Jian Ghomeshi, well known, well respected radio host fired for Sexual Assault

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lawyers for the complainants wanted clarity on how their client's privacy rights would be respected before sensitive materials such as photographs, video or audio recordings, would be "disseminated to the whole world."

Gillian Hnatiw, DeCoutere's lawyer, said the proceedings involved issues that were "deeply personal in nature."

Ghomeshi's lead defence lawyer, Marie Henein, wryly noted that DeCoutere and her counsel had given "no less than 24 media interviews."

The defence had not sought psychological or counselling records and they were "not in play," Henein told Horkins, adding sufficient safeguards existed to protect the complainants.

"This is not the Wild West," Henein said.

Horkins said the exhibits would, as a rule, be made available.

http://www.cp24.com/news/live-notes-from-inside-the-jian-ghomeshi-sex-assault-trial-1.2759823

Jian Ghomeshi, loathsome jerk, terrible musician, self-aggrandizing idiot, did do himself one big favor by hiring a gem of a lawyer. Let's hope the Crown comes in strong.

It's not just him on trial here. It's a case about the standards of sexual assault cases. There's a lot at stake, and I really hope that he goes down for the count, as I don't doubt his guilt for an instant, but a win for Ghomeshi is a loss for women and men everywhere.

RECAP
Jian Ghomeshi trial: 1st day wraps after defence questions witness's memory

The first day of Jian Ghomeshi's sexual assault trial has wrapped in a Toronto courtroom. The trial will resume Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.

Defence lawyer Marie Henein had been cross-examining the first complainant this afternoon, questioning her memory and suggesting that the woman lied and gave police "different versions" of an alleged assault that the witness says took place in Ghomeshi's car in 2002.

Henein suggested that, in interviews with The Toronto Star and on the CBC's The National, the witness did not mention any intimacy or that she and Ghomeshi kissed in his car before he allegedly pulled her hair.

"That was a lie, right?" the lawyer asked of the omission to the news outlets regarding the kiss.

The witness denied lying about what happened.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Live Blog

THE LATEST

In cross-examination on the trial’s second day, Mr. Ghomeshi’s lawyer accused one of the complainants of having lied under oath, confronting her with e-mails showing that she had reached out to Mr. Ghomeshi, despite having said she wanted no contact with him because she was so traumatized by his actions. The complainant said the e-mails were the only way she could get Mr. Ghomeshi to contact her, so she could ask him about the assault.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ssed-in-the-case-so-far-day2/article28476713/

Snippets.
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/02/02/d...-in-ghomeshi-trial-a-classic-strategy-lawyer/

“Since when is how a woman’s hair was styled such an important detail during a sexual assault? #Ghomeshi,” one tweeted.

Henein’s approach is “not surprising,” said Lisa Ridgedale, a former Crown attorney turned defence lawyer in British Columbia.

“A defence lawyer’s main job is to poke holes in the prosecutor’s case and the way you poke holes, especially in a case where events happened in the past, is going through details,” she said.

“You gather up all these details and then you discredit witnesses by having them contradict themselves on the details, either between witnesses or one witness itself.”

Part of the Crown’s preparation for trial is meeting with a witness to go over their prior statements and take note of any inconsistencies, Ridgedale said.

“So it’s good to let them know that they are going to try to discredit you, they are going to try to trick you, they are going to try and make it sound like you’re making things up — just focus on the question, just give your answer.”

“If witnesses have given interviews or witnesses have talked about cases, there’s going to be more than one statement out there or possibly more than one version of what the witnesses have said,” he said.

It’s also possible the witness’s story has been distorted in the process, Lerner said.

Does anyone else think this trial is receiving less attention than it would have if it hadn't started the same day as the Tim Bosma trial? I'm surprised at the seeming lack of interest in this case. Anyone know a schedule for the trial?

I think he absolutely violated these women....but it's going to be hard to prove.....human behaviour is tough to explain sometimes.....these women were abused and yet still sought out attention from this man. For some reason I can kind of understand what may have been going through their minds.....they were dropped like hot potatoes after these interactions and after time went on the memory may have been fuzzy (kinda like we forget the pain of childbirth) and the good parts of him were remembered and the bad parts less so. I'm not likely making much sense....it would be interesting to hear about the psychology of this....like why abused people go back to their abusers.....sorry for the rambling.....thoughts anyone? Totally just my opinion

Jian Ghomeshi trial resumes with new witness

The sexual assault trial of former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi resumes today with a new witness set to testify.

The trial adjourned Tuesday after Crown attorney Michael Callaghan told Judge William Horkins he wouldn't be able to arrange for the next witness to appear until Thursday.

