Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some here in the county are afraid to speak publicly because they have seen the attacks on others who spoke well of Mullins or who tried to quell the rumors. But in conversation after conversation held on the condition that the people not be identified, a disturbing picture of what really transpired as begun to emerge.
As courthouse workers screamed and sobbed, what they found out sent shockwaves across country - The Mountain Eagle

to me this suggests that people who are speaking well of Mullins and not buying the rumors of what some say justifies or mitigates Stines actions have supplied an alternate theory of why Stines did what he did. I for one would love see this disturbing picture they are painting. It sounds as if it is not something disturbing about Mullins the way it is framed here, but rather something disturbing about Stines. JMO MOO

Totally agree.

I have said from the beginning that this was a straight up exection. And it has been so curious to me that many people insinuate that MS was justified, hint that KM was shady or bad in some way, etc. When, as a Sheriff and a previous Officer of the Court, MS of all people should know to take any grievances to court. Instead, he executed a judge (a supposed friend on top of their professional relationship). MS's sister in law said on the fundraising appeal that there was not SA as rumors seemed to say.

I get the vibe that MS is a bully. A terrifying and dangerous bully. And while some may approve of that and praise him, enjoy being a part of that good ol' boys gang, others may falsely praise him out of terror. Because he's still alive. If he gets off, he'll be free back in the community at some point. And if he's fine executing his friend the judge, it's scary to think what he may do to anyone else he decides he has a grievance against. His buddies may be keeping tabs on who is saying what in the meantime.

I, too, would love to know what supporters of victim KM are saying but are afraid to speak publicly. That seems pretty damning of MS, imo.

All MOO.

Stampers cell texts?
Interesting...

"A woman reportedly employed by the Letcher County Sheriff’s Office also gave her phone to investigators to be examined. Stamper testified that she was one of Stines’ employees and believed she’d received text messages from Stines that detailed what occurred at lunch and ultimately led to the shooting."

I am speaking to the assertion that witnesses HEARD arguing from the chambers.

It is self evident that some sort of argument must have led to this shooting. But testimony from Stamper was as follows:

DEFENSE - Okay, so if I'm understanding correctly you're preparing for a preliminary hearing on a murder and there are witnesses in an adjacent room....

DETECTIVE - They heard gunshots.

DEFENSE - So you are investigating a murder and testifying at a preliminary hearing, and there are witnesses who may have overheard what preceded this edited clip, yet you can't tell us today anything that they said?

DETECTIVE - I've not personally listened to those interviews. I've talked to the other officers that did those interviews.

DEFENSE - Fair enough. I mean, we're here at a preliminary hearing, as you know, you can testify to hearsay, I'm asking what they said.

DETECTIVE - They heard gunshots.

DEFENSE - Okay. Was there any statements that they overheard?

DETECTIVE - No.

DEFENSE - Were there raised voices?

DETECTIVE - There... one person stated that she heard... she didn't recognize him as being Judge Mullens' voice, but heard somebody say 'help, help'.

DEFENSE - Presumably, that will be after the firearm was drawn or shot?

Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024
So Stamper's testimony is really questionable. The burden is pretty low here and he is trying to be vague but still connect dots. But it seems that a lot of what he is states is either in question or clearly being refuted, sometimes by his own later comments.

Totally agree.

I have said from the beginning that this was a straight up exection. And it has been so curious to me that many people insinuate that MS was justified, hint that KM was shady or bad in some way, etc. When, as a Sheriff and a previous Officer of the Court, MS of all people should know to take any grievances to court. Instead, he executed a judge (a supposed friend on top of their professional relationship). MS's sister in law said on the fundraising appeal that there was not SA as rumors seemed to say.

I get the vibe that MS is a bully. A terrifying and dangerous bully. And while some may approve of that and praise him, enjoy being a part of that good ol' boys gang, others may falsely praise him out of terror. Because he's still alive. If he gets off, he'll be free back in the community at some point. And if he's fine executing his friend the judge, it's scary to think what he may do to anyone else he decides he has a grievance against. His buddies may be keeping tabs on who is saying what in the meantime.

I, too, would love to know what supporters of victim KM are saying but are afraid to speak publicly. That seems pretty damning of MS, imo.

All MOO.
Around 11 minutes into this video, you can see why.

ETA: The sheriff where I live is very popular. Sheriffs can be theatrical. (They aren't constrained by the same legal ethics that judges are constrained) They give press conferences, they pose with booty, they stage perp walks etc. Most people couldn't name a judge if they tried.

What's weird: I'm seeing online support for MS in places other than KY and even other countries. I think people watch too many vigilante movies or something.

Last edited:
I wonder how difficult it would be for a plaintiff to substantiate the inner dealings of a high ranking official in a good ol’ boys network?
Very difficult, if not impossible. Unless... Something "broke" and the cats were all out of the bag and "herders" had to "scurry" to recover... Would make for a scrambled discussion of the offered "facts".

Who is "both" were doing shady things?

I trust OP understands only Fields was indicted and charged with taking an offender who was on pretrial bail release to Mullins Chambers and restroom for sexual favors in exchange for manipulating the defendants ankle monitor and detention file the evening before defendant's Court hearing to make it appear the defendant had been compliant for the full month when only compliant for the hearing date. Sexual favors with plaintiffs mostly occurred in Fields vehicle.

“In return for not reporting them for violating the terms of their probation, they would give sexual favors. Fields did that to approximately three women,” Pillersdorf said.

Some of the abuses happened in Mullins’ chambers, according to the attorney’s client.

Fields plead guilty to 3rd degree rape, a Class D felony, served 6 months in jail, 6.5 years probation, and is a registered sex offender. So no, there wasn't rampant, nightly sex happening in Mullins Chambers, and no evidence that Mullins or Stines had knowledge of the abuses happening in Chambers.

Sexual Favors
I think she is referring to the sheriff and the judge being "involved" in shady things, that Fields just capitalized on the circumstances. MOO

From testimony during the prelim hearing, we know that Mullins was not armed, and no weapon was located in his Chambers.

I just read for the first time that Judge Mullins was known to carry a gun for self-defense.

I wonder if Stines expected Mullins to be armed?

I wonder if Mullins would he have fired at Mickey Stines?

Mullins usually carried a gun for self-defense

Of all the time to go armed; after inviting someone into close private quarters to finish some point started an hour of so earlier, that would be the time. Just saying...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MG89
Back