JoePa's Statue

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What, if anything, should be done with JoePa's memorial statue?

• Leave it as is, and where it is.

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place on-campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place off campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Take it down, move it way off campus, let us never learn what became of it.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • Melt it down, sell it off, and donate the proceeds to abuse survivors.

Votes: 89 54.6%
  • store it in a warehouse away from public view

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • Give it to the Paterno family.

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters
Legacy protection never works.

You are seeing the result of trying.

Legacy protection never works.

You are seeing the result of trying.

After 2 or 3 days of fighting back after the release of the investigative report being made public, the Paterno family has been quiet for the last 4 or 5 days.

Wonder what the response will be after today with the statue coming down and then tomorrow after the NCAA sanctions as it appears the NCAA is using the Freeh report as it's investigative tool?

Such a relief that it is finally gone. I just hope we don't start seeing big protests taking hold. I've heard just about enough of pro Paterno BS to last a lifetime (I live in PA).
I could not agree more. I too live in PA and enough is enough.

Never understood the infatuation.

Pennlive.com has a comment from Paterno family saying that taking down the statue doesn't serve the Sandusky victims. They also go on to say that Joe Paterno has not received due process.

Pennlive.com has a comment from Paterno family saying that taking down the statue doesn't serve the Sandusky victims. They also go on to say that Joe Paterno has not received due process.

I just read their comments, and I am furious. Who in hell are THEY to speak for what is right for the victims?
Enough of them, I wish that whenever they open their mouths, no one shows up to hear what crap comes out.

I just read their comments, and I am furious. Who in hell are THEY to speak for what is right for the victims?
Enough of them, I wish that whenever they open their mouths, no one shows up to hear what crap comes out.

AS J.J. posted above "legacy protection never works". The commenting by the Paterno family after each significant finding or incident is driving public opinion in a very negative way. The whole world is watching and out of the community of Penn State people just are not buying the spin.

It does serves the poor kids / now men who got used by the pig and coverd up by his boss.

IMO the family is very embarked :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
and humiliated, they have to cover their arz somehow.

wish they had some courage and humility. but NO chickens like JOE.

God in Heaven. When will Sue and Company go away?

They're like the Kardashians.

Just as trashy but in a different way.

I totally agree. They need to try, just once, to demonstrate some class and dignity by shutting their pieholes.

Statue of famed Penn St. coach Paterno taken down

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<DA05V5GO1@news.ap.org>&ps=1013&page=1

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — The famed statue of Joe Paterno was taken down from outside the Penn State football stadium Sunday as the NCAA announced it would be issuing sanctions against the university whose top officials were accused in a scathing report of burying child sex abuse allegations against a now-convicted retired assistant.

Workers lifted the 7-foot-tall statue off its base and used a forklift to move it into Beaver Stadium as the 100 to 150 students watched, some chanting, "We are Penn State."...........

The Paterno family issued a statement only hours later saying the statue's removal "does not serve the victims of Jerry Sandusky's horrible crimes or help heal the Penn State community."............Paterno's widow, Sue, and two of the Paternos' children visited the statue Friday as students and fans lined up to get their pictures taken with the landmark. The statue, weighing more than 900 pounds, was built in 2001 in honor of Paterno's record-setting 324th Division I coaching victory and his "contributions to the university."............

Penn State President Rod Erickson said he decided to have the statue removed and put into storage because it "has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing."

"I believe that, were it to remain, the statue will be a recurring wound to the multitude of individuals across the nation and beyond who have been the victims of child abuse," Erickson said in a statement.

Construction vehicles and police arrived shortly after dawn Sunday, barricading the street and sidewalks near the statue, erecting a chain-link fence then concealing the statue with a blue tarp. Workers then used jackhammers to free the statue and a forklift to lower it onto a flat-bed truck that rolled into stadium garage bay about 100 feet away.............Dozens later gathered to watch and listen to the sound of sawing, scraping and shoveling as white-helmeted workers behind tarpaulins removed Paterno's name and various plaques from the walls behind where the statue had stood. Shortly before midday, all that appeared to remain was the bare concrete and stone.

The university president said Paterno's name will remain on the campus library because it "symbolizes the substantial and lasting contributions to the academic life and educational excellence that the Paterno family has made to Penn State University."............

That's why I believe another art piece placed by the family would be far more appropriate. That way the family can view it as a memorial if that is what they want it to be, but the public can have the comfort of simply seeing a attractive out door art piece or fountain or whatever might be chosen. This would mean NO PLAQUE or dedication ceremony. They obviously donated money for a library...that's great, good in its own way....but other than that, its time to dismantle and debunk the saintly image.

jmo

I'm sorry but I don't think the family has any right to put anything else there in place of the statue. None of them are associated with the school anymore, except to receive benefits from JP's retirement. The school should decide if anything and what else will be put there, NOT the Paternos. Enough of their control...we see where it led to before and how grasping and deluded they are acting now... enough!

It's down... good! It is one less nasty unsanitary bandaid covering a moral wound that needs the fresh air to heal.

I have commented very little in all of this, but I just have to now say that I am glad the statue has come down.

Paterno was no God. He was not perfect. None of us are. He was elevated to the status of being a God-like character by the love of football. He was made into a celebrity by those who love football. He could do no wrong in so many eyes.

Paterno had character flaws even all during those winning years. Where was his outrage for child victims? Where was his sense of right and wrong? It just simply wasn't there. End of story. Paterno protected a criminal of the worst kind, IMO. He deserves no statue or reverence. He was no God. I would say Paterno was very lacking in the morals department.

Let's take the Paterno name out of this and put it in general terms. What would you think of any person protecting a pedophile to the point where the crimes were let to go on many, many years when it could have been stopped? This person could have acted swiftly and other victims would have been spared. How could a person love a game more than small, innocent human beings who were already living life at a disadvantage and were vulnerable?

It is a no-brainer to me. Paterno was no hero. He was not a good, moral man who should have been a role model for our college students, IMO, and he sure as h3ll did not deserve a statue in his honor. Now the Paterno family is suffering from this same God-like frame of mind. They would do better to just be quiet instead of fighting for the honor of a family member who clearly had none. IMO.

Okay, I have said my peace now.

MOO's

Is Penn State Scandal Just Getting Started?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1267992-is-penn-state-scandal-just-getting-started

Excerpt:

These thoughts in mind, is Penn State moving swiftly so it can begin the process of healing? Or is the university moving to brush the scandal under the rug, i.e. swiftly removing Paterno’s statue and accepting ‘unprecedented’ NCAA punishment?

Furthermore, what else does Penn State know that the public does not? Could it be that the Paterno family—now pushed into a corner—are now willing and ready to let multiple cats out of the bag: cats the university does not want released?

Who knows?

But from Freeh’s report, combined with Erickson’s statement and the Paterno family’s rebuttal, one thing becomes crystal clear.

The Penn State scandal may not be coming to an end.

It may just be getting started.

I heard one commentator on the radio say that the "Paterno's know where the bodies are buried". I'm sure he meant that figuratively, but it still gave me the creeps.

Maybe that's why they didn't want to move the statue. Who knows what's under there. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back