Kaine creates Kyron Horman Foundation

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay, I'm going to say it - I'm a bit perturbed. Wasn't it said for many days before and right after the pizza fundraiser that the money raised was going to Multnomah County for the SAR team (or similar)?

IMO, all 14k should have went to where they said it was going. When they divide it up after the fact, I think that's wrong. Not that I have issue with Kaine's new foundation. But the money should have went where it was promised it was going, not divided up after the fact.

You're right. From the link in Kimster's thread:

Kaine Horman and Desiree Young said the pizza restaurants will donate 25 percent of the profits for Sept. 1 to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office search and rescue team. The volunteer organization helps search for missing people and evidence at crime scenes. It spent weeks look for any trace of Kyron around the school in rural Northwest Multnomah County and other locations.

Kaine Horman and Desiree Young said the pizza restaurants will donate 25 percent of the profits for Sept. 1 to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office search and rescue team. The volunteer organization helps search for missing people and evidence at crime scenes. It spent weeks look for any trace of Kyron around the school in rural Northwest Multnomah County and other locations.

Sgt. Diana Olsen, head of search and rescue at the sheriff's office, said the $8,000 will be added to the Kyron Horman Fund, set up at Bank of America after the 7-year-old disappeared. Before Friday, that account held at least $14,000 in donations from around the country, said a spokesman, Sgt. Travis Gullberg. He said the Bank of America is managing the money and that nothing has been spent.

Olsen said the sheriff's office will let Horman and Young decide how the funds are used. Eventually, the money could go towards helping with other child abduction cases, Gullberg said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/kaine_horman_holding_out_hope.html

Okay, I'm going to say it - I'm a bit perturbed. Wasn't it said for many days before and right after the pizza fundraiser that the money raised was going to Multnomah County for the SAR team (or similar)?

IMO, all 14k should have went to where they said it was going. When they divide it up after the fact, I think that's wrong. Not that I have issue with Kaine's new foundation. But the money should have went where it was promised it was going, not divided up after the fact.

I, too, am bothered by what I have read about the disbursement of funds that were raised for Kyron searches. As I'm not a local, I wasn't able to order pizzas but considered calling in a donation towards the cause. After serious consideration, I decided that I would prefer to donate money for a specific purpose in honor of Kyron, and that is exactly what I've done. I would have been very upset if I had donated money to Godfather's Pizza with the belief that my contribution was specifically for SAR and later learned that it had gone to a "foundation". jmo

Even if they had announced where the money was going prior (well, they did announce it but they changed their minds) - what I mean is, had they said THIS prior to the fundraiser, I still would have taken my kids for pizza that night and bought the bracelets. I just dislike people changing things after the fact.

Thanks RubyRed. I missed that part about them letting KH & DY decide where the $ should go.

IMO it isn't about letting Dy/KH decide where the funds were to go. It is them deciding, advertising it that way and then changing their minds after the fact. that bothers me.

In related news, why would then need to give any money to MCSO? Didn't MCSO GIVE BACK money because they had enough? Just curious.

bbm

It's possible that 25% of the day's profits ($8,000) did go to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

The news article from today said that the restaurant donated 25% of the day's sales ($14,000 out of a total of $56,000), dividing it by giving $8,000 (25% of the profits) to the MCSO and the rest ($6,000) to The Kyron Horman Foundation.
In other words, they may have had sales of $56,000 and profits of $24,000, a fourth of which went to MCSO. =

So:
Sales = 56,000
25% of sales = 14,000 (THE TOTAL AMOUNT DONATED)
Profits = 24,000
25% of profits = 8,000 (AMOUNT PROMISED TO MCSO)
Difference = $6,000 (AMOUNT DONATED TO KYRON FOUNDATION)

As the former owner of pizza restaurants, if this profit margin (42%) and sales numbers are correct, I want to own this restaurant!

bbm

It's possible that 25% of the day's profits ($8,000) did go to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

The news article from today said that the restaurant donated 25% of the day's sales ($14,000 out of a total of $56,000), dividing it by giving $8,000 (25% of the profits) to the MCSO and the rest ($6,000) to The Kyron Horman Foundation.
In other words, they may have had sales of $56,000 and profits of $24,000, a fourth of which went to MCSO. =

So:
Sales = 56,000
25% of sales = 14,000 (THE TOTAL AMOUNT DONATED)
Profits = 24,000
25% of profits = 8,000 (AMOUNT PROMISED TO MCSO)
Difference = $6,000 (AMOUNT DONATED TO KYRON FOUNDATION)

As the former owner of pizza restaurants, if this profit margin (42%) and sales numbers are correct, I want to own this restaurant!

I think Kaine and Desiree got it wrong.

Godfather's Pizza donated 25 percent of the day's sales, raising $14,000

I don't think there are too many foundations, there are just too many missing and murdered children.
if parents of missing,exploited, or murdered children want to set up 10 foundations to help others and if it makes them feel productive when they are at their lowest point, then more power to them and I wish them the best.

Okay I am going to say this. I think that there are getting to be too many foundations set up when a loved one goes missing. It just isn't realistic that a foundation can be set up everytime a person goes missing. Why not put the resources towards a foundation that is established. For example, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, Texas Equusearch and Polly Klaas Foundation to name just a few. jmo

Agree.

Right. People who choose to donate should know exactly what they are donating to...

I wonder if those were Kaine's exact words......."It was a struggle for us"?
Was ? It sounds like Kyron has been found. I would think it is still a struggle not was a struggle sounds strange.

I've heard from other parents of missing family (in interviews) that when you lose a loved one, the first days are a blur of grief and fear and panic. LE does all they can but most of these families need to print up their own flyers and get publicity out there. Kyron's family faced having to do that without knowing what to do, in the midst of their grief, fear and panic. That's tough. Now they have coordinated their efforts and have a plan in place. It was tough before they got that together. Seems real clear to me.
But I agree that having numerous foundations may dilute the good work that they can do. I think the Carrington Sund Foundation is a great one, (don't know if they operate out of Oregon though), that will coordinate all of that stuff for the family, will appoint a family spokesperson, will coordinate call centers, searches, and has someone to speak with the family and hold their hand throughout it. KlaasKids also assists, in a similar manner, the parents of missing children. But I don't know how far reaching these programs are or if the parents of missing kids want or need to create foundations that can be used to facilitate the search for only their child, as they cannot dictate what happens to the money donated to the other foundations and how much of it goes to efforts to find their specific child. So, I understand why they would want their own foundation.

I agree-there are too many individual foundations and when there are, none will ever get enough money. People are more likely to donate to the bigger, established ones, like Marc Klass', and he has made this a fulltime job.

I know Kaine and Desiree need to feel like they are doing all they can. But I am still confused about the need for fundraising for searches. MCSO has said they have enough money, they are only waiting for viable tips as to more places to search.

If it is to be used for a private investigator, I could understand that. But to say it is for searches is vague. Searches will always be conducted by LE in the cases of missing children, as far as I know. That is partly what tax dollars are for.

LE of course always searches but obviously they are limited in what they can do and sometimes they reasonably limit searches, and sometimes unreasonably limit searches. Regardless, if a person remains missing when LE has halted searches, the need for searches does not diminish. That's why families of missing people often coordinate their own searches. That's why TES is often called in by families of a missing loved one. Because LE cannot or will not always do all that needs to be done. I think about Susan Powell who LE is not conducting ground searches for (not criticizing them though. It's like finding a needle in a hay stack).
So, even though our tax dollars go for such searches, if I knew someone who was missing, I would not rest on my laurels waiting for the government to get it done. I'd call TES or coordinate my own searches in some fashion. I see nothing unreasonable in what these parents are doing.

besides finding the new site, Kaine Horman and Young helped with a fundraiser Wednesday at 12 Godfather's Pizza locations in the Portland area. Bracelets and gift baskets were sold, and Godfather's Pizza donated 25 percent of the day's sales, raising $14,000. On Friday, Godfather's co-owner Pat Cahill gave an $8,000 check to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office for search and rescue efforts.

The rest went to Kaine Horman for the newly created Kyron Horman Foundation, which he established to pay for other fundraisers, fliers, bracelets and whatever else is needed to raise awareness about his son.

Horman said that once Kyron comes home he wants to use the foundation to help other families pay for fliers and other forms of support when their children disappear, as Kyron did.

"It was a struggle for us," Horman said. "There was so much that was overwhelming. I want to go out there and help them."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/kaine_horman_holding_out_hope.html

How great! There sure are a lot of victim families/loved ones who lack the money and organizational skills to get fliers and momentos out to the public - especially during a crisis. I hope Kaine gets very involved in this for his sake and so many others. :yes:

Wow...I wonder if people who bought pizza will ask for their money back?

Are Kaine and Desiree willing to have outside searchers such as Tim Miller, I wonder? The money could be used in that way. But that would be giving voice to the possibility that Kyron is not alive. I don't understand how money can be used to search for Kyron, if he is alive. That part confuses me. :(

I think Kaine and Desiree got it wrong.

Godfather's Pizza donated 25 percent of the day's sales, raising $14,000

Well, actually, I agree. It wouldn't be all that generous to donate 25% of a day's profits. (I mean not much of a sacrifice for the store, considering the publicity.)

It's likely that 25% of a day's sales might be close to 100% of the day's profit.

I don't think there are too many foundations, there are just too many missing and murdered children.
if parents of missing,exploited, or murdered children want to set up 10 foundations to help others and if it makes them feel productive when they are at their lowest point, then more power to them and I wish them the best.

I agree. And if the money is used to keep Kyron's face in the media and his name in the public arena, then I'm all for it.

So many people here at WS have wanted bracelets, t-shirts, fliers, and such, but we had no way to get them because they were being produced in such small quantity. I am hoping that Kaine will have enough bracelets and shirts made that he can sell them online and that the money that is made will be returned to the foundation to make more bracelets, hold events, and such.

It doesn't matter whether you're on the fence, off the fence, on which side of the fence, whatever... I just fail to see how this can be bad for a missing child or missing children in general.

I can't imagine anyone doing something so callous and tacky. Plus, they got a pizza for the regular pizza price. I guess if they want to return the pizza they can get their money back.

This whole thing just goes to show that even when something is done with good intentions, people will manipulate it in such a way to find fault with it. It's disheartening for anyone who may have planned to do something similar for Kyron, but seeing the controversy, decides to back out.

Of course, I don't think the community at large in Portland is the least bit suspicious or disappointed in how the fundraiser went, nor with where the money went. So I guess a little grumbling on WS won't have any effect on fundraising in Portland. I hope not, anyway.

I'm still very concerned about the "was" line. It is shown in quotes, so if Kaine did not use those exact words I hope he has phoned his attorney. This is a terrible comment, either way you look at it.
I think this is in reference to setting up the foundation and all that goes with that process.
IMO, the "it" is in reference to the immediately preceding paragraphs and not referencing Kyron in the past tense, if that is what you mean.

I have inserted in red what I think he meant.

The rest went to Kaine Horman for the newly created Kyron Horman Foundation, which he established to pay for other fundraisers, fliers, bracelets and whatever else is needed to raise awareness about his son.

Horman said that once Kyron comes home he wants to use the foundation to help other families pay for fliers and other forms of support when their children disappear, as Kyron did.

"It[establishing a foundation/fundraisers/fliers/braceletes/awareness/etc] was a struggle for us," Horman said. "There was so much that was overwhelming. I want to go out there and help them [
other families pay for fliers/support/.....when their children disappear]."

ETA: ok so i guess I drove that point home after everyone else already said it LOL. I am slow but I show up eventually.

I think most are big hearted and sympathetic to the misery this family has had to endure, that they would never be so selfish and self centered as to actually ask for money back. it would be a sad day if that happened.
I only donate to those organizations that I trust to do what they deem best with the donations. No strings attached, just help to find Kyron any way they can. If they need money for fliers instead of SAR, so be it and I would only hope my dollars help in some small way.

Hi, all, throwing in my two cents.

Thirty-one years ago, my brother went missing and wasn’t found for ten long days. That waiting-time until his body was found brutally murdered was excruciating. Having lived this nightmare, although for a much briefer time, I know first-hand what this family is going through.

To honor my brother’s memory, my dad established a foundation in the early 1980’s to give money to others in need. All foundations are set up differently, but our by-laws state that we have to give a certain percentage of the Foundation’s grant money to drug/alcohol programs because our brother was murdered indirectly as a result of drugs. The remainder of the money goes to various non-profits that we (my two sisters and I), as Board Members, all care about.

Over the last three decades, we have donated to animals (Humane Society, PAWS, Katrina animals), families in transition, local schools, local food banks, local senior centers, local Christmas "toys-for-kids," and many other local things.

Giving money to these diverse groups and watching them thrive as a result, has been the only positive thing to come from my brother’s murder.

We could have given the money to one of the bigger organizations to distribute, but we chose not to. Having our own foundation allows us to know and decide exactly where our money is going. Perhaps this is what Kaine and Desiree want to do with Kyron’s Foundation. Have some control over where the money goes and who benefits from it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back