JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kudos to the Fairfax Commonwealth Attorney Ray Morrogh for not revealing to the media (when asked during PC) whether the victim in this case is in this country, or where she is, out of respect for her privacy. She would be outed in a NY second.

It sounds like they have been very protective of her for all these years. May justice be swift for her, and may she continue to heal and go on with her life.

Kudos to the Fairfax Commonwealth Attorney Ray Morrogh for not revealing to the media (when asked during PC) whether the victim in this case is in this country, or where she is, out of respect for her privacy. She would be outed in a NY second.

It sounds like they have been very protective of her for all these years. May justice be swift for her, and may she continue to heal and go on with her life.

The Fairfax woman is truly a hero. Her survival and willingness to endure the difficult path to pursue her attacker has resulted in what could turn out to be the only way to keep the rest of us safe and get justice for all of JM's victims. She will have some angels on her shoulders when she faces him in the courtroom. The state of Virginia and beyond owe her and the LE involved a debt of gratitude. I hope it brings her peace.

Was listening to CNN "New Day" on Sirius XM Radio on the way to work this morning (between 7:00 and 7:15, I think), Alisyn Camerota speaking about the Fairfax charges, stated that Jesse Matthew is "cooperating with the investigation."

www.cnn.com/go/

This is the first I've heard of JM cooperating with anyone.

If you have CNN on cable or satellite, you can register for CNN Go and watch today's programming online.

I haven't listened to it yet. But I wonder if, in typical fashion, they took the reported info (I think it was Parker Slaybaugh), regarding JM being cooperative with his jailers -- as in, he's behaving himself and doing what he's told -- and kicked the "cooperative" can further down the road into "cooperating with the investigation." Probably, is my guess. Truly like a bunch of kids playing the gossip game. So frustrating.

Can't get both quotes in here, but also the one from HaikuMommy with the Hook article. Anyway.

So this is super confusing to me as well. Is it possible there was another eye witness besides the victim then- or "ear-witness"- the neighbor ;)? This person who hears her screams and goes to the end of his driveway looking? I'm also baffled as to how that went down. The Patch article states that she when she came to, she ran to the closest neighbor and called 911. Why would this person hearing her screams not call 911?
http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxci...rs-dna-solve-a-fairfax-rape-and-mor84c9a34d12

Maybe JM just got spooked by someone walking down the path (not any of the neighbors aforementioned) and ran. Or maybe, similar to what Haiku said, the victim was wanting desperately to hear someone come by and she may have heard footsteps or something and when she woke up alive she figured it was that person who had saved her.

The reporting on the story is all kind of poor, IMO. I've heard slightly different accounts all over the place and nothing is particularly in depth. I guess the case has become so much more high-profile now that we're all wanting to know more of the details :)

Fox News recently had a segment about Hannah. The news anchor was speaking to a detective who supposedly had said at the beginning that this could be a SK. The anchor asked if JM's being expelled from 2 schools on alleged rape charges could be brought up in trial but the detective didn't know VA law. Anyone on here know?

I think it would be great if the prosecutor could at least have the heads of the colleges testify as to why JM had been expelled. Shows a pattern.

Fox News recently had a segment about Hannah. The news anchor was speaking to a detective who supposedly had said at the beginning that this could be a SK. The anchor asked if JM's being expelled from 2 schools on alleged rape charges could be brought up in trial but the detective didn't know VA law. Anyone on here know?

I think it would be great if the prosecutor could at least have the heads of the colleges testify as to why JM had been expelled. Shows a pattern.

I don't know what the rules of court, specifically those in VA regarding this. In some rape, sexual harassment cases, they actually would bring prior victims to testify. Couldn't do it just showing paper, needed the actual people there. Whether that would be the case here, don't know. Don't even know if the Fairfax rape victim will have to show up in court or if the case can proceed in her absence. There are specific rules on how prior conduct can be entered as evidence, and they tend to be tricky, IMO.

I don't know what the rules of court, specifically those in VA regarding this. In some rape, sexual harassment cases, they actually would bring prior victims to testify. Couldn't do it just showing paper, needed the actual people there. Whether that would be the case here, don't know. Don't even know if the Fairfax rape victim will have to show up in court or if the case can proceed in her absence. There are specific rules on how prior conduct can be entered as evidence, and they tend to be tricky, IMO.

