JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, what did he do to that poor woman? Does anyone know more details and why he was charged with attempted murder? I knew the attack was obviously a violent one, but I didn't know he tried to kill her.

I'm behind, so maybe this has already been answered, but he choked her to unconsciousness. Also, the sexual assault is with an object. I don't even want to know. Ugh.

Thanks for this list!!!

Just two things:
Cassandra Morton disappeared on October 10th, one week before Morgan Harrington, was reported missing the day that MH disappeared and she was discovered dead in November 2009.

Alexis Murphy is here two times (Once as 17 and once at 18 years old.) She was 17.

Thanks so much for the clarification, always striving to be accurate. I may repost the list with new information but not tonight, I am tired. :) Proud to be a part of this forum. Amazed at people "thinking outside the box". Brilliant minds. Prayers are with Hannah's parents and family, and so proud of the girl who is pressing on with new charges. Hat's off to LE who stayed involved.

Just read the presser. Special thanks to everyone for transcribing, and special thanks to Bessie for all your work on these threads and helping to keep all of this information as accurate / organized as possible.

Special thoughts to our brave victim. My thoughts are with you; thank you for your strength. May justice be served. And, Great job LE!

I also wondered about a possible GMU connection. I googled to see if I could find any events at the Patriot Center for that evening (September 24, 2005). So far I've found there was a men's soccer game and a concert (Googoosh & Mehrdad?). Neither seems promising IMO.

above BBM

Maybe . . .

apparently he literally just walked by on the sidewalk and didn't even see the assault going on but it was enough to spook LJ. (this is what i remember from reading about it so sorry if I have any details wrong)

http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

I find this "passerby" very confusing. In the comprehensive "Read the Hook" article it says 3 things:
1) "Startled by a passerby, the assailant fled on foot."
2) '...the woman told them her assailant had choked her until she lost consciousness. "She thought she was going to die, then all of a sudden, she came to, and he wasn't there," says Jenkins, mentioning the passerby who scared the attacker away–- perhaps in the nick of time."
3) "With only one eyewitness, the rape victim, in the 2005 Fairfax assault..."

So if there is only one eyewitness (the victim) who passed out and awoke after JM left, then just who exactly reported this passerby who scared him off (without actually witnessing anything)? Was this just an assumption made by the victim who must have been praying someone would stumble upon the scene and save her? The only other thing that makes sense is if the victim passed out AFTER seeing someone walking toward them. I am guessing there was no passerby in reality, and JM actually finished his deed, thought she was dead and took off.

JLM will have to go to trial on this; he can't plea and admit any connection to this assault. To do so seals his fate in Morgan's murder (and possibly Hannah's).

Emaa- your avatar always startles me! It's awesome! :seeya:

http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

I find this "passerby" very confusing. In the comprehensive "Read the Hook" article it says 3 things:
1) "Startled by a passerby, the assailant fled on foot."
2) '...the woman told them her assailant had choked her until she lost consciousness. "She thought she was going to die, then all of a sudden, she came to, and he wasn't there," says Jenkins, mentioning the passerby who scared the attacker away–- perhaps in the nick of time."
3) "With only one eyewitness, the rape victim, in the 2005 Fairfax assault..."

So if there is only one eyewitness (the victim) who passed out and awoke after JM left, then just who exactly reported this passerby who scared him off (without actually witnessing anything)? Was this just an assumption made by the victim who must have been praying someone would stumble upon the scene and save her? The only other thing that makes sense is if the victim passed out AFTER seeing someone walking toward them. I am guessing there was no passerby in reality, and JM actually finished his deed, thought she was dead and took off.

Here's another account from 2011.

She screamed and fought. A neighbor heard her cries and walked to the edge of his driveway. He could hear her, but couldn't see what was going on. The attacker dragged her even farther into the darkness, but the neighbor didn't give up, remaining at the end of his driveway, searching.
http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxci...rs-dna-solve-a-fairfax-rape-and-mor84c9a34d12

Major props to Detective Boone for remaining persistent over a 9 year period of time. This young lady deserves justice for what this man did to her. I'm so thankful that she had a detective on her case that never gave up and remained in contact with her for so long.

I absolutely, positively agree with your post. Bless his sweet heart for his diligence.
I hope that this is okay to post here:
It is my firm believe that their are angels on this earth disguised as human beings. It will sound silly to most I suppose; but as I said I believe it to be beyond a shadow of a doubt.
This fine detective is an example.

