JBaez requests Ex Parte Hearing with Judge Strickland

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i just have a feeling its about how he is getting paid.....per haps who ever is funding JB has some kind of deal with kc.....:behindbar

maybe now that he has said in open court...he does not have a book or tv deal...he needs the state to pay his fees......:eek:

Since he filed this yesterday shouldn't be up on the county website already? Also,don't you think the judge would have responded by now??

It's not, I guess they have computer uploading delays, and the judge never files any response nor would a judge issue any sort of statement in response. What we will see is an opposition filed by the SA, followed by a hearing on the request, and a ruling at that time by the judge.

It's not, I guess they have computer uploading delays, and the judge never files any response nor would a judge issue any sort of statement in response. What we will see is an opposition filed by the SA, followed by a hearing on the request, and a ruling at that time by the judge.

Thanks. What I meant by a response from the judge is if he was going to hear it or throw the motion out?

Great examples. Want to mention though that NONE of the above options allow for ex parte hearings with the judge outside the presence of the SA.
These are examples of motions that may be filed on an ex parte basis, which simply means the judge takes action, either granting/denying/granting in part/etc., with no hearing or argument from anyone, even the requesting party.

Exactly, what makes his motion so unusual is the fact he wishes the hearing to be outside the presence of the SA. The fact that this has to do with Discovery and JB doesn't want the SA to be present is ludicous. I don't think we can stress HOW incredulous this request is- I just can't WAIT to read the SA's response in opposition!

Exactly, what makes his motion so unusual is the fact he wishes the hearing to be outside the presence of the SA. I don't think we can stress HOW incredulous this request is- I just can't WAIT to read the SA's response in opposition!

How long does the SA have to make a response?

Oh cripes, this guy hasn't a clue what he's doing. KC couldn't have picked a worse attorney, which quite frankly, I could care less. I don't think there's a soul out there that has spoken up stating HE's the guy for this case.

I'm on the fence about whether or not they are trying to throw G&C under the bus. In almost every hearing, KC smiles at her parents and JB chats with them afterwards. If they really thought they were responsible for what KC did or had some part in it themselves, wouldn't they be avoiding them as much as possible? Also, those jail house videos back in August would really seem to contradict this when KC tells her parents how much she loves them, misses them, and wants Caylee to be back with them b/c they are the best grandparents ever.

OK. I just went back and read this all again. What JB seems to be saying is that he needs access to certain documents/records that are essential to the defense that he can't get because the SA doesn't have them to turn over in discovery. If he asks the SA to get these records he will get them but tip off the SA to the defense plans.

Adoption records popped into my head? Is that possible?

How about military records for B Snow? M Hopkins?

Mental Health records for witnesses?

You know, if I was a betting person, (which I am not) I would bet 14 cents and a steak sandwich that JB is going to get his request. This could be grounds for appeal and the Judge just might err on the side of caution.
I was thinking military records...or medical records. But there's no way they could request medical records as it would violate client-doctor privilege, right?

I'm on the fence about whether or not they are trying to throw G&C under the bus. In almost every hearing, KC smiles at her parents and JB chats with them afterwards. If they really thought they were responsible for what KC did or had some part in it themselves, wouldn't they be avoiding them as much as possible? Also, those jail house videos back in August would really seem to contradict this when KC tells her parents how much she loves them, misses them, and wants Caylee to be back with them b/c they are the best grandparents ever.
No. What you're seeing now is "official", "corporate", "office" or "workplace" behavior, where the outward conduct does not necessarily match what the person is thinking or feeling inside. They "put their face on" and get the job done while their personal feelings and thoughts are suppressed.

I was thinking military records...or medical records. But there's no way they could request medical records as it would violate client-doctor privilege, right?

Records that are not in the possession of, under the control of, or available to the prosecution might be a possibility -- such as military records.

Even when privileged records such as medical records of another person (not KC or Caylee) are reviewed by the SA under the "interests of justice" exception, the SA cannot redisclose them to the defense without the written authorization of the "holder of the privilege" or the medical or psychotherapy provider.

IMO, a big part of his defense strategy will be to try to discredit LE and SA by making it look like they had tunnel vision on KC, got caught up in the media, and did not fully investigate all leads. I think he wants to create a conspiracy from LE to OSCO against his client. My guess is he prob wants to supenoa LE and Correction Officers phone records to show communication they might have had during the discovery of Caylee and the recording of KC's reaction. He want's to demonstrate an example of bias and possible violation of KC's rights.

No. What you're seeing now is "official", "corporate", "office" or "workplace" behavior, where the outward conduct does not necessarily match what the person is thinking or feeling inside. They "put their face on" and get the job done while their personal feelings and thoughts are suppressed.

I agree - and personally she looks less like she's smiling to me and more like she's baring her teeth...

When my daughter used to smile that way, I knew she was being all kinds of fake nice. oh, yes ma'am! would usually follow. It didn't work.

Interesting article on reasons why Jose would file for an ex parte with the judge:

http://www.mcacp.org/issue56.htm

Severance

Where a defendant seeks to sever the counts of an indictment, the defense must show both an important testimony to give about one count and a genuine need to refrain from testifying about another. This is to be determined in an ex parte, in camera hearing. CPL 200.20(3)(b)(ii).

Investigative services

Where defense counsel seeks county payment for investigative or expert services, County Law § 722-c provides for the application to be made ex parte.

Attorney work product

A prosecution claim of attorney work product may require in camera inspection to determine if the statement is Brady or Rosario material. People v Dockery, 278 AD2d 427, 717 NYS2d 657 (2d Dept 2000).

Grand jury minutes

Where the defense requests inspection of grand jury minutes, the judge must review these in camera. The court may release grand jury minutes, but the prosecution must be given an opportunity beforehand to argue that release of the minutes would not be in the public interest. CPL 210.30(3).

Discovery

With contested discovery, the court may review ex parte or in camera, and grant a protective order. CPL 240.90(3); People v Mobley, 162 AD2d 305, 558 NYS2d 1 (1st Dept 1990); People v Ellis, 188 AD2d 1043, 592 NYS2d 200 (4th Dept 1992); Handling § 8:114. Police employment records are entitled to confidentiality and should be first reviewed in camera prior to any disclosure. Handling § 18:436. Mental health and other private records may require in camera review before being turned over to counsel. People v Arnold, 177 AD2d 633, 576 NYS2d 339 (2d Dept 1991); Handling §§ 8:84, 8:164. Where a social services agency had investigated a sexual abuse allegation, the defendant had a due process right to have the records reviewed in camera. Pennsylvania v Ritchie, 480 US 39 (1987). Ex parte or in camera review may be appropriate with some discovery, but it should be the exception rather than the rule. With Rosario material, for example, the Court of Appeals noted that " . . . omissions, contrasts and even contradictions, vital perhaps, for discrediting a witness, are certainly not as apparent to the impartial presiding judge as to single-minded counsel for the accused; the latter is in a far better position to appraise the value of a witness' pretrial statements for impeachment purposes." People v Rosario, 9 NY2d 286, 290, 213 NYS2d 448 (1961); see also, People v Bugayong, 182 AD2d 450, 582 NY2d 175 (1st Dept 1992).
Any idea whose testimony they may be going after? Hmmmmmm...

I agree - and personally she looks less like she's smiling to me and more like she's baring her teeth...

When my daughter used to smile that way, I knew she was being all kinds of fake nice. oh, yes ma'am! would usually follow. It didn't work.

KC has spent so much time perfecting "fake" that she doesn't have any "real" center anymore.

P.S. Love your avatar!

The way it's typically done is you send a subpoena to the out-of-state entity via whatever method your state has set up for service of process upon non-resident entities. (Usually called a long arm statute.) Includes sending along extra copies for the recipient state to send with it's LE arm designated to serve the particular entity, and so on. Involves a lot of patience and waiting, plus you have to follow the rules STRICTLY.
An alternative is to enroll co-counsel licensed in that other state and have them file an ancillary proceeding in the entity's home/domiciliary state against the entity to obtain the information/things sought. Much more expensive, but hey - it's always great to have local counsel affiliated asking the entity for that which you seek.
Well, they better not be going after TES!

KC has spent so much time perfecting "fake" that she doesn't have any "real" center anymore.

P.S. Love your avatar!

thanks themis! I like yours too - always look so graceful. (and as an ex-Classics teacher I certainly love your handle).

You're right about her - I'll bet she wore out all the mirrors in that house perfecting that persona because it sure doesn't seem to emanate from inside.

Did JB get in trouble before when he presented a motion before the court that was incomplete or it didn't state what is was supposed to state? This is what happens when you get your J.D. online!! Geesh.

The Judge is being pretty lenient with JB on the motions, but he has given some direction. JB's major result here is his loss of his "stock in trade" (his professional reputation.)

thanks themis! I like yours too - always look so graceful. (and as an ex-Classics teacher I certainly love your handle).

You're right about her - I'll bet she wore out all the mirrors in that house perfecting that persona because it sure doesn't seem to emanate from inside.

Without that truthful "core", can you see how easy it would be for KC to be influenced by books, TV and movies into acting a role -- perhaps one of rage and even to murder?

You're only the second person who knows what "Themis" means. Thanks! :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back