JonBenet's Skull Fractures: The Weapon

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
otg, the picture I looked at when I guessed "waterpipe" was the diagram drawing on the math page at another website. One of the off-site photos looks like a pipe applied to the right side of a larger cyclinder at an approximately 120-degree angle. That diagram shows an elliptical indentation or dis-lodgement where the long, skinny cyclinder (waterpipe) meets the larger cylinder.

I didn't see any other photos until today (Saturday). So are we supposed to be looking at the photo of the water heater room?

Phewww ...

Can you link to the photo?

As BEOSP says, how new is new? The Energy Star program began in '92 but initially labeled just computers/monitors. Residential heating/cooling equipment (which would include water heaters) was added sometime between '92 and '95. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=about.ab_history

So this cannot be a really old water heater. Since the murder happened in late '96, and energy star was fairly new at the time, this must be a new water heater. We also know from case history that renovations were being done in the house, though I'm not clear on exactly when they began. We know from other pictures of hanging wiring that the work was incomplete at the time of the murder.

So I'm thinking of a piece of gas pipe. Gas pipe would be so-called "black pipe". IOWs, iron pipe, very heavy.
Wow, Ch. I'm impressed. I didn't know when the Energy Star program began. So that kind of narrows down just how new (or old) it could be.

:floorlaugh: (I've always had gas <and no pun intended>.) :blushing:

And yes, it IS a gas water heater. Tip off is something called a "drip leg" or a "dirt leg". (More info)

Since some pipe was probably painted along with the basement (easy for the painters who just spray the entire room), would it be a reasonable assumption that it was painted before the R's bought it? And then could we further allow that unpainted pipe/fixtures were most likely installed afterwards? Does the amount of dust accumulation on the "new" stuff give us a clue as to how long it's been there?

That would make sense. It looks to me like the pipes (H/C) into the top of the water heater are "hard" pipes. ( as opposed to flexible lines) If the installation was done after painting I'd be surprised, as there is no scratching/chipping from the installation. I'd have to say they were painted after installation.

I can't tell by looking at that 5 gallon bucket what is in it. It could be pieces of pipe, pipe wrenches, etc. Is that what you think was used? Would it be the correct diameter?
I remember reading about a leak and the house was flooded - does anyone remember? If you look at the long pipe on the right side of the tank, the midsection has not been painted, but there was paint below and above it. Could that have been where it was repaired after the leak, and possibly some of the left over or unused pipe were put n the bucket?

Can you link to the photo?

Try this: http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=19141

Scroll down to post #4.

Otg, I erred. It was a small cylindrical shape against a sphere. Glad you caught that. You made me spit coke all over my computer with your comment on always having gas. :facepalm:

As to the amount/depth of dust accumulation, that would vary according to several things. I was always a neat freak and kept my water heater dusted off. Regardless, the water heater doesn't appear to be an old, out-dated model.

Are you thinking JonBenet was flung into a cast-iron pipe in that area?

I can't really see any reason for JonBenet to have been in the basement at that time of night after an extremely busy day or even on a normal day. Girls that age are afraid of basements, especially creepy secluded areas in basements. There has to be something that places her down there while she was alive, something that can be proved or at least reasonably expected and I don't see that yet but I'll listen.

Scroll down to post #4.

Otg, I erred. It was a small cylindrical shape against a sphere. Glad you caught that. You made me spit coke all over my computer with your comment on always having gas. :facepalm:

As to the amount/depth of dust accumulation, that would vary according to several things. I was always a neat freak and kept my water heater dusted off. Regardless, the water heater doesn't appear to be an old, out-dated model.

I can't really see any reason for JonBenet to have been in the basement at that time of night after an extremely busy day or even on a normal day. Girls that age are afraid of basements, especially creepy secluded areas in basements. There has to be something that places her down there while she was alive, something that can be proved or at least reasonably expected and I don't see that yet but I'll listen.

Thank you.

I can't tell by looking at that 5 gallon bucket what is in it. It could be pieces of pipe, pipe wrenches, etc. Is that what you think was used? Would it be the correct diameter?
I remember reading about a leak and the house was flooded - does anyone remember? If you look at the long pipe on the right side of the tank, the midsection has not been painted, but there was paint below and above it. Could that have been where it was repaired after the leak, and possibly some of the left over or unused pipe were put n the bucket?

That could be where the repair was made. It's hard to tell from the picture but I think that pipe goes into (or out of) the boiler. The water heater has a hot and cold on top, a pressure relief valve/overflow pipe, and a gas pipe. I don't see what a 5th pipe would be for, on a water heater. But it doesn't change anything in your question. Yes, the might have been repaired.

Darlene,

It's been so long ago but I think the leak was upstairs in the master suite. I want to say I read about it Death of Innocence but my memory is poor.

Lead pipes? Were they removing the old and possible lead plumbing pipes. Lead pipes can do a lot of damage with little effort (think a cosh )

I've got it! It was the "intruder" in the boiler room with the water heater! :floorlaugh:

OTG you've got me....I see the same things everyone is mentioning, but apparently I'm missing what you're seeing. Fill us in!

otg,

I've slept on this and here's all I can come up with. If certain things about the water heater are brand new and dust-free are you thinking that a piece or two of pipe were replaced to remove evidence involving JonBenet's death, i.e. evidence involving a possible weapon?

<still laughing over your gas :floorlaugh:>

(bbm)

Scroll down to post #4.

I wasn’t thinking that, but I’m only trying to match the depressed fracture to the shape and size of the object that caused it first. As you know, I am of the opinion (at this time) that the object hit her, but I can’t yet completely discard the possibility that she hit the object. I know that you (and others) still think that is the more likely case, but we can figure out later (hopefully) if it is possible (or maybe even more likely) that she was flung into the object that would cause the same fractures in her skull. Just like you, I’m trying to figure this thing out as we go. We may not always agree on everything, but I do think we’re coming to a better understanding of what the evidence is telling us.

Lead pipes? Were they removing the old and possible lead plumbing pipes. Lead pipes can do a lot of damage with little effort (think a cosh )
Anne, I think the original hellhole was first constructed after lead pipes were no longer being used. But even the iron pipe used today is pretty heavy.

And I couldn’t think about a “cosh” -- ‘cos I never heard of one until you mentioned it. :waitasec: But I looked it up. I had never heard that word before.

BTW, lead piping goes back to the Roman Empire. It was used because it was soft and malleable -- it could be easily bent to fit where it was needed. The Latin word for lead is “plumbum”, which is why its symbol on the Periodic Table of Elements is “Pb”. And since it was the primary material used by the people who made the waterlines way-back-when, the builders who used plumbum came to be known as “plumbers”. I kid you not. And my own speculation is that they chose to call them plumbers because they didn't want to call them leaders. :dance:

I've got it! It was the "intruder" in the boiler room with the water heater! :floorlaugh:

OTG you've got me....I see the same things everyone is mentioning, but apparently I'm missing what you're seeing. Fill us in!
Ha! Clue. Hey, wait a minute. Weren’t two of the weapons in that game a rope and a lead pipe? Hmmmmmmmmmm....... Anne11: Are you still reading this?

otg,

I've slept on this and here's all I can come up with. If certain things about the water heater are brand new and dust-free are you thinking that a piece or two of pipe were replaced to remove evidence involving JonBenet's death, i.e. evidence involving a possible weapon?
No, that one didn’t occur to me, BOESP. I don’t think anyone (even JR with his millions) could get a plumber (see above) to come out in the middle of the night just after Christmas. And it would be even less likely that JR would ever even consider touching a plumber’s tool... Uhhhhhh... wrench.

<still laughing over your gas :floorlaugh:>
Hey, you brought yours up first (I only realized that I had never had electric).

And on that note, today’s Tip of the Day will be: “Nitrous oxide abuse is no laughing matter.”
:groucho:
(
Get it? Laughing... Gas...
Oh, well. G'night all.):nevermind:

<snipped ... not sure if we're being respectful or not:angel:)

:laugh: And it would be even less likely that JR would ever even consider touching a plumber’s tool... Uhhhhhh... wrench.

Hey, you brought yours up first (I only realized that I had never had electric).

And on that note, today’s Tip of the Day will be: “Nitrous oxide abuse is no laughing matter.”
:groucho:
(
Get it? Laughing... Gas...
Oh, well. G'night all.):nevermind:
:yourock:

otg;9529900 said:
(snipped by me)
Just like you, I’m trying to figure this thing out as we go. We may not always agree on everything, but I do think we’re coming to a better understanding of what the evidence is telling us.

Yes, and your ability to apply so much logic to your posts is so admirable.

And it would be even less likely that JR would ever even consider touching a plumber’s tool... Uhhhhhh... wrench.

Probably not to repair or replace a leaking water heater, but how about grabbing one like this:
http://mobiledistributorsupply.com/.../ca4f303bc0fac7461b701f13f8b52ee8/P/W/PW8.jpg
out of the bucket near the boiler furnace, possibly left there by construction workers during the basement renovation, and used to "make sure she was dead", as JR opined in DOI??

My old house always had a bucket near the hot water heater, the dehumidifier and the ac. Given that this is the basement, I wonder if one of those things was dripping or collecting condensate? My dehumidifier was in the basement and some part of that was always dripping- like 1 drop an hour- not enough to bother to fix but enough that put a bucket there.

Also, you are supposed to occasionally drain a little bit out of the hot water heater to check for sediment, though I doubt the Ramsey's worried about that.

We've got a bucket near the water heater because it has a pressure release valve that seems to be over-reactive (rubbish french plumbing)
So the thinking is that JBR was thrown or hit against the piping, I wonder how much velocity would be needed for a head injury like that and again would there further injury say to her neck or in her brain ( coup -contre coup )

Other than the pipes to left of the boiler I cannot see anything to hand that could be used to whack JonBenet.

If Kolar's theory is correct and it all began in the breakfast bar, then something about the size of your average wine-bottle could have been used?

I'm not saying it must be a wine-bottle just some household object which is just as heavy and robust, and later when observed might raise no immediate suspicion.

The flashlight falls into this category, and if BR used it to stage an accident, via a head injury, then this might explain why it was wiped clean, including the batteries, he may have changed them for new ones, due to extended use in the basement.

Other than the touch dna on the pink barbie nightgown BR appears to have no link with the wine-cellar, does this suggest his non-involvement or alike the flashlight was evidence airbrushed from view?

otg;9529900 said:
(snipped by me)

Yes, and your ability to apply so much logic to your posts is so admirable.

Probably not to repair or replace a leaking water heater, but how about grabbing one like this:
http://mobiledistributorsupply.com/.../ca4f303bc0fac7461b701f13f8b52ee8/P/W/PW8.jpg
out of the bucket near the boiler furnace, possibly left there by construction workers during the basement renovation, and used to "make sure she was dead", as JR opined in DOI??

The garrotte makes sure she's dead. With the knot at the back tight and deep into the skin the garrotte does the job even if it started out as an accident. That would have been obvious to the killer(s) ? Maybe not.

I wish I could tell what is in that bucket. There is something hanging slightly over the edge of the bucket. Could it be a piece of elbow pipe? If BR saw someone hit JB, or he did it himself, she could have been hit with the curved pipe, using the longer section of it for a handle - just like a hammer.

hsue4j.gif

Sorry, I am not good with the picture posting thing, so bear with me. The photo I am trying to post here is Crime Scene photo #73, basement, which is the same area that otg posted previously, except his is free from the items shown in #73.
(Click on photo below to enlarge or go to URL)
#73 Ramsey Basement Photo.jpg
http://crimeshots.com/csvent.jpg

I'm confused - is #73 from the first run through the house by detectives taking photos of the crime scene? In the one posted by otg, there is a red X and circling around the drip leg, and this piping looks to be tape wrapped also. If a replaced piece of pipe, which Darlene speculates hanging out of the bucket was also tape wrapped, would it account for less damage to the skull - no scalp wound? If #73 was taken before the items were cleared away to provide a picture of the piping leading to the water heater, it looks like those screens/windows could have been a deterrent for JB's head to have struck that piping that is attached to the water heater in the photo otg posted?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme
Back