Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m new to posting and have followed many cases over the years- but just now posting on this perplexing case- all my own opinions and thinking out-loud — given what is public information so far, and the nature of the intimate crimes committed in the judges office, abuse of power in the justice process in the county, the judge oversaw juvenile cases, and offered diversion programs for drug offenders, and that there were rumors of both possible corruption and that the sheriff’s daughter might be somehow involved…

Putting the pieces together, a scenario I have not seen (I’m not in social media so this could be out there or a stupid question,)

but hypothetically what if a daughter got caught up in something, drugs perhaps, and a friend of the family, a judge offered to help her “fix” the problem and she got in over her head, and then a father found out that his friend had gone to the dark side and was exploiting (or allowing the exploitation of) youthful offenders- and the father realizing this, then realizes that his own daughter was also exploited and in a fit of rage snapped and shoots his friend…

no evidence that this happened- all my opinion- but where I come from it’s much more worrying when someone gets enraged to the point of cold and calm vs all loud and hysterical - MS definitely seems to have wanted to make sure that the judge was dead and something on the phone seems to be the triggering event-

Nothing justifies executing someone and not blaming the victim however it might explain some of the odd variables- as in the south “he needed killing…” is still a cultural thing…

I’m my opinion, while there are reports of his behavior changing in recent weeks and not seeking reelection, and quiet at lunch - those could be preoccupations with a family issue or finding out unsavory information and trying to figure out how to get to the bottom of something and not DV or a MH breakdown- there wasn’t known irrational wild behavior- right up to the shooting itself

Just thinking out loud MOO

So I heard he was not accepting their calls. No ones calls. It might even be the reason his defense team is a bit..behind..

Perhaps he knows all calls will be recorded and anything incriminating against him can likely be used in court against him at a later time.

Or he's still acting paranoid.

MOO

What in the world did he mean by someone was "trying to kidnap his wife and kid"!? Was it said in the context of being an analogy? What would be that analogy?

"Stamper testified Stines requested to see the judge’s phone and then attempted to call his daughter from Mullins’s phone."

Stines tried to call his daughter's phone from the judge's phone (did the judge have her number in his phone!?) and seconds later stood up and shot him dead. And LE hasn't confiscated the daughter's phone yet!? Why ever not?

"Stamper testified based on preliminary information, the judge arranged a private meeting in his chambers with Stines."

It was the judge who asked Stines in for a private meeting in his chambers?

As you can see, I'm totally confused by this article. Wow, just Wow.
The judge had the daughter's number in his phone. This means that he had likely spoken with her previously.

But I don't know how he makes the leap that "they're trying to kidnap my wife and my kid" and shooting the judge until he was obviously dead. (4 or 5 times) He shot him twice and shot him three more times until he stopped moving.
Stines wanted the judge dead.

Obviously there is no evidence that his wife and kid are being kidnapped.

It goes to show you, the dangers involved when "settling things as friends and/or friend of the bench". MOO Stine was afforded the privilege because he was the sheriff.

Last edited:
So I heard he was not accepting their calls. No ones calls. It might even be the reason his defense team is a bit..behind..

After I posted I thought about how Stines would be well aware of how the recording works.

I don’t know how KY works but in my experience in other states family and friends cannot call inmates - all calls are recorded and the inmate has to initiate the call and they can be quite expensive depending on vendor- inmates can refuse visitation- in my experience, but they don’t get calls from the outside in my experience

All communication between the defense team and the defendant are strictly confidential. Have his attorneys visited him etc? Obviously that is confidential, so we don't know.....

I am having a very hard time with the Sheriff being the bad guy. They voted for him. Next time I vote in a Sheriff I got a lot to think about. After all he is the face in public . Promising a protected county. I for real , am not sure if an appointed Judge who was forced to have camera's in his chambers.. is THE victim . Honestly to me it seems every voter is THE victim in this case. This should go on the permanent records of these guys. This case is not about their community and more about america , i feel . I can be dramatic as all get out.
It's a texan thing.
Is it a texan (sic) thing to call elected judges appointed?

All communication between the defense team and the defendant are strictly confidential. Have his attorneys visited him etc? Obviously that is confidential, so we don't know.....
I know that . It is the refusal to communicate with his wife an daughter I was referencing. Which he has been doing.refusing.
Sheriff Stines has been refusing speaking to his wife and daughter , I did read he was talking to other family members though.

IF they are lead in they are bread in , mayb .
BUT he was appointed first and that made his life.
So you are generally in favour of elected officials shooting appointed officials in cold blood? That’s extreme.

Not going to ask you what bread in means because we are too far down the well.

So you are generally in favour of elected officials shooting appointed officials in cold blood? That’s extreme.

Not going to ask you what bread in means because we are too far down the well.
No , I am in favor of demoting ppl who have had their offices misused .

I know that . It is the refusal to communicate with his wife an daughter I was referencing. Which he has been doing.refusing.
Sheriff Stines has been refusing speaking to his wife and daughter , I did read he was talking to other family members though.
Do you have a link for that? I haven't heard about that. I'm wondering if that relates in some way to his saying someone was "trying to kidnap his wife and kid"?

Friday.. His wife and daughter have not seen him , and they requested to meet with him he refused the visit. I dont understand . Nothing to do with Lawyers or his defense. His wife and child have been refused by him to visit.

Do you have a link for that? I haven't heard about that. I'm wondering if that relates in some way to his saying someone was "trying to kidnap his wife and kid"?
I just heard that he has not spoken to them since his arrest. The links are out there. Most likely posted in threads on this forum. Its not like any media outlet sounds much better than Vinney . Plus I kinda get tired of saying stuff I saw here over an over .

Retired Letcher County sheriff’s deputy Eugene Slone was heading out the door of his eastern Kentucky home Thursday when his phone buzzed.

“When they told me what had happened, I thought it was a dream,” Slone, 54, told The Washington Post. “I couldn’t believe it was real.”

Slone, the retired deputy, lost a race for sheriff to Stines in 2018 after he was laid off from the office. After the election, another former deputy sued Stines, accusing him of retaliating against her by refusing to rehire her from a layoff because she had supported Slone’s candidacy. The lawsuit was resolved in Stines’s favor.

“Some loved him, some didn’t like him,” Slone said of the sheriff. “Some say he picked and choosed who he busted.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back