I'm a VA resident, but no attorney. (My ex was a criminal defense attorney, maybe I know enough to think I know something?) FWIW, when I served on a jury in a criminal case, we never got any info about the defendant's prior criminal record or history during the trial itself. We convicted, but it was not a slam-dunk. Only during the sentencing phase were we presented with his prior criminal record.

ETA: I realize this is not the same as behavior evidence from previous victims. I guess I'm thinking ahead to evidence in HG trial, assuming he's convicted of the 2005 charges and MH death.

I am SO impressed with the Fairfax police and CA.

When it was announced that the arrest of JLM provided a forensic link to Morgan, everyone went wild. However Fairfax LE responded with a very low key, ho-hum, almost disinterested attitude. Yeah, well, we'll take a look at it.

NO further statements, NO leaks, no indication that they were involved or even cared. Some here (myself included) figured the victim didn't want to pursue or was out of touch with police or out of country or whatever, and that these rape charges would never be brought against JLM. I'm willing to bet JLM (and his attorney) figured he was in the clear on this one.

And then, BOOM.

We learn that Fairfax police and CA have been doggedly pursuing this case and working behind the scenes with VSP and LE in Charlottesville to coordinate the charges. Even better, they plan to have JLM in court within the week. I love that he made it clear they were aggressively moving forward on this. Ya want a speedy trial? Well here ya go buddy. Although Virginia does have a 'speedy trial' statute (IIRC, 5 months for someone currently incarcerated), I truly believe that this move was made in part to give prosecutors in Hannah's and Morgan's cases additional time to prepare and lock in their evidence. JLM can't be in 3 places at once and his attorney certainly can't prepare 3 separate defenses at once. This is going to force Camblos hand; he will have to ask for delays related to any charges coming up in Hannah's and Morgan's cases, and possibly this one too. While that does give him time to mount a defense, more importantly IMO it gives LE and the prosecutors more time to build their cases and tighten the noose around JLM.

The Fairfax CA said (paraphrasing) that he didn't bring a case he didn't feel he could successfully prosecute in court. I bet JLM needed a change of pants after hearing that.

I am SO impressed with the Fairfax police and CA.

When it was announced that the arrest of JLM provided a forensic link to Morgan, everyone went wild. However Fairfax LE responded with a very low key, ho-hum, almost disinterested attitude. Yeah, well, we'll take a look at it.

NO further statements, NO leaks, no indication that they were involved or even cared. Some here (myself included) figured the victim didn't want to pursue or was out of touch with police or out of country or whatever, and that these rape charges would never be brought against JLM. I'm willing to bet JLM (and his attorney) figured he was in the clear on this one.

And then, BOOM.

We learn that Fairfax police and CA have been doggedly pursuing this case and working behind the scenes with VSP and LE in Charlottesville to coordinate the charges. Even better, they plan to have JLM in court within the week. I love that he made it clear they were aggressively moving forward on this. Ya want a speedy trial? Well here ya go buddy. Although Virginia does have a 'speedy trial' statute (IIRC, 5 months for someone currently incarcerated), I truly believe that this move was made in part to give prosecutors in Hannah's and Morgan's cases additional time to prepare and lock in their evidence. JLM can't be in 3 places at once and his attorney certainly can't prepare 3 separate defenses at once. This is going to force Camblos hand; he will have to ask for delays related to any charges coming up in Hannah's and Morgan's cases, and possibly this one too. While that does give him time to mount a defense, more importantly IMO it gives LE and the prosecutors more time to build their cases and tighten the noose around JLM.

The Fairfax CA said (paraphrasing) that he didn't bring a case he didn't feel he could successfully prosecute in court. I bet JLM needed a change of pants after hearing that.

great post
and i agree
LE has been very, very quiet
and i think they have been working very, very hard
and will continue to gather as much as they can
without jeopardizing the cases against lj

http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

I find this "passerby" very confusing. In the comprehensive "Read the Hook" article it says 3 things:
1) "Startled by a passerby, the assailant fled on foot."
2) '...the woman told them her assailant had choked her until she lost consciousness. "She thought she was going to die, then all of a sudden, she came to, and he wasn't there," says Jenkins, mentioning the passerby who scared the attacker away–- perhaps in the nick of time."
3) "With only one eyewitness, the rape victim, in the 2005 Fairfax assault..."

