Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I already said I understand what you're saying. RS already said he may have found that she had one but didn't explore it. If the state's witness also found this through testing and did explore it, she wouldn't talk about it because it isn't relevant to the defense's findings. That was my understanding of your question of how it would be relevant. I thought any diagnosis she made would be relevant, especially a personality disorder (psychopath) since they can tend to be remorseless killers. If I am wrong, you can simply let me know. I am not a lawyer. That's why I'm asking you.

My last question was really just so my response wouldn't be deleted. If the word behavior offends you, I won't use it anymore.

It doesn't offend me. It just makes it really difficult to answer, because I try to maintain a level of professionalism. :)

I was asking how the diagnosis might be relevant so I could understand your question. The state would be allowed to introduce a mental disorder diagnosis if it were relevant to the case. IMO, however, there is no way an expert would be allowed to testify that people who score X on a certain test are more likely to be remorseless killers.

It doesn't offend me. It just makes it really difficult to answer, because I try to maintain a level of professionalism. :)

I was asking how the diagnosis might be relevant so I could understand your question. The state would be allowed to introduce a mental disorder diagnosis if it were relevant to the case. IMO, however, there is no way an expert would be allowed to testify that people who score X on a certain test are more likely to be remorseless killers.

Thanks so much for answering. I guess it wouldn't be relevant to their case. I understand now.

Thank you to all the lawyers. I have been reading here for a long time before taking the plunge and joining in. I have a lot of respect for you guys and this thread is always the first one I go to!

My question is this. If ALV has had to cancel speaking engagements because of public outcry, and she were to get on the stand and do a 180, would that be grounds for the DT to argue for a mistrial since public outcry therefore influenced her testimony? Especially if ALV said that it did have an impact on her thoughts?

Can you please clarify what exactly Jodi is charged with? I've heard there is a difference between 1st degree felony murder and 1st degree premeditated murder.

I've been assuming this is one/same charge but the jury can find her guilty either way. Is this allowed up front? Does this come with the instructions?

Thanks very much!!

If she has a diagnosis, it would have to be relevant. The PTSD diagnosis is relevant to whether the "fog" is real. Of what relevance would a personality disorder diagnosis be?

Your other question is much harder. My short answer is "yes." My longer answer is that I wish the personal styles of the attorneys would not be called "behavior." I wouldn't personally adopt her style--I don't think it's effective.

In the last two days of trial there were several episodes, seemed like 10+ minutes each, with Willmott before Judge Stephens getting "schooled" imo on rules re questioning a witness. Willmott returned to the podium obviously frustrated, flipping her notes back and forth as if hoping to find Plan B since Plan A wasn't allowed. She stammered as she made several false starts trying to formulate questions that would pass muster. I wondered what lesson the watching jurors may have taken from her "behavior," because it certainly spoke to me.

Thank you kindly to all the lawyers who take the time to answer questions. You guys/gals are the greatest.

My question is about rebuttal. I have read that JM is not allowed to just bolster or retell his case in chief. Since they must disclose evidence, I assume that the DT would have already tried to cover ,in advance, all points they think JM will raise in rebuttal. I also assume JM is not allowed to suddenly present new evidence, so the rebuttal is just to clarify some points? Is his rebuttal restricted to answering just what the defense presented?

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered!

As the DT has put forth that JA has PTSD and during the murder had some sort of fognesia, does that open the door for the prosecution to delve into her overal mental health before her arrest? TIA

What is the significance of the ME's testimony that the shot was last? The Defense did not bring in a ME of their own to dispute the state's ME claim on the shot so how can they counter that testimony. They have only the testimony of the accused. Is there anything they can do to mitigate the seemingly slam dunk that their client is lying based on the forensic evidence?

Under what circumstances would the DA be in chambers with the judge at the exclusion of the State?

When and how are the jury instructions decided?

Thanks!:seeya:

There were likely one or more briefs/conferences about this before trial, resulting in a draft set of jury instructions. There will be a final conference between the lawyers and the judge just before deliberations to make sure that the jury instructions make sense in light of the evidence that was actually presented.

Thank you to all the lawyers. I have been reading here for a long time before taking the plunge and joining in. I have a lot of respect for you guys and this thread is always the first one I go to!

My question is this. If ALV has had to cancel speaking engagements because of public outcry, and she were to get on the stand and do a 180, would that be grounds for the DT to argue for a mistrial since public outcry therefore influenced her testimony? Especially if ALV said that it did have an impact on her thoughts?

She will not do a 180 on the stand (unless you count being "flipped" by JM in cross!). First of all, that would be career suicide for a professional expert witness. IMO her speaking gigs are just a side job and not as important to her as the expert witness gigs. Second, if she were to decide not to continue, she would tell the DT and yes, there would be a mistrial IMO. As I said, not gonna happen. She will see this through.

Can you please clarify what exactly Jodi is charged with? I've heard there is a difference between 1st degree felony murder and 1st degree premeditated murder.

I've been assuming this is one/same charge but the jury can find her guilty either way. Is this allowed up front? Does this come with the instructions?

Thanks very much!!

It is one charge. The jury can find her guilty using either "path," and will be told this in the instructions.

In the last two days of trial there were several episodes, seemed like 10+ minutes each, with Willmott before Judge Stephens getting "schooled" imo on rules re questioning a witness. Willmott returned to the podium obviously frustrated, flipping her notes back and forth as if hoping to find Plan B since Plan A wasn't allowed. She stammered as she made several false starts trying to formulate questions that would pass muster. I wondered what lesson the watching jurors may have taken from her "behavior," because it certainly spoke to me.

This happens very, very often in court. Lawyers come up with a plan for questioning, fail to see the flaw, and have no plan B. I'm sure the jurors notice these things, but I hope they would not take them into consideration when trying to decide, e.g., whether or not Jodi premeditated her killing of Travis.

Thank you kindly to all the lawyers who take the time to answer questions. You guys/gals are the greatest.

My question is about rebuttal. I have read that JM is not allowed to just bolster or retell his case in chief. Since they must disclose evidence, I assume that the DT would have already tried to cover ,in advance, all points they think JM will raise in rebuttal. I also assume JM is not allowed to suddenly present new evidence, so the rebuttal is just to clarify some points? Is his rebuttal restricted to answering just what the defense presented?

Rebuttal is restricted to responding to evidence presented by the defense. That doesn't mean it can't include "new evidence," though. For example, if Jodi told some lie on the stand, JM can present evidence to show that it was a lie. He couldn't present that evidence in his case in chief, because she hadn't lied yet. ;)

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered!

As the DT has put forth that JA has PTSD and during the murder had some sort of fognesia, does that open the door for the prosecution to delve into her overal mental health before her arrest? TIA

No, unless her "overall mental health" can somehow be made relevant to the case. And, frankly, I can't imagine why the prosecution would want to do this. Juries tend not to convict people of 1st-degree murder if they think they have some kind of mental disorder.

What is the significance of the ME's testimony that the shot was last? The Defense did not bring in a ME of their own to dispute the state's ME claim on the shot so how can they counter that testimony. They have only the testimony of the accused. Is there anything they can do to mitigate the seemingly slam dunk that their client is lying based on the forensic evidence?

The significance of the testimony that the gunshot was last is, IMO, primarily that this testimony conflicts with Jodi's testimony. As you said, this conflict makes her whole story suspect.

The testimony of the accused is evidence, so they have already countered the ME's testimony in that regard. One is eyewitness testimony (but of a liar), the other is second-hand testimony impaired by decomposition of the evidence (but of a non-liar). The jury will have to balance those things.

IMO, other than making Jodi look like even more of a liar, the "gunshot last" vs. "gunshot first" debate is not too important. If the gunshot had been first and had completely incapacitated Travis, then there would be no way to argue for the death penalty. But the blood evidence and defensive wounds on Travis's hands show that, even if he was shot first, he was still moving around and fighting for his life after that.

I used to wonder why the defense team hadn't found someone to argue "gunshot first." I recently had the opportunity to speak with a neurosurgeon who respectfully disagreed with the ME's opinion in that regard, for example. Why couldn't the defense team have found someone like that? :waitasec: Then I realized that the problem would have been when that person was cross-examined by JM: "OK, so let's assume you're right and Travis could have maintained or regained consciousness for a short time after the gunshot. Would he have been able to curse at Jodi in complete sentences? Would he have been able to lunge at her like a linebacker? Would he have been any kind of threat to her at all? Or are you just talking about the kind of consciousness where he might be able to moan and crawl around on his hands and knees for a few seconds?" IMO any expert competent to present the "gunshot first" theory would also have to admit that there would have been no linebacker-lunges or kill-you-b****-curses going on after that.

Under what circumstances would the DA be in chambers with the judge at the exclusion of the State?

There are a few possibilities. Knowing the context of when this happened would help. :) But a couple are: defense counsel having an ethical dilemma that can't be disclosed to the state without revealing client confidences, and the judge wanting to talk to defense counsel privately about an issue of behavior of defense counsel, client or witnesses. (In either situation, the judge would probably have informed JM that she planned to do that, asked if that was OK with him, and had a court reporter present to record the private meeting.)

Looks like Juan is trying to impeach (I think that's the right word), what happens to ALV if he does?

Does all her testimony get thrown out?

I think the evidence is sufficient to convict her of 1st-degree murder. But I will not be stunned if she is convicted of a lesser-included offense.
Thank you for the feedback -- much appreciated.

However, if what I read on a different WS thread a short time ago is accurate, a lesser-included offense instruction seems unlikely. This took me totally by surprise.

Your thoughts?

Posted by rose222.

This is addressed in the State v. Andriano, STATE of Arizona, Appellee, v. Wendi Elizabeth ANDRIANO, Appellant.

"We held in State v. Celaya that “where the sole defense is self-defense so that the evidence requires either conviction or acquittal, any instruction on any other grade would be impermissible.”  135 Ariz. 248, 255, 660 P.2d 849, 856 (1983);  see also State v. Wall, 212 Ariz. 1, 6, ¶ 29, 126 P.3d 148, 153 (2006) (noting that when defendant asserts an “all-or-nothing” defense, the record usually will not support the giving of a lesser-included offense instruction);  State v. Jones, 109 Ariz. 80, 81-82, 505 P.2d 251, 252-53 (1973) (holding that lesser-included offense instructions were not required where evidence at trial and defendant's self-defense theory presented an “either-or” situation requiring either first degree murder conviction or acquittal)."

Some judges stand for the jury, others don't, is it personal preference or some rule?

Thank you for the feedback -- much appreciated.

However, if what I read on a different WS thread a short time ago is accurate, a lesser-included offense instruction seems unlikely. This took me totally by surprise.

Your thoughts?

Posted by rose222.

This is addressed in the State v. Andriano, STATE of Arizona, Appellee, v. Wendi Elizabeth ANDRIANO, Appellant.

"We held in State v. Celaya that “where the sole defense is self-defense so that the evidence requires either conviction or acquittal, any instruction on any other grade would be impermissible.”  135 Ariz. 248, 255, 660 P.2d 849, 856 (1983);  see also State v. Wall, 212 Ariz. 1, 6, ¶ 29, 126 P.3d 148, 153 (2006) (noting that when defendant asserts an “all-or-nothing” defense, the record usually will not support the giving of a lesser-included offense instruction);  State v. Jones, 109 Ariz. 80, 81-82, 505 P.2d 251, 252-53 (1973) (holding that lesser-included offense instructions were not required where evidence at trial and defendant's self-defense theory presented an “either-or” situation requiring either first degree murder conviction or acquittal)."

Whether or not lesser-included offense instructions are given depends on the evidence. Many or perhaps even MOST self-defense cases wouldn't justify such instructions. Here, however, the defense has really NOT been "He attacked Jodi and she killed him in self-defense," although that was Jodi's first sentence of testimony. The actual theme of the defense has been "He attacked Jodi and she pointed a gun she thought was unloaded at him in hopes of stopping him but with no intent whatsoever of shooting him, and then she accidentally shot him, and then he attacked her again for shooting him, and then she went into a fog during which she presumably stabbed him quite a lot and slit his throat and who knows what he was doing at that time."

IMO that set of crazy mixed-up "facts" opens the door to every possible lesser-included offense instruction.

Some judges stand for the jury, others don't, is it personal preference or some rule?

Personal preference.

OMG!!

Would someone please explain why there are sooooooo many "approach" sidebars in this trial. It is like one step forward two steps back.

What are these discussions used for????

:banghead:

Thanks RUK

OMG!!

Would someone please explain why there are sooooooo many "approach" sidebars in this trial. It is like one step forward two steps back.

What are these discussions used for????

:banghead:

Thanks RUK

They are used to discuss things that cannot be discussed in front of the jury. For example, if your objection to evidence is that it would cause a mistrial for the jury to hear XYZ, then you can't very well say that in front of the jury.

They are used to discuss things that cannot be discussed in front of the jury. For example, if your objection to evidence is that it would cause a mistrial for the jury to hear XYZ, then you can't very well say that in front of the jury.

Thanks, Az!

So then each time Wilmont jumps up and objects, the reason they approach is she is arguing that the line of questioning by the state may bring in prejudicial evidence that might cause a mistrial if the jury were to hear it?

>>>>>>and is the reason there are so many is because the DT is just aching to get that mistrial--therefore Judge has to put up with the "Jack-in-a-Box" responses by Wilmont?

There must be an abundance of info that has to be kept out--I have never see anything like this--You?

Is it unusual for the lead Detective to attend every/all day for a murder trial? T.I.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drumgirl29