Judge Perry admonishes Jose Baez

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know the sin of this? Judge Perry has to bend over backwards to avoid a mistrial because a witness isn't allowed to testify. This isn't the first time Baez pulled this they have had to proffer other witnesses because they suddenly had more opinion.

Now you have a prosecution team who has shared discovery and done what they are required to under the rules of the court and a defense playing fast and loose. It is deplorable. But Casey is the defendant and her right to a fair defense has to take priority.

So now Jeff Ashton and LDB have to do a hurried deposition. They may have planned to use the rest of the weekend to prepare for the upcoming days in trial, they might have planned to spend some time with their spouse or take their child to their baseball game....... they may have planned to lie by the pool and just unwind from the tensions.

But because Baez didn't do his job, his excuse being that he just met with this witness 2 nights ago and this came out is incredible. How do you not prepare before you get to trial? This is just dirty pool and the judge is placed in the horrible position of having to make a decision about remedy.

Just like Dr. S. going off and doing interviews which is a violation of sequestration of witnesses. So now the State had to meet with Baez this morning and work it out. Another problem that Baez didn't handle with his witness. My guess is that the agreement they came to was that Jeff Ashton was allowed to question him at length about his interviews and his public trials in which he has testified. Was that good for the defense? I don't think so. But the State made whatever remedy agreement to save the trial so that this witness would not be excluded. Can it be a basis for appeal? I don't know because I'm not a lawyer.

The judge warned both sides no trial by ambush. And we have seen it repeatedly. How many times does the State have to stand up and object? How many times does the judge have to school Baez? How many times does the witness blurt something out that they jury hears and it has to be stricken? Things with no foundation or relevance? You can't make them unhear it.

Baez was still grinning at the end of the day. I truly hope the sanctions are placed on him after trial because he deserves whatever comes his way. He had better keep it clean for the rest of this trial because Judge Perry is not happy. I swear he himself is just trying to cause a mistrial so he gets a second swipe at this.

IMO JB is guilty of 1st degree murder......of killing his legal career:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:
He knows it and does not care so he will keep up the dirty tricks because he really is more interested in being a TH on Telemundo or taking the reins over when Geraldo retires IMO.

That is Hilarious!! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Is the only way for the JB to be let go, is for KC to do it? And can that be done during the middle of the trial? While I have my own opinion that I think KC is guilty as sin, she does deserve to have a fair trial and a lawyer who knows just what he is doing. And why does KC's other attorney's just sit there on the side and watch this train wreck happen?

As for JB's behavior, I have come to expect it of him, however I wish that the JA would keep his cool and not belittle the witnesses. I felt bad for the bug guy who was on the stand yesterday. The SA's should be able to rise above the ugliness that the DT is throwing around. It takes two to tango and unfortunately both JB and JA are trying to lead. I wish that JA would just decline JB when he asks for JA's dance card.

Mel
Hi Mnegri, I thought the bug guy sounded very rehearsed - way to talkative for the average witness who takes the stand {even if he was a D witness}. He was expounding. Because of that I don't feel bad about JA as his questions were specific and precise. He knew what was goin' on IMO

You know the sin of this? Judge Perry has to bend over backwards to avoid a mistrial because a witness isn't allowed to testify. This isn't the first time Baez pulled this they have had to proffer other witnesses because they suddenly had more opinion.

Now you have a prosecution team who has shared discovery and done what they are required to under the rules of the court and a defense playing fast and loose. It is deplorable. But Casey is the defendant and her right to a fair defense has to take priority.

So now Jeff Ashton and LDB have to do a hurried deposition. They may have planned to use the rest of the weekend to prepare for the upcoming days in trial, they might have planned to spend some time with their spouse or take their child to their baseball game....... they may have planned to lie by the pool and just unwind from the tensions.

But because Baez didn't do his job, his excuse being that he just met with this witness 2 nights ago and this came out is incredible. How do you not prepare before you get to trial? This is just dirty pool and the judge is placed in the horrible position of having to make a decision about remedy.

Just like Dr. S. going off and doing interviews which is a violation of sequestration of witnesses. So now the State had to meet with Baez this morning and work it out. Another problem that Baez didn't handle with his witness. My guess is that the agreement they came to was that Jeff Ashton was allowed to question him at length about his interviews and his public trials in which he has testified. Was that good for the defense? I don't think so. But the State made whatever remedy agreement to save the trial so that this witness would not be excluded. Can it be a basis for appeal? I don't know because I'm not a lawyer.

The judge warned both sides no trial by ambush. And we have seen it repeatedly. How many times does the State have to stand up and object? How many times does the judge have to school Baez? How many times does the witness blurt something out that they jury hears and it has to be stricken? Things with no foundation or relevance? You can't make them unhear it.

Baez was still grinning at the end of the day. I truly hope the sanctions are placed on him after trial because he deserves whatever comes his way. He had better keep it clean for the rest of this trial because Judge Perry is not happy. I swear he himself is just trying to cause a mistrial so he gets a second swipe at this.

Thanks Grandmaj for that excellent post. Do you think those 2 witnesses, Dr H and Dr WS, will be back up on the stand? Ta

ITA-I was not sure why HHJP lumped the state in with JB, I do not remember them violating his motions....wait, maybe on one occasion but I can't remember the details.
At any rate, what really got me was that JB got kind of sassy and indignant. No contrition whatsoever.

Forget the supreme court.... JBPJ for PRESIDENT! :great:

Oy, let's not go there...HHJP has admitted to issues in his personal life-Anyone remember Anita Hill? He is a conservative minority afterall, just sayin'...anymore and I'll have to bring this over to a political forum!
He is so needed right where he is, I wouldn't wish this town (D.C., my nearest city) on my worst enemy.

I don't know about Dr. H. I have to admit I missed some of that testimony. But I do not believe that the defense would be so foolish to put Dr. S. back on the stand. In some ways IMO he helped the State. There was a confusing back and forth between Mason and him about what a drowning had to do with this case? I was :waitasec: Have we totally abandoned the drowning idea? But I believe Dr. S just didn't catch on to the question and expound on the fact that he thinks it was a drowning. Very convoluted. I think this was a very bad witness for the defense. I really do. So I don't think they are going to give Jeff Ashton another swipe at him.

I do think you will see Dr. G. back on the stand.

This defense is not prepared nor do they grasp at the same level the forensics as the State in my opinion. My opinion is that only on a more personal level would the defense been more successful. They threw the opening statement out there and I think expected the State to alter its game which they didn't. That is where they wanted to go.

Who knows where this defense is going. It is anyone's guess.

I don't know about Dr. H. I have to admit I missed some of that testimony. But I do not believe that the defense would be so foolish to put Dr. S. back on the stand. In some ways IMO he helped the State. There was a confusing back and forth between Mason and him about what a drowning had to do with this case? I was :waitasec: Have we totally abandoned the drowning idea? But I believe Dr. S just didn't catch on to the question and expound on the fact that he thinks it was a drowning. Very convoluted. I think this was a very bad witness for the defense. I really do. So I don't think they are going to give Jeff Ashton another swipe at him.

This defense is not prepared nor do they grasp at the same level the forensics as the State in my opinion. My opinion is that only on a more personal level would the defense been more successful. They threw the opening statement out there and I think expected the State to alter its game which they didn't. That is where they wanted to go.

BBM-Exactamundo.

I'm still munching on crow. I gave the Defense too much credit and said they wouldn't put on a defense. I blabbed it everywhere. Eating crow is not what I like to do...darn Baez!

Judge Belvin Berry admonishes Jose Baez in court. The jury was not present.

http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-extended-coverage/28280696/video.html

I watched the video and then watched Bill Shaeffer's analysis of today's court session. He addressed HHBP's admonishment of Jose Baez and said this comes on top of the sanctions the judge imposed earlier this year, and the judge might just refer this to the Florida Bar Association and let them decide what should be done.

Exactly! He knew,he just thought the judge had to let it slide or he risked an appeal issue. This is a DP case and keeping out an expert witnesses testimony could be huge.
JB and CM know that and are flaunting it. I hope they both pay dearly.

ITA!
And JB doesn't look like he is being consoled by ICA in this photo. Looks more to me like she is saying " thanks for taking one for the team"

PHOTO
Photo credit: Red Huber/Orlando Sentinel
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2011/06/casey-anthony-jose-baez-stunned-after-belvin-perrys-rebuke.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+entertainment%2Ftv%2Ftvguy+%28TV+Guy%29
Casey Anthony: Jose Baez stunned after Belvin Perry’s rebuke
— posted by halboedeker on June, 18 2011 11:24 AM

Is the only way for the JB to be let go, is for KC to do it? And can that be done during the middle of the trial? While I have my own opinion that I think KC is guilty as sin, she does deserve to have a fair trial and a lawyer who knows just what he is doing. And why does KC's other attorney's just sit there on the side and watch this train wreck happen?

As for JB's behavior, I have come to expect it of him, however I wish that the JA would keep his cool and not belittle the witnesses. I felt bad for the bug guy who was on the stand yesterday. The SA's should be able to rise above the ugliness that the DT is throwing around. It takes two to tango and unfortunately both JB and JA are trying to lead. I wish that JA would just decline JB when he asks for JA's dance card.

Mel

IIRC, at one point she was asked if she was happy with her council and she replied yes.

BBM

I totally agree. The state didn't take the bait and just put up their own theory without changing a thing except asking GA if he molested KC. This has caused frustration for JB because the prosecution isn't opening doors for him to walk into. It's a chess game and he thought it would be checkers.

I sometimes think JB honestly believes he's the smartest man in the room when even several people in the gallery are much smarter. If he does think he's the smartest lawyer in the room then he's more comical than I thought. IMO, that would be like Pam Anderson thinking she was gonna get an Emmy for her work on Baywatch. JMO

I'm still munching on crow. I gave the Defense too much credit and said they wouldn't put on a defense. I blabbed it everywhere. Eating crow is not what I like to do...darn Baez!

1240605367-eating_crow.jpg

http://www.absolutelyglutenfree.com.au/agfshop/images/items/white crow_tomato sauce_i.JPG
white%20crow_tomato%20sauce_i.JPG

:crazy:

IMO, HHJBP is giving him such wide latitude because it's a DP case. I don't think an appeal would be granted because of DT skeevy tactics but if HHJBP didn't give him enough wiggle room it might get an appeal granted. JMO

The state handed JB copies of color photos they were going to use that morning the other day. As much as I root for the SA I thought that was underhanded. Also, singling out the DT may help on an appeal. JMO

IMO it may not stop there. Unless he's completely by the book for the rest of the trial it's possible he'll be disbarred.

I said this in another thread but I think it bears repeating here. I would think that if you're going to get advice on a defense lawyer to hire that you should ask someone who is walking freely outside the courthouse and not someone who's IN the jail with you. JMO

I think this is what HHJBP was referring to when he said lightning doesn't strike twice. I think he was willing to give JB the benefit of the doubt on the first one but when it happened again today he knew he could put the smackdown on JB without fear of reprisal from higher courts. JMO

BBM...

I watched that section of video again and actually what it appears happened is that the FBI was communicating about their results by email, and JA pointed out that both the State and Defense were cc'd on these emails. Both sides were also invited to come to the local FBI office and review the color images. It was the babysitting woman who went there to review the images, and she looked very guilty and defensive about it. Both sides were also invited to have expert witnesses come and review the color images in the local office, or for the FBI to provide those witnesses with the data/information. The Defense did not take them up on this.

The FBI then mailed the State a copy of the final report complete with color photos and JA assumed the Defense received the same report. They apparently didn't (although who knows - the person that did the report mailing was not on the stand so HHJP had to take the defense's word for it that they only had access to a black and white copy - we can all decide how trustworthy that story might be)... and in the end HHJP told JA that even if the State fully believed the Defense had the same report, they should still have provided the Defense with an exact copy of the one the State was using. That it was their (State's) responsibility. What they were guilty of was in not verifying, not in trying to pull a fast one.

After watching it again, that's what I took from the issue. I really believe after watching and listening to JA - he believed the only difference between what they were showing in court and what the Defense had in front of them was the arrangement of the images into a power point presentation. He was pretty clear in pointing out that all the images in the presentation came straight from the report the State had. I don't think he would have said that so forcefully while gesturing at their binder if he didn't think it was true.

In one of the sidebars (when JB was complaining that the party pictures made Casey look like a lesbian) HHJP said this:
"You all sometimes get reckless and you all don't mind retrying cases. I do. I care about convictions. I don't care to do them twice."
He knows what JB and his team are trying to do, and he will make sure he crosses all of his T's and dots all of his I's in order to not get this case re-tried.

what I found most telling is when the camera pans to JB, and the judge is still giving instruction on what will be done, JB's eyes roll heavenward, his face turns red, it looks to me not as if he is blushing, but as if he may cry, his eyes do not remain on the judge, he is unable to meet the judge's, he turns his body and moves away from the podium, AS THE JUDGE IS STILL RULING, as if he wants to run and hide. This starts at 9:12. JB then realizes he is still being spoken to and it would be considered contempuous and disreespectful to walk away, he moves back to the podium, his eyes cut up to the judge a couple of times but his face is downturned, like a child being scolded when he knows he got caught doing something wrong.

He then tries t make a smartass comment about how he wants to put the SA on notice that he himself will be deposing his own expert tonight and if the SA wants to be there they better plan to do so.

HHJP then says nuh uh. There is no reason for you to be taking your own expert's deposition (implying JB should have already done so during the discovery phase if that is what he wanted). You cannot fail to disclose this experts opinions to the state, it was obvious JB did not take a deposition because he already knew well before today what the expert would be saying on the stand. THE only reason for him not to have deposed the witness, thereby giving the state an opportunity to discover the experts opinions outside his report was to further hide the mans opinions in an attempt to get the very "gotcha" moment that HHJP wanted to avoid with his order. So JB was called not only on not disclosing but in attempting to NOW take his own expert's deposition when he opted not to previously in a further ambush tactic.

Can I just say

I :heart: HHJP?

That is exactly how I saw it. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when AFTER HHJP tells the story of how the matter SHOULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED, JB attempt to handle it. "Ok, I will [NOW] schedule the deposition of this expert..." ummmmmm. a little late, don't 'cha think?

BBM

ITA. Which is why their case is such a mess. They put themselves in the position of having to argue 2 cases at the same time and much of what they do makes absolutely no sense to anyone. Really bad assumption on their part that the State would switch gears at the 11th hour to attack such a far fetched fairytale.

I understand why Baez was chastised by HHJP today due to questioning DS on something not in his report and therefore not disclosed to the SA. But can someone with a legal background explain to me how the SA got away with introducing the duct tape superimposition on Caylee's face if that was not disclosed to the defense ahead of time ?

They did disclose it before Court. That's exactly what HH was telling JB. It's not that hard to disclose what will be said" EVEN AT THE LAST MINUTE".
If the other side has an issue it's proffered and the Judge determines if it can come in. JB didn't do that .JA did.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Renayz23
Back