping for the best but fearing the worst. My thoughts go out to his mother who has travelled there this morning.

It states his phone last known location was in the middle of mountains with nowhere around - this im afraid isn’t looking good.
His last known location (on the PR-TF51 hiking trail) is actually not far from the village of Masca, if he had reached a high point he will have realised he is close to several settlements. His survival depends on his ability to find a water source and to not wander far from the trail. If he finds a stream he should be ok until he is found.

Interestingly, I have seen many of images of Aloe Vera and Prickly pear growing in this location in the wild, both of which are edible and a source of water, although he may not be aware of this.

Jay's family are now scared for his life and have launched a desperate rescue effort.

The last known location registered by his phone appeared to place the teenager close to the PR-TF51 hiking trail, several hundred feet above the small village of Masca in southern Tenerife.

But there have been no reported sightings of the teen from hikers.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News about Jay's disappearance, a scared Lucy said: 'He's gone on a night out, he's gone to a friend's house, someone that he has met on holiday.

'One of the people he has met has hired a car out of here, so he's driven them back to his apartment and Jay has gone there not realising how far away it is.

'He's ended up out in the middle of nowhere. Jay was obviously thinking he would be able to get home from there.

'But then in the morning he's set off walking, using his Maps on his phone and ended up in the middle of mountains with nothing around.

'He rang me at about 8 o'clock in the morning saying his phone was on 1 per cent, he said ''I don't know where I am, I need a drink and my phone is about to die''.'

Temperatures in South Tenerife peaked at 26 degrees C yesterday.

His phone then ran out of power with his last known location appearing as being in 'the middle of mountains with nothing around'. The location is within the Rural de Teno Park - or the National Park of Teno - which is a favourite spot for hikers. The nearest town is Santiago del Teide.
2024-06-18-15h06-34.png

2024-06-18-15h16-32.png

I've hiked a bit in that area. The TF51 isn't one of the more popular hiking trails but I can see why it would be highlighted on a Maps app as a sensible option for him and may have appeared popular. Likely that wouldn't show how technical it was or the seriousness of walking it. Tenerife is a volcanic island so trails are often rocky. The area is scrubby and the visibility isn't too bad as opposed to other areas of the island which have more tree cover. The area is remote but there are farms and enclosures, some with a water source, even if that doesn't mean someone lives there full time or visits often. One of the concerns is if he's tried to descend to a village or house - perfectly logical thing to do - easy to get trapped in a ravine (called barranco's) that doesn't have an outlet.

From the DM article Skigh posted above ....

Debbie also told how twisted Brits with 'northern accents' had been phoning her with hidden numbers and claiming they had her son captive and were keeping him because he owed them money.

She said: 'Some of the phone calls I've been getting have been horrible. I just don't know why people would want to do things like this.

'I've been getting lots of prank calls. It's sickening. People ringing me and saying they've got Jay because he owes them money.

I've hiked a bit in that area. The TF51 isn't one of the more popular hiking trails but I can see why it would be highlighted on a Maps app as a sensible option for him and may have appeared popular. Likely that wouldn't show how technical it was or the seriousness of walking it. Tenerife is a volcanic island so trails are often rocky. The area is scrubby and the visibility isn't too bad as opposed to other areas of the island which have more tree cover. The area is remote but there are farms and enclosures, some with a water source, even if that doesn't mean someone lives there full time or visits often. One of the concerns is if he's tried to descend to a village or house - perfectly logical thing to do - easy to get trapped in a ravine (called barranco's) that doesn't have an outlet.
Hi Ocalasunrise thank you for your informed post

Mum of missing Brit Jay Slater flies to Tenerife as search continues The evening news are saying this was a 10 hour walk from where he was staying - if that’s the case then it makes the search teams job incredibly difficult

The mum is now in Tenerife with her eldest son thankfully she’s not alone and has somebody to support her

He must have been staying in the very popular Arona/Playa de las Americas area. The NRG Festival was held in the Hard Rock Cafe in Arona. It's a large entertainment venue.

It doesn't say which resort he was staying in does it? Or have I missed it. Only seen that the walk would have taken 10 hours.
I haven't seen any specific resort mentioned. The most popular cluster of resorts are in the southwest of the island where the music festival was being held (in Adeje). A very rough check on a Google map gives a rough walking time of about 9 hours - albeit on roads - from where approximate area of where he was when he called.

Edit *** Seeing your posts, you'd come to the same conclusion during the time I was posting ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aggie_C