Jury Selection Begins

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
StMarysMead - They look like they are enjoying themselves. I'm beginning to understand their son a bit more.

Wrinkles - How can this be?
How can there be a smile in his parents -- not today, not during jury selection for the trial of their son, the accused murderer of their own grandsons and daughter in law? I don't get it, my husband doesn't get it?

Are they just trying to save their son? Do they just not care about anything but what Chris wants? Chris wanted a new life - were they supportive of him marrying Tara or did they actually know it was Chris and Tara who were friends? Are thet just plain ignorant?

I don't understand the smiling for many reasons. First off, their son is facing the death penalty and they have been told there is mounds of evidence pointing to him. I would be angry, scared, and in shock - none of those emotions would lead me to smile. Then there is the seriousness of the hearing - it wasn't a stage show or anything entertaining. But mostly, I am thinking of what's ahead - the pictures, the testimony - seeing their grandchildren's dead bodies as they were in the house, hearing the details of exactly what happened, and seeing the sex texts and sex videos of their son and Tara. How can they look anyone in the eye and say Chris is innocent. And how can they look into the camera and smile, acting like they have no cares in the world. And how can a Christian family, a pastor of a church, say that Chris's affair with and impending marriage to Tara was something everyone does? I mean, REALLY? Do you? I know some people do, but I don't think everyone does. And the majority who do use a little tool called "divorce", not murder.

"Someone who can kill a child is either evil or crazy... (and) would definitely deserve the death sentence," said one prospective juror Friday. Article by Casey Nolen.

The above juror (a female) was dismissed, as were those who were adamantly opposed to the death sentence.

Roughly 70 jurors interviewed this week. 37 cleared the first rounds. More prospective juror work to continue on Monday morning.

Although the judge scheduled 2 weeks for jury selection, "...prosecutors say they think they can have jury selection wrapped up by mid-week with the trial starting the following week."

Thanks Casey for your reports. We are looking for you to fill us in.

So who is the true crime author?

Ann Rule, I believe. Also IIRC, 48 hours or Dateline is on the case also. I remember reading somewhere about either 48 hours or Dateline being given permission by Sheri's family to go into the house and film some shots. The day I read this a friend and I drove by the house right as 3 man with large equipment came walking out of the house and got into a white van.

snipped.....
)

Okay, I would NEVER want to be cruel to someone who really needs a wheel chair, but I wonder if any of the people local to the Coleman's has seen Chris' mom riding in a wheel chair on a regular basis before April 1st? Before April 7th?

She has been photographed being pushed into the Monroe County Courthouse in a wheel chair. Again, I recall reading somewhere that she has been pretty sick since before the murders.

CCup - She has been photographed being pushed into the Monroe County Courthouse in a wheel chair. Again, I recall reading somewhere that she has been pretty sick since before the murders.

I thought I heard she had lupus and has had for a few years. I don't know that personally, so if anyone does, maybe they can verify it.

Wrinkles - Wheelchair shot...and all 4 of these people were joking and smiling as they emerged on the porch. Who are the accompanying women?

Again, I'm not sure, but I think the women are Ron Coleman's sisters. Haven't seen them in many years, but that's who I THINK they are. Maybe someone who knows for sure will let us know.

I truly cannot believe the huge smiles on their faces.....how inappropriate and disgusting.

:grouphug:

I'm geared up for the trial and seeing Sheri and the boys have THEIR day in court!!! I have followed this case since before I became a mod. Sheri and the boys captured my heart!!!

I know Coleman makes all of us :sick: but remember we still can't call him names or bash him on WS. I can hear what you're saying behind the scenes and I'm with you all on that! :furious:

THANK YOU all for keeping us updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have the time to do it as I did when this case broke.

BBM:

I know you have, Kimster! I was here at the beginning as well. I mostly remained quiet because it would get a little 'hot' in here. Then I couldn't post because I was angry.

Even now when I see the pic of Sherry and those precious boys, I get so angry. I will never understand why they were murdered.

I am looking forward to this trial and a guilty verdict x3!

:hug:

Many thanks to Wrinkles and everyone who is keeping us updated on this jury selection. I too have a problem with the smiling family. This has got to be extremely difficult for all involved. We all know the media and their mo. I am sure they chose this shot to make it look like the family was having a grand old time.
All that matters, to me, is that he is convicted and I believe that will happen.

Hello Blondie, LaLaw2000 and OhioGirl,

Good to have you join us in this case.

OhioGirl, I'm with you...all that matters to me is that he is convicted. Well, not exactly, I would also like to see him go away, immediately, forever. If doing what he did was not the worst of the worst and cost far too much (taking those lives was too much AND we know he did it), he is about to cost society far more. The lives of the people in that courtroom will never be the same after the trial, more heartache, more pain will ensue. Enough is enough...this man is a danger to all of society and always will be.

Twitter is fairly quiet...

http://twitter.com/nickpistor
http://twitter.com/ryanjdean
http://twitter.com/caseynolen

Sure wish we had a chatterbox working the twitters, filling us in on facts, during this jury selection and trial. We're not getting much news. What's with that? How many people are covering this. Does anyone have more links for news sources covering the trial?

Here is a Casey Nolen article from this AM: "Second week of jury selection for Coleman trial."

Evidently 38 potential jurors cleared the first round in jury selection last week. I believe I read one article that said 40 was the goal, then another that said 50 was the goal. IF they have gone through 80 jurors and gotten 38 in 1 week's time (I'm not sure those numbers are correct), and if they are going through about 14 (or 16) jurors a day -- dismissing half of them, THEN they should have 45-47 jurors by the end of today. They would potentially have 50 jurors by midday tomorrow.

Hmmmm let's look again, 38 in 5 days is 7.6 chosen per day. 50 divided by 7.6 per day would be 6.58 days to choose all the jurors needed for the pool.

So, when will we see the defense pull some type of antic to slow the beginning and/or ending of the trial down -- with the probable goal to delay sentencing? My guess is that they have this tactic already setup, I hope the judge blows it up before it begins.

Here is an AP article I missed on April 11th...on CBS St. Louis, KMOX:

Mirabelli, Sheri's cousin is quoted:
>> “It’s hard to believe that almost two years have passed. It’s such a traumatic event, and time doesn’t dull the impact,” Mirabelli said. “You want the trial to get started because you have questions, and you hope the trial is going to provide answers.”

At the same time, he said, the trial would force “family members to have to relive what happened, and that’s not going to be comfortable.”<<

To the family and friends of Sheri, Gavin and Garrett:
Please stay strong. Know that Sheri, Gavin and Garrett are in a safe place with incredible love surrounding them. They do not fear, they have no pain or sorrow, they do not grieve or remember that which was done to them. The grief and pain are within those who remain living, loving and missing them.

For it is written:
Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

[They cannot possibly remember what was done to them without sorrow, thus they have no memory of it IF you believe God's word.]

It is also written:
Mark 9:42 And whosoever shall offend one of [these] little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

For Sheri, Gavin and Garrett, there is peace. For us, for them, we may have a beginning of peace when we see that their offender, the one that took their lives, is given the bill for what he has done. I'll stop with saying that I think that the offense against Sheri and the children was the worst, but I believe Chris went way beyond offending humans and stepped into another plain of grave offense.

I'm anxious to follow this trial. I've lurked and read news reports, but now that the trial is here - I'm super interested!

Twitter note...

Pistor reports that judge has ordered press not to ask Coleman questions when he is being transported to court.

Greetings All,

We're almost ready for the trial with the jury selection nearly complete -- possibly tomorrow, 9 days after it began.

According to this article by Chris Hayes (hey! good to see you Chris):

>>Jury selection is wrapping up in the Chris Coleman triple murder case. After picking a large pool of people, attorneys now think they can make final selections first thing Tuesday. The final stage happens at 9 A.M. in Perry County, where the Courts hoped to find people who didn't know as much about the high profile case. <<

There is also a video at the above link... Also in the article:

>>Attorneys hoped to get 52 in the pool, but they settled on 47 after prosecutors volunteered to drop the number of strikes they'll make to kick out jurors they don't like.<<

It is thought that the selection of the 12 jurors and alternates should now go quickly because the attorneys have already asked many questions.

more at the article

The Belleville News Democrat's Beth Hundsdorfer reports:

>>The process began with filling out a 34-page questionnaire last Monday, then continued with a 20- to 45-minute personal interview about their opinions, beliefs and personal experiences and may end with a decision about whether to order death or life in prison without parole for Coleman.<<

BTW, Beth mentions there are spectators watching the questioning of the witnesses. You would think that with reporters and spectators in the courtroom we surely would be hearing more details during this jury selection process. Are people withholding information so that they can write a book later or are they doing their homework or sleeping while sitting in the courtroom?

I'd like to find the website of one of the spectators. Maybe they will find us and share.

Beth's article is a good place to catch up on a few things about the jury selection process that has been going on this past week.

Jury Selected:

10 women, 2 men; 4 alternates all men

>>Jurors include a nursing assistant, a woman whose son was murdered, a retired man from Continental tire, and a lawyer and former public defender.<<

Lawyers stopped questioning prospective jurors when the count hit 47.

Whew... I don't know... Do you think that the defense figures they have a better chance in this with a majority of men sitting on the jury? Or do you think that somehow, all the attorneys are trying to keep women from having to see what they will see in the photos?

In another article on KSDK, Casey Nolen reporting.

The judge reminded the jurors not to talk to anyone about the case, they'll be sworn in on Monday.

>>Before the final jurors were selected, the defense expressed concern because it said 35 to 46 of the jurors in the pool had heard about the Coleman case. They pushed again for a change of venue, but the judge denied it. <<

Uh...yeah, let's see, let's move the case to Jamaica.

>>Chris Coleman's parents made what could be their last visit to the Perry County Jail Monday night. <<

The Judge has ordered that no one, reporter or private citizen can "speak to Coleman while he walks to and from the courthouse."

The article actually says 10 women and 2 men...Surprised that the defense would let it skew this way---CC is toast regardless, but I think women will relate better to Sherri and her plight....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926