Katrina survivors distraught over pets

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dark Knight said:
Yup, your siggy has always summed up my opinion exactly.

:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: thanks for understanding Knight

No way I would leave my cat behind. No way. I would carry him out rather than leave him behind.

I am sure that the pets are a big reason why many people stayed behind.

My husband and I just talked about this tonight, and discussed what we would have done had we been residents of NO.... (we have 5 indoor cats) ~ and we came to the quick conclusion that we would not have evacuated had we not been able to bring our cats, they're our babies, our children, and there is just no way I could bring myself to leave them to starve, dehydrate or drown. I know that fellow pet lovers will understand this.... pets are very much part of the family. I would die with them before leaving them to die alone in a flooded home. I am so teary right now just thinking about these unfortunate people who were forced to make that heartwrenching decision. :(

I heard Houston has 600 pets rescued in their shelters.....where they found the room I have no idea. I am going to check it out though and would love to take in a couple and reunite them someday with their family. I can't imagine the psychological effects of everything going on and then having to leave your pet. I just don't think we could do it....we'd rather walk and hope to heck someone would drop us food/water while we're walking!!!!! Our pets are family.......as they are to many.

Hey Sassy, I saw a short news clip where a center near the astrodome and the other place was opening up. They are taking the animals of the evacuees. They have kennels and carriers set up, with plenty of donated food and water for the animals. It is staffed with volunteers and vets, however it is the responsibility of the owners to come and feed and walk the animals.

We have 3 dogs and two cats. I really just could't leave them and I am sure my kids wouldn't allow me to. My thought was that I would ask for food rationings and water and just start walking also hoping that one of the renegade buses etc. would pick me up.

2luvmy said:
Hey Sassy, I saw a short news clip where a center near the astrodome and the other place was opening up. They are taking the animals of the evacuees. They have kennels and carriers set up, with plenty of donated food and water for the animals. It is staffed with volunteers and vets, however it is the responsibility of the owners to come and feed and walk the animals.

We have 3 dogs and two cats. I really just could't leave them and I am sure my kids wouldn't allow me to. My thought was that I would ask for food rationings and water and just start walking also hoping that one of the renegade buses etc. would pick me up.

I have no doubt the volunteers and vets would feed the animals if the owners don't show up (hopefully)! I am so sad over this whole situation, but was brought to tears the other night seeing a pic of a dog sitting on the steps to a house that was surrounded by water. I questioned myself why in the heck this upset me so much when there are people dying. The dog was so symbolic. He was a symbol of hopelessness at the time. There he sat, all alone, so loyal and no chance of rescue. Who knows if his owner was dead in the house....but there he waited.

I am sure they would feed the animals, I think the woman was indicating that the evacuees would be free to come and feed and walk their animals.

Was it the brown dog sitting on the roof? I saw that one. Sad!!! I just can't imagine I just couldn't handle leaving my doggies. They cry when I leave them in the car to run into the gas station.

Gabby said:
My dogs would sit in my lap... I would NOT leave them.. they are the only things in this world that love a person unconditionally.... they stay... I stay.. simple as that.

i wouldn't leave my dog either. she's my child - plain and simple.

My pets are also my kids and there's no way I could ever leave them behind. My mind can't erase the black lab mix I saw on a roof. The owners were being rescued and lifted up by the helicopter and the dog was there wagging his tail thinking he'd be going too. Then the helicopter lifted off leaving the dog behind, and I cried.

There are rescue efforts going on now to get pets out. Volunteers in boats are going up and down and rescuing cats, dogs, anything they can find. Lafayette has taken some in. Those with tags have a chance to be reunited with owners. Someone needs to start a website and post pictures of rescued pets to up the chances of reunions. Our local evacuees are being taken to the public libraries when they need to use the internet, since there is free access there.

I would never leave my pet either. We'd be together, hopefully evacuated, but I would never leave Ninja behind. He is a part of my family.

I'm interested in fostering some small dogs (2 or 3). My male dachshund has a "child" in New Orleans that I've been worried about. Does anyone know the best way to get on a list to foster?

Does anyone have any information on where we can go to "adopt-a-pet", even if it's temporary until the owners can get housing and back on their feet? I could take in one dog and would gladly do so. I mean, I know there are sites like petfinder and things, but does the Humane Society or anything have a specific site set up for adoption of animals from the hurricane? TIA.

kahskye said:
My pets are also my kids and there's no way I could ever leave them behind. My mind can't erase the black lab mix I saw on a roof. The owners were being rescued and lifted up by the helicopter and the dog was there wagging his tail thinking he'd be going too. Then the helicopter lifted off leaving the dog behind, and I cried.
I saw that and cried too! The owner was a big chubby guy, crying like a baby over his dog. My heart broke for them both.

We can only hope that all of the pets will be rescued and taken care of. It is so very sad that the people were forced to leave without their pets. I think, rather than leave my pets, I would rather stay, and take my chances, at least until I could leave with them. Leaving a pet like that must be like having your heart ripped out, leaving a giant permanent hole in you.

Hopefully, as some have mentioned, this will turn into a crusade to save all of the pets, and care for them, and feed them, until such time when the owners can provide a home for them again. That would certainly help those families emotionally after this huge loss they have all suffered.

Mabel said:
This just breaks my heart. So much loss and heartache.
Awww this is so sad to me. My Sadie (German Shepherd) wouldnt know what to do without me. She thinks I'm her mother. I don't know how I could live with myself if I had to leave her behind the thought brings tears to my eyes.

Ntegrity said:
I'm interested in fostering some small dogs (2 or 3). My male dachshund has a "child" in New Orleans that I've been worried about. Does anyone know the best way to get on a list to foster?
I don't know where in Florida you are, but the Animal Hospital of Panama City Beach is asking for foster parents. Many people evacuated over here and more are coming. Alot of the hotels still don't allow pets and their owners have been told about the Animal Hospital. The hospital is expecting to receive many dogs/cats in the coming weeks. If you wish to be put on the list to foster a pet, you can call them at 850-233-7091.

I'm in Ft. Walton Beach. We were barely affected by Katrina, so why is Panama City a problem since they're even farther away? :confused:

Ntegrity said:
I'm in Ft. Walton Beach. We were barely affected by Katrina, so why is Panama City a problem since they're even farther away? :confused:
Panama City Beach IN NOT a problem, hardly any damage from the hurricane. I was stating that the Animal Hospital is fostering animals here for the hurricane victims. Many victims evacuated over here and now have no place to return to. Many brought their pets w/ them and are looking for temporary homes for them while they get situated. The Animal Hospital of Panama City Beach is setting up a foster care program for these victim's pets. The owner of the hospital also owns a clinic in Mary Ester and may be offering to foster pets there as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit
Back