JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the average- I don't know. But a lot of famous ones have quite high ones:
http://www.examiner.com/article/22-serial-killers-with-high-iqs

That might be why they are famous. But they aren't all Bundy's. Ridgway is considered the most prolific serial killer in the US and his IQ is below average. Most of them, in reality, aren't criminal masterminds. They are underachieving, lower than average IQ psychopaths who enjoy killing. When asked why they kill a high percentage, like 85% (sorry on my phone and can't look it up right now) said they kill for enjoyment. For contrast, less than 1% said they kill to remove the witness and avoid prosecution like was speculated here.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Is Huff Post considered MSM? :)

Has anyone seen this? I did NOT know JM ran track at Albemarle High. Also, it was claimed in something I read today- cannot remember where- that he went to Charlottesville High, but he did not. It was Albemarle, and then transferred to Monticello. At least according to this article. And that is in keeping with what I believe I heard originally.

"Matthew wrestled, played football and ran track at Charlottesville's Albemarle High School. Then in 1998, his junior year, he was transferred from overcrowded Albemarle to the newly completed Monticello High, and his parents separated"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/uva-kidnap-jesse-leroy-matthew_n_5929602.html

You know, I wonder if those weren't the GF's touch. Those are an inexpensive way to decorate, and provide motivational/uplifting quotes for folks who are not as fortunate as others. Completely IMO.

Who knows if the USA Today article is true, but I rolled my eyes when I read about all of the cheesy quotes plastered on his walls. Perhaps I'm jaded, but this quote culture that seems to permeate social media is so vacant. In fact I think the opposite of people, especially guys, when they are surrounded by these quotes, tweet them, or post them online. To those who don't see through it like I do, I will say it sure does help disguise a person's dark side.

I found this nugget of information, if true, very insightful- especially as it relates to character and how you want others to perceive you. JMO

I think it may have been from the girlfriend, as well. (OT): And while I appreciate Whiskers' opinion re: the quotes/sayings--call me naïve, but whether they're on FB or the fridge, I think a lot of people find them, not cheesy, but inspiring--I usually do! I think JM may be a master " compartmentalizer," and, if so, I can even see him being affected by them, at least at certain times. Have a nice day:giggle:

Is Huff Post considered MSM? :)

Has anyone seen this? I did NOT know JM ran track at Albemarle High. Also, it was claimed in something I read today- cannot remember where- that he went to Charlottesville High, but he did not. It was Albemarle, and then transferred to Monticello. At least according to this article. And that is in keeping with what I believe I heard originally.

"Matthew wrestled, played football and ran track at Charlottesville's Albemarle High School. Then in 1998, his junior year, he was transferred from overcrowded Albemarle to the newly completed Monticello High, and his parents separated"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/uva-kidnap-jesse-leroy-matthew_n_5929602.html

I've been bouncing around for the info forever. Does sound like good info to you? Let's see if our verified sources confirm that.

And Thank you! :)

That might be why they are famous. But they aren't all Bundy's. Ridgway is considered the most prolific serial killer in the US and his IQ is below average. Most of them, in reality, aren't criminal masterminds. They are underachieving, lower than average IQ psychopaths who enjoy killing. When asked why they kill a high percentage, like 85% (sorry on my phone and can't look it up right now) said they kill for enjoyment. For contrast, less than 1% said they kill to remove the witness and avoid prosecution like was speculated here.

IQs myQs. I'll never get over how these SK's get idolized as smart. It may sell tickets. It's not their intelligence or lack there of the leads them to rape and murder people, it's their inhumanity, with all due respect.

Since it has been mentioned that JM was not the best student and that his tutor thought he was performing at a much lower level than the college material he was studying, my guess is that he may be dyslexic. That is not to say he isn't smart in his own way though.

That got me thinking about the correlation between dyslexia and rape. I found some studies that do substantiate this. I searched "dyslexia and rape" if any of you would care to see the information on it.

The idea is that they are sweet nice friendly people who have struggled with failure and humiliation as children. As they get older the way they approach women in their nice mode is sometimes not returned. All the humiliation and hurt they felt all those years bubbles up to the surface and they act out, a quick temper, which may make the woman scared. They then feel power over someone, maybe for the first time. They can escalate their behavior quickly and go from abuse to rape to killing, getting their pleasure from inflicting hurt that was inflicted on them as children with their new found feeling of power.

There is also the potential to change this behavior from ever happening if they are identified as dyslexic at an early age and shown other ways to learn in an environment that is nurturing as opposed to ridicule from teachers and the humiliation from other students, which may have been the norm many years ago. I know I have seen this happen in classes I was in.

Just trying to understand what would provoke someone as nice as people claim JM to be to possibly go from one extreme to the other. I don't believe that so many people are born evil. They either learn it or have been in circumstances they were not prepared to handle and their brain's defense mechanism takes over in horrible ways.

Kie Green, thanks for this informative post! My first response was, "Whoa! There can't be a SIGNIFICANT relationship between the two!" And I'm sure, of course, that it's a rare phenomenon. But actually, something along these lines was what I was referring to in my earlier question for Spicer. I asked him if he thought JM felt , not only the accolades, but also the pity. I think he may not have seen this aspect with JM. But I've worked with teens for over 20 years, and I have seen the curious combination of love and distance that some students place on others. For one example, I can just see a student (especially a female) reaching over, giving a quick hug, "love ya, bro!"--then quickly going her own separate way especially if he were awkward and a little "different," not wanting to be a REAL friend, but more of a superficial one...one with genuine feelings, yes, but not considering this person as a peer.

It is so hard for a kid with a learning disability to deal over years with struggle, and humiliation, and the sideways glances, and the suppressed giggles, and the labels....(and it's a darn shame, because dyslexia has NOTHING to do with intelligence.) But kids can be judgmental and cruel, as we all know.

Most kids with any kind of LD are smart, adaptive, and end up perfectly fine. But I can honestly see this scenario playing out with certain individuals IF there are also other significant negatives in his life, whether it be abuse or mental illness,etc. It's complicated, but it could happen.

I certainly would never assume anything about JM's upbringing or his mental health. I'm sure his family loves him and has most likely supported him, and they have done nothing wrong. I'm also not tolerating, rationalizing, or trying to explain away his behavior. I'm just trying to understand. My heart aches for the missing and their families, especially the Graham's now with Hannah's disappearance. The sad thing is we will probably never know the origins of this awful tragedy.

Maybe the average- I don't know. But a lot of famous ones have quite high ones:
http://www.examiner.com/article/22-serial-killers-with-high-iqs

Quite honestly, we tend to think of how serial murderers "blend in" with society. This is what unites them in looking at characteristics, IMO. Think of what everyone has been saying about JM.

Doesn't it stand to reason then that if they seem like the rest of us ther would be a range of
IQ. Otherwise they would be easier to narrow by that trait?

Also, looking at IQ, someone said a SK has an IQ of around 84. What does that then say about the collective IQ of LE when they cannot catch him? Don't mean that as an insult to LE but shows limitations of IQ. A person who kills multiple times and eludes capture for a decade or more is not stupid.

Then how do they elude LE for decades?

Quite honestly, we tend to think of how serial murderers "blend in" with society. This is what unites them in looking at characteristics, IMO. Think of what everyone has been saying about JM.

Doesn't it stand to reason then that if they seem like the rest of us ther would be a range of
IQ. Otherwise they would be easier to narrow by that trait?

Also, looking at IQ, someone said a SK has an IQ of around 84. What does that then say about the collective IQ of LE when they cannot catch him? Don't mean that as an insult to LE but shows limitations of IQ. A person who kills multiple times and eludes capture for a decade or more is not stupid.

Conductor71, from my experience and imo, serial killers run the gambit of IQs... Fortunately most budding young sexual predators are apprehended before graduating to the status of being labeled serial killers. Regardless of IQs, the longer their evil trails of terror continue, the better they perform their craft.. As in JM's case, in the 21st century most are identified due to advancements in CSIs, forensics, communications, and other technology...
A sample of 174 serial killers in the US had a median IQ of 93... For various reasons; suicide, death by COP, etc., many serial & spree killer's IQ is unknown. They were never tested...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer
WA - GARY RIDGWAY - Green River Serial Killer> IQ 82 Active for over two decades, remaining stealth, and escaping justice time and time again - <Identified 11/2001> FBI CODIS DNA Match due to upgrades in dna technology which unknown by investigators, had been available for five years prior; since 1996>
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65576-WA-GARY-RIDGWAY-Green-River-Serial-Killer

Then how do they elude LE for decades?

Stranger-on-stranger murder is the most difficult type of murder to solve. I know you aren't saying this, but life isn't a CSI episode. And even with the forensic connections between the Fairfax rape, MH and now HG they still wouldn't have a POI if it wasn't for the video and then the eye witness in Texas who persevered (still rolling my eyes at her troubles getting taken seriously) to report him. And THAT was probably only successful because he was vain or dumb enough to not cut off his distinctive hair.

Ottis Toole was retarded based on his IQ yet he killed about six people and got away with the Adam Walsh murder for decades.

In addition, there's also the fact of LE having to abide by the law. They may know with certainty who an SK is but don't have the evidence to bring him to justice. I think that happens more often than we know.

I haven't checked in for a few days so this might've already been posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/16/graham-mystery-murder-charlottesville/17216765/

Just a bit of the article with some info on JM:

LIFE AND TIMES OF THE SUSPECT

Jesse Matthew Jr. lived by himself 3 miles from Charlottesville's historic downtown in a red-brick complex of garden apartments built in the late 1960s. His two-bedroom first-floor bachelor pad, which has been closed to the media until USA TODAY visited, was dominated by a large-screen TV that was frequently tuned to football games, and decorated with inspirational messages.

"Sing like no one's listening," urges the peel-and-stick wall art in one bedroom. "Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt." In the living room, a small "Leadership" poster in a cheap plastic frame shows a bird soaring over a lake and advises that "Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can fly."

"It's the nice-guy side of Jesse," his landlord Frances Lee-Vandell said in a nod to Matthew's mild temperament punctuated by outbursts.

<modsnip>

Does anyone know if Jesse has had ANY visitors? I can understand why his family probably does not want to risk having a monitored conversation with him, but they could easily convey their own heartbreak to him by asking him to divulge Hannah's whereabouts to his attorney or LE IF he has any knowledge about it. That would keep his family off the hook if they have to testify in court, because THEY would not have heard any admission from him themselves......FRUSTRATING JMO..............and what about his BFF's? Where are they? JMO

Does anyone know if Jesse has had ANY visitors? I can understand why his family probably does not want to risk having a monitored conversation with him, but they could easily convey their own heartbreak to him by asking him to divulge Hannah's whereabouts to his attorney or LE IF he has any knowledge about it. That would keep his family off the hook if they have to testify in court, because THEY would not have heard any admission from him themselves......FRUSTRATING JMO..............and what about his BFF's? Where are they? JMO

Is there something that makes you think he hasn't had any visitors?

I didn't take it that cady thought he hadn't had any, but that he/she was wondering if it's possible to find out. I'm personally curious as to whether he can receive visitors as well. I don't know if there is anyone here who would know though. Unless someone has worked in the jail before and knows the rules re: visitation in a case such as this.

Do we know if he is still in isolation? (he was in isolation at first, yes?)

I hesitate in even responding, as I am sure it will generate all kinds of interesting observations and suggestions. Sorry, Ibelieve in Constitutional Rights and due process.

All I have seen is in MSM. It is reported that he is in isolation, has no toilet available in his cell, and had not had the opportunity to shower since he was extradited to VA.

I do not know about visitors, but I assume he is not receiving many given that around 100 of his friends and family members attempted to crowd source a legal defense fund and had to shut down within hours after receiving numerous threats of violence and rape that extended to their families.

<modsnip>

Note: He has private counsel. Thought someone reported here that he had a public defender.

http://www.c-ville.com/jail-witness...-search-hannah-graham-continues/#.VEF-qPnF8r4

I hesitate in even responding, as I am sure it will generate all kinds of interesting observations and suggestions. Sorry, Ibelieve in Constitutional Rights and due process.

All I have seen is in MSM. It is reported that he is in isolation, has no toilet available in his cell, and had not had the opportunity to shower since he was extradited to VA.

I do not know about visitors, but I assume he is not receiving many given that around 100 of his friends and family members attempted to crowd source a legal defense fund and had to shut down within hours after receiving numerous threats of violence and rape that extended to their families.

As for BFF's, a person who knows JM was on WS the other night answering questions. I believe they said his best friends live out of state. WS Name is Spicer, I think.

Note: He has private counsel. Thought someone reported here that he had a public defender.

http://www.c-ville.com/jail-witness...-search-hannah-graham-continues/#.VEF-qPnF8r4

I can't make any claim to know how the jail treatment is actually going for him. But the witness who said he heard JM complaining about not having gotten a shower made that comment on Sept 28th, not recently, and also it is coming 3rd hand. Not that we have reason to doubt the witness, but just pointing that out. JM could have meant he hadn't gotten a shower since he'd gotten there, meaning THAT cell. We don't know.

Also, I don't know if toilets inSIDE cells are considered being treated well, but I am certain they are letting JM use a toilet. He may have to walk down the hall, but I don't consider that poor treatment. JMO.

One of the most important things, besides finding Hannah of course, is to keep JM alive, lest he commits suicide.
If he is in isolation, it is probably to protect JM from himself and others. jmo

It was weird wasn't it? The speed at which he noticed her and made a decision to do an about-face. I've watched the video countless times as I'm sure we all have. Trying to figure out a bunch of things, but the other day specifically trying to figure out when he first noticed her and how far away she was. There are trees in the way, cafe tables, umbrellas- and yet he still spots her from relatively far away IMO. I thought maybe he noticed her before. Like before he pops into the screen frame. But I don't think so. It's just so bizarre. How a brain can identify, size-up, make a plan, and take action in what appears to be 11 seconds. (29 to 41 on timer) http://wtvr.com/2014/09/18/all-surveillance-videos-of-missing-uva-student-hannah-elizabeth-graham/

I don't understand how it's possible. :confused:

BBM: Instinct, experience and practice - like a shark.

My recollection is that he locked on to her from across the patio - she's noticeable. Watching the video I see that the group behind her look like a pack of wolves - I can almost hear their cat calls "Hey babe what's the hurry' blah blah, which also got him focused. She is a coed, out of place and quite attractive. The way he overtook that group he was like a racehorse after the rabbit. If I didn't now know his history I may have thought he knew her too, but IMO it got late and manhandling those other girls got him wound. In a split second he made his decision - It's time, and she's the one.
He wasn't ending the night without a victim at that point.
IMO if Hanna wasn't there he would have picked someone else.

:cow:

I can't make any claim to know how the jail treatment is actually going for him. But the witness who said he heard JM complaining about not having gotten a shower made that comment on Sept 28th, not recently, and also it is coming 3rd hand. Not that we have reason to doubt the witness, but just pointing that out. JM could have meant he hadn't gotten a shower since he'd gotten there, meaning THAT cell. We don't know.

Also, I don't know if toilets inSIDE cells are considered being treated well, but I am certain they are letting JM use a toilet. He may have to walk down the hall, but I don't consider that poor treatment. JMO.

True, I wasn't making any value judgments. It could be worse! Just listing what was read in article. I am sure he has access to a toilet even if just a Turkish one (drain in the floor).

True, I wasn't making any value judgments. It could be worse! Just listing what was read in article. I am sure he has access to a toilet even if just a Turkish one (drain in the floor).

Is there a link to lack of toilette? Or simply a theoretical statement? Curious to read more (When I lived in France as a college student, two of my favorite local cafes had the Turkish variety. One does learn to adapt and have great aim.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placeholder25