Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Actually, it depends in what part of the country you are viewing this case from!

For example, I think the proper term in KY should be "probable cause hearing" because here, the lower court (District Court) Judge ruled that there was probable cause to bind the case to the Grand Jury, and not to Trial.

In the West, where Grand Jury Indictments are NOT the norm, and criminal charges are brought by Information and Complaint, Members here live for the "Preliminary Hearing" (PH) were we typically learn for the first time the details in the sealed probable cause affidavit supporting the Criminal Complaint.

What is often times a multi-day dispositional hearing, witnesses are called to present the states evidence against the defendant. Unlike a trial, rules are more relaxed during a preliminary hearing, and hearsay evidence is also allowed. The defense is also learning the states case against the defendant, usually in sufficient detail to know whether or not they want to change their plea or even go to trial. At the conclusion of the Preliminary Hearing, the Judge rules on whether or not the Prosecution proved that there is probable cause that the defendant committed the felony crimes as charged, and rules if the case if bound over for Trial. If the Judge does not agree probable cause proven, the charges against the defendant are dismissed.

To be clear, generally, a Preliminary Hearing replaces the Grand Jury. Unlike Kentucky, a defendant is not entitled to both a Preliminary Hearing AND a grand jury, and why I think it was confusing for many of us following this case.

IMO, listening to Stines hearing deemed as a "Preliminary Hearing" where the State's only witness, lead investigator Clayton Stamper, was beyond evasive in his answers to the defense, and and the defense called no witnesses to impeach Stamper, I don't think it should be called anything other than a probable cause hearing where the case was bound over to the grand jury for indictment. JMO
Those 5 commonwealths throw people side ways.

This whole motive in this case is baffling.

I do get "the other side of the bench" stuff. I live in a county with over 2 million and young lawyers work as prosecutors, they then go into private practice and become criminal defense attorneys. Sometimes they run for judge and they do that for several terms. So, that part doesn't surprise me.

I believe each district court has their own bailiff assigned to them.

The judge's chamber desk is strange, but this is a small town. I know in Texas a district court can serve numerous small counties, so a judge literally travels numerous counties hearing cases.

Less distorted image of the chambers here. From the narrative, it seems like he shot the judge four or five times.

The portion played in court opens with Stines standing and Mullins sitting at his desk in his black robe. This is what happened next:

Stines pointed his gun at Mullins from perhaps five feet away. The judge raised one hand, perhaps a gesture to ward off the threat, then turned away from Stines and hunkered over in his chair.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crime/article293386104.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Such a sad case. Don’t even want to imagine what sparked this murder. What could have been SO triggering to set this off? It appears something that involved the daughter, at least at the moment.

A little tidbit that caught my attention was that MS had lost 40 lbs in two weeks. Seems a bit extraordinary even for Ozempic, the latest weight loss craze, but who knows? Maybe anxiety, stress, sleeplessness? A thought that crossed my mind with regard to rapid weight loss is cancer. I’ve seen it too many times, but mostly in less rotund individuals. Let that take you where it may. Nothing to lose? Just a thought.

Eta: May be way off base, as he did speak of retiring and studying the law.
About his weight loss. My first thoughts were cancer, because he didn't know how he lost the weight. Hope Im wrong... jmo

I’ve frequently worked in rural areas in several midwestern states and farmers usually have their main meal at noon, “Dinner.” A lighter meal in the evening is “supper”

I grew up in the city and my parents always called the noon meal on Sundays “Sunday Dinner.”
I agree. In South Louisiana, our evening meal is called supper. We always ask for clarification when invited to dinner by nonlocals.

Pause the video at 00:41 ; it appears to be a brown-colored backpack ?
Also, why all the paper 'Dixie'-style cups ?
Don't they usually store those beside the large upside-down drink jugs, those 4-6 gallon ones ?
Omo.

That has to be a supply closet. No one can work with barely any room between wall and table/desk??

IMG_4406.png
I see the backpack.
What were those figure posters on the wall?

IMG_4407.jpeg

That has to be a supply closet. No one can work with barely any room between wall and table/desk??

View attachment 534987
I see the backpack.
What were those figure posters on the wall?

View attachment 534986

From the very clear photo @Friday Fan posted, the figures behind the judge look like miners on a quilt. I wonder if it was given to him in official capacity since he has it hanging in his office? (Something like it was given as thanks for help on a case related to a miner or miners?)

Also, I know it's just a split second but he looks/seems calm with a gun pointed at him. It either hadn't registered or he really didn't think MS would shoot.

MOO.

From the very clear photo @Friday Fan posted, the figures behind the judge look like miners on a quilt. I wonder if it was given to him in official capacity since he has it hanging in his office? (Something like it was given as thanks for help on a case related to a miner or miners?)

Also, I know it's just a split second but he looks/seems calm with a gun pointed at him. It either hadn't registered or he really didn't think MS would shoot.

MOO.
Maybe the quilt is a Zoom background?

Not unusual at all, ime. The Sheriff’s department protects the courthouse. They have access to all of the rooms, as well as video footage.
The issue of the bailiff’s access to the Judge’s chambers has always bothered me. I understand that he would have had access to ALMOST (IMO) area of the Courthouse, however, IME the Judge’s chambers are almost considered “sacred ground” with access only allowed by the Judge since a great deal of extremely confidential material may be within those walls.

I realize rules/restrictions may be less stringent in a small town where “everyone knows everyone”, but I still have trouble believing the bailiff had “unfettered” access to the Judge’s chambers after hours without the Judge being present or aware.

I am not saying the Judge knew and/or allowed access to the bailiff, but the whole scenario just seems “off”.

It also makes me wonder about the camera(s) in the chambers. When were they installed and why? Did the Judge and/or Sheriff know they were there? If the Judge knew they were there, was he able to activate/deactivate them or were they on a continuous loop? Was the audio always off or could that also be turned on/off by the Judge?

I can understand a camera(s) within the chambers WITH audio in the event of a discussion occurring between the Judge, attorneys, etc that needed to occur out of view of a jury, public, media, etc but which still needed to have a legal record. I just am having trouble wondering WHY there would be cameras recording on a “routine” basis.

MOO.
I am having a very hard time with the Sheriff being the bad guy. They voted for him. Next time I vote in a Sheriff I got a lot to think about. After all he is the face in public . Promising a protected county. I for real , am not sure if an appointed Judge who was forced to have camera's in his chambers.. is THE victim . Honestly to me it seems every voter is THE victim in this case. This should go on the permanent records of these guys. This case is not about their community and more about america , i feel . I can be dramatic as all get out.
It's a texan thing.

I am having a very hard time with the Sheriff being the bad guy. They voted for him. Next time I vote in a Sheriff I got a lot to think about. After all he is the face in public . Promising a protected county. I for real , am not sure if an appointed Judge who was forced to have camera's in his chambers.. is THE victim . Honestly to me it seems every voter is THE victim in this case. This should go on the permanent records of these guys. This case is not about their community and more about america , i feel . I can be dramatic as all get out.
It's a texan thing.
lol respectfully, I cannot stand the victim blaming which feels weirdly cultural in this case. It’s happening everywhere I look and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I’m waiting for more facts of actual wrongdoing before I denounce a murdered, elected city official.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back