I also wondered about a possible GMU connection. I googled to see if I could find any events at the Patriot Center for that evening (September 24, 2005). So far I've found there was a men's soccer game and a concert (Googoosh & Mehrdad?). Neither seems promising IMO.

he loves sports and the soccer game may have been of interest

His father has already stated through a friend (http://wtvr.com/2014/10/20/hannah-graham-suspect-lived-near-where-human-remains-were-discovered/) that "he is heartbroken for Hannah’s family and his own, as they come to grips with mounting serious allegations against their son who so many thought they knew."

It's easy to want to point fingers at the family and assume that people like JM are the way they are because of how they were raised (I do it and then have to remind myself otherwise). Sadly, that's just not the case. More often than not, the perps' families are just as shocked and devastated that their loved one is a monster. It's really hard to have sympathy, but the perps' family also "loses" a loved one - it's a metaphorical "death" of the person they thought they knew - I can't even imagine trying to reconcile that in my mind - it would probably drive me insane if I was a member of JM's family. Trying to think back - were there any clues, any signs? Did I do/say something that caused this? Could I have prevented this?

I'm not sure where to post my CODIS question so I'll do it here.

Does LE input DNA into CODIS and then let it run in the background with any hits popping up as they happen? Or do they assign it to certain cases for possible matches? Or both?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Was listening to CNN "New Day" on Sirius XM Radio on the way to work this morning (between 7:00 and 7:15, I think), Alisyn Camerota speaking about the Fairfax charges, stated that Jesse Matthew is "cooperating with the investigation."

www.cnn.com/go/

This is the first I've heard of JM cooperating with anyone.

If you have CNN on cable or satellite, you can register for CNN Go and watch today's programming online.

Well I think JM and his lawyers know the jig is well and truly up. I think finding Hannah's remains is a major game-changer for his defense strategy. He knows where he buried/dumped the body and he knows if it's her or not. Before that moment, his lawyer could be thinking that the MH charges are beatable by saying he had physical contact with Morgan but didn't kill her and doesn't know who did. With Hannah, the same and there's no body. He took her to the corner to take her home and she got out of his car and he drove home. His lawyer can argue that he left her there and she walked away and he has no idea what happened next but he is innocent. He can say she talked about running away from college or seeming depressed/suicidal and he tried to help her. There are a lot of narratives that can explain the contact with MH and HG and someone might believe it because these girls are young and presumably were intoxicated and out on the town. Reasonable doubt.

But with the Fairfax charges, the forensic evidence, along with the victim's testimony will render a guilty verdict. This was a woman who was going to fetch some groceries, sober, speaking a foreign language, and within a short walk of the home of her friends. It will be almost impossible to beat the charges given that the victim's testimony, and from a defense perspective he also has the most hope of getting a sentence where he will get out of prison in his lifetime.

Finding Hannah's body closes off an avenue for his defense strategy and hopefully the forensic evidence will cut off every possibility of escaping the maximum punishment that the courts can apply.

[/QUOTE]

Well I think JM and his lawyers know the jig is well and truly up. I think finding Hannah's remains is a major game-changer for his defense strategy. He knows where he buried/dumped the body and he knows if it's her or not. Before that moment, his lawyer could be thinking that the MH charges are beatable by saying he had physical contact with Morgan but didn't kill her and doesn't know who did. With Hannah, the same and there's no body. He took her to the corner to take her home and she got out of his car and he drove home. His lawyer can argue that he left her there and she walked away and he has no idea what happened next but he is innocent. He can say she talked about running away from college or seeming depressed/suicidal and he tried to help her. There are a lot of narratives that can explain the contact with MH and HG and someone might believe it because these girls are young and presumably were intoxicated and out on the town. Reasonable doubt.

But with the Fairfax charges, the forensic evidence, along with the victim's testimony will render a guilty verdict. This was a woman who was going to fetch some groceries, sober, speaking a foreign language, and within a short walk of the home of her friends. It will be almost impossible to beat the charges given that the victim's testimony, and from a defense perspective he also has the most hope of getting a sentence where he will get out of prison in his lifetime.

Finding Hannah's body closes off an avenue for his defense strategy and hopefully the forensic evidence will cut off every possibility of escaping the maximum punishment that the courts can apply.
[/QUOTE]

An absolutely excellent post. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLoo313