Jodi Arias Trial: the weekend discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a comment from a "myspace friend" of Jodi's on Travis' facebook page memorial. The friend stated he saved conversations with Jodi in which she went into detail about her contempt for Travis. I wonder if the prosecution took him up on his offer to share?

they should have anything like that on his computer.

Thanks for that, ftg! I agree about Juan being excellent. He is very efficient yet seems thorough. I love his pace and he's easy to follow.

I wonder how he can mentally handle trying multiple murder cases simultaneously! There is so much detail he must cover. And he doesn't seem to rely heavily on notes. How does he do that?

Some people are just extremely good at memorizing and recalling information. He also clearly knows our laws extremely well.

Also, some of the murder cases he tries here are fairly open and shut. They just have get things on record before transport to one of our 4 'lovely' prisons. (We have more than 4 but I believe only 4 house convicted murderers.. or the majority of them).

Again, we don't have the actual story of what happened. Again, I am not saying that anyone was fabricating a story. What I am saying is that those of us reading this board have one side to the story.
Respectfully, you don't have to believe it. It doesn't matter. It was told as an example of a kind of apathy that TA may have witnessed as a child. It doesn't mean he did, it's just means that I know that he could have . It wouldn't matter a bit to me that other people don't have both sides of the events that went on that night if I ever found myself in a DV situation because I do know both sides and I would feel anxiety about the attitude of a responding police officer and would probably be reluctant to call them.

I was only responding in defense of law enforcement in that in a case like this, there are MANY aspects to the story.
and police officers are also people. Some of them don't want to risk their lives in DV situations. At least that one did not. I assume he is not unique. I could be wrong.

Did another officer go to talk to the boyfriend and the boyfriend told LE that he was only removing the boy because the mother was out of control?
If LE talked to him and he seemed more rational than the mother and the child was fine with it, how is LE supposed to make the decision to return the child to the mother?
No, another did not go speak with the BF unless he did it after we picked up
the child and I took them to my house.

A child is extremely vulnerable, especially when two people he loves are arguing. Did the child tell LE that he was fine?
I agree the child was vulnerable which is why I was so livid at the refusal to get involved.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm only saying that there are several sides to a story. I posted because of the statement that was made that a police officer said something that made LE look stupid. That's all.
Not taken as argumentative. I get that there is a fidelity in the police force. To me, the officer did not sound or look stupid, he was apathetic. And as I stated in a previous post, his prediction was correct. However, it did not make a difference to me on that particular night.

The Judge and also the Prosecutor Martinez have a very busy schedule as they are finishing up other murder cases and I see some new ones coming up as well.

Keep in mind Monday Jan. 21st is a Holiday... So no court anyway. It appears that Court will be in season this week M-Th starting at 10:30am (of course pending possible delays due to cases the Judge will be seeing from 8:30-10:30 each morning).

Spring Break here in AZ is in March.

The reason for breaks other than Spring Break would be because of the busy schedule of other murder cases that she sees and also Juan Martinez is trying. For instance, State of AZ vs. Richard Chrismon is one that I believe they are just now finishing up. There are more on the docket as well. Basically, cases will overlap.

Hopefully this helps some and I apologize if any of this has already been posted.

One thing I do want to add though is that... Juan Martinez is an excellent prosecutor and has tried other death penalty cases fairly recently as in recent years (however I think as recent as last year) and has won....

Thank you for this!

I love the prosecutor's style too. It's impressive that he's trying this big case with no co-counsel. It's clear he knows the case and the law inside and out, effortlessly, passionately. I find him very effective. Hopefully the jury does too.
Good to know he's experienced in DP cases. Thanks again for this info.

they should have anything like that on his computer.

And hers... I'm sure the 82,000 emails between them alone was quite the read... not to mention the text messages and instant messages.

I'm willing to bet there also a bunch of correspondence between her and other men as well... even between 2006 when she met him up to the time of her arrest in 2008.

