Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AZLawyer, Gitana, and Minor4th :rose: :rose: :rose:

Thank you so much for all of your hard work throughout this case.

I stopped here to read every night before bed through this case. All of you answered the questions so thoroughly that I never had to post questions of my own. I appreciate all of you for making this trial easier to follow. I learned so much!

Thank you for the hard work, time and energy you devoted to all of us here.

Thank you :)

Some questions for our wonderful lawyers

1) as a convicted felon, how in the heck did FJA, still in the court house, under the Judges rule, was ALLOWED to give interviews? Of course she was happy still in street clothes etc...

2) did convicted FJA get paid for these interviews? Whether she signed an agreement before or after....it is wrong....and the signing of the papers would have had to go through her lawyers or the jail house would have seen them first. So possible her lawyers knew about the interview.....

3) can she be prevents from getting any monies now?

It appears that some laws need to be changed in regards to what happened. FJA is ruling, not the law...this probably what the big fight was about after court finished and it was reported FJA and her lawyers fought.

Thank you for your answers again...I wish we could throw a nice dinner party for all of you, send you on a cruise, but that will have to be a dream and accept our biggest thanks.

Regarding the statement Jodi Arias made in her interview w/Fox News immediately following her conviction yesterday, my question is this: If, in fact, Arias continues to request that she receive the death penalty, is it possible she'll get her wish? I've been thinking about the Aileen Wuornos case in Florida, where she finally petitioned the Florida Supreme Court and told them she no longer wanted any more appeals filed on her behalf; that she killed those men in cold blood, would do it again, etc. etc. Anyhow, Jeb Bush had her evaluated by 3 psychiatrists, who determined she was of sound mind & knew that she'd be executed, and in short order, they DID execute her! Could this possibly happen to Jodi Arias if she petitions for early execution?!?

Hello. I am finding it downright crazy that Jodi, just convicted on Murder One, can be allowed to be all dressed up with makeup and give a tv interview ! That sounds downright nuts ! Is that AZ court policy? It absolutely makes no sense, EXCEPT that the pros' might want to pull strings to let it happen, to let Jodi hang herself with her own words. Even then, though, it still doesn't make sense, because my understanding is that someone just convicted of Murder One is at a super high risk of attempting suicide, so the last thing any Dept. of Corrections officials would decide to do is to let the person give a tv interview !What in the world in going on in those Arizona Courts ??? ty

can anyone tell me what this means?

MFD - Motion For Discovery - Party (001) 5/8/2013
NOTE: DEFENDANT’S MOTION FOR DISCOVERY OF VICTIM IMPACT EVIDENCE

why are the defense trying to have the families victim impact statements before this phase in the trial. As the family of the victim, why should jodi be allowed to see what they'll say before they give impact statementS? Is this normal and will JSS, grant this motion?

I have a question about what Jodi said about wanting the death penalty. If she claims that is what she wants does she still automatically get the appeals or can they say No Appeals per the Defendants wishes??

Hello. I am finding it downright crazy that Jodi, just convicted on Murder One, can be allowed to be all dressed up with makeup and give a tv interview ! That sounds downright nuts ! Is that AZ court policy? It absolutely makes no sense, EXCEPT that the pros' might want to pull strings to let it happen, to let Jodi hang herself with her own words. Even then, though, it still doesn't make sense, because my understanding is that someone just convicted of Murder One is at a super high risk of attempting suicide, so the last thing any Dept. of Corrections officials would decide to do is to let the person give a tv interview !What in the world in going on in those Arizona Courts ??? ty

I don't think it's different in Arizona than anywhere else, and to me it doesn't seem nuts. :) Also, giving a TV interview is a pretty low-risk time for a suicide attempt. I don't think she was put on suicide watch until after she said in the interview that death would be the ultimate freedom, anyway.

Regarding the statement Jodi Arias made in her interview w/Fox News immediately following her conviction yesterday, my question is this: If, in fact, Arias continues to request that she receive the death penalty, is it possible she'll get her wish? I've been thinking about the Aileen Wuornos case in Florida, where she finally petitioned the Florida Supreme Court and told them she no longer wanted any more appeals filed on her behalf; that she killed those men in cold blood, would do it again, etc. etc. Anyhow, Jeb Bush had her evaluated by 3 psychiatrists, who determined she was of sound mind & knew that she'd be executed, and in short order, they DID execute her! Could this possibly happen to Jodi Arias if she petitions for early execution?!?

JA has not "requested" that she receive the death penalty; she has just said informally to a reporter that she would rather receive it. However, yes, she can fight the issue if she wants to.

Some questions for our wonderful lawyers

1) as a convicted felon, how in the heck did FJA, still in the court house, under the Judges rule, was ALLOWED to give interviews? Of course she was happy still in street clothes etc...

2) did convicted FJA get paid for these interviews? Whether she signed an agreement before or after....it is wrong....and the signing of the papers would have had to go through her lawyers or the jail house would have seen them first. So possible her lawyers knew about the interview.....

3) can she be prevents from getting any monies now?

It appears that some laws need to be changed in regards to what happened. FJA is ruling, not the law...this probably what the big fight was about after court finished and it was reported FJA and her lawyers fought.

Thank you for your answers again...I wish we could throw a nice dinner party for all of you, send you on a cruise, but that will have to be a dream and accept our biggest thanks.

1) Convicted felons are not barred from giving interviews. I honestly don't know why everyone seems to have this idea.

2) She did not get paid for the interview IMO. Fox10 doesn't have the budget for it lol. :) IMO she is just extremely narcissistic and thinks everyone deserves to hear her speak. Also, I have no doubt her lawyers knew about the interview and opposed it.

3) No.

Why should the laws be changed? JA isn't "ruling" anything--she's just talking. No one has to listen to her speak. I just honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I hope you don't mind answering a couple of further questions on the appeal process. I was looking at a Web site of an Arizona Criminal Appeals Attorney and it explains that the various levels of appeals are Superior Court, Arizona State Appellate Court, Arizona Supreme Court, The Ninth Circuit Court, and finally the United States Supreme Court.

So my questions are:

1) At each level is another court case involved or is there just a review of the documents and/or proceedings of the original court case and it's proceedings?

2) Will Jodi only get one shot at each level or can she make repeated appeals at each level?

3) In a similar vein, should her appeal be granted at whatever level, can the state then appeal the granting of her appeal?

4) Who, for the State, would be in charge of the State's side of the appeal, i.e., does Maricopa County pass control of the case onto a higher (prosecuting) authority. (I'm assuming here that JM would not be the attornery to be responsible for representing the State at each new level.)

5) You said the State pays for Jodi's appeal - does this apply at each level or will there come a time when she must foot the bill for further appeals?

I'm 65 so chances are pretty good that I will not be alive when she is actually executed (obviously I am hoping for the DP) - I'm just trying to figure out how long I must hang around to feel rather confident on my way out that the ultimate justice for Travis Alexander will be served.

1) There is no new trial in each court, if that's what you mean--just a review of the record.

2) There has been some streamlining, I believe, since last time I was involved in a death penalty case. My understanding is that the goal is now one appeal at each level--not sure if that goal has been accomplished in practice.

3) Yes, the state can appeal any granted appeal for Jodi, but the US Supreme Court is not required to take any appeal, so they would hear it only if the issue were a "big deal" constitutional issue.

4) The prosecutor on appeal would be whomever is assigned. If they have appellate attorneys in that office who focus on appellate issues rather than trial practice, they will probably assign the case to a couple of those attorneys. Not because they are "higher" than JM--just because the skills to handle an appeal are different from the skills to handle a trial.

5) The state will pay for all the appeals if she remains indigent.

Now that JA is found guilty does her right to twitter and/or interviews STOP?

No.

I wanted to ask if evidence too prejudicial before can now be presented and does the jury have to be unanimous in their rulings for the next phases ?

Just to make sure you understand, evidence is never never never excluded just because it makes the defendant look too guilty. That's not what "prejudicial" means. So nothing was excluded for that reason.

If something was excluded because it really had nothing to do with the case issues and might make the jury think badly about Jodi for some OTHER reason having nothing to do with the case, then it will probably continue to be excluded. This makes sense, right? Why should evidence like that be admitted?

Yes, the jury has to be unanimous at every phase.

I've read that defendants in criminal trials who testify in their own defense, including ones who are innocent, are more likely to be convicted of the highest charge and sentenced to the most severe punishment. In some states I believe defendants must acknowledge their awareness of the risks involved to the judge before they are allowed to testify in order to eliminate that as an appeal issue later. Does Arizona have such a requirement or can Jodi now claim she did not receive adequate warning from her lawyers?

I'm not sure if she would have had to acknowledge the risks in writing, but she likely had to make assurances to the judge on the record. Sometimes, though, even when defendants get all the right warnings they still claim the warnings were inadequate. But anyone can claim anything--it doesn't mean they'll win. ;)

During either the aggravation phase or the penalty phase, can the prosecution present evidence that was considered too prejudicial and not admitted during the guilt phase? For example, can Juan have someone from law enforcement tell the jury that Jodi had a 9mm gun, bullets, and knives in her car when she was arrested?

See above re: prejudicial evidence. I'm sure, if that information is true and was excluded, that it was excluded because it has no tendency to prove that Jodi killed Travis intentionally or with premeditation or not in self-defense. In other words, it is irrelevant. And if the judge found that it had some slight relevance but any such relevance would be outweighed by the risk that a jury would draw some other irrelevant conclusion from it (i.e., that it was "prejudicial"), then apparently she was right, because many WS'ers seem to think it is important evidence, so there is a risk that a jury would think the same thing. But really, what does it prove?

The state certainly can't raise this information in the aggravation phase, because it has nothing to do with the sole aggravation issue (cruelty).

In the mitigation phase, if Jodi were to say, e.g., that she was so traumatized by killing Travis that she would never again touch a knife or a gun, then JM could bring this in to rebut that mitigation evidence. :)

Hope this makes sense. Jodi wrote a letter to the Judge asking for Nurmi to remain on her case when he wanted off. Stating that he knew the case, and they connected with one another. But then Nurmi filed the motion for ineffective council. Is there some clause in this? I believe Jodi had to sign this document as well. Can they use this if she claims ineffective council? Hope this question makes sense.

There has been no motion for a finding of ineffective counsel filed. Such a motion would not be filed BY the supposedly ineffective counsel. So I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I have never seen a defendant remain seated along with their defense council while a verdict was being rendered.

The judge did not tell the defendant to rise/stand while the verdict was being read, anyone know why? TIA

Good question. I noticed when the judge said "please be seated," Jennifer Willmot remained standing for a couple of seconds, as if she was confused by that also.

When JA gets the death penalty, can she waive all automatic appeals and take the fast track to an execution date?

She can try, anyway. Her attorneys/family will likely try to fight her on that issue.

Hallo AzLawyer! I have a question and I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask lol: can Jodi waive her rights to beg the jury for her life? She said in an interview on FOX that she'd rather get the Death Penalty than LWOP. Can she somehow choose not to defend herself against the cruelty aggravating factor?

See above. :)

Hi there,
Jodi is giving an interview to our local news station that will be airing in minutes. My question is, can what she says in the interview be used in any of the phases going forward?

Yes, if she says something relevant.

Sorry AZ--a few MORE questions

1) Can the defense team bow out now that she has stated she would rather have the DP than LWP? How does one defend that?

2) Can the jury be excused from their responsibilities and a new jury brought in for the aggravation phase. .....Or at least some be excused and replaced with the alternates due to time hardships?

TIA

Sorry AZ--a few MORE questions

1) Can the defense team bow out now that she has stated she would rather have the DP than LWP? How does one defend that?

2) Can the jury be excused from their responsibilities and a new jury brought in for the aggravation phase. .....Or at least some be excused and replaced with the alternates due to time hardships?

TIA

1) They will stay on to try to convince the judge that she's lost her marbles on this issue.

2) No, they can't be excused just because it's taking a long time.

1) They will stay on to try to convince the judge that she's lost her marbles on this issue.

2) No, they can't be excused just because it's taking a long time.

dear AZ. ok, let's say she wants to just forego this phase. let's say she wants the DP. so now both sides have her seen by shrinks? and then if the DT's expert says she's not competent, and the PT's expert says she is, we have a hearing and the judge decides?

is that right?

and all without the jury?

thak you az atty - i just have one more question, if jodi agrees to DP and waives all the appeals and it is accepted, later on down the line can she change her mind and try to get the apeals process restarted?

I guess it's normal that the defense team studies every exhibit handed them like they're seeing it for the first time even if they've had a copy of it in their possession for years, but I was wondering which times if any you thought they were REALLY caught off-guard. I thought there were two: the coded magazine messages and the SLC gas receipt which seemed to prove she still had the third gas can after the murder.

I have followed you for many years! AZ you are fabulous!

I want to thank all of our lawyers here!

I would like to ask all of the lawyers on this thread... which cases will you be here on Websleuths following next?

The next 1 I will be following is not Trayvon, it will be Andrea Sneiderman as I live two miles from her and went to some of the preliminaries.

and, how do I say this kindly, the lawyers on that thread right now... I would like to have you guys! all of you I believe have been lawyers playing The Straight Road vs doing one side to another. And not trying to inflame at all! I love all the lawyers on this thread and with this type of lawyer were on others!

Again ...will any of you guys be following the Trayvon case .. which I am NOT, or the Andrea Sneiderman case which I will as it is local?

And for joypath please do a shout out if you are following any case as I want to follow you as always! I love joypAth ..

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Yes thanks to all the lawyers on this - you all are a breath of sanity and clarity amidst all the sound and fury sometimes.

My question: what would happen if Jodi tried to fire her attorneys at this stage? Would the court even allow it? Or would there have to be a hold put on the proceedings while other attorneys were found.

And what, if any, is the difference between an "attorney" and a "lawyer"?

Cheers!

dear AZ. ok, let's say she wants to just forego this phase. let's say she wants the DP. so now both sides have her seen by shrinks? and then if the DT's expert says she's not competent, and the PT's expert says she is, we have a hearing and the judge decides?

is that right?

and all without the jury?

I believe the court can just assign one competency examiner. The jury would not be privy to any of this, as it would be irrelevant to any decision the jury would be asked to make.

thak you az atty - i just have one more question, if jodi agrees to DP and waives all the appeals and it is accepted, later on down the line can she change her mind and try to get the apeals process restarted?

She can't waive the automatic appeal to the AZ Supreme Court. Also, she can't waive the requirement for the state to prove to the jury that an aggravating circumstance exists, or the option of the state to present evidence rebutting any mitigation evidence that has come up during the guilt phase.

I guess it's normal that the defense team studies every exhibit handed them like they're seeing it for the first time even if they've had a copy of it in their possession for years, but I was wondering which times if any you thought they were REALLY caught off-guard. I thought there were two: the coded magazine messages and the SLC gas receipt which seemed to prove she still had the third gas can after the murder.

Yes, I thought they seemed surprised by those as well.

I have followed you for many years! AZ you are fabulous!

I want to thank all of our lawyers here!

I would like to ask all of the lawyers on this thread... which cases will you be here on Websleuths following next?

The next 1 I will be following is not Trayvon, it will be Andrea Sneiderman as I live two miles from her and went to some of the preliminaries.

and, how do I say this kindly, the lawyers on that thread right now... I would like to have you guys! all of you I believe have been lawyers playing The Straight Road vs doing one side to another. And not trying to inflame at all! I love all the lawyers on this thread and with this type of lawyer were on others!

Again ...will any of you guys be following the Trayvon case .. which I am NOT, or the Andrea Sneiderman case which I will as it is local?

And for joypath please do a shout out if you are following any case as I want to follow you as always! I love joypAth ..

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

The only 2 cases I have followed ever have been Caylee's case and this one (and this one not as much lol). So I can't say for sure what will catch my attention in the future. :)

Yes thanks to all the lawyers on this - you all are a breath of sanity and clarity amidst all the sound and fury sometimes.

My question: what would happen if Jodi tried to fire her attorneys at this stage? Would the court even allow it? Or would there have to be a hold put on the proceedings while other attorneys were found.

And what, if any, is the difference between an "attorney" and a "lawyer"?

Cheers!

At this stage, with a jury impaneled and only 3 alternates remaining, IMO the judge would at most allow Jodi to represent herself for the sentencing phase (if competent--which leads us back to the possibility that she's now being examined for competency) but would require her to keep her counsel on as "advisory counsel" in case she needs assistance.

No difference between "attorney" and "lawyer." :)

Hey AZ! A couple (or a few if they come to me as I write) questions:

1. What happens after the aggravation phase if the jury finds aggravating factors? Does the family make victim impact statements in this phase?

2. What is the difference between cruel and heinous?

3. What if, for whatever reason, Jodi is found incompetent at this stage? How would that affect the proceedings moving forward? Do you think the delay today was due to an evaluation?

4. What happens in the mitigation phase?

5. Will the 3 alternates be sitting in the jury box again during the proceedings?

6. Apparently KDDJ and KCL have been told not to speak to the media. I don't know if that means indefinitely or just regarding the hearing today. Do you have any idea why this could be? Are the lawyers possibly arguing the media tainted the jury?

Thanks so much. You rock!:rockon:

Hey AZ! A couple (or a few if they come to me as I write) questions:

1. What happens after the aggravation phase if the jury finds aggravating factors? Does the family make victim impact statements in this phase?

2. What is the difference between cruel and heinous?

3. What if, for whatever reason, Jodi is found incompetent at this stage? How would that affect the proceedings moving forward? Do you think the delay today was due to an evaluation?

4. What happens in the mitigation phase?

5. Will the 3 alternates be sitting in the jury box again during the proceedings?

6. Apparently KDDJ and KCL have been told not to speak to the media. I don't know if that means indefinitely or just regarding the hearing today. Do you have any idea why this could be? Are the lawyers possibly arguing the media tainted the jury?

Thanks so much. You rock!:rockon:

1. No, victim impact statements are made in the mitigation stage--theoretically as rebuttal to mitigation evidence.

2. There is a ton of case law on "cruel" and "heinous." Basically, cruelty focuses on the victim's mental and physical suffering and whether the defendant should have known he would suffer. Heinousness--WHICH IS NO LONGER AT ISSUE IN THIS CASE--is much harder to describe but involves the defendant "relishing" the murder or inflicting excessive damage after the defendant should have known the victim was dead.

3. I do think the delay was due to an evaluation--either because JA wants to waive the right to present mitigation or because she wants to fire her lawyers. IMO there is little to no chance that she is being evaluated just for competency to proceed with the sentencing phase, but I suppose there is some possibility of that. If she is found incompetent to waive mitigation, then the mitigating evidence will be presented. If she is found incompetent to waive counsel, then her counsel will continue to represent her. If she is found incompetent to continue with the sentencing phase, there will be a delay to make her competent, and chances are pretty high that there will have to be a new jury for that phase by the time she's ready to proceed.

4. The mitigation phase will involve the presentation of everything possible good about Jodi that anyone can think of, and the state's rebuttal of that evidence (including victim impact statements).

5. Yes, the 3 alternates should be back for mitigation evidence. Actually, come to think of it, they should have been there for the aggravation phase as well. Were they not there today??

6. I suspect that, if KDDJ and KCL were told not to speak to the media, then the entire courtroom was told the same--but I can't imagine what the reason might be.

The polling of the jury yesterday made me wonder--

Has it ever happened that, when asked "is this your true verdict?" a juror said "No"? What would happen in such a circumstance? Mistrial? Was is the purpose in pulling the jurors?

Very curious. Thanks in advance! :seeya:

The polling of the jury yesterday made me wonder--

Has it ever happened that, when asked "is this your true verdict?" a juror said "No"? What would happen in such a circumstance? Mistrial? Was is the purpose in pulling the jurors?

Very curious. Thanks in advance! :seeya:

Yes, it has happened, and that's the purpose. :) I believe the jury would just be sent back for further deliberations, though, after further clarifying instructions from the judge.

ETA: Before this was done regularly, what would sometimes happen is that a juror would contact the defense counsel a week or a month or a year down the line and say, "I was bullied into pretending that I agreed with the others, but that wasn't my true verdict." So the idea is to find out right away while there's still time to fix the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mutations