JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He does have Facebook, but his nickname is LJ, so that's what you will find him under on Facebook "LJ Matthews" . But he's blanked out pretty much everything.

I haven't read through every page on this post. But skimmed them. And just wanted to add a few things...
Just helping trying to paint a picture of this guy.

He hid in plain site, he was a local with many friends/acquaintances around town, and frequently seen out on the weekends. He grew up in this bubble of a community.

From my personal experience (I lived in Cville the year Morgan vanished, I worked in a local bar, that JLM frequented): he was like that big over bearing guy that was a little too touchy, but that you never thought, or at least I never saw a side of him, that made me think he was dark. But I only knew him as an acquaintance and a patron. Once or twice I drank with a group after work that he was a part of, and have even had a free ride in his cab. This is all very weird, because it was years ago, and I probably wouldn't have ever thought of this guy again, until I saw his picture on my tv screen, connected to Hannah Graham. And needless to say it was a little too real.

But I just wanted to help paint a picture of this guy for you.

He had a blue button down shirt on, and dark sunglasses....not much of a costume!

I don't recall seeing anything about JM being on any social websites. It's hard to imagine he wasn't considering the stories of how he'd hit on women. Do we really think he wasn't online or have we just not discovered his accounts? You'd really imagine he'd even be on sites like this after Morgan's case made national news.

Recall that JLM made a comment on the website or FB for that park in another county? Gee, I can't even remember the name of it. I have also read he posted on MH's find Morgan site. Might he also have commented on some of the online sites that reported on various missing young women? He just seems like the type who would do that and enjoy posting in plain site about crimes only HE knows he committed.

He had a blue button down shirt on, and dark sunglasses....not much of a costume!

The blue button down shirt sure fits in with the UVA prep crowd. Very different kind of look than those baggy shorts grandma (allegedly) recognized! Unless his clothing preferences have changed over the years, I might laugh and say the blue button down was indeed a costume..
(And assuming it was nighttime -- sunglasses?)
Thanks a bunch.

ETA: aaargh probably belongs in JLM What We Know About Him... sorry.

Psychopaths from my understanding;are missing a genetic component,that connects to emotions;they cannot feel remorse . Most SK operate alone;if one person knows their game is over. They may 'act' like they are compassionate;following others remarks, but it is purely an act. Most SK are psychopaths,they can be very cunning and manipulative and portray the nice guy image. Ted Bundy comes to mind. That is why it's so hard to know the real person. They can be charming,acting sincere,to achieve their goals.I can see JM 'chatting up' the patients he transported,or his cab fares;hitting on women in the bars. I doubt his family had a clue to his double life.
People see what , they want to see; and can be blinded by his true nature.

I was replying to a post on the Awaiting Forensic and realized we were getting off on a tangent. Oops. So I'm moving it over here:

The blue button down shirt sure fits in with the UVA prep crowd. Very different kind of look than those baggy shorts grandma (allegedly) recognized! Unless his clothing preferences have changed over the years, I might laugh and say the blue button down was indeed a costume..
(Assuming it was nighttime -- sunglasses?)
Thanks a bunch.

You know, that's a very interesting point. About the "fitting in with the UVA prep crowd." Related to what ThinkHard as described as the varied subsets in C-ville, I think it's very possible JM felt a bit like an outsider to the college crowd. The townie group is quite removed in many ways from the university. Not a lot of cross-pollination if you will. If JM felt ostracized from 2 different colleges (brought on by his own doing of course....), he really may have felt like an outsider. Maybe he wanted desperately to fit in to a college group. And there he had one- right in his backyard. But he never fit in. He would not, from my experiences been particularly welcomed into the college social group there. My guess is that this continued to build resentment in him. Particularly toward college girls. Just a thought. All brainstorming and MOO of course.

Does anyone know where the dates of his supposed dirty deals took place? I believe the date of his first rape at Liberty was on October 17th, and that is the same exact day (diff year) that Morgan vanished.

Trying to bring over from Forensic Thread, for reference...

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkHard View Post

---------

(And assuming it was nighttime -- sunglasses?)
Thanks a bunch.

ETA: aaargh probably belongs in JLM What We Know About Him... sorry.

Originally Posted by ThinkHard View Post
New to this post but have read back through several pages to try to catch myself up to the conversation a bit. I was living in Cville the year Morgan was killed. I had two jobs then, one was in a local bar/restaurant. I was working the night of the Metallica concert, I remember clearly all the fans coming in when the concert was over. (Crushing to think this was roughly the exact time terrible things where happening to Morgan). I was also working the night her remains where found, I remember all of us staring at the TV screens. Pretty much every other person who worked in that bar was was a local, from Cville or Nelson county, and other surrounding rural areas, some of them even working there as part of work release from prison. And one or to UVA students, including one who's friend is the guy who found the Metallica shirt on the bush near his apartment in Nov.

Cville for those who are not familiar with it is a bit of a bubble. You have a very long 29 running 2hrs north to DC and very little that's not rural in between, you have Richmond an hour east, you have mountains to your west, and Lynchburg about 2hrs south. No one really leaves the area, which is what makes it this odd little bubble. You have the UVA students who think they go to the best school ever created, you have the white wealthy locals, who have a bit of that stuck up southern charm, you have the poor white locals, the poor black locals, and you have some pseudo hippies, and some preps, the final two usually falling into the post grad, or post post grad UVA student or alumni status. But my point is it is an odd little culture sort of all stuck in the one little area of VA. And I think comprehending the culture of this town is important.

Because JLM was a LOCAL! He frequented the bar I worked at!!! He knew people I worked with. He hid in plane site! I saw him often. He's hard to miss! I even road in his cab once! He was at a Halloween party at my bar, the year Morgan vanished, I have a pictures he's in the background, at that time his dreadlocks where much shorter, only to about his forehead. It would have been only 2 weeks after the Metallica concert.

Welcome to the thread/s, ThinkHard.. Thanx for sharing this very interesting info...
I agree 100% that is imperative to know the culture of a geographical area when investigating or sleuthing a missing/murdered person/s case. I've noticed that when cases in rural areas are sleuthed<WS>, or investigated<LE>by folks from urban areas or vice versa. Many times there seems to be a disadvantage due to this culture clash. This is why it is very important for locals to join in the discussions of the websleuths' threads. I can't remember a WS thread where so many locals have joined in and contributed to a missing/mudered person/s case discussion. Imo, this says a lot about the Charlottesville and VA community... "Salute"!

Dressed as a Serial Killer, perhaps?
he saves that look

The comment that HG's parents just wanted to go to the site....no normal parent just wants to go to a murder scene with skeletal remains for no reason.

Im so sad for them. I would want to go too if I were them. And of course if they were to go it would be while the area is closed off....so they can have their private time there.

Does anyone know where the dates of his supposed dirty deals took place? I believe the date of his first rape at Liberty was on October 17th, and that is the same exact day (diff year) that Morgan vanished.

I'm trying to remember when JLM began growing dreads. Friends have said he began growing them after the sketch of the Fairfax perp was released to the public.

Not sure i should reply here, or in the other thread...but regardless...my thought was;

I've read this too, though I can't remember specifically where, but the sketch was first released 9 years ago after the rape in Fairfax...I'm assuming in the Fairfax area....it wasnt released/circulated widely in Charlottesville, until many many many months after Morgan vanished (i.e. the Fairfax DNA connection was made). I'd have to look it up to be specific but if memory serves me correctly this was roughly the summer/fall of 2010.

My other thought is it would be super easy for LE to know what his hair would have been like at various points, their must be enough photos btw Facebook (own and friends), and family that, with their access this would be easy enough to determine. However I find it odd that his friends would be able to specifically remember that the growing of his dreads coincided with the release of the sketches of the Morgan Harrington suspect...without those same friends at that time, have wondered if it could be him?

I'm thankful its been confirmed by another familiar with Cville, because I can't emphasize enough how much I think we have to try to understand Charlottesvilles culture, to understand the motivations, and even law enforcement tactics applied to this case....it is a unique, divided, closed lipped, pseudo-incentious, bubble! It is beautiful! The mountains are stunning! The campus is precious! The Vineyards run into the many dozens! But it is an odd odd little place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member