Josh Powell's House in WA blows up

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never should have been allowed to visit his sons..did they do a psych test on him to determine if he was even fit to see his sons-???
Okay Nevermind - I just read that he was IN THE PROCESS of undergoing a psycho-sexual evaluation and a polygraph.
Looks like they did NO evaluation before allowing him visitation..

The case worker dropped the boys off for a 'supervised visit' and he was able grab the kids at his door not let the case worker in.

Why wasn't the supervised visit done at neutral location instead of his home??!!

:rose: RIP Susan, Braden, and Charlie :rose:

If she smelled gas, especially strong smell of gas, I would expect a call to 911 immediately, because that is an emergency. If she was on the phone with her supervisor (as reported) then it doesn't appear she believed it was an emergency. So I don't know what she smelled or didn't smell.

reports I am reading are that she was pushed and the door closed in her face...

smelling the gas was most likely concurrent with that incident.:twocents:

Never should have been allowed to visit his sons..did they do a psych test on him to determine if he was even fit to see his sons-???

Not yet. It was supposed to happen but hasn't yet.

In this particular case, I think quite a few people could see it coming.

Yes and EVERYONE involved in allowing that monster to have visitation with those children should be fired. This is a tragedy that should never have happened but was an obvious possibility from the first.

I hope the Cox family has a measure of justice when everyone involved is fired and laws are changed to make sure this never happens again!

This is just beyond anything I can comprehend. Those poor, poor little boys. :(

What a coward. Pure evil.

I just saw footage of the home, there is nothing there, just a shell of ash and smoke. I see a van or SUV chassis in there too. Were the bodies found outside of the blast? sorry...

When I saw that van, I thought that was probably the van he used to put Susan's dead body in 3 years ago after he first killed her. How horribly ironic that van sits there next to the deceased forms of those two children and JP as well.

This whole thing is the worst of nightmares. And if it were handled better from the beginning, this final horror by JP probably would not have happened.

Just now seeing the news a few moments ago. I'm heartbroken... just so sad. Oh how I wish Josh Powell had not been allowed to visit with those boys and that they had been with the Cox family today ... :cry:

Rest in peace, boys. At least you're with your mother now. :rose:

BBM

This is very unfortunately common practice for social workers. It makes no sense. I interviewed for a social work job right out of college and during the interview I was asked what I would do if I thought I was in danger or my client was in danger of hurting himself/herself or someone else. My answer was call the police. The man interviewing me went on to tell me it was company police to notify the supervisor first and let him/her decide if police involvement is necessary. I wanted to say, "You're crazy if you think I am not calling 911 if I feel that I or someone else is in serious danger." This is something that REALLY needs to change IMO.

Wow. Are you serious? I guess that explains why she called her supervisor and not 911. Boggles the mind.

I agree! I am so upset right now! Laws have to be changed, but will they? It was OBVIOUS Josh was had something to do with Susan's disappearance - more should have been done to protect those boys!!!! The social worker was just doing her job - it's not her fault. It's our law makers IMHO!

Blame the founding fathers of this Country they are the ones who decided on "Innocent until proven guilty" and "trial of ones peers" they did that to prevent people from being accused and locked up on a whim. it isn't a perfect system for sure but it is our system and it is still one of the best in the world.

if Josh had been charged with Susan's murder or had a documented history of abusing the boys the state could have handled things differently- heck the judge could have set stricter perimeters for the visits.

Some have questioned what Steven Powell must be feeling right now, I say he is probably relieved. My guess is that he knew what this plan was; and he likely helped plan the action. My guess is that SP and JP talked about what to do if and/or when Susan's body was ever found. But this is all about control. That is all that matters to these Powell men. Josh no longer had control of his possessions (his children); just like he was losing control of his other possession - Susan. He couldn't stand the thought that Susan was going to leave him and take "his" children away. He had to get rid of her. Now, the wonderful and stable Cox family had "his" children; and the judge said that he was going to have to undergo evalutations. Control was being taken away from him at every turn. This guy is truly a monster years and years in the making (molded from another monster already serving time in jail).

I have one relief in all of this. Those boys are in the arms of their beautiful mother. Susan is comforting them; and they know the true plan now. Josh may have felt that he was controling the kids by taking them away from the Cox family; but ultimately, he lost. Susan has those two beautiful, precious boys; and Josh will have NO loved ones around him EVER again! He will get his judgement much sooner than I had thought.

I have worried about justice for Susan as there seemed to be only the circumstantial evidence to try Josh. I knew that after this life he would get judgement. He just speeded up the process. What a ! What a coward of the worst kind!

You said every thing I could not put into words. Thank you.

I swear I just read an article where his mother was quoted defending his parenting skills. Then his estranged sister said his mother hadn't seen him for years. I didn't know she was thought to be missing or I would have saved a link to the article. Maybe it was the one where it was announced he would undergo an evaluation.

I thought it was SP's mother that went missing

Not yet. It was supposed to happen but hasn't yet.

It seems he did have a psychological evaluation; and from that evaluation, the psychologist high recommended a psycho-sexual evaluation. He must have noticed something in the evaluation that made him prescribe that. JP seemed to be scared spitless of this evaluation that was to be.

I sure hope we don't go down the road and blame the social worker as I am sure this woman is suffering deeply herself. JMO.

I do not blame her at all! She was doing her job and had she not went to her car and stayed at the door... she could be dead too. I feel awful for her.

OMG. I am so angry. We all saw something like this happening. :rose:I remember posting about it here. The chance that he would carry out a murder suicide involving his sweet boys. DAMN. I hate that man and his sick twisted father. I better sit on my hands, unless it is too late for that too. :furious:

I'm angry, too, Katy. Remember when he took off on that recent so-called "camping trip" with the the boys and how afraid we all were that Josh might harm the boys?

I'm heartbroken. This tragedy could have been prevented, if those with the power to prevent it would have been paying attention.

This is what I think he did after he blocked the door and did not let the social worker in.....I think he pulled the lighter out of his pocked, put his arms around the boys to hold them tight not because of love but to be sure they all went together and said "Lets go see Mommy" then click before the children had any idea what happened.

He didn't love them. They were possessions only! It was all about control.

Just now seeing the news a few moments ago. I'm heartbroken... just so sad. Oh how I wish the Cox family had had custody of those boys... :cry:

Rest in peace, boys. At least you're with your mother now. :rose:

The Cox's did have custody- Josh was just having visitation.

WHY TAKE THE BOYS' LIVES?!? Why... why...

The Cox's did have custody- Josh was just having visitation.

Thanks - I realized that and corrected my post... I know Susan's family is just so devastated. My heart goes out to them.

JP's mother is alive and well and was living with his sister in Utah. After Steven Powell was arrested, she reportedly moved to Puyallup and was living in Steven's house! I assume it was for the purpose of caring for the mentally ill brother who was prone to walking around the house naked in front of the boys.

The mystery mother is Steven Powell's mother. He wrote a strange story about his parents taking turns kidnapping the kids from each other and he left it a mystery as to what happened to his mother in the end.

It all shows that this terrible tragedy was several generations in the making.

Good God, what a complete and utter tragedy this is, honestly I have no words and am still in disbelief that this has happened.

May the Cox family have strength......I'm so very sorry for all of the family members including the Powell family members that have been advocates for Susan and her boys.

May they dance on rainbows together for all eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668