John Tavolta's son Jett dies at age 16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My heart goes out to them too...
I have had a child hospitalized this year, and I do know what it is like to fight for the best care and to not know which professional to believe.

I don't feel shame about questioning the belief system that denies necessary medication to hurting people...If anticonvulsants are now permitted in Scientology, that is great...next step is to fight them regarding psychiatric drugs...Many illnesses of the brain have a biochemical component and can be successfully managed with medication.

My only objection is that if it is an adult with full faculties and they choose to not want to adhere to medical treatment...they should not be forced. However, if it were a child...I then support the process of medical intervention by a group of doctors in a court system to decide.

Lavanda Dolce *cry*

What a beautiful Job you have done on your tribute to Jett.............

Fly by Celine Dion is such an appropriate song for it as well

Well Done ...............................and i am sorry that it is of your own personal experience that you could draw on to make this ((((((((((((((((hugs to you and your child))))))))))))))))

You know, it does seem obvious from the little I have seen of this child that he had autism. It appears the family denied this. But, they may have been treating it anyhow, even if they did not label it autism. The Travoltas mentioned detox therapy. Coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally), CAN and several autism activists promote detox therapy in the treatment of autism. We don't know everything these parents did for their child, and to treat his developmental issues. Further, there have been public statements that these people treated their son's seizures, with and without medication. There is no negligence on the part of the parents here for how they chose to treat their child's seizures, regardless of their religious beliefs (and I am NOT a fan of scientology at all and I agree that Kawasaki's disease neither causes seizures nor developmental problems!). It would be different if they were withholding medicine proven to work for religious reasons, causing great risk of serious injury or death and there is nothing to show that this is what happened here. It really bothers me that the public feels the need to question anything in this case. These people obviously deeply loved their son and they just lost him! I know grief. It is such a vulnerable time when one questions their own actions and whether they could have done more or different or better. I cannot imagine having such grief compounded by a nosy, clamoring public casting ugly innuendos and blame during such a horrible time. People should back off and feel some shame. My heart goes out to them in this awful period in their lives and to everyone else who has lost someone dear to them.

I am unsure of the statement regarding autism, although Jett might have been on the spectrum somewhere...who knows and I guess from my perspective, does it matter? The family released a series of photos with Jett that absolutely brought me to tears...I attached my favorite one.

Attachments

• jett.jpg
    jett.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 83
I am unsure of the statement regarding autism, although Jett might have been on the spectrum somewhere...who knows and I guess from my perspective, does it matter? The family released a series of photos with Jett that absolutely brought me to tears...I attached my favorite one.

What a great picture. It all just breaks my heart.

I agree. there was a point in my son's care where I had to choose between some very nasty drugs and possible seizures. I chose seizures for 15 years. They have come a long way with anti-convulsants, but unfortunately all drugs do not work the same, if at all, on all patients. It is a very tough road.
Fortunately Lamictal, which is one of the best drugs around, works well for my son, but I know people right on this board that it does not work on at all.

JBean, that Depakote can be nasty and too strong for children let alone adults sometimes. I'm glad you found Lamictal, i know a lot of people who swear by it, and it doesn't have the side effects that Depakote has :blowkiss:

Lavanda Dolce *cry*

What a beautiful Job you have done on your tribute to Jett.............

Fly by Celine Dion is such an appropriate song for it as well

Well Done ...............................and i am sorry that it is of your own personal experience that you could draw on to make this ((((((((((((((((hugs to you and your child))))))))))))))))

Thank you, Jane. I thought the song was perfect, as well. Again, thank you.

My heart goes out to the family, it is such a hard thing to lose a child regardless og the age of the child.

Me being me and how I like to learn new things... I wonder what the secondary, and even the third cause of death was. I have a hard time fathoming that just seizure is listed as the single cause of death. Since the autopsy was done in a day, the ME probably just did the basic autopsy where they check the vital organs, and body for signs of trauma and death. If they did a tox screen, it would have taken longer.

E*E

My heart goes out to the family, it is such a hard thing to lose a child regardless og the age of the child.

Me being me and how I like to learn new things... I wonder what the secondary, and even the third cause of death was. I have a hard time fathoming that just seizure is listed as the single cause of death. Since the autopsy was done in a day, the ME probably just did the basic autopsy where they check the vital organs, and body for signs of trauma and death. If they did a tox screen, it would have taken longer.

E*E

A tox screen wouldn't be necessary unless suspicion of drug use or poison. The epilepsy foundation will tell you that while it is uncommon, it does occur up to one in every 300 to 500 people with uncontrolled seizures each year. Doctors do not know why this occurs or how to prevent it. However, people with many generalized tonic clonic seizures are at highest risk. (which are also called Grand Mal)

E*E

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000694.htm

I love medline, btw-Seizures can cause death if more than one occurs with in close proximity or oxygen flow is interrupted causing brain death.

By VANESSA ROLLE
Associated Press Writer

FREEPORT, Bahamas (AP) -- Actor John Travolta and his wife, Kelly Preston, have returned to Florida with the remains of their 16-year-old son, Jett, who died at the family vacation home in Grand Bahama.

The couple received an urn with his ashes and left the island chain on Monday night, according to Obie Wilchcombe, a member of the Bahamas parliament and a family friend.

"Everything was in place, the cremation was completed, and they decided to leave," Wilchcombe said Tuesday. He said the family is back in Ocala, Fla., where they have a home.

I can't image going home minus a child.....when they left home they had a wonderful vacation with the whole family planned and a great way to start the new year only to have this tragedy happen and going home to a house full of memories has got to be extreme heartbreak....

They showed a clip on Larry King Live last night of John Travolta talking about his son (I don't remember what year it was). He talked about the carpet cleaning and Kawaski syndrome. He also said something about what a joy his son was after having suffered so much loss in his life (my words not his).

My heart breaks for their whole family.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000694.htm

I love medline, btw-Seizures can cause death if more than one occurs with in close proximity or oxygen flow is interrupted causing brain death.

Interesting, I did not know that. Thank you for the link.

I'm still trying to think of a case where seizure was listed as primary cause of death. Of the ones that I can think of, seizure was usually listed second, sometimes as the third cause of death, and something else was listed as primary. I'm not saying it couldn't, I just have not seen it. I really wish I could ask the ME I worked with, he would know.

About the tox screen. It doesn't mean the person was using drugs, it is usually done when an apparent cause of death is not immediately determined. It also is used to see what medication the deceased was on prior to death, in case the medication was a factor in death. To be honest I'm not sure why I mentioned.

E*E

My heart goes out to John, Kelly and Ella. Iti s truly a parents worst fear and my heart aches for them.

One of my friends has a son that is Autistic and my Aunt teaches
Autistic children in school.
It's my understanding and from what I have seen myself is
that people who are Autistic have a hard time with eye to eye contact.

If you look at the pictures of Jett when he was younger he made eye contact
with his parents and also to the cameras.
It seems to me just from looking at videos and pictures of him when he
was little compared to when he was older...something seems to have changed.
I think it's like you said... he had seizures and that caused damage.
JMO

I heard last night that John could not even bear the thought of his flying the plane home without his son, so they made arrangements for someone else to fly them home. I'm sure they had many wonderful times in that plane together.

I think this tragedy is going to be life transforming for John and his family...in him taking a different path in life somehow. Not necessarily giving up acting but taking up a new path or cause in some way.

One of my friends has a son that is Autistic and my Aunt teaches
Autistic children in school.
It's my understanding and from what I have seen myself is
that people who are Autistic have a hard time with eye to eye contact.

If you look at the pictures of Jett when he was younger he made eye contact
with his parents and also to the cameras.
It seems to me just from looking at videos and pictures of him when he
was little compared to when he was older...something seems to have changed.
I think it's like you said... he had seizures and that caused damage.
JMO

Eye contact would vary depending on a lot of factors at the individual times and where he was on the Autism spectrum.

And if they withheld proper medical treatment for Jett due to their belief in Scientology, any evidence is now destroyed. I think this smells.

Kawasaki syndrome is not a life threatening disease. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kawasaki-disease/DS00576

Epilepsy and autism are not either. But proper treatment with the proper medication are not on the Scientology agenda. I am sorry for the Travoltas but even sorrier for Jett, because I think his parents were irresponsible.

My heart goes out to John and Kelly on the loss of their son. No one should have to endure losing their child, and then to be beat up in the media is adding pain. That being said, I am surprised that they didn't try additional anti-seizure meds. There are several and it is typical or one to work better than another in a given patient. It's also typical of one used for a length of time to start losing it's effectiveness for that patient. I am in no way comparing my dog to a human in terms of loss, but my epileptic dog was on seizure meds for years and we had to up the dosage over time and up the frequency of the dosage. Eventually she died of multiple seizures ( 3 in one weekend). The vet had warned me that the storm of electrical impulses in the brain could eventually just burn out the synapses. At that point, anything could happen. Another interesting fact I learned in my online research was the more seizures an individual has, the lower the threshold of stimuli that is needed to trigger the next seizure. Thus it is very important to prevent any additional seizures to the extent that it is possible. Taking someone completely off any anti-seizure meds would almost guarantee more seizures, more frequently, increasing the patients odds for brain damage or death.

And if they withheld proper medical treatment for Jett due to their belief in Scientology, any evidence is now destroyed. I think this smells.

Kawasaki syndrome is not a life threatening disease. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kawasaki-disease/DS00576

Epilepsy and autism are not either. But proper treatment with the proper medication are not on the Scientology agenda. I am sorry for the Travoltas but even sorrier for Jett, because I think his parents were irresponsible.[/

Maybe we can put this to rest as it appears to be just a rummer at
this point!
It also appears that those who knew his parents don't agree with your last
statement!

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=42291868&blogID=461897430

"Among most of the crazy made up garbage that goes around about it , It is
not true that Scientologist's "Don't believe in " medical care , medicine or
medical Doctors and that may have something to do with this terrible tragedy.
Just like anyone else, If one is sick , they go to the doctor, If a medication
will make it better then they take it.
If they don't then they are an idiot and you can't blame their religion.
Whatever medical and or physical condition Jett had , I can tell you first
hand that his parents were on a tireless, never ending quest to get and
provide him with the absolute best care anyone could ever ask for and need,
Medically, physically, emotionally, medicinally and spiritually."

More at link

I just seen a ticker across Nancy Grace that the Travoltas are going to be interviewed by the police in an investigation into the Death. I feel really bad for them, I dont think they did anything that would harm their child and they did what they thought was best.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back