- LIVE BLOG: JianGhomeshi trial Day 3

It's unclear who will next take the witness box. Court has so far heard from one of the three complainants in the case who wrapped up her testimony on Tuesday following an intense cross-examination by Ghomeshi's lawyer, Marie Henein. The first complainant has accused Ghomeshi of sexually assaulting her on two separate occasions.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/jian-ghomeshi-trial-resumes-witness-050000516.html

The trial, which began on Monday, is expected to last for several weeks and is being tried by a Judge alone.

I wonder how the first witness now feels about pressing charges against JG? Does she feels it was worth it? When a sexual assault victim gives their account of what happened to law enforcement, LE only hear one side of the story.

Pulling a person’s hair and hitting them in the head a few times with your fist doesn’t warrant a felony charge of sexual assault. Based on what I read so far, this victim wasn’t sexually assaulted nor was she seriously hurt or injured. She didn't require any medical help and can’t prove Jian hit her.

Jian previously defended his actions in a 1,500-word statement on Facebook saying. “Women consented to having "rough sex" and that he was the victim of a disgruntled ex-girlfriend.” Jian didn’t reply to this woman’s flirtatious emails and the fact that she sent him a picture of herself in a bikini after she was allegedly 'sexually assaulted' by him, seems like Jian is telling the truth and not guilty of sexual assaulting this particular witness who admitted to being "in a relationship".

Ghomeshi faces a maximum sentence of 18 months for the sexual assault charges because they are being dealt with summarily, but the overcome resistance charges carries a max sentence of life imprisonment.

Does anyone else think this trial is receiving less attention than it would have if it hadn't started the same day as the Tim Bosma trial? I'm surprised at the seeming lack of interest in this case. Anyone know a schedule for the trial?

I think he absolutely violated these women....but it's going to be hard to prove.....human behaviour is tough to explain sometimes.....these women were abused and yet still sought out attention from this man. For some reason I can kind of understand what may have been going through their minds.....they were dropped like hot potatoes after these interactions and after time went on the memory may have been fuzzy (kinda like we forget the pain of childbirth) and the good parts of him were remembered and the bad parts less so. I'm not likely making much sense....it would be interesting to hear about the psychology of this....like why abused people go back to their abusers.....sorry for the rambling.....thoughts anyone? Totally just my opinion

BBM

I totally agree with what you've said. The behaviour of victims of assault/abuse is such a tricky thing. I think it's a shame this witness sent him those pictures and emails...but I believe her when she says she was assaulted by him. It would be so much easier for the general public if every witness was 100% truthful, never forgot anything, was an innocent virgin before the assault, went to the police immediately, etc. etc. However, it doesn't work that way.

I can't explain it well either, but I believe that being abused or assaulted can do funny things to your mind, and victims can act in ways that aren't logical.

Jian Ghomeshi trial resumes with actress Lucy DeCoutere testifying

Actress Lucy DeCoutere, one of three female complainants in the sexual assault trial of former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi, is now testifying in a Toronto courtroom.

The identities of the two other complainants in the case are protected under a publication ban, but DeCoutere, also an air force captain, went to court to lift the ban on her name.

- LIVE BLOG: Jian Ghomeshi trial Day 3

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/jian-ghomeshi-trial-resumes-witness-050000516.html

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/02/04/t...-decoutere-takes-the-stand-at-ghomeshi-trial/

TORONTO – “Trailer Park Boys” actress Lucy DeCoutere is on the witness stand at Jian Ghomeshi’s sexual assault trial describing how he allegedly attacked her.

She says she went to his house in 2003 after the two had dinner in Toronto.

Shortly after they arrived, DeCoutere says Ghomeshi suddenly started kissing her, then grabbed her by the throat, pushed her up against a wall and hit her repeatedly.

DeCoutere, who has waived her right to a publication ban, testified that she did not consent to being choked or slapped, and that Ghomeshi initiated the kissing.

The Royal Canadian Air Force captain told the court she remembers not being able to breathe during the attack, and feeling shock and surprise. She testified she’d never been hit in the face before.

DeCoutere also testified that she went to his house with no interest in having sex with him.

“I knew there was a chance that we might be intimate but I also knew that it would only go to a certain point because I knew I didn’t have any interest in having sex with him.”

From Mr. Lahey's Facebook page:

"It takes courage to enter the **** storm."

Mr. Lahey (portrayed by John Dunsworth) is a character on Trailer Park Boys who has a special, colorful way of expressing himself. Lucy's on the show and her character's name is also Lucy.

The show's FB page also posted support for Lucy.

The Crown has a big problem with Lucy given her conduct after the day that she claims she was attacked. She must have assumed that email and photos from 2004 would be long gone, and that she didn't have to worry about her invitations to him for an intimate relationship. It looks very much like the case is blowing up in the face of the prosecution.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710
Back