Im not sure if I'm quite understanding what you're saying, but stalking from a mate, ex, etc. is considered domestic violence as it leaves one in fear for their safety. My daughter lived with her ex stalking her for over 4 years after their breakup. The police, DA and courts called the stalking domestic violence.

I guess it is quibbling, but I am responding to the idea that he was truly afraid of her. I think he was highly annoyed with her, but I do not think he really feared her.

They did not live together, did they? To me, they were dating. I don't think she was terrorizing him in that he was really terrorized or he would have taken some measures like doing away with the doggie door. He could have doggie daycare with his money.

He may have had warning signals going off in terms of danger, but he was a strong man who I am sure felt he could take care of himself. Why not? How many killers does the average person meet?

I could see this scenario. Especially if the knife was a switch blade, it could easily be kept from Travis' view before she extended the blade.

Or, another thought. Perhaps she ducktaped the dogs mouth shut so he couldn't be barking like crazy.
Or, she ducktaped TA mouth so he couldn't yell.
We will know soon. Imo

I just read that there will be two days of testimony this week and then a 2-3 week break. Has anyone heard this? If this is true, than I can understand why it will take so long to complete this trial. Is this normal in Arizona?

Someone mentioned that it lists dates for tomorrows trial on 1/23 and 1/24 then starts again on 2/6, if you scroll down to the end.

So hopefully its all week....

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.g...rtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2008-031021

There's something I wanted to bring up after reading as much of the posts here as I can and also on the FB pages. I have seen and continuing to see continual bashing of the defense attorney's... even of their physical appearances..

Anyway, Mr. Nurmi had more than once petitioned the courts to be removed from this case as he wants to leave the public defenders office. They were each denied.

I ask people to just consider being in his shoes for a moment or two and think to yourself how difficult is must be to have to try and defend Jodi... Someone who has admitted to her crime and the only reason she really is being given a fair trial is because she says it was in self defense. There are laws in place to actually protect people that clearly have ended up killing in self defense. Anyway, I guess I just am rambling at this point. I have friends that have worked in the past in the prosecution office and public defenders office... All they will say is that it's very political for the most part! Mr. Nurmi is doing his best to uphold the law that he was sworn to uphold. IMO he doesn't have much to work with and has to do what he can to insure his client gets the best counsel even if he doesn't like it and is made to do it!!! That to me would be a freaking nightmare.. now think of it from a mans point of view.. he's probably thinking.. holy chit.. she's a nut! Again this is all my opinion!

Is there any religion that is okay with premarital sex and such? I don't think there is but I sure don't know. I just don't understand why some have commented negatively about Travis in regards to this. It just seems ludicrous to me as many devoutly religious people struggle with this very thing.

I imagine you are talking about me. People who are religious struggle with spiritual issues.

If one chooses a religion seriously like he did, then people try to live the teachings. I don't think he was going just for the social time. I think he was a believer.

He was not doing what is expected for very basic issues. The Mormon church is far more intense on the topic of premarital sex than a lot of churches.

So it was a struggle for him for he was changing to look for a woman more in line with what he wanted to be.

Is that negative? People who are into their religions have spiritual issues that they deal with. That is what it is all about.

Possible, but for what purpose? Home invasion with nothing taken or any visible sign the intruders had been there, except to murder him? Or a personal vendetta against him, but again why? If that was her intent, the staging was grossly lacking.

:waitasec:

MOO

Psychopaths are notoriously poor planners.

And I even broke down and providing a linking !

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ab.10051/abstract

http://www.crimetimes.org/95d/w95dp9.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's something I wanted to bring up after reading as much of the posts here as I can and also on the FB pages. I have seen and continuing to see continual bashing of the defense attorney's... even of their physical appearances..

Anyway, Mr. Nurmi had more than once petitioned the courts to be removed from this case as he wants to leave the public defenders office. They were each denied.

