JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuck in representing JLM.

Does he want to become famous?

I know, hard to understand but I guess someone has to do it. I'd think representing him would be more like Hot Potato- "No, you take it, no you, no you..."

Commenting on the "grand strategy" that may be involved, Chris Graham, writing in the Augusta Free Press, asks "So why proceed with the Fairfax case? That’s the one of the three known cases involving Matthew that is the furthest along, and as such gives prosecutors the first opportunity to gain leverage with Matthew to obtain information that he may have about the Harrington, Graham and any other cases that he may have been involved in."

Graham also notes, interestingly, that "the push to move forward in Fairfax may be an indication that investigators in Charlottesville and Albemarle are sensing that their efforts to proceed with the Harrington and Graham cases may take more time to develop as well."

Someone else may have already thought this and sorry if I've missed it- I think it could be possible that as Camblos has built his case for JM, he wants to paint a consistent picture of his client; feels in order to win the HG case he should manage JM's image throughout both cases at this point. For example, if he's going the mental illness route, it would be harder to take that angle in HG case if another DA in Fairfax approached it differently for that case. JMO.

Boy, if this is the case, Camblos may find himself over his head and drowning with trying to represent JM consistently in multiple cases....

It is interesting Camblos is extending his services. He used to be a prosecuting attorney for C'ville before starting his own practice. He will see the case from both perspectives.

Here is an article highlighting his legal career as prosecutor.

http://www.readthehook.com/81185/cover-unapologetic-prosecutor-defends-record-while-critics-take-aim

It is interesting Camblos is extending his services. He used to be a prosecuting attorney for C'ville before starting his own practice. He will see the case from both perspectives.

Here is an article highlighting his legal career as prosecutor.

http://www.readthehook.com/81185/cover-unapologetic-prosecutor-defends-record-while-critics-take-aim

Thanks for a great contribution. I don't think it's possible to be a county prosecutor without making scads of people angry. Prosecutors have to exercise discretion -- they don't have the resources to prosecute every potential case that comes up -- and every time, there are winners and losers. From this article, it seems that JLM has far more capable representation than he'd likely get if the count appointed a run-of-the-mill public defender. He'll be able to interpret the prosecution's moves to JLM correctly... there might be a silver lining in this, in that Camblos, perhaps more so than an attorney lacking prosecutorial experience, might be able to persuade JLM to cooperate with investigators in return for a reduced sentence in some of the charges.

One question I have, though, is whether experience as a prosecutor really translates all that well to the role of a defense attorney in the courtroom...

Fairfax has had a long time to line up their ducks! The DNA match cinched the deal. As for the Harrington and Graham cases, they are literally in their investigative infancy. This is a great opportunity to get JM a good, possibly life-long sentence and use the information to further the other cases.

I recently saw "Lock Up: Fairfax" and got a good glimpse of their jail. It's relatively new and bare bones for prisoners. Two built-in bunks and a toilet/sink. That's it. Prisoners there hate it because of all the tough rules. JM will be just as safe there as anywhere. I have no problem with his being there. I just hope they transport him in an armored van with a guard or two in there with him.

Another sleuther posted this in another thread, it's definitely the most detailed account I've seen of the 2005 Fairfax case, thought some of you might find it helpful if I re-posted the link. I also think it might shed some light as to the victim's ethnicity, perhaps?

Hopefully it's alright to post this link here, I'm more of a lurker than a participant on this site so I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

"Jenkins says her son returned with a man and a woman who comforted the victim, and the three communicated in what she believes was Urdu–- a language primarily spoken by Muslims in India and Pakistan. The young woman "felt more comfortable speaking in her language," says Jenkins, who says she never saw the young woman again but heard she had moved in with family somewhere nearby."

http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

<BBM for Focus>
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/concurrent-consecutive-sentences-double-punishment.html
Concurrent and Consecutive Sentences

Concurrent sentences. When sentences run concurrently, defendants serve all the sentences at the same time.
Consecutive sentences. When sentences run consecutively, defendants have to finish serving the sentence for one offense before they start serving the sentence for any other offense.

Thank you.

I meant consecutive but got the two confused in my rush to post and passion for this case.

What do you guys think he will plead in this case? And why?

Does anyone know why he was in Fairfax to begin with? It's quite a distance away from Charlottesville to be there with no particular reason.

With Camblos changing his mind and asking to represent JLM on the Fairfax case, I think they are looking for a plea deal in this case and for whatever charges come up in Morgan's and Hannah's cases.

Then again, if he pleads guilty to the rape he's essentially pleading guilty to all three since they're forensically connected.

With Camblos changing his mind and asking to represent JLM on the Fairfax case, I think they are looking for a plea deal in this case and for whatever charges come up in Morgan's and Hannah's cases.

Then again, if he pleads guilty to the rape he's essentially pleading guilty to all three since they're forensically connected.

But they may not linked in a way that proves he raped them. Rape can't be assumed, it has to have evidence to back it up for each case. It depends on what type of forensics link the cases and what sort of DNA, i,e sweat, saliva, etc

Does anyone know why he was in Fairfax to begin with? It's quite a distance away from Charlottesville to be there with no particular reason.

No we do not know. There was quite a bit of speculation about this (I believe it was in the what we know about JLM post). Myself and several other Fairfax locals who know the Jermantown Rd area quite well feel like he had to have a friend or acquaintance in that immediate area. It's not an area of Fairfax where you just end up (I've lived here since 2002 within 8 miles of the rape and the only time I am ever on Jermantown Rd is if I need something there). And there are many other areas where an opportunistic predator would go to stalk. Honestly, he could have hung out between the Giant and the townhomes where the rape occurred every night for a week and not seen a woman walking alone at night. (Contrast that to the GMU area just a few miles further away.)

More speculation - he likely wouldn't have committed a violent crime in public unless he knew a fair but about foot traffic and other characteristics of the area that led him to believe he could commit the crime without quite a few witnesses.

But sorry that was long winded. No, we do not know for sure.

Edit - the more lengthy discussion starts here at post 770 and goes on for quite a while: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258962

This is just his first appearance, assuming when the charges will only read to him...he wouldn't be pleading anything Friday...correct?

My guess is "not guilty". Isn't it easier to change to "guilty" than the other way around and use that to negotiate? Also, does anyone know if the victim has to show up in court for the actual trial? If that is the case, one can delay these things, and then sometimes a witness disappears or won't show up and the case goes away.

If the victim does show up, or if it's not required for her to do so to get a guilty verdict, this is a very strong case due to strong DNA linkage. Unless JM's lawyer can show a distinct possibility of an identical twin or other DNA match, the forensic evidence is going to be very strong. I don't know how varied the pool of DNA is in Virginia.

But they may not linked in a way that proves he raped them. Rape can't be assumed, it has to have evidence to back it up for each case. It depends on what type of forensics link the cases and what sort of DNA, i,e sweat, saliva, etc

thank you for this post -- it's very important to keep this in mind. dna is not itself conclusive proof of anything but contact. it can certainly be the smoking gun in a case, but dna itself is not proof of a crime necessarily. hopefully they have enough, in all three cases, to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member