So if there is only one eyewitness (the victim) who passed out and awoke after JM left, then just who exactly reported this passerby who scared him off (without actually witnessing anything)? Was this just an assumption made by the victim who must have been praying someone would stumble upon the scene and save her? The only other thing that makes sense is if the victim passed out AFTER seeing someone walking toward them. I am guessing there was no passerby in reality, and JM actually finished his deed, thought she was dead and took off.

It's also possible that the passerby saw LJ get up and leave (but didn't actually witness the assault) and only connected the pieces of what happened later...

http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

I find this "passerby" very confusing. In the comprehensive "Read the Hook" article it says 3 things:
1) "Startled by a passerby, the assailant fled on foot."
2) '...the woman told them her assailant had choked her until she lost consciousness. "She thought she was going to die, then all of a sudden, she came to, and he wasn't there," says Jenkins, mentioning the passerby who scared the attacker away–- perhaps in the nick of time."
3) "With only one eyewitness, the rape victim, in the 2005 Fairfax assault..."

So if there is only one eyewitness (the victim) who passed out and awoke after JM left, then just who exactly reported this passerby who scared him off (without actually witnessing anything)? Was this just an assumption made by the victim who must have been praying someone would stumble upon the scene and save her? The only other thing that makes sense is if the victim passed out AFTER seeing someone walking toward them. I am guessing there was no passerby in reality, and JM actually finished his deed, thought she was dead and took off.

I have been wondering the same thing. Also, when she subsequently knocked on a neighbor's door seeking help after the assault, she was bloody and alone. What sort of passerby is going to interrupt a rape and then just leave her desperately wandering, bloody and traumatized, to random houses alone begging for help?! I think you're right, JLM thought she was dead and bolted on his own, where she came to and then struggled to a neighboring residence. I don't think there was a passerby.

He and his attorney must be present in court on 10/23 @ 9a for term day - just got word by email from cc.

(case no. FE-14-1313)

I have been wondering the same thing. Also, when she subsequently knocked on a neighbor's door seeking help after the assault, she was bloody and alone. What sort of passerby is going to interrupt a rape and then just leave her desperately wandering, bloody and traumatized, to random houses alone begging for help?! I think you're right, JLM thought she was dead and bolted on his own, where she came to and then struggled to a neighboring residence. I don't think there was a passerby.

There could have been. The case was such a standard stranger rape and LE was on it within minutes. They might have found the passerby. From the stories it sounds like some statement was made by someone, who heard some sounds, came closer, called out and just made his presence known enough to interrupt and frighten JM off. Not a word has been written of the passerby actually seeing or witnessing anything, just that someone was in the area, thought he heard something, but then did not see anything and went on. LE might have found him after the fact, by asking around.

The rape victim did see JM not only as she was attacked but beforehand as she has stated that he did walk with her a bit and engage her in conversation. Probably saw the coast was clear and then jumped her, dragged her out of the main way to a more secluded area, Whether he intended to kill her or not, we really would not know. The injuries he left here have been put on record and that will be up to the jury to decide if it goes to trial as to whether he tried to kill her or not. The other charges and the DNA evidence is not going to be disputable. Clearly no consent here, a woman carrying groceries, getting knocked down, dragged to the side, raped, assaulted, and then just left Someone who did not know him, no reasonable doubt here.

So no passerby really needed though if LE got his name, he probably remembers the situation. This is a simple, "in the bag" case for the DA unless he needs the victim to show up and testify, and it seems to me that that might not be an obstacle either.

What if, by some wild chance, JM is talking to LE, and is giving up some useful information? If he were "trading" information for a lighter sentence, would there still have been a grand jury hearing?

Wow, so maybe Camblos will work on the local cases while someone else, more local to Northern VA, spends time in Fairfax County on the Fairfax City charges/indictment.

Wow, so maybe Camblos will work on the local cases while someone else, more local to Northern VA, spends time in Fairfax County on the Fairfax City charges/indictment.

If it's not out in the media by Thursday afternoon, I'll have my boss check in on it. We have term day at that same time and day. I would go but we have 9.30a cases that are going to show up, so I've gotta man the office :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member