JonBenet's Skull Fractures: The Weapon

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is an excerpt from "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town." I'm going to type it in (and hopefully ya'll will read it) and then I'll comment, below:

Ppg. 497-99: (This is the excerpt in the book referencing the FBI meeting with various members of the Boulder Police Department, the Boulder DA's office and others, at some time the following year, after the murder.)

"...The experts thought that the ransom note was written by someone intelligent but not criminally sophisticated. Someone who had planned a kidnapping in advance would have tried to impress the parents with how great a game he or she posed. Words like we and us, my group, we're large, and we're big, were absent. In the note, the kidnappers called themselves a "small foreign faction." That raised the question, foreign to whom? From whose point of view were they writing? Real foreigners would not refer to themselves as foreign. Here the author of the note had made a mistake, showing some weakness. There were also some inconsistencies: the note began formally, addressing "Mr. Ramsey," but toward the end addressed "John."

"The FBI experts pointed out that every item involved in the crime seemed to have come from inside the house, including the pad, the pen, and the broken paintbrush. They believed the duct tape and the rope for the ligature had most likely been purchased by Patsy Ramsey sometime in December. Nothing seemed to have come from outside the house. There was no evidence that anyone had turned on the lights during the crime, trying to find their way around an unfamiliar house. One agent told the assembled group; Is this an offender who came to the scene totally unprepared to do anything? If you were to believe that a stranger killed JonBenet, it would have to be someone very comfortable at the scene-which is very atypical. Kidnappers are usually in and out in a heartbeat. Just look at the Polly Klaas case. They don't kill and then hang around to write a two-and-a-half page bogus note. And why choose, of all nights, Christmas, when someone else, maybe a guest staying with the family, could wander in? If the perpetrator had enough time to write the note at the Ramseys' home, he had enough time to take the victim alive or to take the dead body somewhere else. Then there was the scream. If it was loud enough for a neighbor to hear, a stranger wouldn't have hung around. After all, the parents might hear it and respond to their child's cry for help. Maybe the family dog would wake the sleeping parents? After all, who knew besides those living inside the house that that night the dog would be staying with the Barnhills?"

"To the FBI profilers, the time spent staging the crime scene and hiding the body pointed to a killer who had asked, "How do I explain this?" and had answered the question: "A stranger did it." The staging suggested a killer desperate to divert attention."

"Moreover, there was STAGING WITHIN STAGING. The loop of cord around one wrist was not a real indicatoin that JonBenet had been restrained. The ligature that suffocated JonBenet-though she would eventually hae died from the head injury-was in their opinion an unusual cover-up attempt, if that was what it was. The way the cord had been made into a noose-with the stick tied 17 inches from the knot-suggested staging rather than a bona fide attempt to strangle JonBenet. It suggested that the killer was a manipulative person, with the courage to believe that he or she could control the subsequent investigation. In short, everything about the crime indicated an attempt at self-preservation on the part of the killer."

"On the other hand, the killer cared about the victim and wanted her found. He or she didn't want JonBenet outside in the dead of winter in the middle of the night. The child had been wrapped in a white blanket, her Barbie nightgown found lying next to her. Such caring and solicitude were not usually associated with a malevolent criminal."

"Neither the behavioral nor the technical experts had ever seen a parental killing of a child that involved both a fatal injury and garroting, but that was a statistical detail, not evidence". And after reviewing what was known aboaut the points of entry to the house, the open window, the shoe imprint, the palm print on the wine cellar door and the partial palm print on the ramsom note-neither of which could be dated with certainty-the FBI told the visitors from Boulder that there was no hard evidence to indicate that an intruder had entered the house that night."

"This was their best assessment of the crime scene, the FBI said. Where the Ramseys might or might not fit into it was up to the Boulder PD to determine. The circumstances seemed to rule out the involvement of a stranger. Nevertheless, it was a possibility, however remote."

I (Bayareamom) personally feel this next portion of this excerpt is the most important:

"The police then mentioned the Ramseys' behavior immediately after the body was found: the fact that John Ramsey was ready to fly to Atlanta with his wife and son and leave his daughter's body--and the investigation into her murder--behind; the refusal to cooperate with the police; and the hiring of criminal attorneys."

"In reply, the FBI experts pointed out that no two people respond to trauma and grief the same way, and that the police should not overanalyze what they had observed. Most of the time, the parents of a victim are all over the police. "Why the hell haven't you caught my child's killer?" "What's going on? I want to know everything." In this case, the police had to acknowledge that it was their own Commander's actions that had led to the long postponement of the parents' interviews."

"The police also mentioned that the Ramseys had separate attorneys. Did this imply separate liabilities? They wondered aloud if one parent had knowledge of the crime before the fact, and the other had knowledge after the fact. The FBI had no answers to these speculations."

otg,

You stated, above: ..."But I don’t see it as the “brutal murder” that so many others see it as. For this reason, I can’t help but sympathize with every member of the family for the tragic circumstances that they had to deal with..."

I could not agree with you more. I have always had genuine compassion for this family, so yes, this would mean for John, Patsy, Burke -- of course, JonBenet -- and all those of whom have been emotionally impacted in some form with this case (including members of the police department, etc.).

I read through your post, otg. Very well laid out, I must say! And thank you for being so polite in your response. Yes, I have given this case considerable thought throughout the years, but it's only been just recently that I've found myself wondering about this case yet again, with the advent of Kolar's book.

In reading the above portion of Schiller's book last night, however, it more than validated - FOR ME - what I've stated in my previous posts. Yes, I do understand the 'discrepancy' when I stated that this was a murder, but then indicate that I strongly feel this event was accidental.

It's both. JonBenet was, indeed, murdered, but not intentionally. Death occurred, whether intentional or not, yes?

I guess working in the legal field for as long as I did, taught me a few things; namely, to keep a keen eye on the 'small' details - details of which are often missed by most others. You have to be almost overly critical in this industry, lest you get sued over, some times, the smallest of details. So you learn to dot your i's and cross your t's - doubly so.

I see a LOT of focus on the part of many looking at this case as to the behavior of the Ramsey Team. But if I'd been a part of that detective team in Boulder, I would have asked that they refrain from focusing too much as to how the Ramsey attorneys were behaving with their clients and FOCUS on the bigger picture - that lovely little girl. For the Ramsey attorneys were just simply doing their jobs - and a good job they all did. They did what they were SUPPOSED to do for their clients, as distasteful as this may seem to a lot of you. I DO understand the anger of so many as pertains to the issues with the Ramsey attorneys. However, every person in this country is constitutionally given the right to representation by counsel, to THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY. This means ANYONE, guilty or not. Our legal system isn't perfect, but nothing is.

The media's hand in all of this has a HUGE impact as to perception of the public re: this case. Personally, I would disallow ANY evidence in a case still under investigation from going public UNTIL the case was ready to go to trial, but that's just me. I feel the media had a huge hand in the demise of this case. Just reading about all the politics involved in this case was enough to make my head spin...AGAIN.

So - otg - yes, I have looked at this case frontwards and backwards, and have come to the conclusions that I have. Again, in re-reading Wecht's book, Kolar's book and now, Perfect Murder, I see that the police investigated the you know what out of John and found absolutely NOTHING to indicate anything in his past, to lead anyone to suspect John of abuse and/or the murder of JonBenet.

Patsy, on the other hand, doesn't get this kind of a pass. There was a plethora of information - sometimes so hidden so as to be glossed over - which indicates Patsy's obsession with perfection, drama and the need to control. Some of those issues with Patsy, were overt, some were less so - almost tenuous at best. Patsy's character has so much to do with what happened here...

I do not believe for one moment that JonBenet had been garroted during some sort of 'sex' play, prior to her death. I listened to Wecht's interview with Tricia just last night. While I admire him very, very much, I completely disagree with SOME of his conclusions; I believe that many within the Boulder Police Department do, as well.

As I've stated, I believe that those vaginal injuries in that child were the direct result of corporal punishment - inflicted by her mother because of severe toileting issues. JonBenet was still wetting her bed on almost a nightly basis at the age of SIX YEARS. This indicates, from what I understand, the 'potential' possibility of emotional trauma, aggravated by an overly aggressive, controlling, manipulative mother.

I should know; had one of those myself. So yes, we all have our own personal dog in the race, as they say. That's mine. I, too, had a mother who was overly controlling, not nearly as bad as Patsy, but nonetheless, somewhat similar. We weren't wealthy by any means, but still, people tended to believe that we had this perfect family.

We did not.

But that was the PERCEPTION. Now there was absolutely no sexual abuse and no toilet/bed-wetting issues in my family, but my Mom ended up having some shall we say emotional issues later on in her life and believe me when I say, it scared the living crud out of me. She went, on one occasion, from this seemingly normal person, to this person I didn't even recognize - in ONE SMALL MINUTE. She was hospitalized, but then released, with no diagnosis. They could find nothing wrong with her, other than some sort of personality disorder (possibly, no one really knew).

It was horrific. I KNOW seemingly NORMAL people CAN SNAP...I've seen it myself. So perhaps this is why I have a real mirror like perception into Patsy's behavior...

...she reminds me so MUCH of my Mom.

So having shared that with all of you, for better or for worse, I think that having lived with someone so very similar to Patsy Ramsey for the better part of 22 years, clearly adds to my own perceptions about this case. And then, given my own legal background (and the fact that I am now married to an attorney), gives me somewhat of an additional understanding as to how all of this played out.

I will enjoy, however, and appreciate, the many thoughtful posts and comments I see here at Websleuths!

You guys are great! :dance:

(snipped for brevity -- and bolded for humor):
...And then, given my own legal background (and the fact that I am now married to an attorney), gives me somewhat of an additional understanding as to how all of this played out.
I'm so sorry for your misfortune, BAM. :giggle: (I'll have to remember not to tell any more lawyer jokes.)

Thank you for your heartfelt response. I understand what you're saying, and I'm not 100% BDI. Right now (and actually for a long time) it seems most likely to me, but I would much rather believe it was IDI. But even though I would rather believe it, it's the only thing I think I can rule out completely.

Oh, otg, I've heard more than my fair share of attorney jokes - I can take it! :D:D

By the by - my husband isn't a litigator. He helps design corporate health plan benefit packages, so it's all good! He's a great guy and truly my best friend. I consider myself to be extremely blessed to have him in my life; been together for almost 24 years now!

respectfully skip

Patsy, on the other hand, doesn't get this kind of a pass. There was a plethora of information - sometimes so hidden so as to be glossed over - which indicates Patsy's obsession with perfection, drama and the need to control. Some of those issues with Patsy, were overt, some were less so - almost tenuous at best. Patsy's character has so much to do with what happened here...

I do not believe for one moment that JonBenet had been garroted during some sort of 'sex' play, prior to her death. I listened to Wecht's interview with Tricia just last night. While I admire him very, very much, I completely disagree with SOME of his conclusions; I believe that many within the Boulder Police Department do, as well.

As I've stated, I believe that those vaginal injuries in that child were the direct result of corporal punishment - inflicted by her mother because of severe toileting issues. JonBenet was still wetting her bed on almost a nightly basis at the age of SIX YEARS. This indicates, from what I understand, the 'potential' possibility of emotional trauma, aggravated by an overly aggressive, controlling, manipulative mother.

I should know; had one of those myself. So yes, we all have our own personal dog in the race, as they say. That's mine. I, too, had a mother who was overly controlling, not nearly as bad as Patsy, but nonetheless, somewhat similar. We weren't wealthy by any means, but still, people tended to believe that we had this perfect family.

We did not.

But that was the PERCEPTION. Now there was absolutely no sexual abuse and no toilet/bed-wetting issues in my family, but my Mom ended up having some shall we say emotional issues later on in her life and believe me when I say, it scared the living crud out of me. She went, on one occasion, from this seemingly normal person, to this person I didn't even recognize - in ONE SMALL MINUTE. She was hospitalized, but then released, with no diagnosis. They could find nothing wrong with her, other than some sort of personality disorder (possibly, no one really knew).

It was horrific. I KNOW seemingly NORMAL people CAN SNAP...I've seen it myself. So perhaps this is why I have a real mirror like perception into Patsy's behavior...

So having shared that with all of you, for better or for worse, I think that having lived with someone so very similar to Patsy Ramsey for the better part of 22 years, clearly adds to my own perceptions about this case. And then, given my own legal background (and the fact that I am now married to an attorney), gives me somewhat of an additional understanding as to how all of this played out.

I will enjoy, however, and appreciate, the many thoughtful posts and comments I see here at Websleuths!

Dear Bayareamom,

...something to read for your brave soul...and let God help to heal your heart-breaking memories...

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/characteristics-of-borderline-personality-disorder/

<snipped>
Steve Thomas had to invent special circumstances to explain away JonBenet's molestation both chronic and acute.

Pardon my bluntness but what would those inventions be and how do you know this?

Linda Hoffman-Pugh also stated she heard screaming from the bathroom several times when Patsy took JonBenet into the bathroom for .... what? cleaning? No one really knows except JonBenet and Patsy.

BOESP,

Aw. So THAT's where I heard about the screaming - Linda Hoffman-Pugh stated this? Wow. Gawd, this just makes me cringe. Poor kid.

otg,

You stated, above: ..."But I don’t see it as the “brutal murder” that so many others see it as. For this reason, I can’t help but sympathize with every member of the family for the tragic circumstances that they had to deal with..."

I could not agree with you more. I have always had genuine compassion for this family, so yes, this would mean for John, Patsy, Burke -- of course, JonBenet -- and all those of whom have been emotionally impacted in some form with this case (including members of the police department, etc.).

I read through your post, otg. Very well laid out, I must say! And thank you for being so polite in your response. Yes, I have given this case considerable thought throughout the years, but it's only been just recently that I've found myself wondering about this case yet again, with the advent of Kolar's book.

In reading the above portion of Schiller's book last night, however, it more than validated - FOR ME - what I've stated in my previous posts. Yes, I do understand the 'discrepancy' when I stated that this was a murder, but then indicate that I strongly feel this event was accidental.

It's both. JonBenet was, indeed, murdered, but not intentionally. Death occurred, whether intentional or not, yes?

I guess working in the legal field for as long as I did, taught me a few things; namely, to keep a keen eye on the 'small' details - details of which are often missed by most others. You have to be almost overly critical in this industry, lest you get sued over, some times, the smallest of details. So you learn to dot your i's and cross your t's - doubly so.

I see a LOT of focus on the part of many looking at this case as to the behavior of the Ramsey Team. But if I'd been a part of that detective team in Boulder, I would have asked that they refrain from focusing too much as to how the Ramsey attorneys were behaving with their clients and FOCUS on the bigger picture - that lovely little girl. For the Ramsey attorneys were just simply doing their jobs - and a good job they all did. They did what they were SUPPOSED to do for their clients, as distasteful as this may seem to a lot of you. I DO understand the anger of so many as pertains to the issues with the Ramsey attorneys. However, every person in this country is constitutionally given the right to representation by counsel, to THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY. This means ANYONE, guilty or not. Our legal system isn't perfect, but nothing is.

The media's hand in all of this has a HUGE impact as to perception of the public re: this case. Personally, I would disallow ANY evidence in a case still under investigation from going public UNTIL the case was ready to go to trial, but that's just me. I feel the media had a huge hand in the demise of this case. Just reading about all the politics involved in this case was enough to make my head spin...AGAIN.

So - otg - yes, I have looked at this case frontwards and backwards, and have come to the conclusions that I have. Again, in re-reading Wecht's book, Kolar's book and now, Perfect Murder, I see that the police investigated the you know what out of John and found absolutely NOTHING to indicate anything in his past, to lead anyone to suspect John of abuse and/or the murder of JonBenet.

We did not.

BAM, welcome back and thank you for your well thought out and articulate posts.

We all are a product of our background. You being of a legal background, working for defense attorneys IIRC, and having a mother that reminds you of PR is bound to color your perspective. I would agree that the RST did a spectacular job of defending their clients! And yes, everyone has a right to be defended in a court of law. Innocent until proven guilty..... I imagine that if your loved one was butally murdered you'd have a different feeling about a defense attorney so vigorously defending their murderer. How can you say that no one in the BPD had sight of the big picture, JB? Granted not all, but there were some detectives that sacrificed their whole lives for this case! Something NONE of the Ramsey attorneys did!

Let me ask you something. If PR was guilty of the prior "abuse" or what ever it is you wish to call it, due to JB's continued bed wetting/soiling issues, then why didn't BR suffer the same abuse? He was known to still wet/soil the bed at almost 10 yrs old. Why did PR reserve her "corporal punishment" for JB alone?

You also seem to overlook the fact that the GJ indicted BOTH JR & PR. Just because LE's investigation didn't turn up any evidence of prior abuse of a child by JR does NOT mean that he didn't have a prior history. You of all people should know that before one of these pedophiles is caught they have typically abused many, many children before hand. How many priests were caught abusing a child only to find out that it wasn't the first, or second, or fiftieth child they'd abused? That "he had no prior history" argument holds absolutely no water. The prisons, and unfotunately the public, are full of people that were not caught until they had numerous victims.

BOESP,

Aw. So THAT's where I heard about the screaming - Linda Hoffman-Pugh stated this? Wow. Gawd, this just makes me cringe. Poor kid.

Yes, it is an awful case. Patsy also remarked that she had "flash backs" of hearing John coming up the stairs from the basement screaming. Now, Linda Arndt didn't mention him screaming when he brought the dead JonBenet up the day she was "discovered." And you can't have flash backs unless you have actually seen, done, or participated in them. They aren't dreams; flash-backs are mental images of a prior real event that comes back to mind periodically). Makes me wonder when John really screamed!

And :welcome5:

Nom,

What makes you feel I am overlooking the fact that BOTH JR and PR were indicted? First, the threshold for an indictment by a Grand Jury is probable cause, far lower than the 'beyond reasonable doubt' needed to convict BOTH PARENTS in a trial.

Two, JR could have been indicted for his role in the cover-up ALONE; Patsy's indictment could have been based on the assumption that she'd written the ransom note and the other indicators that she was involved with either the murder and/or the cover-up as well.

Further, like it or not, EVEN A MURDERER has the right to be defended - this IS the way our legal system is set up and this is how it works. But having said that, what in the world makes you feel from my posts (if you'd read them thoroughly) that I have no respect for the hard work of the police department and the detectives working on this case? That's an entirely unfair assumption and just is not true.

For your information, I corresponded briefly with Thomas after that whole issue with his book came about, with the Ramseys. I SO much admire this man and some of the others of whom I KNOW were passionate about this case. They gave their lives to this murder investigation and some lost their marriages and careers because of it.

Also, where is it DOCUMENTED that Burke DIDN'T suffer some sort of corporal punishment by Patsy Ramsey? Can you find that for me, Nom? OR could it possibly be that this may have been one of those pieces of information that didn't get out to the general public and is being held close to the vest? I don't know, I'm just saying that there is a boatload of information, I am certain, on this case that has never been released. And that's as it should be.

Look, Nom - you cannot have a free and democratic society UNLESS ALL who participate in that society have the same rights as everyone else. And like it or not, this means those that are PRESUMED innocent until proven guilty.

Nom,

It was up to the Ramsey Team attorneys to do their jobs; it was up to the police department personnel, i.e., the various police officers, detectives and those working in the DA's office and all the other peripheral folks involved in this case...

...to either bring this case to fruition and to trial, or keep it going until they felt they had enough evidence to charge someone. This was the police department's job to do so; unfortunately, it didn't happen. Hunter did not feel he had enough to take this case to trial. Frankly, even given my issues with the politics played by the DA's office, I think that was the correct decision. One thing I don't think any of us would have liked to have witnessed, was to have had this case go to trial and see a hung jury.

I blame the media in part and all the darned politics that played out in this case - on ALL sides. This case was SO out of hand; egos got in the way of the investigation. This TEAM of experts - on all sides trying to solve this case - got caught up in something far bigger than they'd ever had to deal with before. They simply did not know how to cope with the massive media attention and public blow-out. This case was like a handful of jello; slipped through everyone's fingers faster than a mouse runs to cheese.

Additionally, Burke's behavior with that psychiatrist that interviewed him (when he covered up his face with the game board when asked about improper touching)...

...could have been because HE had been improperly handled/touched by Patsy as well. This could also have been the very reason that Patsy was so nervous when Burke was being interviewed by the psychiatrist.

I've read up a lot on this case and I do not recall seeing any factual documentation or statement which indicated that Burke did not suffer, at times, at the hands of his Mother re: behavioral issues. Has anyone else?

So again, we are perhaps basing opinions on the assumption that Burke was never improperly touched by Patsy. I would say the chances are that if JonBenet had been punished unduly at her Mother's hands, then so was Burke.

And like it or not, ALL of us have our own colored glasses on when it comes to life and how we view things. That's not necessarily a bad thing, Nom. I'll wager you have your own perspective on this case due to various issues in your own life as well.

Intuition kicks in at some point for me, too, as to various issues in this case. I've learned throughout my years. to TRUST that, as hard as that may be at times.

Pardon my bluntness but what would those inventions be and how do you know this?

Linda Hoffman-Pugh also stated she heard screaming from the bathroom several times when Patsy took JonBenet into the bathroom for .... what? cleaning? No one really knows except JonBenet and Patsy.
and I have to wonder what JR did about these bathroom fights? just ignore them? what about the blood curdling scream that woke up a neighbor? just ignored that too? No, I'll never see JR as an innocent bystander or victim. moo

dodie20,

Gotta ask - what does MOO mean at the end of your posts? Just curious.

Aaahh.....good old First Amendment. Each of us RDI's, whether PDI, JDI or BDI are, as has been said, sure to see this case through their own different colored glasses. None of us would be here if it weren't for the fact that many more qualified people than we, have gone over much more information than we will ever know, and still have not been able to put enough of it together to make an arrest. Guess each of us should consider that we are in good company, right?

Imagine if an IDI gets to have the last laugh one day!

Will we ever see the final answer? I hope so. And I don't care who is right about which theory. Just as long as a chargeable person who was there when that ligature was tightened is finally called to account. :jail:

Ah, but that person may never be known OR may already have left this realm and have already been 'judged' by someone else. Who knows. Karma can be a tricky thing; I believe that justice will be served, whether it's down here or up there...some day, by this person.

dodie,

Don't forget - it's been stated by John (and perhaps verified?) that he had taken a melatonin tablet before retiring that evening.

I'm not familiar with that type medication, nor with its side effects, but I would dare speculate that IF it's true that he'd taken melatonin that night, he may really not have heard the scream that night.

Ah, thanks. Couldn't figure that out...

Hmmm...in regards of Burke. It was stated that Burke's behavior (bedwetting) has been improving since JB was born...so, if follow your line of thoughts, Patsy's attention has been shifted to 'mini-me'....isn't?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back