Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those WHAT DO YOU THINK questions.

What do you think JSS would do, if anything, if ja gets up and starts saying the things to the jury that she said on the TV interview ie: my DT wouldn't present evidence such as a picture I had of Travis chasing a child, pictures proving my sister and I were in the desert the day of her grandparents house break in...or any other fantasy like that. OR if she started trashing Travis again with accusations of abuse. Or the jury only convicted her because they felt sympathy for Travis' family. TIA

Hi again...couple of questions:

I was wondering when JA was initially charged with aggrivating factors in the 1st degree indictment, how/why were heinous and depraved "ruled out?" I'm sure I'm not using the right language, but I hope you get what I mean :)

2) with regard to the jury deliberating on the DP, and the fact that if they are hung a new jury will be impaneled in the attempt to reach a unanimous verdict for the DP. Are the jurors instructed about what happens if they can't agree on the DP? If not, I would wonder if they might be less concerned, believing that then the "judge will handle it."

Thank you in advance :)

I believe "heinous or depraved" was kicked out on a motion filed by the defense. I'm sure the reason the motion was granted is because there was not enough evidence for the jury to find beyond a reasonable doubt that Jodi relished the murder, mutilated the corpse (inflicted wounds after death), etc. (I can't recall all the options, but those are the main ones.)

I don't believe the new jury would be told up front, but if they asked a question (e.g., "If we can't agree, can the judge still sentence her to death?") IMO the judge would answer it (no).

The concept of premeditated versus felony murder confuses me in this case. I read that 5 of the jurors found JA guilty of premeditated murder, whereas 7 found her guilty of both premeditated and felony murder........how could the murder not be a felony if it was premeditated? doesn't one imply the other? very confusing to me. Thank you for insights and sharing your knowledge

All murders are felonies, yes. But "felony murder" doesn't mean "a murder that's a felony," it means "a murder committed in the process of or in furtherance of a different felony." In this case, the other felony alleged was second-degree burglary.

I know this has been asked a few times, but I'm still confused...

if the jury does lwop instead of the death penalty, what does that mean for Jodi's sentence...I mean does that literally mean she spends THE REST OF HER LIFE in prison with no parole, or does that mean that the judge can say how many years without parole in prison...for example can JSS say her sentence is 30 years in prison without parole? And then she would be eligible for parole after those 30 years? Or then she would be released (after 30 years)?

TIA!

The jury decides life vs. death. If the jury decides for life, or is a hung jury, then the judge decides LWOP vs. 25-to-life (parole possible but certainly not automatic after 25 years).

To any legal eagle.....I posted something in regards to this on another thread...but here goes. Darryle Brewer at one point on the witness stand stated that JA had a good relationship with his son but at another time stated that she only kept or watched him only two times throughout their four year relationship. If he testifies that she was a good caretaker for his son can't JM bring up that fact and ask him questions about why she was only able to watch him two times over that four year period. Doesn't that say something about how cautious he was and that maybe he also was aware of her BPD and protected his son at all costs.

Oh, sure, JM could ask, but IMO Darryl B is in "protective mode" and is unlikely to be forthcoming about any concerns he might have had.

Not if shes sitting on death row. They said the other night that death row prisoners do not get a TV. They get a sparse cell, let out 1 hr a day to shower or make phone calls and that's it. They spend their time alone and that will KILL Arias. I think she ran her mouth about wanting the DP w/ out realizing what being locked up under the DP would entail. Ha ha too bad for her, she would have been happy as a clam in gen pop for the rest of her life, she has adjusted well to prison and it would have been same old same old for her.

As K-Z pointed out above, death row prisoners are permitted to purchase 2 appliances from the commissary. Small color TVs are on the list of appliances available to maximum-security prisoners.

Hi AZLawyer,

Can you please explain what factors tend to govern a judge's decision for LWOP vs Life? Are there specific guidelines, or because this is so anomalous given the change in the law and that this murderer is grandfathered in, it is simply up the judge's discretion? Do you have a prediction if it comes to that? (hey, you've been right so far!)

Thanks

The statute only provides very vague guidance (consider the aggravating circumstances, mitigating circumstances, victim statements, etc.), so it is basically up to the judge's discretion.

2 Questions:

1. Once a defendant is convicted, why is there such a long interval between the conviction, and sentencing?? For example, it is widely reported that once the aggravation/ mitigation phase is complete and the jury returns their recommendation for life or death, that the sentencing hearing would be 30 to 60 days later. Even if the jury decision is death-- the articles still say sentencing is in 30- 60 days. The decision is pretty much made at that point-- why the long delay in "formal" sentencing? Couldn't the judge just sentence the convicted right then, seeing that there isn't another sentencing option??

