Judge Perry admonishes Jose Baez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know the sin of this? Judge Perry has to bend over backwards to avoid a mistrial because a witness isn't allowed to testify. This isn't the first time Baez pulled this they have had to proffer other witnesses because they suddenly had more opinion.

Now you have a prosecution team who has shared discovery and done what they are required to under the rules of the court and a defense playing fast and loose. It is deplorable. But Casey is the defendant and her right to a fair defense has to take priority.

So now Jeff Ashton and LDB have to do a hurried deposition. They may have planned to use the rest of the weekend to prepare for the upcoming days in trial, they might have planned to spend some time with their spouse or take their child to their baseball game....... they may have planned to lie by the pool and just unwind from the tensions.

But because Baez didn't do his job, his excuse being that he just met with this witness 2 nights ago and this came out is incredible. How do you not prepare before you get to trial? This is just dirty pool and the judge is placed in the horrible position of having to make a decision about remedy.

Just like Dr. S. going off and doing interviews which is a violation of sequestration of witnesses. So now the State had to meet with Baez this morning and work it out. Another problem that Baez didn't handle with his witness. My guess is that the agreement they came to was that Jeff Ashton was allowed to question him at length about his interviews and his public trials in which he has testified. Was that good for the defense? I don't think so. But the State made whatever remedy agreement to save the trial so that this witness would not be excluded. Can it be a basis for appeal? I don't know because I'm not a lawyer.

The judge warned both sides no trial by ambush. And we have seen it repeatedly. How many times does the State have to stand up and object? How many times does the judge have to school Baez? How many times does the witness blurt something out that they jury hears and it has to be stricken? Things with no foundation or relevance? You can't make them unhear it.

Baez was still grinning at the end of the day. I truly hope the sanctions are placed on him after trial because he deserves whatever comes his way. He had better keep it clean for the rest of this trial because Judge Perry is not happy. I swear he himself is just trying to cause a mistrial so he gets a second swipe at this.

I don't think it's just JB,either. Do you recall when HH gave deadlines for completeing depos (I think it was depos,but maybe a witness list), LDB stated in court that CM was basically not cooperating and said he could do them anytime he damned please. It was a clear thumbing the nose at the Judge.
I really believe it's part of their strategy.

I pray the State stays above this game playing garbage....or is it trash :waitasec:

That smack down was almost too painful to watch! Almost! Lionel Hutz would have done a better job! It has to be obvious to CM that JB is an epic FAIL! Yet he just sits back and lets JB take control. You have to wonder if he took this case just to make sure Casey is convicted?

Actually, my thoughts on CM are that he was of the opinion that the DT should not put on a case at all. There were a couple of times in the jury selections that when he got into the stuff about "you wouldn't hold it against the defendant if she did not testify would you" that he also included "or if she did not put on a defense at all." (quotes are paraphrased) And then we saw him jump up and have that sidebar with the judge objecting to the judge telling the jury that the DT would start and possibly finish their case on such and such a date. His objection was that it led the jury to believe that the DT would or had to put on a case. I think that his thinking is that the SA did not prove 1st degree murder in the absence of a cause of death and the DT's crazy fantasy case would not sit well with the jury, maybe do more hard than good. So why not just rest at that point in the hopes that the jury is not convinced of 1st degree murder and would consider the DT's OS of accident. Not that I think that would have worked.

Judge Belvin Berry admonishes Jose Baez in court. The jury was not present.

http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-extended-coverage/28280696/video.html
I take back everything I said about HHJP not smacking Baez the way he does JA. HHJP's smack downs of JA were minor dust-ups forgotten by dinner time compared to this. Yes, HHJP included the State, but he absolutely lay into Baez. I've never seen anything like that - it seemed surreal to me.

Of course that's just my lay opinions, and HHJP looked as though he could hardly contain his anger.

I wish I knew what the witness thought of all this. Was he there when the smackdown happened? If so he can't be happy he was dragged into this and that Baez tried to use him for some sneak attack. Wasn't he in the military? I just wonder how this will affect his testimony if at all.

As much as I dislike KC, her getting a fair trial is of utmost importance. Do we really want HHJP to do something that could get KC's conviction overturned? I don't think any of us want that. IMO, the man knows what he's doing.

Seeing HHJP refusing to allow the witness to testify would be some awesome instant gratification, but it will be far more gratifying to see Caylee Marie get justice.

My opinions...

I totally agree.

sorry, haven't read the whole thread - but I caught a picture of the reprimand...

