Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that sometimes a witness is called more than one time (for example, Detective Flores during the prosecution's case). Can the defense call JA back to the stand after her experts have testified but before the defense rests?

There's now an order sealing all of the sidebars and a ruling that they will remain sealed until after the trial is concluded.

During the hearing that the attorney for the media was requesting access to the transcript for the closed hearing on 2/22 Nurmi objected to any of the records being released on the grounds that releasing those records will affect Jodi's appeal process.

It seems that Nurmi and this judge are inappropriately sealing transcripts in this trial. They also seem to be abusing the sidebar and in chambers to address issues that could legitimately be held in open court. Your thoughts attorneys? Could the media challenge some of these issues?

During the hearing that the attorney for the media was requesting access to the transcript for the closed hearing on 2/22 Nurmi objected to any of the records being released on the grounds that releasing those records will affect Jodi's appeal process.

It seems that Nurmi and this judge are inappropriately sealing transcripts in this trial. They also seem to be abusing the sidebar and in chambers to address issues that could legitimately be held in open court. Your thoughts attorneys? Could the media challenge some of these issues?

Yes, the media could challenge- and they have.

I completely AGREE 1000%!!! People need to BACK OFF of going to this trial and leave Mr. Martinez ALONE. This is becoming a Sideshow Circus and the Looky Loo's are causing he family and friends of Travis undo worry. The Dr. Drew Show needs to back off it's whole Juror thing, and people need to STOP giving interviews to get their 15 minutes of fame. Do people NOT realize by all this reporting it is AIDING THE DEFENSE!!! It has to stop! We can all see what's going on in the court when it's live streamed. We don't need any extra reporting, we the general public are only by standers who have NO stake in this case other than to see Justice Served on a murderer. The best way to support Travis's family is to donate to them directly. NOT make a scene by making problems at the trial itself. It's really is frustrating.

As much as I like katie being on dr drew, I think that dr drew is using her for ratings and the defense possibly has someone on her trail to find something to use.
Also maybe the defense is reading here what's posted about courtroom observations.?

On the subject of the dismissal of Jury #5, these are my Q's:

1. Do both defense and prosecution read the jury questions?

2. If so, does the question include which juror has the question?

Because Jury #5 has been apparently so actively listening and maybe also having many questions, if the attorneys know then what her questions are would that information then indicate which way the jurists are leaning?

Is it possible the defense is targeting certain jurists to get them off the jury based on their questions?

I love that there are jury questions, but hopefully they are submitted anonymously.

On the subject of the dismissal of Jury #5, these are my Q's:

1. Do both defense and prosecution read the jury questions?

2. If so, does the question include which juror has the question?

Because Jury #5 has been apparently so actively listening and maybe also having many questions, if the attorneys know then what her questions are would that information then indicate which way the jurists are leaning?

Is it possible the defense is targeting certain jurists to get them off the jury based on their questions?

I love that there are jury questions, but hopefully they are submitted anonymously.

There is virtually nothing in a trial that one side is privy to while the other isn't. So absolutely, both sides read the questions-you see them do this during trial- and they are anonymous. 100%.

I'd like to know this as well....:confused:

BUMP

Absolutely.

Ps. Can we keep general discussion and comments off this thread? I have a hard time locating actual observations on the insider thread, and I don't want something similar happening here! :please:

first is...how can all this discussion of this "expert" witness be allowed? isn't it all hearsay?

and second...is it normal for a witness to come down from the stand (twice) and dscuss things with the defense attorney?

Thank you in advance for your assistance....

PS GREAT SITE !!!

first is...how can all this discussion of this "expert" witness be allowed? isn't it all hearsay?

and second...is it normal for a witness to come down from the stand (twice) and dscuss things with the defense attorney?

Thank you in advance for your assistance....

PS GREAT SITE !!!

Experts are allowed to rely on hearsay and can generally describe what they relied on.

No, it is not normal for a witness to come down from the stand to talk to an attorney. I'll take your word for that--I didn't have a chance to catch up today. :)

I have noticed that sometimes a witness is called more than one time (for example, Detective Flores during the prosecution's case). Can the defense call JA back to the stand after her experts have testified but before the defense rests?

Yes, this would be unusual but it happens.

Hypothetical question:
When a mistrial is declared and a new trial starts, if the person on trial has different answers to critical questions (version 4.0) asked in the orginal trial, can the prosecutor point this out in the new prosecution? Is the first trial completely wiped out as it never happened? Will the new jurors hear anything about the first trial?

Yes, the prosecutor could use the old testimony to impeach the defendant in the second trial.

I watched a small clip of Jodi's parents interrogation video on HLN today. In the clip Jodi's own Dad calls her strange, and her Mother says she has mental issues, and her friends have called her in the night saying Jodi needs help. I would imagine this is important evidence for the prosecutions case, so why has it not been presented in court? Is there a possibility of it coming up or being presented?

Will the judge allow the use of the questions Juror No. 5 may have already placed in the basket for ALV or will they even be able to determine which questions are hers?

At times when JM is questioning someone and the witness tries to give a longer answer and JM cuts off the witness, the DT will object and say the witness hasn't finished their answer, and the judge sustains. Why is that a valid objection? Shouldn't the answer be limited by what the attorney asking wants to be answered? If not, why not just let the witness sit there without an attorney and expound on whatever they want? If he wants a yes or no (or "I can't say"), why allow extra verbiage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mutations