Jian Ghomeshi, well known, well respected radio host fired for Sexual Assault

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good questions. I wonder if the court documents regarding the bail are accessible. I was wondering about the order to reside at his mother's home. Is that a typical order when bail is posted? Is his home a crime scene and under investigation?

I wonder how the general public feels about JG being granted bail? A person charged with murder in Canada cannot post bail and I think this same rule applies in the US. Considering the fact that both those who commit murder and those who choke a person can upon conviction, serve a life sentence in jail, and given the fact that JG is a repeat offender, I'm not sure whether he should have been granted bail.

I tried to find out how much a $100,000 bond in Canada costs but I couldn't find the answer. I think a down payment of 10% is required but I'm not sure. I doubt JG hired a bondsman so as long as JG appears in Court when he is supposed to, his deposit will be returned to him in full whether or not he is found guilty according to the article on Wikipedia.

I don't think JG's house is a crime scene and under investigation but I think it needs to be thoroughly searched because he assaulted several women there.

I wonder how the general public feels about JG being granted bail? A person charged with murder in Canada cannot post bail and I think this same rule applies in the US. Considering the fact that both those who commit murder and those who choke a person can upon conviction, serve a life sentence in jail, and given the fact that JG is a repeat offender, I'm not sure whether he should have been granted bail.

I tried to find out how much a $100,000 bond in Canada costs but I couldn't find the answer. I think a down payment of 10% is required but I'm not sure. I doubt JG hired a bondsman so as long as JG appears in Court when he is supposed to, his deposit will be returned to him in full whether or not he is found guilty according to the article on Wikipedia.

I don't think JG's house is a crime scene and under investigation but I think it needs to be thoroughly searched because he assaulted several women there.

I haven't heard or read any reports of uproar over JG's release. I never even gave it a second thought, I expected it to happen. Now that you have pointed that out I am curious what his victims think. I hope they do not feel their safety is in jeopardy and if so I hope that they have proper measures in place to protect themselves including restraining orders and communication with investigators.

I never knew that a $100K bond is not the actual amount paid. If he only had to pay a small percentage I would think that is pocket change for him. I wonder if he transfered funds in advance to whoever posted the bail.

I am curious about his home and if he had camera's placed everywhere and if he has a collection of his videos that were recovered.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._first_great_image_of_ghomeshi_saga_hume.html

"The Ghomeshi scandal has its first compelling image; one that’s impossible to ignore.

The shot, taken as Ghomeshi, his lawyer Marie Henein and lawyer Danielle Robitaille make their way past a throng of media, isn’t just a study of a man who stands accused, but a portrait of pain and suffering. In earlier times, it might have been a painting by Raphael, Rembrandt or perhaps Caravaggio.

The characters would have been different, of course, though perhaps not their transgressions. What’s important, however, is that the people and the drama are real.

On one level, the photograph is a simple record of a moment in time, a split second, but this one has the painterly qualities — composition and character, light and dark — that endow it with an Old Master sense of gravitas. The thrusting of arms and cameras creates a feeling of action as the procession makes its way from left to right through a crowded tableau of reporters and policemen. There is no horizon that allows viewers to put the scene in a larger context; it is closed on every side, claustrophobic. The space is bursting with people and movement.

The media reach out with cameras and microphones, each one seemingly an accusation, a weapon, knife-like, with which to stab the victim and his defenders, strip away their persona and reveal their secret self".

it was reported on ctv just before he made the appearance in the lobby, that, the bail isn't cash or a percentage but just his signature to a paper agreement which I'm sure is pretty wordy.

I haven't heard or read any reports of uproar over JG's release. I never even gave it a second thought, I expected it to happen. Now that you have pointed that out I am curious what his victims think. I hope they do not feel their safety is in jeopardy and if so I hope that they have proper measures in place to protect themselves including restraining orders and communication with investigators.

I never knew that a $100K bond is not the actual amount paid. If he only had to pay a small percentage I would think that is pocket change for him. I wonder if he transfered funds in advance to whoever posted the bail.

I am curious about his home and if he had camera's placed everywhere and if he has a collection of his videos that were recovered.

Who is prosecuting this case?

The meeting Jian Ghomeshi and his lawyers had with Boyce and Chuck Thompson, head of CBC public affairs,
on Oct. 23, took place at JG's lawyers' downtown offices. There, Boyce and Thompson saw graphic evidence of physical injury to a woman. Boyce thinks Ghomeshi was hoping to convince them it was consensual. Three days later, JG was fired.

This tape, which contains key evidence for the Prosecution, was last seen in his lawyers office. I recall reading a MSM report that said CBC did not leave the meeting with a copy of the video. So, where it is?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cbc-m...hi-assault-allegations-back-in-june-1.2853949

I found Jian’s Loving Tribute to his Father, Farhang Frank Ghomeshi: ‘The greatest man I’ve ever known’.
It was published on October 10, 2014, 8 days after his death.

I wonder who the executor of Jian's father's will is? I guess his will is in the hands of lawyers other than JG's defence team, and Jian's involved in this.

Jian said "My mom, my sister and I (along with my cousin) were at his bedside all day, as we had been for much of the last two weeks".

Sounds like Jian's sister, who works as a professor at the UofM in Winnipeg, MB, was granted an extended leave of absence from her job and is currently living with her mother and brother. Several family members of Jian's were reportedly in the Court room so this is likely who was there.

Was Jian on a leave of absence from his job before he got fired?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-greatest-man-ive-ever-known/article21069949/

A warrant is a document that is issued by the court when there are reasonable and probable grounds to believe that someone has committed an offence.

An arrest warrant gives the police the power to arrest the individual named in the warrant, so that he or she can be brought before the court.

Obtaining a warrant requires an officer to follow certain rules. These include:
•Information alleging the offence must be sworn and brought before a justice of the peace or judge who will hear and consider the information. The justice or judge may then issue an appearance notice or an arrest warrant.
•A warrant must contain the name or description of the accused, a brief description of the offence alleged, and an order that the accused be arrested. The warrant remains in force until the accused is arrested and is outstanding until that time.

When executing an arrest warrant, the police officer must have the arrest warrant with him or her, when possible, and should be able to produce it when asked.

The police officer also has a duty to give notice to the person he/she is arresting of the:
• Warrant under which he makes the arrest; or
• The reason for the arrest

If police do not release the person who is under arrest, they must bring him before a justice for a bail hearing within 24 hours or as soon as possible.

If the police do not follow these rules, then see our pamphlet on “How to Initiate a Public Complaint Against the Edmonton Police Service."

Warrants are also issued when an accused:
Fails to appear in court on a summons, appearance notice, promise to appear, or recognizance;
Avoids service of a court document; or
Ignores a subpoena or avoids being served with a subpoena.

These types of warrants are known as “bench warrants.” They are issued when someone violates an order or requirement of the court.

http://www.slsedmonton.com/criminal/warrants/

I saw his sister at a bookstore in Winnipeg about a week and a half ago. I kind of feel bad for her as she is a published author and grammar/linguistics expert but now she's just 'jian ghomeshi's sister'... whispered behind her back everywhere she goes!

I wasn't surprised that he got bail; I would have been shocked if he didn't make bail.

Interesting article by one of JG's former co-workers and accusers. The same woman who was told he wanted to "hate ****" her to wake her up.

"Jian Ghomeshi harassed me on the job. Why did our radio station look the other way?"
By Kathryn Borel

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...exual-harassment-cbc-ignored?CMP=share_btn_tw

There are a few links to follow in the above article. Here is another document relating to the "Q" work culture:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lained-about-culture-of-fear/article21473254/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/article21473769.ece/BINARY/Read+the+Red+Sky+document

I saw his sister at a bookstore in Winnipeg about a week and a half ago. I kind of feel bad for her as she is a published author and grammar/linguistics expert but now she's just 'jian ghomeshi's sister'... whispered behind her back everywhere she goes!

I wasn't surprised that he got bail; I would have been shocked if he didn't make bail.

I wonder if any of his sister's previous speaking engagements were cancelled after the news about Jian broke?
Is Jila a teaching professor at the U of M?
Jian's father has one grandchild name Kiana which likely belongs to Jila. Is Kiana a girl or boy's name?
Jila's husband or SO isn't mentioned in the Obituary.

Obituary for Farhang Frank Ghomeshi

He died following a heart procedure at Sunnybrook Hospital.

Frank was many things: sage, charming, pragmatic, and kind. He was also a truly dignified presence who became a role model as the head of a family, a well-respected engineer, a generous and compassionate soul, a proud Canadian, and a member of the Iranian diaspora. He was a modest man, but a powerful presence who touched the hearts of all who had the chance to meet him. He will be dearly missed.

http://www.rskane.ca/book-of-memories/1957487/Ghomeshi-Farhang-Frank/obituary.php

Sheila Copps Under Fire For Defending Jian Ghomeshi

Amid further startling allegations about Jian Ghomeshi abusing women, former deputy prime minister Sheila Copps is under fire for questioning why the former CBC host no longer has a job.

Copps served as a Liberal MP from 1984 until 2004 and held a number of top cabinet posts. She was the first woman to serve as deputy prime minister and the first MP to give birth while in office.

Read Sheila Copps comments here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10/30/sheila-copps-jian-ghomeshi_n_6074856.html

CBC manager disputes account of Jian Ghomeshi probe

A radio manager at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is raising fresh questions about an investigation into former host Jian Ghomeshi’s behaviour, disputing a colleague’s statement that she was instructed to take part.

On Monday, Linda Groen, the CBC’s director of network talk radio, sent an e-mail to one of her superiors, executive director of radio and audio Chris Boyce, to “set the record straight” about an interview he gave to the public broadcaster’s own show, the fifth estate.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...count-of-jian-ghomeshi-probe/article21869001/

The Ghomeshi situation within the CBC is likely not just his alone,, the tax payer funded vehicle has suffered from the vilest form of insulation due in part from hyper-nepotism. The Ghomeshi situation (though, probably the worst fallout of HN) will start a slow cavalcade of other stories from within that I'm sure of.

What's vile in what JG did was play on the "You'll never work in this business again" threat, whether spoken or implied, and I'm more than sure it ran thru every rank from archivist to up above the glass ceiling. I'm glad the likes of Jesse Brown/The Toronto Star lit the fuse on all of this and hope that victims of other out of control celebrity ego come forth, whether they were physically assaulted or rendered impotent for not playing into CBC culture.

By no means am I anti-CBC, but I am concerned on its future due its odd closed, and very select, exclusive personnel culture.

Quoting myself again and maybe someone posted this already. I should note that I worked in radio for a long time and will never again (note: hyper-nepotism,, if you don't belong to a circle of people you can't join the CBC,, long story and best saved for another day).

Jian Ghomeshi harassed me on the job. Why did our radio station look the other way?

The Guardian

Kathryn Borel

11 hrs ago

I used to work as a radio producer for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. A few months into my job in 2007, I let out a big yawn at a staff meeting and my host told me “I want to hate **** you, to wake you up.” I was 27 years old. I made sure never to yawn in front of him again.

After that, there were the uninvited back massages at my desk to which it was clear I couldn’t say no, during which my host’s hands would slide down just a little too close to the tops of my breasts. A year into my time on the job, he grabbed my rear end and claimed he couldn’t control himself because of my skirt. Occasionally my host would stand in the doorway of his office when no one was around and slowly undo his shirt by two or three buttons while staring at me, grinning. He once grabbed my waist from behind – in front of our fellow colleague, at the office – and proceeded to repeatedly thrust his crotch into my backside. There was emotional abuse, too: gaslighting and psychological games that undermined my intelligence, security and sense of self. Sometimes that hit harder than the physical trespassing.

In 2010, I went to my union to try and find a way to end this pattern of sexual harassment by Jian Ghomeshi. I had no intention to sue, or to get him fired, or even to have him reprimanded. I just needed him to stop. The union representative and my executive producer at Q, the radio show for which we worked, did nothing.

In retrospect, I’m one of the lucky ones. Ghomeshi never tried to sexually assault or beat me in the three years I worked with him on Q. But last week, Toronto police charged him with four counts of sexual assault and one count of choking a woman. So far, anonymously and in the press, 15 women have made allegations against Ghomeshi of violent physical abuse.

<modsnip>

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/02/-sp-jian-ghomeshi-sexual-harassment-cbc-ignored

Now that 15 women have made allegations against Ghomeshi of violent physical abuse, I'm waiting to see if more charges will be laid against him.

I saw this article, which mentions Jian Ghomeshi, published today in the Winnipeg Metro

Don&#8217;t Make It a Career Limiting Xmas

&#8216;Tis the season for the workplace Christmas party.

Apparently it&#8217;s also the Season for friendly reminders from your boss not to be a creep at the office celebration.

Recently Canadian Employment Law Firm Levitt and Grosman LLP sent a note to its workers about expected party etiquette noting: "You probably aren&#8217;t in the same league as Jian Ghomeshi when it comes to bad behavior in the workplace, but you still need to keep yourself in check at the company holiday party or you could end up fired with just cause.

We are all confident we know where &#8220;the line&#8221; is and many of us have been tempted
to do a little festive flirting with a fine work friend. But any office celebration is really just an extension of the board room &#8211; not a singles soiree. So don&#8217;t do or say anything under the mistletoe that you wouldn&#8217;t dare do under the glare of the fluorescent office lights.

We should remember that a party faux pas can fell even those who are experts in workplace harassment issues.

Case in point: A Toronto lawyer who specializes in labour and employment law who was accused of busting a few too many moves with a female associate at a booze-filled work function.

In 2009, Toronto lawyer David Cowling, a former Mathews, Dinsdale & Clark partner allegedly got a little too handsy on the dance floor

Following the party, two associates complained to other partners about his behavior & Cowling launched a $2.3 million defamation lawsuit against them in 2010.

Cowling eventually dropped the lawsuit, left the firm, as did the other two lawyers &#8211; and cleared his name with a settlement and public statement. That one night of booze-fueled fun left him with more than a hangover headache.

What you perceive as flirtatious fun can be down right creepy to your co-workers.

So ease up on the booze, keep your hands to yourself, and remember there&#8217;s a reason you became an accountant and not a backup dancer for J.Lo.

http://issuu.com/metro_canada/docs/20141203_ca_winnipeg

Ghomeshi showed CBC Executives graphic evidence of him causing harm to a woman in his lawyer's office in downtown Toronto so I&#8217;m assuming Jian&#8217;s lawyers thought this was the right thing to do.

In hindsight, if JG hadn't shown CBC executives the videotape, no one would have known he had it and he wouldn't have been fired 3 days later. Now this incriminating evidence can be used against him when this case goes to trial. I'll be surprised if Jian's case is thrown out of court.

His lawyers also filed the frivolous lawsuit against CBC on behalf of their client which was dropped and ended up costing Ghomeshi $18,000.

If Marie Heinen had done her homework, wouldn't she have found out that a grievance with CBC had to be filed through Ghomeshi's Union? I personally don't think Marie Heinen is a competent lawyer who has her client&#8217;s interests at heart. She's only made matters worse for Jian and I wonder if Jian should fire her or if MH should step down and take herself off this case. There seems to be a conflict of interest here.

Henein made jokes at Ghomeshi&#8217;s expense as she emceed a dinner celebrating past presidents of the Criminal Lawyers&#8217; Association in Toronto. She is said to have joked to the crowd of lawyers and judges of both the Ontario Court and Superior Courts of Justice, some of whom could hear Ghomeshi&#8217;s case if he is charged.

JMO

https://nowtoronto.com/news/features/video-killed-the-radio-star/
http://www.bayview-news.com/2014/11/ghomeshi-lawyer-tough-stylish-and-smart.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back