Check out the guy behind him,with his hand over his mouth . He's hiding a smile.

LOL I noticed this guy, too. :) He also had to try very hard to suppress a few giggles during Dr. Spitz's testimony.

The HHJP smackdown was long overdue, epic and scary. It reminded me of my dear father when pushed to his limit by us kids. When his voice got low and his cadence slow and deliberate, we knew we were in big trouble - BIG. Also, like my dad, when it was over, it was over. He didn't hold on his anger. He said his piece, made sure it was thoroughly understood and then it was back to business as usual.

I LOVE HHJP. :great:

I think this smack down was a long time in coming! I would be willing to bet that there is a big contempt fine coming for JB at the end of this trial. I think an appropriate amount for HHJP to fine him would be $270,000. I think it would be iornic!

Well...he did ask for one of his witness' statements to be struck from the record (about blood on a blanket), so I guess anything is possible? :waitasec:

I think JB's questioning the wrong piece of evidence...the blanket with the blood on it...was one of the worst blunders I've seen. I know that was struck and the jurors told not to take that in evidence into consideration, but no matter what, the jury is going to be wondering in the back of their mind how blood got on that blanket.

I think Baez will be back to selling bathing suits in no time. jmo

Thanks Grandmaj for that excellent post. Do you think those 2 witnesses, Dr H and Dr WS, will be back up on the stand? Ta

Both witnesses were released without prejudice. They are not subject to recall, so no we will not be seeing them again. At least not in THIS trial.

In my mind I just keep on replaying an excerpt from Biaz long ago that compared this trial to a circus. I feel like he and the defense team is making the court like a big tent and the defense is trying to acting like the star of the show! I am embarrassed for them and their actions! (they do not seem ashamed though)
Bless this Judge for being wise and able to stop them dead in their tracks by keeping tight reins on them and NOT allowing a mistrial!
I will say that DR.Rodreguez seemed to be the Def. best witness!

I said this in another thread but I think it bears repeating here. I would think that if you're going to get advice on a defense lawyer to hire that you should ask someone who is walking freely outside the courthouse and not someone who's IN the jail with you. JMO

ROFLMAO!

Post of the day!
:loser:

:great::great::great:

Actually, my thoughts on CM are that he was of the opinion that the DT should not put on a case at all. There were a couple of times in the jury selections that when he got into the stuff about "you wouldn't hold it against the defendant if she did not testify would you" that he also included "or if she did not put on a defense at all." (quotes are paraphrased) And then we saw him jump up and have that sidebar with the judge objecting to the judge telling the jury that the DT would start and possibly finish their case on such and such a date. His objection was that it led the jury to believe that the DT would or had to put on a case. I think that his thinking is that the SA did not prove 1st degree murder in the absence of a cause of death and the DT's crazy fantasy case would not sit well with the jury, maybe do more hard than good. So why not just rest at that point in the hopes that the jury is not convinced of 1st degree murder and would consider the DT's OS of accident. Not that I think that would have worked.

Not to mention, it would let him get away with doing the least amount of work humanly possible for his client. And we all know how bloody lazy he is with his depositions and deadlines thus far. I swear his "office" is probably a pillow and a hammock in a dark, empty room.

I don't know how the Court Clerk sitting right in front of the judge can keep a blank face. I would have had to hide under the desk to not show reaction to the dressing down of Baez by the judge. Her face was like a blank stare. I wonder if she tunes out in order to do that.

I'm still munching on crow. I gave the Defense too much credit and said they wouldn't put on a defense. I blabbed it everywhere. Eating crow is not what I like to do...darn Baez!

Don't feel bad. It could have gone that way if it was just CM. However, there was no way in hades that Baez would EVER give up the opportunity to grandstand - even it it places the needle squarely into his client's arm.

You see, to Baez, it's not about his client. Ever. It's always about him. :loser:

I don't know how the Court Clerk sitting right in front of the judge can keep a blank face. I would have had to hide under the desk to not show reaction to the dressing down of Baez by the judge. Her face was like a blank stare. I wonder if she tunes out in order to do that.

I would never want to play poker with her... She can keep a straight face no matter what.

Wow I wouldn't wanna be in JB's shoes right now. I just seen Bill S. say HHJP could send it over to the Bar for them to take care of as one of the options. I'd be a little worried since this isnt the first time JB has pulled this.

Team Caylee
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60857547@N03/5835813911

He's already had several Bar complaints against him since he took on this case. Nothing - not one thing - has ever come of it. :banghead:

Slippery as an eel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back