JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it more like to someone who has knowledge of what happened and maybe knows who the killer is or some details about the night they've never put out there but maybe isn't the killer or could just be as simple as a general "open letter" to the killer themself..

Maybe...but it sounds so very dramatic--he references vomiting over it, and not being able to live with themselves, what they think when they look in the mirror, etc., etc.--which sounds like he's talking to a killer--but he also mentions the fact that the money didn't entice him/her to come forward, that they are being quiet due to fear of being implicated, etc., etc. I don't know, that letter was all over the place (like these two cases). I can see why he / his team got accused of speaking in code, as he prefaced his letter.

Based on what I have read, or what LE has released, it is not a cut and dry case of a predator offering a damsel in distress a ride with the intent of raping and killing her. If I were to look at this from a juror's perspective, so far everything is circumstantial.

No one even knows why she left the arena in the first place, she was not stranded - her car was in the lot and several people offered to help her before she ended up on Copeley Road, witness sightings of MH at the arena and hours later on campus that are ignored by LE, etc. This does not prove that JM is not a predator or abductor in HM's case, but as a juror, I would have very strong reasonable doubt that MH got into his cab if it was there. So in my mind, it goes beyond JM.

Unless, and this is why it's so important to know, JMs DNA is the DNA from the Fairfax rape. Then we have a different story and less urgency in finding Hannah, so why are they so determined to find Hannah?

Maybe...but it sounds so very dramatic--he references vomiting over it, and not being able to live with themselves, what they think when they look in the mirror, etc., etc.--which sounds like he's talking to a killer--but he also mentions the fact that the money didn't entice him/her to come forward, that they are being quiet due to fear of being implicated, etc., etc. I don't know, that letter was all over the place (like these two cases). I can see why he / his team got accused of speaking in code, as he prefaced his letter.

Good point on the code but I think it was more just an appeal to someone's conscience hoping there was someone with knowledge that was being eaten up by it that would come forward..of course just a long shot but putting that plea out there couldn't hurt..and if I was a betting man I would say it is more structured for not the killer but someone with knowledge of the situation..

Investigators will only say that forensic evidence ties the suspect to Morgan Harrington's abduction and murder in Charlottesville. But Harrington's parents confirmed this afternoon it was DNA found on Morgan that matches the suspect in the Fairfax case.

Do you have a source for this? I'm just catching up so may have missed it, but so far I fail to see it. TIA.

respectfully, the DNA evidence proves that he had contact with MH, but the DNA itself does not necessarily prove murder.

I'm sure that investigators are building a case to prove that the only reason his DNA was found on her is because he murdered her.

They are medical professionals, they did go to the site where Morgan's remains were found at the time that they were found, and they saw the condition of her body for themselves. As medical professionals, and they are able to interpret what they saw of their daughter's remains.

Jesse Matthew appears to be responsible for Morgan's murder.

Where has it been released by the attending medical examiner that she was murdered?

That would be true. The DNA was collected from the site where Morgan was found, and, more specifically, it was found on her body.

Could it be a hair of JM? I can't see semen or urine lasting on her body for three months

Where has it been released by the attending medical examiner that she was murdered?

Is the question: how do we know that she was murdered?

Police release that information to the public rather than the medical examiner.

"The death of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, whose body was found last week in a farmer's field in Virginia, has been ruled a homicide, authorities said today."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-t...ingtons-death-ruled-homicide/story?id=9740132

Could it be a hair of JM? I can't see semen or urine lasting on her body for three months

We don't know what evidence on Morgan's body led to the DNA match. We do know that she wasn't completely skeletonized.

I couldn't say how I'd respond as a juror, given that LE has released very little information in either case.

But as a juror, you'd be selected for having known nothing or little about the case.

I'm sure that investigators are building a case to prove that the only reason his DNA was found on her is because he murdered her.

With all respect, his DNA was likely found on her t shirt. Prior to the finding of the pantera tee, there is no mention of DNA found on MH's remains that I have seen documented. It suggests in one of the sources you snipped that it was difficult to extract enough sample directly from Morgan's remains it also suggests Fairfax DNA from shirt.

Not any source on forensics of the Fairfax perp states with absolute certainty where his DNA sample originates though we can draw inferences. We will have to see if JM is charged with MH's disappearance and see what is revealed if anything. Though I think prosecution can seal evidence indefinitely. they may keep it sealed then.

But possibly, hopefully, her clothing. There was clothing (and I believe "other evidence") at the scene. Sourced earlier, will resource if necessary.

Is it just me, or do Rader's words sound like he thinks MH's death was accidental?

I think it sounds like he is writing to a witness.

He calls the person "sympathetic and dignifed." He also writes, "The facts you have can be verified, but you must be totally honest." That sounds like he thinks this person is NOT the killer, but was there the night Morgan died.

I don't know how they could determine a third person was there that night because I don't think DNA from vomit would hold up that long. Maybe fingerprints? He also says something about a mirror and didn't JM get ticketed for driving without one? I'll have to check the timeling to see how that lines up.

I know this is a weird thought, but if there was a third person, who threw up and has yet to come forward, what if it was Cassandra Morton? She was last seen on the 10th. But from what I could gather she drifted around a lot and that timeline isn't very tight. She could have even been held for a few days. . .like in that abandoned house. It wouldn't be the first time a serial killer had two victims and made one watch while he killed the other.

JM might have been carrying out some weird fantasy with Cassandra being AA and Morgan being the white, blonde type he apparently preferred. Looking at it from a Trauma-Control perspective, I have to wonder if his mom or grandma ever disapproved of a white girlfriend. . .hmmmm. :waitasec:

I don't know how they could determine a third person was there that night because I don't think DNA from vomit would hold up that long. Maybe fingerprints? He also says something about a mirror and didn't JM get ticketed for driving without one? I'll have to check the timeling to see how that lines up.

I know this is a weird thought, but if there was a third person, who threw up and has yet to come forward, what if it was Cassandra Morton? She was last seen on the 10th. But from what I could gather she drifted around a lot and that timeline isn't very tight. She could have even been held for a few days. . .like in that abandoned house. It wouldn't be the first time a serial killer had two victims and made one watch while he killed the other.

I wonder if LE ever searched that house? Would it be too late now? Should you send that in as a tip/suggestion/thought?

Is the question: how do we know that she was murdered?

Police release that information to the public rather than the medical examiner.

"The death of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, whose body was found last week in a farmer's field in Virginia, has been ruled a homicide, authorities said today."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-t...ingtons-death-ruled-homicide/story?id=9740132

Well, the police, through investigation, determine if a charge of murder can be made. Ultimately, murder is determined by court trial.

The medical examiner can only declare manner and cause of death not determine whether a murder has been committed. Upon autopsy, the coroner rules out natural cause, accident, and suicide. Medical cause if death factors in to determination too. Homicide is ruled when death likely involved another person whose level of responsibility can only be determined at trial like murder or manslaughter. Therefore any time we use the term "murder" we are adding a value judgment. So far, I have seen absolutely no evidence,that she was murdered.

They are medical professionals, they did go to the site where Morgan's remains were found at the time that they were found, and they saw the condition of her body for themselves. As medical professionals, and they are able to interpret what they saw of their daughter's remains.

Jesse Matthew appears to be responsible for Morgan's murder.

JM may face charges of murder. So far we can say he may be guilty of homicide. We have no evidence of either at this point.

I wonder if LE ever searched that house? Would it be too late now? Should you send that in as a tip/suggestion/thought?

I will. I didn't follow Morgan's case. Didn't that house burn down? Which would make me even MORE suspicious.

ETA. . it looks like the "no mirror" was from 2014.

Morgan's friend had the keys to the car. Morgan left the arena to smoke. She could have used indoor smoking areas, but she didn't. She knew that there was a no re-entry policy. She was visibly under the influence outside the arena. She had been known to hitch hike, so it was assumed that she was hitch hiking, in part because of a man with his daughter who claims he saw her hitch hiking. I didn't hear of any people offering to help Morgan. Most people keep a distance from someone that is out of it, or under the influence. I'm not aware of any sightings of Morgan on campus.

My understanding is that she voluntarily left the arena. Outside the front doors, she confronted some people and did not make a good impression. She spoke to her friends on her phone and said that she would find her own way home, telling her friend to use her car. She apparently walked through the parking lot towards the sports field. There, she was seen by some athletes. She crossed the Copeley Bridge, and that was the last that she was seen. The following day her cell phone, without a battery, was found in the parking lot of the sports field. Sometime later, her shirt was found in a nearby neighborhood. The shirt was planted. The phone was most likely planted.

Convictions usually rely on circumstantial evidence. There is DNA evidence on her body that identifies her murderer. Jesse Matthew has been linked through forensic evidence to Morgan. If there is evidence that Morgan was in his car - a long shot after 5 years - that will be one more piece of the puzzle.

Interestingly, the following article states that a bloodhound tracked Morgan back to Copeley bridge and then over it before turning west on Ivy Road. Her scent was lost near the Foods of All Nations grocery store. The Fairfax victim was walking from the grocery store and there is Autumn Wind Day whose car was found at a grocery store. I am wondering if JLM waited by stores for his next fare to be called in.

http://www.readthehook.com/88650/hes-still-here-and-other-revelations-harrington-case

http://goo.gl/maps/7928K

I will. I didn't follow Morgan's case. Didn't that house burn down? Which would make me even MORE suspicious.

ETA. . it looks like the "no mirror" was from 2014.

There was a house nearby in North Garden that burned the night before her body was found--I think it was the referred to as a party house--rented out to college students.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV