JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting and informative...

This is my first post. I joined a couple of weeks ago but so far have just been reading, following and saying 'thanks' every now and then. I'm amazed at the great thoughts and points that are shared here.

I don't quite understand what any of his personal finance status has to with the case.

his clothes are missing

Mike Murillo ‏@MikeMurilloWTOP · 3m3 minutes ago

In addition to #HannahGraham's clothes and phone, police are looking for #JesseMatthew's blue checkered shirt, cargo pants and crocks.#WTOP

 Washington, DC

I knew the people who were 'trouble makers' in school and would be able to name them, even to this day. LJ was not one of them. It's possible that, with whatever possible learning disability he might have had, he would've goofed off in class, but if a teacher were to ask him to cut it out, I would think he would immediately become deferential. His friends, also, weren't trouble makers. They were on the football team and were required to maintain decorum in the classroom.

And yes, while he was the Athlete of the Year and a champion, I think it's important to remember that we're not in Texas. Besides George Allen and Michael Vick (who's not even from this part of Virginia), we don't churn out great football players. I'm pretty sure that the coaches and teachers realized that. YES, they might have been district champs, but I'd think it's a pretty safe bet to say that no one thought that any of the kids would go over to win Superbowls...so I don't think that by disciplining them, they would run the risk of affecting their future in the same way that it would affect another kid in a different state. Of course, totally MO...

Hey, Spicer2000. Thanks for coming back and your valuable contribution, rationale and specific information.

Any luck asking your friends about the suspects history of groping a cheerleader and being kicked off the team by the coach, and then going onto to football and wrestling? You had mentioned that you may be able to ask around when I asked last night. It would be nice to know if that is true, at least if only that he was kicked off the team or not.

his clothes are missing

Mike Murillo ‏@MikeMurilloWTOP · 3m3 minutes ago

In addition to #HannahGraham's clothes and phone, police are looking for #JesseMatthew's blue checkered shirt, cargo pants and crocks.#WTOP

 Washington, DC
Unfortunately, he probably burned them and if not he had a number of ways to discard them. It's terrible that he worked at a hospital, you can throw away anything there and I guarantee you nobody is taking it out of that trash. I know this from first hand experience. On my first day of clinicals I threw linen in the wrong bin and I was told to leave it.

Mike Murillo ‏@MikeMurilloWTOP · 6m6 minutes ago

Longo: Clearly someone knows where #HannahGraham is, we know 1 or more people must know that. #WTOP

 Washington, DC
Expand

more than 1 person??

Longo: Clearly someone knows where #HannahGraham is, we know 1 or more people must know that. #WTOP

 Washington, DC
Expand

more than 1 person??

No, "one or more" - there's a difference between that and "more than 1 person."

 Washington, DC
Expand

more than 1 person??

Seems they'd know who, too, if they're sure 1 or more others have answers....

Seems they'd know who, too, if they're sure 1 or more others have answers....

Yeah but this could be implying that grandma has answers shes not telling, could be his mother, father, anyone really. I don't think that this means they think someone else is involved. I just feel that they want to scare anyone into saying what they know about JM and that night.

No, "one or more" - there's a difference between that and "more than 1 person."

hmm yes there is..:thinking:

is the 1 =JM?
does JM get to see the PC? I think not because he'd be laughing at LE? or maybe they show him them, watch his reaction?

urggh..i'll have to think about this for a while & find more info /link to pc

I don't quite understand what any of his personal finance status has to with the case.

I agree conductor. I could care less about his finances, etc. It's the wealth of other information in this article that makes it of interest to me and hopefully others who may be reading some of the info for the first time.

Since it has been mentioned that JM was not the best student and that his tutor thought he was performing at a much lower level than the college material he was studying, my guess is that he may be dyslexic. That is not to say he isn't smart in his own way though.

That got me thinking about the correlation between dyslexia and rape. I found some studies that do substantiate this. I searched "dyslexia and rape" if any of you would care to see the information on it.

The idea is that they are sweet nice friendly people who have struggled with failure and humiliation as children. As they get older the way they approach women in their nice mode is sometimes not returned. All the humiliation and hurt they felt all those years bubbles up to the surface and they act out, a quick temper, which may make the woman scared. They then feel power over someone, maybe for the first time. They can escalate their behavior quickly and go from abuse to rape to killing, getting their pleasure from inflicting hurt that was inflicted on them as children with their new found feeling of power.

There is also the potential to change this behavior from ever happening if they are identified as dyslexic at an early age and shown other ways to learn in an environment that is nurturing as opposed to ridicule from teachers and the humiliation from other students, which may have been the norm many years ago. I know I have seen this happen in classes I was in.

Just trying to understand what would provoke someone as nice as people claim JM to be to possibly go from one extreme to the other. I don't believe that so many people are born evil. They either learn it or have been in circumstances they were not prepared to handle and their brain's defense mechanism takes over in horrible ways.

Oh my goodness. I'm a psychologist and neuroscientist by training and I have never heard anyone reputable speak of this connection, except that some people have found a correlation between being a victim of various types of abuse and long term neurological changes, including those that seem to give rise to learning disabilities, like dyslexia. To say that there is a connection between being a rapist and being dyslexic sounds an awful lot like pop theory. I could imagine a world in which someone had damage to certain areas of the brain that led to both language/reading problems and disinhibited/antisocial behavior, but run-of-the-mill dyslexia? No. If anything, his football-playing would be a more likely culprit (many blows to the head can lead to neurological damage). JMO.

Or they may very well have witnesses who saw the suspect with another person some place and at a time that would bespeak knowledge of where he took Hannah Graham. LE has received over 4000 tips. Some of those may have placed the suspect and the other "1 or more person," during the time of interest doing something, maybe an argument or an overheard telephone conversation?

Oh my goodness. I'm a psychologist and neuroscientist by training and I have never heard anyone reputable speak of this connection, except that some people have found a correlation between being a victim of various types of abuse and long term neurological changes, including those that seem to give rise to learning disabilities, like dyslexia. To say that there is a connection between being a rapist and being dyslexic sounds an awful lot like pop theory. I could imagine a world in which someone had damage to certain areas of the brain that led to both language/reading problems and disinhibited/antisocial behavior, but run-of-the-mill dyslexia? No. If anything, his football-playing would be a more likely culprit (many blows to the head can lead to neurological damage). JMO.

I can see where there might be a correlation, but certainly not causation. Not all rapists are dyslexic and not all dyslexics are rapists. Same with neurological damage. Not all serial killers have neurological damage and not all people with neurological damage become serial killers.

I tend to ascribe more to the social learning theories. And as you already know, I'm sure, human behavior is multi-faceted and complex. I can see where someone with dyslexia might have experienced more social traumas, which in turn, lacking proper coping skills, might contibute to a propensity toward violent crimes.

But yeah, to imply any direct link is junk science IMHO.

I'm still surprised that of all those people walking near HG in (I think) the Sal's video, we haven't heard from any of them. I'm sure LE have, but it seems odd to me that with that many, none have been quoted in the press. At least I'm unaware if they have. While they might not have been aware of HG at the time, surely they recognize themselves in the video and could describe what, if anything, was going on at the time of the video.

Also, I believe Spicer stated JM seemed to be more of a follower than a leader. Maybe his adult behavior/assaults are a result of wanting to be a "leader" and take control.

charlottesville is unusually close-lipped in terms of fame/media. that's why so many celebrities choose to live in the area. it is really easy to go about a regular life with no one fawning over you or reporting your every move to the world. i'm not surprised that locals weren't interested in being on camera or speaking to the media. everyone i know was really glad when all the trucks packed up and the news people moved on to their next story.

Thank you, bessie

Great informative reading this. Much appreciated. The whole document is good to read. I pulled out these few passages as stand outs in regards to this suspected SK:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...ses/serial-murder-pathways-for-investigations

In an effort to avoid or delay detection by law enforcement, the offender may change certain activities from
one murder to another.

Additionally, an offender may
also change pathways for other reasons to include:
• The first disposal technique was too risky.
• Exigent circumstances (offender was interrupted).
• Available resources at the time of the murder.
• Publicity in the media identifying a particular disposal location or scenario.
• The presence of law enforcement near the disposal area.
• For personal reasons or some intrinsic need of the offender.
It is important to remember in active serial murder investigations, motive may be difficult to determine.
A serial murderer may have multiple motives and evolve throughout the murder series and utilizing
investigative resources to discern the motive may derail the investigation from identifying the offender
(Morton & Hilts, 2008). Serial homicide offenders who display different motivations for their murders
can create problematic issues in linking cases. The NCAVC has uniquely qualified subject matter experts
that can provide investigative and behavioral assistance in these types of cases.

The whole "Lenny" reference is something that I've only heard since he was identified as a POI. It's not like we read OMaM in high school and everybody thought that LJ was Lenny-like. I know it's probably unbelievable (because I would never have believed that Ted Bundy could be as likeable as he supposedly was), but he really WAS everyone's friend -- not just an acquaintance and not just a sports "hero." He was our friend.

That being said, I DO think that so much emphasis was placed on his athletic ability as a young man that, when that was taken away from him, he had nothing left to truly define him -- his entire raison d'etre disappeared in an instant and I think he became really lost in life.

On a more general note -- I'd like to say I have been wonderfully surprised at the welcome I've received here. I've been lurking for a few weeks now and have been impressed with the rational thought expressed here -- as opposed to the lynch mob mentality I've seen other places. So thanks, everyone!

When I first saw the video of him in the Mall, I thought he looked sort of silly and playful, gregarious, happy. I guess part of it was the way he high-fived the woman in the first frame. Is that how he struck you, in general? Right after I saw it and posted that I thought he had gone after HG and that I could see him in the second video, next to her, I said something like, "FWIW, he doesn't look at all threatening."

I can see where there might be a correlation, but certainly not causation. Not all rapists are dyslexic and not all dyslexics are rapists. Same with neurological damage. Not all serial killers have neurological damage and not all people with neurological damage become serial killers.

I tend to ascribe more to the social learning theories. And as you already know, I'm sure, human behavior is multi-faceted and complex. I can see where someone with dyslexia might have experienced more social traumas, which in turn, lacking proper coping skills, might contibute to a propensity toward violent crimes.

But yeah, to imply any direct link is junk science IMHO.

There are all kinds of frustrations and setbacks and disadvantages in life that could, in theory, contribute to a propensity toward violent crimes. I would have to really to stretch to give dyslexia special status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLoo313