Jian Ghomeshi, well known, well respected radio host fired for Sexual Assault

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is a similar case.

Sex-filled weekend on yacht was consensual, says son of Tim Hortons founder accused of rape

Steven Joyce, son of Tim Hortons co-founder Ron Joyce, has launched his legal defence against a Toronto woman accusing him of raping her onboard his father’s luxury yacht by describing their sex-filled weekend in Florida but saying it was “entirely consensual.”

Read more at http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crime...im-hortons-founder-accused-of-rape/ar-AAbwAYR

What’s really on trial in the Ghomeshi case

The trial is poised to show that women in sexual assault cases may be worse off than ever

http://www.macleans.ca/society/whats-really-on-trial-in-the-ghomeshi-case/

Excellent article, many valid points such as these ones, imo.
In a response that went viral, the councillor decried the typical questioning of people alleging sex crimes—the “Was she drunk?” “Was she properly dressed?” “What time was it?” line of inquiry. “We need to focus on those five individuals who committed this heinous crime and what were the bad decisions they made all throughout the day,” Cumbo said. “Have they been drinking? Have they been smoking? What would click in someone’s mind to think that something like that was okay?”

Canadian criminal defence lawyers concur. “There’s far too much scrutiny of the victim in sexual assault cases,” Toronto lawyer Susan Chapman says. “It’s unparalleled.”

“Most women just to want it known it happened and this matters. Time and time again I talk to women who’ve experienced the most devastating thing in their life, and say, ‘What would you like to see happen? If he was prepared to apologize would that make any difference?’ And they say ‘Absolutely.’ ”

A spirit of change is in the air. Last year, University of Windsor law professor David Tanovich called for “ethical lawyering” in sexual assault cases in “Whack no more,” published in the Ottawa Law Review: “It is time to address the discriminatory lawyering and denial of access to justice that is taking place in these cases,” he wrote. Whether such sentiment will affect Marie Henein’s much-anticipated performance remains to be seen.

I am looking forward to, and yet dreading, this trial. I feel for the women who have had the courage to step forward. They need to prove their case while defending their behaviour in a he says/she says environment.

Jian, I hope you are straight forward and honest.

I am looking forward to, and yet dreading, this trial. I feel for the women who have had the courage to step forward. They need to prove their case while defending their behaviour in a he says/she says environment.

Jian, I hope you are straight forward and honest.

I doubt he will be. I hope these women will not end up with a judge deciding they wanted to have their face punched and/or their ribs broken. This guy wants the real deal: fear and rape.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ghomeshi-rise-and-fall-1.3416416

Crusade for consent

Ghomeshi was in the middle of earning a BA in political science, with a minor in women's studies, when he ran for student union president at York University in Toronto in early 1990.

His platform, which he said was informed by his women's studies minor, included increasing funding for York's Women's Centre and promoting the importance of sexual consent.
Ghomeshi student president

Ghomeshi ran for student president at Toronto's York University in 1990 and won. (Excalibur/York University)

He was spurred on by infamous signs that hung from windows of dorm rooms at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., the previous year that read, "No Means Yes" and "No Means Harder," mocking the consent campaign No Means No.

"Sexism is something student governments should be addressing, now more than ever," he told the Excalibur student newspaper in March 1990.

His feminist campaign helped him beat his nearest rival — the only woman on the ballot — by hundreds of votes.

Jian Ghomeshi arrives at court for his sexual assault trial
Former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi has arrived at court for Day 1 of his trial on charges of sexual assault and overcoming resistance by choking. Follow our live blog for the latest updates.
Laura Fraser

066a17d0-781d-40a8-a3e8-086f85832b54.jpg

Ghomeshi will stand trial before a judge on, Justice William B. Horkins.

Michael Callaghan and Corie Langdon will act as the Crown prosecutors. Prominent defence lawyer, Marie Henein will represent Ghomeshi.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactive...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Jian Ghomeshi arrives at Toronto courthouse for first day of trial on sexual assault charges
Aileen Donnelly | February 1, 2016

A swarm of media greeted Jian Ghomeshi at a Toronto court on the first day of his trial on charges of sexual assault, more than a year after his sudden fall from grace.

The clean-shaven broadcaster stepped out of a black vehicle wearing a black suit, white shirt and black tie and walked through a crowd of journalists and photographers and up the steps of Old City Hall court.

The former star host of CBC’s Q pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcoming resistance by choking.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/jian-ghomeshi-trial-begins

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back