I ask people to just consider being in his shoes for a moment or two and think to yourself how difficult is must be to have to try and defend Jodi... Someone who has admitted to her crime and the only reason she really is being given a fair trial is because she says it was in self defense. There are laws in place to actually protect people that clearly have ended up killing in self defense. Anyway, I guess I just am rambling at this point. I have friends that have worked in the past in the prosecution office and public defenders office... All they will say is that it's very political for the most part! Mr. Nurmi is doing his best to uphold the law that he was sworn to uphold. IMO he doesn't have much to work with and has to do what he can to insure his client gets the best counsel even if he doesn't like it and is made to do it!!! That to me would be a freaking nightmare.. now think of it from a mans point of view.. he's probably thinking.. holy chit.. she's a nut! Again this is all my opinion!

I can't imagine how political it is. I seriously considered becoming a prosecutor, but knew I would not be able to "play the game" (i.e., accept greatly reduced pleas) to get killers off the hook.

But anyway, can't he just resign if he wants to leave the PD's office?

:please:
I don't think anyone in the general public cares whether TA had premarital sex (I sure don't). But it's a really big deal with his Mormon community. In the Mormon belief system, premarital sex is a very big deal.

The issue is more about having a double life. His public image portrays the "worthy life" Mormon man, and his "success" as a motivational speaker and esteemed member of the community rides in large part on this image. But his actual lifestyle is contrary to the Mormon definition of "worthy".

So the defense will probably argue: If one lies or misrepresents himself in this respect, might he have other characteristics that were secret or hidden, as in being abusive? And if his life was "secret," no one else would really know...

And this IMO is probably where the defense is going with their self-defense claim; that although no one has come forward to say they witnessed these things, there was abuse, it was secret and part of an abuse cycle.

I can only speculate that this is a feature of an abuse syndrome which Alyce LaViolette, the DV expert due to testify for the defense, will talk about.

I think one has to understand the significance of this religion in people's lives. It is not like being a Christmas and Easter going to church person. If one accepts it like he did, it is major.

I can't imagine how political it is. I seriously considered becoming a prosecutor, but knew I would not be able to "play the game" (i.e., accept greatly reduced pleas) to get killers off the hook.

But anyway, can't he just resign if he wants to leave the PD's office?

Apparently not! I had read it in some of the court documents I think that have been posted on this site and possibly the FB support page during the first week of the trial. It was mentioned in there while describing the change in counsel numerous times since what now feels like the dawn of time..j/k (2008).

If I am remembering correctly, it was this judge that denied it request(s). It was in 2011... after she was trying to defend herself and get the infamous letters TA wrote her, sent to her by a 3rd party.

I personally don't hold the defense attorneys culpable - they have an immensely important job to do because I really don't want her to be successful on appeal. I just wish the fight for their client was sometimes a bit more balanced in terms of the victims. I don't expect them to begin espousing Travis' virtues but the motion to have him not called a victim because they felt it would endanger Jodi's defense really did rub me wrong.

At the same time - logically - I am grateful they're giving their all for their client. Emotionally is a much different matter though.

i wasnt saying she was smart just said that may have been what she was intending to do. I remember the prosecution mentioning staging.

I realize that and my questions weren't directed at you, but rather general questions which arise when one wants LE to believe there were two killers.

:)

I was thinking about the duct tape found. I wonder if she ducktaped the handle of the knife to her hand so that he couldn't take it from her.

It is my understanding she cut herself with the knife, therefore it appears the handle became wet with his blood and it slipped. That would seem to negate the possibility she had it taped to her hand.

MOO

I agree! Personal attacks on the appearance of people is really not cool and I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed here on WS. Although many of us could never in a million years defend someone that we felt/knew was guilty, there are those who can. And, I guess in terms of our basic rights to get a fair trial, someone has to do it. The other thing that drives many defense attorneys is money. There can be big money in being a DT. This does not include public defenders, but it can make a real name for a public defender if they win difficult cases. This, in turn, can mean big money for them once they get into a private practice.

I can tell from the demeanor of both attorneys that they aren't in love with JA. However, they are doing their jobs.

Defense attorneys are a huge important part of the process. Nothing but respect from me. I couldn't do it. But without them the process wouldn't work and the truly innocent would never get a fair shot.

All IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members