(Lol-- In my profession we have literally seconds to a few minutes to make most life and death decisions, so it puzzles me to see it necessary to take WEEKS to MONTHS to make a formal proclamation on a sentence that is inevitable according to the law.)

2. Does the convicted, but yet formally unsentenced defendant remain in County Jail during the delay between conviction and sentencing? If so, is this different if the sentence is death? ie, does a defendant with an "inevitable" death sentence go to death row at state prison for the 1-2 months before sentencing, or remain in County Jail?

Thanks in advance!

30-60 days is a normal sentencing delay even for something relatively minor, like a DUI, so I think it's just the way the courts operate. However, now that Arizona juries do not "recommend" death but actually DECIDE death, there might be an immediate sentence imposed after the jury decision. I wouldn't go by what the articles say, unless they explain where they got the information from.

I believe she will remain in the county jail until the sentencing is complete, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

This is one of those WHAT DO YOU THINK questions.

What do you think JSS would do, if anything, if ja gets up and starts saying the things to the jury that she said on the TV interview ie: my DT wouldn't present evidence such as a picture I had of Travis chasing a child, pictures proving my sister and I were in the desert the day of her grandparents house break in...or any other fantasy like that. OR if she started trashing Travis again with accusations of abuse. Or the jury only convicted her because they felt sympathy for Travis' family. TIA

If she says anything that opens the door to JM presenting rebuttal evidence, IMO the judge will allow him to present rebuttal evidence or will direct the jury to disregard the statements, depending on what JM wants and how much of a circus it would become to rebut whatever JA said.

If she starts bringing up the abuse issue again in her allocution statement, IMO the judge would allow JM to put her on the stand and cross-examine her about the allegations, because that testimony would apply to one of her mitigating factors, and JM has the right to cross-examine witnesses regarding mitigation evidence. Alternatively, JM could just allow her to talk about it and tick off the jury, since he's already cross-examined her on the issue. :) Also, the judge could ask her to move it along if she started getting into a lot of detail, since she already testified about the "abuse" during the guilt phase.

As an attorney, what do you think JA could say to convince the jury to give her life instead of the DP? Not whether it's possible that she could convince them, but what do you think her best shot would be?

Thanks again AZ, I heart you and all your efforts here. :)

As an attorney, what do you think JA could say to convince the jury to give her life instead of the DP? Not whether it's possible that she could convince them, but what do you think her best shot would be?

Thanks again AZ, I heart you and all your efforts here. :)

This is such a hard question at this point. I don't think the jury will buy anything she's selling. I suppose her "reverse psychology" strategy from her Fox interview (begging for the death penalty) wouldn't be a bad choice, although she'd have to fine-tune it a little so it looks like she's asking for the death penalty for the right reasons (e.g., she has come to realize, particularly by hearing the statements from Travis's siblings, the full horror of what she has done and she just can't bear the thought of surviving a lifetime with that knowledge).

What are the chances JM uses the post-conviction interview tomorrow? Does it depend on what she says? Or do you think he won't use it, no matter what?

30-60 days is a normal sentencing delay even for something relatively minor, like a DUI, so I think it's just the way the courts operate. However, now that Arizona juries do not "recommend" death but actually DECIDE death, there might be an immediate sentence imposed after the jury decision. I wouldn't go by what the articles say, unless they explain where they got the information from.

I believe she will remain in the county jail until the sentencing is complete, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Will Jodie be wearing her prison garb for sentencing?

The rules of evidence (except for relevance) are largely repealed for the mitigation phase. In addition, even if the defense presents no mitigating evidence during this phase, the jury is required to consider any mitigating evidence presented during the guilt phase. So JM is allowed to rebut that evidence. JM is also allowed to rebut any of the statutory mitigating factors, because the jury is required to consider those even if the defendant doesn't ask them to. At this point, JM would also be allowed to rebut any of the mitigating factors listed by Nurmi, which are pretty broad (she's a "good friend" and trying to improve her life, etc.).

What he can't do, and what I think a lot of WS'ers want him to do, is to present new "aggravation"-type evidence. The aggravating factors are those listed by statute and nothing else, and the aggravation phase is over.

Thanks. OK, for instance, if they do argue the lack of family support, then even if testimony was not allowed in during CIC, then JM can bring that in - like kicking of her mother, baseball bat/brother, leaving home to avoid the rules, or her mother being turned away when she tried to help her move back home? I'm just not clear on if or how "any relevant evidence/regardless rules of evidence" affects testimony that the defense was able to exclude during CIC. Or are prior rulings on evidence/testimony still in effect for this phase?

Az can answer this one, but the way I understand it is that felony murder is usually in the act of a burglary or another act where this is no premeditation.
In other words--had Jodi not stolen the gun from her Grandparents, then she got the gun from Travis (that's what she said and the defense team said) so Juan said then---she committed a burglary before she shot Travis. Also, even if she was invited into Travis's home and there was premeditation once she started stabbing Travis, then she would lose her invitation to stay--thus felony murder.

In premeditation there is more of a planning. “Wrongfully causing the death of another human being, after rationally considering the TIMING---OR---METHOD of doing so in order to increase the likihood of success or to evade detection or apprehension.”

Now to me, and to the jury, the evidence for premeditation was overwhelming---
1. Faked Journal entries.
2. Broke into TA’s face book, sent messages to herself.
3. Hacked into his ATM, Bank Records, and E-mails.

4. Robbed Grandparents of 25-calibre GUN, $30 cash, and a stereo.
5. Dyed her hair a different color.
6. Drove 90-miles out of her way away from home town to get rental car.
7. Used rental car, specifically asked for not red, so she could presumably not see any stains/blood to clean.
8. Borrowed two gas cans, and bought a third.
9. Turned off cell phone so it wouldn’t ping off towers.
10. Turned her license plate upside down.
11. Brought gun and knife to crime scene.
12. Showed up at Travis’s house early in morning.
13. Locked Travis’s dog in a closet so he wouldn’t get in blood.

14. Waited until he was in vulnerable position in Shower and naked.
15. Arranged for date with Ryan Burns and was to arrive same night as murder.

However--what if you get some juror who is brain dead and says--'we'll what if that is all coincidental'? Then Juan can say---well, once she starts stabbing Travis--she would no longer be welcomed into Travis home, whether she planned it or not.

I am sure AZ will add more.

Do we have evidence/testimony to the bbm portions above? If so could someone please direct me to it? My apologies, I know this isn't a question specific to the lawyers I just couldn't get those points out of my mind after reading them earlier. tia

All murders are felonies, yes. But "felony murder" doesn't mean "a murder that's a felony," it means "a murder committed in the process of or in furtherance of a different felony." In this case, the other felony alleged was second-degree burglary.

Does this indicate to you that the jurors who voted for pre-med AND felony murder believe the story that it was indeed Travis's gun that Jodi used? I'm just trying to figure out what the jury members who believed both were thinking. In other words what story they believed. It concerns me if they think it was Travis gun because that indicates they believe some of what she said and they may believe a fight occurred that day. If they believed the States theory that she brought the gun ( stolen from her grandparents home) and came down to Mesa with murder in mind, would this fit under Felony murder? See what I mean? I'm concerned that the ones who voted for Felony murder and pre med will opt for life because they didnt buy the States theory but do believe that since she essentially killed him three times, Pre Meditation is unavoidable but her story could still be true to some. Thanks AZ Lawyer. I so hope I made sense.

Juan also said that once Jodi stabbed or shot (if you believe that Travis was shot first) Travis, she immediately became an unwelcome guest in his home. Since she didn't leave, that would be a felony. AZlawyer, do you think the jurors didn't understand this and felt that this would be like judging Jodi twice for the same crime? If this is how a felony is determined, it seems as if any murder committed with more than one gunshot, stab, hit, etc. could be considered a felony murder. Do you feel that all those who voted for both premeditation and felony murder believe that the gun belonged to Travis, or could there be other felonies that she committed while she was in his home on June 4?

I read that doing over $10,000 to a residential building is a class 4 felony. I feel sure that it would cost that much to clean up and replace everything in that master suite. You would need to replace all the bathroom fixtures, the tile and even the flooring under the tile, get rid of that smell, clean the walls, paint the walls, replace the carpet maybe in the entire house so that all of it would match, etc. Since so much of the master suite was damaged because of Jodi, could that be considered a felony?

http://www.phillipslaw.com/types-of-criminal-offenses

#18 Criminal Damage

What are the chances JM uses the post-conviction interview tomorrow? Does it depend on what she says? Or do you think he won't use it, no matter what?

It completely depends on what evidence she presents; what she said in that interview might not be relevant to any mitigating circumstance.

Will Jodie be wearing her prison garb for sentencing?

If she is sentenced to death and the sentencing takes place immediately (which IMO it should), then she will still be in her trial clothes. If there is a sentencing hearing before the judge at some later time (25-to-life vs. natural life, or if the death sentencing is delayed for some reason), she will be in jail clothes.

Thanks. OK, for instance, if they do argue the lack of family support, then even if testimony was not allowed in during CIC, then JM can bring that in - like kicking of her mother, baseball bat/brother, leaving home to avoid the rules, or her mother being turned away when she tried to help her move back home? I'm just not clear on if or how "any relevant evidence/regardless rules of evidence" affects testimony that the defense was able to exclude during CIC. Or are prior rulings on evidence/testimony still in effect for this phase?

Except for rulings on relevance (which might be different now because the issues are different for this phase), the evidentiary rulings during the guilt phase won't matter much now.

However, I'm not sure things like being mean to her family would constitute rebuttal to a mitigating circumstance of lack of family support. I mean, Nurmi didn't say WHY she lacked family support. ;) But the judge might see it your way.

Does this indicate to you that the jurors who voted for pre-med AND felony murder believe the story that it was indeed Travis's gun that Jodi used? I'm just trying to figure out what the jury members who believed both were thinking. In other words what story they believed. It concerns me if they think it was Travis gun because that indicates they believe some of what she said and they may believe a fight occurred that day. If they believed the States theory that she brought the gun ( stolen from her grandparents home) and came down to Mesa with murder in mind, would this fit under Felony murder? See what I mean? I'm concerned that the ones who voted for Felony murder and pre med will opt for life because they didnt buy the States theory but do believe that since she essentially killed him three times, Pre Meditation is unavoidable but her story could still be true to some. Thanks AZ Lawyer. I so hope I made sense.

I never watched JM's closing and was confused when people told me that the "felony murder" argument was about stealing Travis's gun. But then other people told me that those people were dreaming and JM never said that. ;)

I assume the second group of people were correct, because the way JM had explained the felony murder argument before was that Jodi either re-entered the home (after pretending she was leaving) with the intention of killing Travis, or that she became an unwelcome visitor as soon as she started the attack. That argument makes a lot more sense than the "gun theft" argument, although IMO the second version (where she became an unwelcome guest when the attack began) is legally flawed, and I'm glad the jury didn't go with felony murder for that reason.

If JM didn't make the argument that the theft of Travis's gun was the basis for felony murder, then I don't think we need to worry that the jury is confused about that issue.

Juan also said that once Jodi stabbed or shot (if you believe that Travis was shot first) Travis, she immediately became an unwelcome guest in his home. Since she didn't leave, that would be a felony. AZlawyer, do you think the jurors didn't understand this and felt that this would be like judging Jodi twice for the same crime? If this is how a felony is determined, it seems as if any murder committed with more than one gunshot, stab, hit, etc. could be considered a felony murder. Do you feel that all those who voted for both premeditation and felony murder believe that the gun belonged to Travis, or could there be other felonies that she committed while she was in his home on June 4?

I read that doing over $10,000 to a residential building is a class 4 felony. I feel sure that it would cost that much to clean up and replace everything in that master suite. You would need to replace all the bathroom fixtures, the tile and even the flooring under the tile, get rid of that smell, clean the walls, paint the walls, replace the carpet maybe in the entire house so that all of it would match, etc. Since so much of the master suite was damaged because of Jodi, could that be considered a felony?

http://www.phillipslaw.com/types-of-criminal-offenses

#18 Criminal Damage

The ONLY felony alleged in connection with the felony murder was 2nd degree burglary. The jury did not receive any instructions regarding any other felony.

IMO there would have been a problem on appeal if the jurors had accepted the felony murder theory. Luckily, they didn't. The jurors who didn't vote for felony murder perhaps realized that there was something fundamentally circular/wrong about the "unwelcome visitor after the attack began" argument.

Happy Monday Az Lawyer ... my question is once the jury returns their verdict, death penalty or LWOP or the other life sentence you mentioned ... do the appeals start immediately? How long does the first appeal normally take and is that to the first level of AZ Appellate Court? Will another attorney handle any appeal or does Nurmi do that?

I am just asking the after effects once the jury makes a decision as far as time appeals take, who handles the appeals, how many levels if first appellate court upholds the verdict ... what is next before it reaches AZ Supreme Court?

Why didn't the DT use DeMarte's diagnosis and claim a personality disorder as a mitigating factor? I know a PD is not a defense strategy, but why not use it in mitigation? IMO, it's a stronger factor than "a good friend" or "a good artist."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout