Judges double Oscar Pistorius' sentence to 13 years, 5 months - 24. Nov. 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It’s not known when he’ll be released on parole but it’s certain that he’ll spend another Christmas in jail.

His hopes to have been considered to be placed on parole this year were dashed after the SCA cleared up the confusion re his time spent in jail following the various appeals and orders it had issued. The SCA chief registrar confirmed that the first order, that the sentence came into effect on October 21, 2014 – the day he was first sentenced for culpable homicide – stood. This means that he’ll only be eligible to be considered for parole in March 2023. She confirmed that a letter issued by the acting president of the SCA was sent to his lawyer as well as Correctional Services, confirming the date on which his 13 years and 5 months sentence came into effect.

This caused his legal team to withdraw an application which was due to be heard by the High Court to compel the parole board to convene and consider his fate. According to OP and his team’s earlier calculations, he was eligible for parole in March last year but prison authorities said that in terms of their calculations, he would only have served half of his sentence in March next year. The confusion regarding his time spent in jail followed various appeals and orders issued by the Supreme Court which increased his sentence to 13 years and 5 months in 2017 but antedated it to October 2014. However, it has twice varied the date on which the new sentence had to begin.

Correctional Services and his lawyer had earlier issued letters to the Supreme Court in an attempt to clear up the confusion, but this was only done a day before OP’s court bid to try to ensure a parole hearing this year.

https://www.iol.co.za/pretoria-news...e-dashed-720d8afb-61e3-4537-b1b9-7b673f410fde

Steenkamps withdraw Oscar’s forgiveness on 10th anniversary of Reeva’s murder.

To commemorate the occasion, her parents will return to Pollok Beach, in Gqeberha, where they scattered her ashes to remember her legacy and bid farewell to long-time family friend, Jenny Strydom.

I'll never forget this case. It was what brought me to Websleuths. I'm hoping he has to serve out his full sentence.

Reeva Steenkamp’s parents still grieving, 10 years on

Last edited:
Steenkamps withdraw Oscar’s forgiveness on 10th anniversary of Reeva’s murder.

To commemorate the occasion, her parents will return to Pollok Beach, in Gqeberha, where they scattered her ashes to remember her legacy and bid farewell to long-time family friend, Jenny Strydom.

I'll never forget this case. It was what brought me to Websleuths. I'm hoping he has to serve out his full sentence.

Reeva Steenkamp’s parents still grieving, 10 years on
Thanks for posting this. I remembered the name Jenny Strydom and was able to confirm she was as I recall, June's best friend of many years and the woman seen at June's side during the trial. Her death on 2 Nov 2022 is acknowledged on Reeva's Foundation page.

Thinking I discovered Websleuths re Gerard Baden-Clay case, and then Pistorius?? I recall Pistorius blubbering his way through the trial (was disgusting), and is still Wailing. Seems it’s his “go to”for sympathy. I believe he should indeed serve the full sentence.

Pistorius was why i registered as well - we were discussing this case on a Knox trial forum and I couldn't understand why anyone would be believing Pistorius story so i registered here to get to grips with the evidence.

Pistorius was why i registered as well - we were discussing this case on a Knox trial forum and I couldn't understand why anyone would be believing Pistorius story so i registered here to get to grips with the evidence.
That moment when Mapisa announced sentence , the first one, 6 years, I shouted at my little dog! I could not believe it, and although I had no doubts that it would be appealed, and successfully, it still baffles me how Judge Mapisa ever arrived at such a risible number. That has never been explained , as far as I know. Perhaps it is not polite to harp on it, but it rankles, even now, with me.

That moment when Mapisa announced sentence , the first one, 6 years, I shouted at my little dog! I could not believe it, and although I had no doubts that it would be appealed, and successfully, it still baffles me how Judge Mapisa ever arrived at such a risible number. That has never been explained , as far as I know. Perhaps it is not polite to harp on it, but it rankles, even now, with me.

I've never understood it either.

I think somehow she naively believed his nonsense. I always had the feeling she was more into the psycho drama of the case than taking the time to piece the evidence together blow by blow.

She really just accepted Roux's timeline despite the impossibility of it.

I think somehow she naively believed his nonsense. I always had the feeling she was more into the psycho drama of the case than taking the time to piece the evidence together blow by blow.

I still feel like shouting when I'm reminded of it by the current discussion. So shocking! I've never been so dumbfounded.

Agreed. Also, Masipa interpreted dolus eventualis to mean that Oscar didn't intend to kill Reeva specifically, therefore he was innocent of murder. But according to that law it doesn't matter if Oscar mistakenly believed that an intruder was in the bathroom, he intended to kill whoever was in the bathroom. Which is exactly what dolus eventualis means and by firing not one but four shots into the toilet door he clearly understood that it would likely kill any human being, period. Masipa also made some other fundamental errors. I remember being shocked at her mistakes - most of us here caught them immediately.

I still don't know why she was so lenient for Oscar. She had a reputation of being hard-nosed, especially when it came to crimes against women. And FWIW, I believe this was a case of intentional murder of Reeva after the two had a fight. Judge Masipa chose to overlook some witness statements and maybe (IMO only) she was a little flummoxed with all those statements and simply got overwhelmed. Or maybe she believed Oscar's snot-riddled lies.

And Reeva's parents went to visit Oscar in hopes that he would tell them the truth:

During an interview with ITV's Good Morning Britain this week, Reeva's parents, Barry and June Steenkamp, revealed they visited Pistorius in prison.

The grieving couple said they hoped Pistorius would shine additional light on what actually transpired when he shot Reeva in his South Africa home on Feb. 14, 2013. They did not get the answer they sought, according to CNN.

"All June and I wanted to know was the truth, what we feel was the truth: that he actually killed her because of anger," Barry told GMB.

Agreed. Also, Masipa interpreted dolus eventualis to mean that Oscar didn't intend to kill Reeva specifically, therefore he was innocent of murder. But according to that law it doesn't matter if Oscar mistakenly believed that an intruder was in the bathroom, he intended to kill whoever was in the bathroom. Which is exactly what dolus eventualis means and by firing not one but four shots into the toilet door he clearly understood that it would likely kill any human being, period. Masipa also made some other fundamental errors. I remember being shocked at her mistakes - most of us here caught them immediately.

I still don't know why she was so lenient for Oscar. She had a reputation of being hard-nosed, especially when it came to crimes against women. And FWIW, I believe this was a case of intentional murder of Reeva after the two had a fight. Judge Masipa chose to overlook some witness statements and maybe (IMO only) she was a little flummoxed with all those statements and simply got overwhelmed. Or maybe she believed Oscar's snot-riddled lies.

RSBM

Two things stick in my mind

1. This was a very inexperienced judge. I remember looking into this, and by UK or NZ standards, she wouldn't have been qualified for the district court, let alone the high court. In NZ only the legal elite get to the high court. e.g you might have been the top crown prosecutor for years, or a leading trial attorney. I think this showed in the very poor quality legal reasoning on DE as you point out. But also on how she handled the trial and presentation of evidence. The extension cord fiasco is just one example. The prosecution crime scene photos proved Pistorius was lying about the fans. But Masipa ripped into Nel for 'losing' the extension cord. This was nonsense from Roux. The prosecution doesn't know in advance that pistorius will make a song and dance about that aspect. Nor do they keep all the things in the picture in the crime scene as evidence. They take photos! This is just so basic.

2. Contrarian logic. I noticed some quite intelligent people fell for the idea that Roux had better figured out what had really happened in terms of the timeline. Of course he hadn't. What the witnesses like Stipp reported seeing (in broad strokes as Nel put it) - was what happened. But proving an exact timeline was quite hard. And the defence could retcon everything precisely after they heard the entire case.

So you noticed motivated reasoning kicking in. The Stipps must have been wrong, even though the two of them saw the whole thing! The neighbours must have been right, even though they were asleep to begin with, and saw nothing!

Even after Pistorius was found guilt of murder she still priced this like it was a tragic accident. The loving relationship comment???? IMO she just never believed a rich famous white guy would do this so it must all have been a mistake.

Sigh

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back