JLM: When will charges come in the HG and MH cases?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder what would happen if they tested the men's DNA listed in the article below against MH's shirt?

Just curious - thoughts are swirling. More information coming together. If this eye witness has credibility and if this were true that would mean MH was probably gang raped. This would coincide with the mixed DNA.

http://www.readthehook.com/69512/mis...rgan-sightings

< With the blonde were four young, white men&#8211;- a conspicuous group, says the witness, because of the direction they were headed: away from the Arena.
In addition to a black miniskirt, tights, and a black shirt, the young blonde was wearing distinctive high-heeled boots, says the witness, a mother of two who spoke on condition of anonymity over concern for getting "pulled into the fray."
Until now, the missing woman's boots have been described as "knee high," but this witness insists they were "over the knee." (Through a spokesperson with the Harrington's recently hired PR firm, Gil Harrington says the boots she saw Morgan try on prior to the concert were not above the knee.)

The men, says the witness, were allegedly laughing.

According to several sources, members of UVA's men's basketball team were among the last to see Harrington in the grassy, tree-shrouded parking area before she was seen with her thumb out, hitching a ride on the bridge.

Emails sent to numerous team members were forwarded to UVA spokesperson Carol Wood, who directed the inquiry to State Police, but Geller declines comment on the identity of any witnesses.

"We leave it to them whether they want to speak publicly," she says.
One possible witness has been speaking publicly, in part, she says, because she doesn't believe investigators have fully followed her lead.

"I know what I saw," says Norma Parson, a newspaper delivery woman who believes she saw Morgan&#8211; or an incredible lookalike&#8211;- coming out of a room on UVA's West Lawn at 3:45am October 18, six hours after the last confirmed sighting on Copeley Bridge.

"She was tall and thin," says Parson, who says the woman's high black boots had heels making her appear taller than Morgan's reported height of 5'6" and that she wasn't wearing the black hose or tights police have described.
Because the woman also was wearing a jacket that was fastened shut, Parson says, she couldn't determine whether the woman's blonde hair, which was tucked inside, was long or short. But as the blond woman&#8211;- accompanied by three young men, two shorter, one taller&#8211;- passed by her in the well-lit brick walkway along the Lawn, she says, she got a clear look at her face, and her heavily made-up eyes, in particular. She says the woman's presence in the wee hours of a chilly night&#8211;- and her bare legs&#8211;- seized her attention.

"I thought, 'What's she doing out here dressed like that,'" Parson recalls. When she learned of Harrington's disappearance two days later and saw photographs of heavy mascara- and eyeliner-wearing Morgan, "I knew immediately it was the same girl I saw," says Parson, who credits art training for teaching her to examine facial details&#8211;- even those she sees in passing.

"I never had a moment's doubt," she insists.>

I wonder what would happen if they tested the men's DNA listed in the article below against MH's shirt?

Just curious - thoughts are swirling. More information coming together. If this eye witness has credibility and if this were true that would mean MH was probably gang raped. This would coincide with the mixed DNA.

< With the blonde were four young, white men&#8211;- a conspicuous group, says the witness, because of the direction they were headed: away from the Arena.
In addition to a black miniskirt, tights, and a black shirt, the young blonde was wearing distinctive high-heeled boots, says the witness, a mother of two who spoke on condition of anonymity over concern for getting "pulled into the fray."
Until now, the missing woman's boots have been described as "knee high," but this witness insists they were "over the knee." (Through a spokesperson with the Harrington's recently hired PR firm, Gil Harrington says the boots she saw Morgan try on prior to the concert were not above the knee.)

According to several sources, members of UVA's men's basketball team were among the last to see Harrington in the grassy, tree-shrouded parking area before she was seen with her thumb out, hitching a ride on the bridge.

Emails sent to numerous team members were forwarded to UVA spokesperson Carol Wood, who directed the inquiry to State Police, but Geller declines comment on the identity of any witnesses.

One possible witness has been speaking publicly, in part, she says, because she doesn't believe investigators have fully followed her lead.

"I know what I saw," says Norma Parson, a newspaper delivery woman who believes she saw Morgan&#8211; or an incredible lookalike&#8211;- coming out of a room on UVA's West Lawn at 3:45am October 18, six hours after the last confirmed sighting on Copeley Bridge.

"She was tall and thin," says Parson, who says the woman's high black boots had heels making her appear taller than Morgan's reported height of 5'6" and that she wasn't wearing the black hose or tights police have described.
Because the woman also was wearing a jacket that was fastened shut, Parson says, she couldn't determine whether the woman's blonde hair, which was tucked inside, was long or short. But as the blond woman&#8211;- accompanied by three young men, two shorter, one taller&#8211;- passed by her in the well-lit brick walkway along the Lawn, she says, she got a clear look at her face, and her heavily made-up eyes, in particular. She says the woman's presence in the wee hours of a chilly night&#8211;- and her bare legs&#8211;- seized her attention.

"I thought, 'What's she doing out here dressed like that,'" Parson recalls. When she learned of Harrington's disappearance two days later and saw photographs of heavy mascara- and eyeliner-wearing Morgan, "I knew immediately it was the same girl I saw," says Parson, who credits art training for teaching her to examine facial details&#8211;- even those she sees in passing.

"I never had a moment's doubt," she insists.>

You know, this theory is a little "out there". But for some reason I have been giving it more and more weight. I think something along these lines happening is entirely possible.

CoolJ, I totally agree with your assessment of the DNA matches. The cigar butt tip would be unremarkable if it did NOT match MH, since they now had a DNA swab from JM to compare to both the shirt and the Fairfax samples. I really wonder if they may have found a pack of the same brand of wooden tipped cigars in MH's lost purse?

One sentence in the report has always bothered me though :

There was a large diffuse of stain on the shirt,&#8221; the search warrant indicated. &#8220;A DNA mixture profile was developed&#8230;.on the shirt and searched against the Virginia DNA Data Bank.

Why is there an unexpected break in that sentence ? (....) between Developed and on the shirt . Has something been redacted?
Does it describe the type of stain?
Is it just lackluster reporting?
Shouldn't it be "From" the shirt?
Am I over-thinking this punctuation?

Another article about the eyewitness of MH.

http://www.readthehook.com/68819/trail-harringtons-body-creates-new-mysteries-angles

One person who finds the discovery of the shirt interesting is Norma Parson.

A newspaper deliveryperson who works early mornings, she has long insisted she saw Morgan&#8211; or a Morgan lookalike&#8211; walking out of a room on UVA's West Lawn around 3:45am on October 18, hours after the Metallica show ended. Accompanied by three males, Parson says, the blond woman she saw was dressed all in black and wearing a coat, miniskirt, and knee-high boots.

Parson has long claimed that police failed to fully follow her lead, although police insist her tip was fully vetted, and a student whose room is adjacent to the one Parson noted confirmed that police interviewed him and his neighbor.

"I still believe it was her," says Parson. Police have not recontacted her.

< With the blonde were four young, white men–- a conspicuous group, says the witness, because of the direction they were headed: away from the Arena.

"I know what I saw," says Norma Parson, a newspaper delivery woman who believes she saw Morgan– or an incredible lookalike–- coming out of a room on UVA's West Lawn at 3:45am October 18, six hours after the last confirmed sighting on Copeley Bridge.

**Snipped for response

"Emails sent to numerous team members"? By who, I wonder?

It's odd to me that the witnesses in the MH case, and the HG case, are so closed-mouthed. According to this article, I believe it is Geller who said they leave it to the witnesses to decide whether or not to speak publicly. Can that really be true? No one is willing to say anything to a reporter about their encounters with these victims before they disappeared??? (I know she was only referring to the MH case, but the same situation is going on in the HG case--with the exception of Tempo owner/staff). What's up with that?

Does it seem strange to others for JLM to have carried this "wooden tip from a cigar butt" in his wallet? I wonder if the cigar itself (that was previously attached to the wooden tip) might have been laced with something. I have read in local news that synthetic marijuana, aka "spice", is carried inside blunt cigars. I know that "spice" can cause severe psychological/hallucinogenic reactions but I don't know if it's ever used as a date-rape drug. I'm not very knowledgable about street drugs, so I have no idea, but the cigar made me think about this as perhaps a possibility. IMO

In my area of central Va, Black and Milds are typically purchased to roll "blunts". The tobacco is rolled out and either straight "weed" or a mixture of weed and tobacco is placed inside.

Theyve become so popular with marijuana users that many convenience stores now sell flavored wraps as well.

I cant think of any other reason someone would carry their own wooden tip in their wallet.

If he were smoking Black and Milds as intended there would be no need for the tip as he would be the only one smoking it .......................whereas 'blunts' are usually shared.

Additionally, carrying a tip in ones wallet implies more than just casual use.

It would also explain why JLMs 'friends" have been reluctant to approach the police with information about his personality and behavior.

This is interesting...not much DNA evidence?

"The other DNA test the Harringtons are pressing authorities to run is a familial DNA search, which could help narrow the pool of possible suspects by finding close relatives of the unknown assailant . That search will only work if the perpetrator has an immediate relative&#8211; parent, sibling or child&#8211; who is a convicted felon or has been arrested for a violent felony&#8211; the two ways an individual's DNA would end up in the identified zone of the state databank.

The Virginia Department of Forensic Science has obtained and is currently in the process of validating familial DNA searching software. However, State Police spokesperson Geller says investigators must proceed "very selectively and carefully" with any DNA testing because the evidence available for analysis is limited. DNA is destroyed by the testing process and cannot be retested for different purposes that might arise."

http://www.readthehook.com/88650/hes-still-here-and-other-revelations-harrington-case
11:46am Tuesday Feb 8th, 2011

Have a look again.
The diffuse stain was a match to the DNA database. (JLMs DNA from the Fairfax rape)
The MAJORITY of the interior of the Pantera shirt was a match to the cigar tip.
There are 2 separate DNA samples on the shirt with 2 distinct matches.

http://wtvr.com/2014/11/24/search-w...-between-jesse-matthew-and-morgan-harrington/

Here is one match:
There was a large diffuse of stain on the shirt,&#8221; the search warrant indicated. &#8220;A DNA mixture profile was developed&#8230;.on the shirt and searched against the Virginia DNA Data Bank.

Here is another separate match:
A DNA profile was developed from the &#8216;wooden tip from a cigar butt&#8217; and could not be eliminated as a contributor to the sampling from the majority of the interior of the black t-shirt,&#8221; the search warrant continued

We'll just respectfully have to agree to disagree. I can read it upside down and forward and still come to the same conclusion. The DNA on the cigar tip belongs to JLM and it matches the stain on MH's shirt. I do think there is significance to the redacted portion of the article. I see no reason for any confusion, but I realize reading something straight forward isn't always the way everyone reads. Keep in mind that unless MH herself left DNA that derived from a stain on the inside of her own shirt (which is not indicated), the shirt itself would not be a good candidate for Touch DNA testing.

http://www.acsr.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Williamson.pdf

In my area of central Va, Black and Milds are typically purchased to roll "blunts". The tobacco is rolled out and either straight "weed" or a mixture of weed and tobacco is placed inside.

Theyve become so popular with marijuana users that many convenience stores now sell flavored wraps as well.

I cant think of any other reason someone would carry their own wooden tip in their wallet.

If he were smoking Black and Milds as intended there would be no need for the tip as he would be the only one smoking it .......................whereas 'blunts' are usually shared.

It would also explain why JLMs 'friends" have been reluctant to approach the police with information about his personality and behavior.

Thanks for your post, Zapped. I live on the Gulf/Emerald Coast and substituting marijuana for tobacco in blunts goes on here too. Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor (unless in larger quantity). More recently, however, these store-bought blunts are replacing the tobacco with "spice" (synthetic marijuana). Like you said, the blunts are now sold scented which masks the scent of the "spice" or marijuana. In Aalabama, the possession of "spice" is a felony even though it is sold and bought legally! I have, unfortunately, seen a first-hand reaction to "spice" and it is the scariest thing I've seen. ER personnel were called and the patient was rushed to the hospital. After the initial reaction there was a complete "mellow" and friendliness and totally cooperative. The "bad" reaction was rather brief (seemed like forEVER) - maybe about ten minutes tops. IMO

Have a look again.
The diffuse stain was a match to the DNA database. (JLMs DNA from the Fairfax rape)
The MAJORITY of the interior of the Pantera shirt was a match to the cigar tip.
There are 2 separate DNA samples on the shirt with 2 distinct matches.

http://wtvr.com/2014/11/24/search-w...-between-jesse-matthew-and-morgan-harrington/

Here is one match:

Here is another separate match:
A DNA profile was developed from the &#8216;wooden tip from a cigar butt&#8217; and could not be eliminated as a contributor to the sampling from the majority of the interior of the black t-shirt,&#8221; the search warrant continued

I think you are misunderstanding this - but it is very understandable considering how poorly worded it is. The reason it is poorly worded is because it was taken from the warrant that LE wrote and they were attempting to quote the forensic science report and they appear to have done it badly.

Forensic science DNA reports are worded in a very specific way that is consistent among all reports. The part comparing the DNA from the wooden tip to the sampling from the interior of the shirt is worded in the manner of a comparison between a known profile (the wooden tip from JM) and an unknown profile (the sample from the shirt). What also supports this interpretation is the fact that statistics were also included. Statistics are only included when a known matches an unknown - NEVER with 2 unknowns.

People have speculated that the profile from the wooden tip is MH but that doesn't make any sense because to compare MH to the shirt, they would have simply used her known DNA sample. And if her DNA profile matched the wooden tip, it would be listed separately - such as "...MH could not be eliminated as a contributor of the DNA profile from the wooden tip..."

Things like the wooden tip from the cigar are submitted to the lab quite frequently as knowns from people when not enough probable cause exists to get a buccal sample - cigarette butts, drink straws, cups, bottles, etc. These are all commonly sent to the lab as knowns. Nothing at all unusual about it.

We'll just respectfully have to agree to disagree. I can read it upside down and forward and still come to the same conclusion. The DNA on the cigar tip belongs to JLM and it matches the stain on MH's shirt. I do think there is significance to the redacted portion of the article. I see no reason for any confusion, but I realize reading something straight forward isn't always the way everyone reads. Keep in mind that unless MH herself left DNA that derived from a stain on the inside of her own shirt (which is not indicated), the shirt itself would not be a good candidate for Touch DNA testing.

http://www.acsr.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Williamson.pdf

I agree that it is somewhat crazy to think he had this trophy in his wallet for 5 years. But I am reading that article as straight forward as you can get. I could be wrong sure, but only if it is from terrible reporting. I do not know how reading the above article one could get any other impression from it. It spells it out fairly clearly in my mind. The stain matches JLM, the interior shirt matches cigar tip. Each to his own I guess. Agree to disagree.

ETA: BBM I don't quite get what you are saying here, we already know that they confirmed the shirt was MH's through DNA testing. When it is says "majority of interior" do you see why I assume that to be wearer DNA( which is touch DNA)?

I think you are misunderstanding this - but it is very understandable considering how poorly worded it is. The reason it is poorly worded is because it was taken from the warrant that LE wrote and they were attempting to quote the forensic science report and they appear to have done it badly.

Forensic science DNA reports are worded in a very specific way that is consistent among all reports. The part comparing the DNA from the wooden tip to the sampling from the interior of the shirt is worded in the manner of a comparison between a known profile (the wooden tip from JM) and an unknown profile (the sample from the shirt). What also supports this interpretation is the fact that statistics were also included. Statistics are only included when a known matches an unknown - NEVER with 2 unknowns.

People have speculated that the profile from the wooden tip is MH but that doesn't make any sense because to compare MH to the shirt, they would have simply used her known DNA sample. And if her DNA profile matched the wooden tip, it would be listed separately - such as "...MH could not be eliminated as a contributor of the DNA profile from the wooden tip..."

Things like the wooden tip from the cigar are submitted to the lab quite frequently as knowns from people when not enough probable cause exists to get a buccal sample - cigarette butts, drink straws, cups, bottles, etc. These are all commonly sent to the lab as knowns. Nothing at all unusual about it.

Are you a professional in any of the fields of forensic science? You could very well be right. The article could be misleading and the redacted portions could hold some significance that can tie things together a little more clearly. Is there a copy of the warrant available, do you know?

I agree that it is somewhat crazy to think he had this trophy in his wallet for 5 years. But I am reading that article as straight forward as you can get. I could be wrong sure, but only if it is from terrible reporting. I do not know how reading the above article one could get any other impression from it. It spells it out fairly clearly in my mind. The stain matches JLM, the interior shirt matches cigar tip. Each to his own I guess. Agree to disagree.

ETA: BBM I don't quite get what you are saying here, we already know that they confirmed the shirt was MH's through DNA testing. When it is says "majority of interior" do you see why I assume that to be wearer DNA( which is touch DNA)?

No doubt the shirt was tested for MH's DNA. I doubt very much they tested the "majority of the interior" of that shirt to identify it as belonging to MH. Read the link I posted about collecting and testing DNA, specifically the part on Touch DNA. Also read Ralph's post above. Also, you seem to be thinking that the diffuse of stain found on the shirt (which identified JLM's DNA from that stain) is somehow not located on both sides of the shirt. It's a tee shirt, right?

It's as clear as a bell to me, too. I hope we'll find out for sure from LE at some point. Surely such things will be discussed at trial, if that ever comes to pass.

One sentence in the report has always bothered me though :

There was a large diffuse of stain on the shirt,” the search warrant indicated. “A DNA mixture profile was developed….on the shirt and searched against the Virginia DNA Data Bank.

Why is there an unexpected break in that sentence ? (....) between Developed and on the shirt . Has something been redacted?
Does it describe the type of stain?
Is it just lackluster reporting?
Shouldn't it be "From" the shirt?
Am I over-thinking this punctuation?

The ellipses are used to represent portions from the original search warrant that were omitted from the article. In other words, the author quoted what was in the search warrant on the DNA lab results, but only selectively. The ellipses or break represent the part they have left out.

They had to do this because the warrant was a leak to media and the police issued a reprimand right away that this was sensitive info that could compromise case. The media still wanted to give us some info but had to edit, so just that key things may be missing due to need for sealing evidence. It is not poor reporting or writing, but rather the result of deferring to request of law enforcement.

I have to disagree Ralph. Finding JM's DNA on a cigar butt in his OWN WALLET, would be like saying "We found his fingerprints on his ID card" At this point they had his Buccal swab for comparison.
The tshirt with his DNA on it is damning evidence, but somewhat lessened by the fact that it was found in a "public" place. Finding an item with MH's dna in his wallet is a little harder to explain away.
You have much more knowledge of DNA protocol than I do , and I can see why you view the evidence as you do . But I see NO REASON for even testing the cigar tip Unless it was to show another link between JM and MH.

Sadly, the reporting in this case, along with LE's desire to keep all evidence under wraps has us debating issues such as this one.

Just My Opinion ~

Could this be why they tested the cigar tip? To see if he was sharing the blunt with someone else (i.e., accomplice in his run from VA)? Not sure why they would think that, since he is on so much surveillance on the trip to TX, but who knows?

Ralph, why would LE take a cigar tip to evaluate for DNA when they had him for the buccal swab? IMO, that part makes absolutely no sense, unless they were looking for something else.

I have to disagree Ralph. Finding JM's DNA on a cigar butt in his OWN WALLET, would be like saying "We found his fingerprints on his ID card" At this point they had his Buccal swab for comparison.
The tshirt with his DNA on it is damning evidence, but somewhat lessened by the fact that it was found in a "public" place. Finding an item with MH's dna in his wallet is a little harder to explain away.
You have much more knowledge of DNA protocol than I do , and I can see why you view the evidence as you do . But I see NO REASON for even testing the cigar tip Unless it was to show another link between JM and MH.

Sadly, the reporting in this case, along with LE's desire to keep all evidence under wraps has us debating issues such as this one.

Just My Opinion ~

The thing is, I believe the cigar tip was tested before he was in custody, before they had his buccal swab. It was tested as his known sample so yes it needed to be something that one would expect to have only his DNA on. There isn't anything in the article that gives a timeframe for when it was tested. My belief is that it was collected and processed in the original batch of evidence. After he was arrested in TX, the obtained a buccal swab from him and then verified the results. But the results listed in this warrant were from the first batch of results.

The fact that stats were given to the comparison make me absolutely sure they were comparing a known from JM to an unknown from the shirt. There would be no stats given in the situation you describe.

The thing is, I believe the cigar tip was tested before he was in custody, before they had his buccal swab. It was tested as his known sample so yes it needed to be something that one would expect to have only his DNA on. There isn't anything in the article that gives a timeframe for when it was tested. My belief is that it was collected and processed in the original batch of evidence. After he was arrested in TX, the obtained a buccal swab from him and then verified the results. But the results listed in this warrant were from the first batch of results.

The fact that stats were given to the comparison make me absolutely sure they were comparing a known from JM to an unknown from the shirt. There would be no stats given in the situation you describe.

I am copying pasting a timeline from a previous post I made. The dates have all been source checked; some is my conjecture, and I have noted where with MOO. Dates BBM answer your questions at least from what has been released by media or LE.

2014- September 19-22 Time frame for taking cigar butt sample?? (MOO on dates) Sample originates with Charlottesville Police, IMO.
Hit found with Fairfax profile.

2014- September 30 MH and JM linked via Fairfax evidence press reveals.

2014- October 8-15 DNA profile developed from wooden cigar butt taken from JM.
Could not be eliminated as a contributor to the majority of sampling over a broad area inside the shirt.
Could not eliminated as a contributor to the mixed DNA profiles on MH's shirt.
Probability that a non-related random matching profile contributed to the DNA mix on the shirt is 1 in 72 bilion.

2014 - October 24 Buccal swab analyzed in lab and matched to Fairfax perp.

My thought is that cigar tip was collected during search of his car and apartment back on September 19th and the profile was run through VA DNA bank and matched to Fairfax perp (which is foreign DNA on MH's shirt). The rest follows from that IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back