Jose Baez Both Homes in Foreclosure

I don't get this (buying taxes).

I can try to explain it very loosely. First, it varies by state. However, I happen to know someone who did this. If I understood him correctly, he went to the 'tax sale' and paid the unpaid taxes. At that point he 'owned' the home. I guess because I know he moved into it. :waitasec: (I assume the mortgage lender went after the orginal person to whom the loan was granted...I really don't know how the mortgage company works that out...) Anyway, I know that the original owner had 2 years (again, a state thing - it was 2 yrs. in Alabama) to pay the outstanding tax bill in their name. If so, they could resume ownership. I just know the guy I know that did it, got a very nice home. He just waited 2 yrs. before he put any money into it (renovations, etc...), just in case he had to forfeit it. He has been living in it 5 yrs now and owns it outright. Maybe he just got lucky, I dunno.

I'm not trying to be ugly and I have not followed Caylee's case very close here at WS, but I have to ask this...

What does Baez' home being in foreclosure or how much his suits cost have to do with Caylee?

Very much so....it affects their credit score drastically. It used to be that you could file a Chap. 13 bankruptcy, put the arrearage in the repayment plan and reaffirm with the lender. However, you had to stay extremely current or the mortgage company would file a motion to lift stay and BOOM! you were forced out. However, I am not as knowledgable about the bankruptcy laws since the big change in 2005, so I am not positive that can be done. Also, those laws can vary a little per state.

Thanks, that's what I thought. There must be ways around it then because how do you buy another house or car if you don't have cash? Then every time someone does that (credit cards, etc.) others absorb the losses. I know, let's keep farming out jobs overseas. Sorry - way off topic.

I think JB is willing to let both of these properties "go" ... as he most likely anticipates making so much money in the near future, he can then buy as many new homes as he wants.
OH?? Is that the way to go??? Can Mr B. be?

I don't get this (buying taxes).

THe buyer is in essence bidding in hopes of making money on their initial investment. The county gets their money WITHOUT having to foreclose, and gets it sooner.

An example... 123 Maple Drive has $5000 in delinquent property taxes. The County decides they want their money (and they aren't getting it) they offer the "outstanding tax bill" up for bid.

Joe and others bid on that bill. That means they are willing to pay it off and in essence finance the debt. Joe bids at 8% but Larry bids at 7%.

The tax certificate is awarded to Larry as the County must find the best option for the party who will end up paying.

When that debt is finally paid to Larry (via a mortgage lender or the property owner)...he "makes money" on his investment.

Does that help a little?

I don't know about other States but in FL. buying the tax certificate does not mean you own the home. See my original post about lien position.

THis is NOT the same as buying a property via auction. THis is simply an action taken (by the County) to recover unpaid taxes.

THink about all the services that our property taxes cover...public schools, emergency services, etc... If the County doesn't collect that money everyone loses.

I'm not trying to be ugly and I have not followed Caylee's case very close here at WS, but I have to ask this...

What does Baez' home being in foreclosure or how much his suits cost have to do with Caylee?

Alot of people think he's not above board. We're bored and waiting for more discovey to be released. We don't trust him so we're running across more reasons why we don't. Character counts - the motto at our local Jr. High!

I think JB is willing to let both of these properties "go" ... as he most likely anticipates making so much money in the near future, he can then buy as many new homes as he wants.

LOL! What's that old saying about wishes??? Maybe somebody should tell him that fantasies only really come true in Disneyworld. Sorry JB....it isn't the whole community of Orlando. Just Disney.

Alot of people think he's not above board. We're bored and waiting for more discovey to be released. We don't trust him so we're running across more reasons why we don't. Character counts - the motto at our local Jr. High!

Ok, I understand being bored and character counts. But, I don't get why slathering an attorney's personal finance records has anything at all to do with Caylee.
How he presents himself in the courtroom yes. House and wardrobe expenses, no.

JMO

I understand what you are saying. Basically a master WSer, nums, broke this story a month or so ago. nums scooped even the local media. It's relevance as far as many are concerned is because since Casey was granted indigency status, the hardworking Florida tax paying citizens are financing her defense. Baez blew through almost $300,000 that he had been paid (over $200k off of the sale of Caylee photos, etc) w/o being able to account for all the expenditures. So, the man is not the most fiscally responsible person and he is now spending the $$$$ of honest, hard-working Floridians.

Directly it does not have anything to do with Caylee, indirectly JB is what has slowed justice for Caylee, in my humble opinion. This is just another illustration of how far in over his head he is.

http://www.wesh.com/video/24427582/detail.html

snipped from http://www.wesh.com/news/24425702/detail.html:

At the time the state chose to see the death penalty against Anthony, Deen said Baez should have asked himself whether he was qualified to remain on the case and whether he could afford it.

"You don't talk about the business end of it, but that's part of it. That's a huge part of it," Deen said.

I understand what you are saying. Basically a master WSer, nums, broke this story a month or so ago. He scooped even before the local media. It's relevance as far as many are concerned is because since Casey was granted indigency status, the hardworking Florida tax paying citizens are financing her defense. Baez blew through almost $300,000 that he had been paid (over $200k off of the sale of Caylee photos, etc) w/o being able to account for all the expenditures. So, the man is not the most fiscally responsible person and he is now spending the $$$$ of honest, hard-working Floridians.

Well, he obviously didn't spend it on his house.

I could understand sleuthing past cases, how he handles himself in a courtroom, who he has represented before....you know that kind of stuff.
But, foreclosure is his personal business. Has nothing to do with Casey/Caylee.

BTW, I can't stand him either. I think as an attorney, he's a snake. But, IMO his personal life should not be posted everywhere. He has not comitted a crime. He is not a POI or a suspect.

I just think it kinda crosses a WS line. JMO

Directly it does not have anything to do with Caylee, indirectly JB is what has slowed justice for Caylee, in my humble opinion. This is just another illustration of how far in over his head he is.

http://www.wesh.com/video/24427582/detail.html

snipped from http://www.wesh.com/news/24425702/detail.html:

At the time the state chose to see the death penalty against Anthony, Deen said Baez should have asked himself whether he was qualified to remain on the case and whether he could afford it.

"You don't talk about the business end of it, but that's part of it. That's a huge part of it," Deen said.

I agree he's over his head in the courtroom.

I understand what you are saying. Basically a master WSer, nums, broke this story a month or so ago. He scooped even before the local media. It's relevance as far as many are concerned is because since Casey was granted indigency status, the hardworking Florida tax paying citizens are financing her defense. Baez blew through almost $300,000 that he had been paid (over $200k off of the sale of Caylee photos, etc) w/o being able to account for all the expenditures. So, the man is not the most fiscally responsible person and he is now spending the $$$$ of honest, hard-working Floridians.

As always, you explained this so eloquently! Thank you Beach.

Ok, I just wanted to ask my question.
Thanks for the answers.

Ok, I understand being bored and character counts. But, I don't get why slathering an attorney's personal finance records has anything at all to do with Caylee.
How he presents himself in the courtroom yes. House and wardrobe expenses, no.

JMO

I call it karma, look at what JB has done to so many ~INNOCENT~ people in this case, first and foremost Mr. Kronk, releasing unsworn testimony from his ex-wives? Accusing him of the crime?

I understand and respect the opinion that Kimberlyd125 has.

I also understand and respect the interest in the foreclosure.

In the State of Florida, foreclosure records are part of Public Records.

Given that a privately retained attorney should demonstrate a level of "fiscal responsibility" regarding their client, discussion about JB's "fiscal habits" (of Public Record) is not inappropriate, provided that it does relate to the case.

Discussion about his foreclosure does NOT automatically cross the line (IMO) if posts discuss it in relation to the case.

KWIM??????

Given that a privately retained attorney should demonstrate a level of "fiscal responsibility" regarding their client, discussion about JB's "fiscal habits" (of Public Record) is not inappropriate, provided that it does relate to the case.

Discussion about his foreclosure does NOT automatically cross the line (IMO) if posts discuss it in relation to the case.

KWIM??????

Thank you! Yes, I do. FWIW, I did consult with a mod when I started this thread.

Well, he obviously didn't spend it on his house.

I could understand sleuthing past cases, how he handles himself in a courtroom, who he has represented before....you know that kind of stuff.
But, foreclosure is his personal business. Has nothing to do with Casey/Caylee.

BTW, I can't stand him either. I think as an attorney, he's a snake. But, IMO his personal life should not be posted everywhere. He has not comitted a crime. He is not a POI or a suspect.

I just think it kinda crosses a WS line. JMO

I do understand your point, Kimberly. fwiw, when this thread was first opened, I know that at least 2 of the mods were aware of this thread and the relevancy. They opted to leave it open. I guess because of the reasons I stated earlier in re. Baez's fiscal responsibility since he is now entrusted to spend taxpayer's money in a responsible fashion. *shrug*

KWIM??????

That's my point, how does it relate to the case?

Ok, so he's in foreclosure. Do we really need to post all the documents?
He's had financial trouble in the past, does that mean we should dig up all of that and post it? Because he is representing a monster, we should pry into all his personal business?

I'm not trying to say anyone here is doing anything wrong, I just don't see how it relates.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ax445
Back