JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong--it is safe to say that if he is ONLY found guilty in the Fairfax case, he will be in prison for the rest of his life.

What is 'Subdivision A-1? I thought it was rape of a minor, which would not apply here. And, I don't see the magic phrase, "without possibility of parole." So, we might be looking, theoretically, at quite a bit less than a life term.

Nm I just found it, at least the attempted capital murder part. It carries a sentence of 20 years to life in prison and a fine of up to 100k dollars.
Okay, but I'm just repeating what Fairfax County Commonwealth's Attorney Ray Morrogh said in the press conference on October 20: "The death penalty is not available on these charges because our victim is alive."

Here's the thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...0-2014-JLM-Indicted-in-2005-Fairfax-Rape-Case

What is 'Subdivision A-1? I thought it was rape of a minor, which would not apply here. And, I don't see the magic phrase, "without possibility of parole." So, we might be looking, theoretically, at quite a bit less than a life term.

Thank you for that. In light of what you just said, your user name makes sense! I was wondering about "possibility of parole" as well.

That article is awful.

Take this part

"Jesse Matthew, 32, was charged with abduction with the intent to defile after he was last seen with Graham shortly after 1 a.m. on Sept. 13. In a copy of the bench warrant for Matthew, it's stated that he is being charged with “attempted capital murder, abduction and sexual penetration with an object,” according to Neal Augenstein of WTOP."

BBM. No mention that those charges are in relation to the fairfax case. Then further down the page is a photo of AM, where they call her Alexis Taylor...

Ok, Public Defender asked to be appointed (without pay, for free), and Judge denied request? Wouldn't a public defender be paid for by the county anyway. And, I read that Camblos wanted to be appointed in this case. Did the Judge deny Camblos request to be appointed? Is Matthew considered to be indigent and, therefore, qualify for court-appointed counsel? Thanks.

*the* PD (like the head of the PD office) offered to take the case pro-bono, but the judge denied the request. I don't know about Camblos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*the* PD (like the head of the PD office) offered to take the case pro-bono, but the judge denied the request. I don't know about Camblos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On what grounds? Anyone know?

I copied the applicable statute over in its entirety. If it doesnt apply, disregard and move on to where it does.

As far as possibility of parole, thanks for the laugh.

Given the violent nature of the crimes and concurrent sentences if convicted, thats not gonna happen.

Maybe in California but not Virginia.We have truth in sentencing laws that apply to violent crimes here.

When it says life, it means life in this instance.

I copied the applicable statute over in its entirety. If it doesnt apply, disregard and move on to where it does.

Given the violent nature of the crimes and concurrent sentences if convicted, thats not gonna happen.

Maybe in California but not Virginia.We have truth in sentencing laws that apply to violent crimes here.

Good article from the WaPo concerning the Fairfax charges. This paragraph in particular stood out:

In Fairfax, prosecutors benefit from having a witness and a forensic link, and that could help drive a decision to first pursue the older case even as the same suspect faces more current accusations, according to several defense lawyers. If convicted in the Fairfax case, Matthew could face up to three life sentences, and Virginia does not have parole, meaning a life sentence is truly a life sentence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5b62fe-5af3-11e4-b812-38518ae74c67_story.html

Given the violent nature of the crimes and concurrent sentences if convicted, thats not gonna happen

<BBM for Focus>
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/concurrent-consecutive-sentences-double-punishment.html
Concurrent and Consecutive Sentences

Concurrent sentences. When sentences run concurrently, defendants serve all the sentences at the same time.
Consecutive sentences. When sentences run consecutively, defendants have to finish serving the sentence for one offense before they start serving the sentence for any other offense.

Hawes Spencer &#8207;@HawesSpencer 1h1 hour ago
. @AugensteinWTOP Camblos says he'll defend #JesseMatthew in 2005 Fairfax rape, won't say why he changed mind from 2 days ago #HannahGraham

https://twitter.com/HawesSpencer

Do we know who is representing JM in the Fairfax County case if the Judge denied Camblos request to be appointed? Will Camblos go ahead and represent JM for free? I know that sometimes judges do not appoint lawyers from other counties to represent defendants because they have their own appointment list and they stick to it. On the other hand, if JM has more than one lawyer representing him, it can get sticky because JM can tell them different stories and create a real defense mess. That doesn't mean, though, that the judge won't appoint a lead attorney and a second attorney to assist him on a serious crime such as this one.

Hawes Spencer &#8207;@HawesSpencer 5h5 hours ago
. @AugensteinWTOP Camblos says he'll defend #JesseMatthew in 2005 Fairfax rape, won't say why he changed mind from 2 days ago #HannahGraham

https://twitter.com/HawesSpencer

ETA hmmm. Can't figure out this attorney's game plan here or why the wishy washy I'm out, no nevermind, I'm in behavior.

Someone else may have already thought this and sorry if I've missed it- I think it could be possible that as Camblos has built his case for JM, he wants to paint a consistent picture of his client; feels in order to win the HG case he should manage JM's image throughout both cases at this point. For example, if he's going the mental illness route, it would be harder to take that angle in HG case if another DA in Fairfax approached it differently for that case. JMO.

Boy, if this is the case, Camblos may find himself over his head and drowning with trying to represent JM consistently in multiple cases....

Yuck in representing JLM.

Does he want to become famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads