Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the prosecution comes across new evidence during the trial, are they allowed to bring it in?

Sometimes. It depends what kind of excuse they have for not discovering the evidence earlier, how important it is, whether or not the defense would need more time to respond to the evidence, etc. The judge has to weigh all the facts and circumstances to decide something like this.

Sometimes. It depends what kind of excuse they have for not discovering the evidence earlier, how important it is, whether or not the defense would need more time to respond to the evidence, etc. The judge has to weigh all the facts and circumstances to decide something like this.

What if (and that is a big if) JM found proof that JA was originally on the Cancun ticket and TA later changed it to MiMi?

Hi AZ.

Can the interragation tape of her saying she kicked a dog and almost starved a cat to death be admitted now that LV brought into question animal cruelty as part of DV.

Don't get me started on animal cruelty. We would have a lot of peoplw locked up if it were up to me--just for that alone, LOL.

What is the motion for a Protective Order that JA's attorneys have filed that the hearing is tomorrow (03/27/13) morning, 9am with a different judge about?

I can't find a link right this minute, I'm sorry! I'm heading home, hopefully I can find one when I get there.

Thank you :)

What if (and that is a big if) JM found proof that JA was originally on the Cancun ticket and TA later changed it to MiMi?

Just to clarify, no one has said she was originally on any ticket, just that she was originally the person named by TA as his companion. Probably this was long before any tickets were bought, and then when it came time to give the "final" names (when tickets needed to be bought), that's when he changed it.

Also, if I understand correctly, the person who said this was not necessarily some official PPL representative, so that person may or may not know what they're talking about.

If this indeed happened, I suppose the Judge's question to Juan would be, "yes, but how are you going to prove Jodi knew about this?" If Juan has nothing to show that Jodi knew, IMO the judge will not allow it. If he can somehow show that Jodi knew, and if he can explain why he's learning this info so late--e.g., did he just fail to interview the witness, or is there some better explanation?--she will probably allow it.

Hi AZ.

Can the interragation tape of her saying she kicked a dog and almost starved a cat to death be admitted now that LV brought into question animal cruelty as part of DV.

Don't get me started on animal cruelty. We would have a lot of peoplw locked up if it were up to me--just for that alone, LOL.

Ooooh maybe. :) If I were Juan I would sure give that a shot.

That's kind of what I thought. It just sounds cartoonish in my opinion.

My understanding is that the Travis parts were almost inaudible on the tape and they had to alter the tape to make them heard. So that might account for any distortion.

What is the motion for a Protective Order that JA's attorneys have filed that the hearing is tomorrow (03/27/13) morning, 9am with a different judge about?

I can't find a link right this minute, I'm sorry! I'm heading home, hopefully I can find one when I get there.

Thank you :)

We don't know for sure, but all indications are that it is about a media request to release info on the defense team's fees.

Jodi has testified to the DV, so there is already evidence of DV before the jury. Now, Jodi is a big old liar, of course, so the jury might choose to disbelieve her. And the expert is going to say (probably) that Jodi's behavior is consistent with that of a victim of DV, and that a reasonable victim of DV would have interpreted Travis's alleged "body slam" on June 4 as requiring a response with deadly force.

The reason for trying to prove this is that Arizona has a special self-defense law for victims of DV. If you are a victim of DV, your response to an attack is judged by how a reasonable victim of DV would react rather than how a reasonable "person" would react.

ONE BIG PROBLEM. JOSE, PLEASE READ THIS. :seeya: Jodi never SAID that she interpreted Travis's attack as requiring a response with deadly force. She said she never intended to shoot him at all, and thought the gun was unloaded! She believed that his actions justified a "scaring him off with a gun he would have known was unloaded" response, not a "shooting him in the head response."

So. If I were the prosecutor, I would object to her testifying to how a reasonable DV victim would respond since Jodi never claimed to have responded that way. Frankly, I would object to her testimony in its entirety as irrelevant, for the same reason.

BBM...

Who is Jose? ITA BTW and I hope JM points this out in closing arguments!!

BBM...

Who is Jose? ITA BTW and I hope JM points this out in closing arguments!!

:floorlaugh: hahaha I meant Juan--apparently Jose Baez has carved out a tiny piece of my brain and now his name will haunt me forever.

:floorlaugh: hahaha I meant Juan--apparently Jose Baez has carved out a tiny piece of my brain and now his name will haunt me forever.

:floorlaugh:

This trial is messing with everyones heads! Lol

My understanding is that the Travis parts were almost inaudible on the tape and they had to alter the tape to make them heard. So that might account for any distortion.
Thank you AZlawyer. I kind of get caught up "looking for new things" on JA, but I need to understand that if Mr. Martinez did not have a completely solid case against JA, he would not be prosecuting her. I am learning something new each day and it just fascinates me.

Is it true that the verdict will not be broadcast via the courtroom camera? Thanks.

Did the state have advance knowledge, before the trial, about the conversations between Samuels and Arias that took place when he was evaluating her? Specifically, would the defense have been obligated to show to the state Samuels' notes about what she had said to him, or did the notes remain confidential prior to his disclosure of them during testimony?

AZLawyer: when the six jurors are dismissed, will this be done in court or behind closed doors? Will our court observers know who's been kicked out? Thanks.

Did the state have advance knowledge, before the trial, about the conversations between Samuels and Arias that took place when he was evaluating her? Specifically, would the defense have been obligated to show to the state Samuels' notes about what she had said to him, or did the notes remain confidential prior to his disclosure of them during testimony?

The state had his file and notes. That's how Juan knew that JA had told Samuels , for example, that Travis had to cut the ropes off her. Remember when Juan kept asking JA "didn't you tell Dr. Samuels XYZ"?

AZLawyer: when the six jurors are dismissed, will this be done in court or behind closed doors? Will our court observers know who's been kicked out? Thanks.

Yes, this should be done in open court. Of course, this particular judge has done more things behind closed doors than I would ordinarily expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UncleGrump