JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from JM's DNA?

I would think so, because the prosecutor is saying Mr. Camblos is being "discrete" in not answering the interconnectedness question directly and that connection is what led the judge to allow two attorneys to be appointed.

Camblos wears a bow tie. Public defender wears a neck-tie. Camblos probably is liberal, civil rights activist. Public defender is probably not, but more toward protection of constitutional rights of all citizens, rather than affirmative action, defense on grounds of social justice.

JMO - admittedly guessing, going by appearances. Disclosure: have been wrong more than a thousand times.
I always associated bow ties with conservatives.

Except the lawyers are not getting along. Camblos is not happy he is not named lead. JM wants Camblos, not the PD and the judge is telling them to work it out. Most of this hearing was about that. Ridiculous. Maybe he'd have had to have plead by now if his lawyers weren't squabbling. IF they don't resolve it yes, there could be a case to be made that he had bad counsel . THey get made enough at each they could each say the other was wrong at evey misstep. Not a good start at all. I see there could be grounds to appeal if this keeps up

The dual counsel needs to set up ground rules and decide method of approach ASAP with Jesse Matthew's full approval, and they to get his approval in writing and signature on this.

Personally, I liked the Judge and the Public Defender, but did not feel positive about Camblos.

I was surprised how alert and attentive and able to express himself JLM was...and that his voice was more tenor than bass.

Camblos wears a bow tie. Public defender wears a neck-tie. Camblos probably is liberal, civil rights activist. Public defender is probably not, but more toward protection of constitutional rights of all citizens, rather than affirmative action, defense on grounds of social justice.

JMO - admittedly guessing, going by appearances. Disclosure: have been wrong more than a thousand times.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd read all that much into the bow-tie/neck-tie distinction. Hipsters wear bow-ties, guys like Tucker Carlson (a whiny TV conservative) wear bow-ties, some old guys just prefer bow-ties. Camblos reads as a blue-blood Virginian to me, which is not surprising for the area, but that could go either way politically. I think he is a whiny drama queen, which is not necessarily good or bad for a defense attorney.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd read all that much into the bow-tie/neck-tie distinction. Hipsters wear bow-ties, guys like Tucker Carlson (a whiny TV conservative) wear bow-ties, some old guys just prefer bow-ties. Camblos reads as a blue-blood Virginian to me, which is not surprising for the area, but that could go either way politically. I think he is a whiny drama queen, which is not necessarily good or bad for a defense attorney.

I see a side-bar fashion discussion on the horizon ;)

That was the first time I ever saw Camblos speak. He did not come across how I thought he would

If I understand it correctly he wants an assessment of his sanity in 2005- I'm wondering how any Psychologist/Psychiatrist can do this so long after the fact....?

It may be a request to evaluate JLM's fitness to stand trial, rather than as a defense of his state of mind in 2005.

I'm wondering if Camblos has in mind a very thorough psycho-sexual evaluation or whether he can specify what kind of evaluation JLM receives.

Will they allow any prior evaluations of JLM to be presented to show 'progression'???

“Everybody is entitled to good representation,” said Camblos, who said he enjoys working as a defense lawyer. The nuances of defense work not visible to everyone intrigue him, he said. He said he believes if a client is accused of murder and is convicted of assault and battery, “I’ve won my case.”

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_1870ae78-7bd6-11e3-b68b-001a4bcf6878.html

I'm not convinced Camblos is liberal. But I'd have to go look through his old case records and outcomes to be sure.

Like several posters have just stated though, bow-tie in C-ville doesn't mean much. Extremely common. Can't think of anywhere else that a bow-tie would be more common actually.

I'm not convinced Camblos is liberal. But I'd have to go look through his old case records and outcomes to be sure.

Like several posters have just stated though, bow-tie in C-ville doesn't mean much. Extremely common. Can't think of anywhere else that a bow-tie would be more common actually.

Charleston SC
Bow ties galore.

It may be a request to evaluate JLM's fitness to stand trial, rather than as a defense of his state of mind in 2005.

I'm wondering if Camblos has in mind a very thorough psycho-sexual evaluation or whether he can specify what kind of evaluation JLM receives.

Will they allow any prior evaluations of JLM to be presented to show 'progression'???

The judge will surely grant a motion to determine JLM's fitness to stand trial. He will probably also grant a motion for a mental health evaluation.

I wouldn't want a lawyer to represent me who calls Hannah Graham that "Graham girl." Could really tick off a juror. Either Cablos referred to Hannah that way to dismiss her importance, such as Cablos isn't worried about that case, or he is just rude. Or both. Also noted that Cablos mentioned the Harrington case in the hearing, even though no charges have been filed yet in that case.
With respect to counsel, if Cablos didn't want to be paid by the County, he would be free to represent Matthew by himself as private counsel. But, because he doesn't want to work pro bono, he has to abide by rules for PDs. Ethically, I think Cablos should get along with the PDs for the good of his client, or bow out.
Personally, I think the Judge went over and beyond in appointing Cablos on this case. Just sayin......

I wouldn't want a lawyer to represent me who calls Hannah Graham that "Graham girl." Could really tick off a juror. Either Cablos referred to Hannah that way to dismiss her importance, such as Cablos isn't worried about that case, or he is just rude. Or both. Also noted that Cablos mentioned the Harrington case in the hearing, even though no charges have been filed yet in that case.
With respect to counsel, if Cablos didn't want to be paid by the County, he would be free to represent Matthew by himself as private counsel. But, because he doesn't want to work pro bono, he has to abide by rules for PDs. Ethically, I think Cablos should get along with the PDs for the good of his client, or bow out.
Personally, I think the Judge went over and beyond in appointing Cablos on this case. Just sayin......

BBM

This keeps happening and I really don't understand it. It seems bizarre that he is admitting involvement in a case where charges haven't even been filed. I really don't understand what the strategy could be, it seems a little reckless to me.

My take on the "link" discussion is that the link is the DNA and Camblos was being "discrete" because to say to a judge there is a DNA link would basically be admitting his client is guilty of all three if found guilty of one.

I am curious though, do Judges make a point of not watching or reading the news so that they remain unbiased and can base their decisions on only the info in the room? It seemed as though the Judge knew nothing about any of the cases.

Charleston SC
Bow ties galore.

Bow tie speculation seems pointless. Could Camblos representing him alone have possibly left the case open for a mistrial later as inadequate representation? Thus, the judge going by the letter of the law without making an exception for the sentiments of the perp feeling more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth