Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was under the impression that the calls were answered, so I had another look at @Allabouttrial ’s handy transcript from the first thread. I think the following is what led me to that impression:

DEFENSE - Did you conduct an interview with Sheriff Stine's daughter?

DETECTIVE - I did not but she has been interviewed.

<Snip>

DEFENSE - Do you intend to intended obtain records for her cell phone number?

DETECTIVE - Possibly, yes.

DEFENSE - Do you believe that that would be soon that you'll do that?

DETECTIVE - Could be, yes.

DEFENSE - Had you ever intended to do that or did you just... respond to my question?

DETECTIVE - Well, the call should be on the Judge's records too and she's made statements about what occurred during those conversations.

Bbm.

That last sentence is definitely ambiguous. The phrase “during those conversations” could refer to either

1. during the conversations LS had with MS on his and the judge’s phones, or

2. during the conversations LS had with the interviewers. I do tend to lean toward the first reading. Jmo.
or it could refer to her conversations with her father on his own phone and then on the judges. IF the theory is correct that at least one of the calls the sheriff made on his phone prior to using the judge's phone was to her.

DBM (wrong thread - sorry)

or it could refer to her conversations with her father on his own phone and then on the judges. IF the theory is correct that at least one of the calls the sheriff made on his phone prior to using the judge's phone was to her.
Bbm

We do have testimony to that effect. Also from the transcript:

DETECTIVE - I was told that Sheriff Stines had tried to call his daughter, and he had tried to call his daughter from the Judge's phone also.

Regardless, I still tend to believe that at least one call was answered by LS. And since we don’t know whether her number was in the judge’s contacts, it’s possible that whatever “triggered” MS to kill KM could have been something that was said , rather than something that was on the phone. MS’s looking at both phones might not have been about comparing them; rather, MS might have been using his contact info for his daughter to punch it into KM’s phone to call her. Moo, but it is so mysterious!

Thanks for linking this, @Dotta .

Here's the Daily Mail link for those not on Twitter/X :

Mullins seems so composed ... almost like he thought it wasn't real.
Wish there was a camera angle that showed Stines' facial expression.
Was he livid ?
Cold and calm ?
Idk.
Omo.

Wanted to add; that after reading through the previous thread and this one, and many msm articles ...
I still can't fathom any realistic valid excuse for murder.
It's understandable given Stines' remarks referring to 'kidnapping' or, 'taking/preventing him from' his wife and daughter, that he wanted to protect them or something ?
How is he going to accomplish this in jail ?
What did Stines gain through his actions ?
Imo--- he is not a victim.
No way, no how, no excuse.
Just my .02.
Omo.

I wondered that too. The judge's phone appears to be face up on the desk. It could be still be on. (Per Stamper, Stines phone was found on his person.)
Another thought: The daughter did not answer her father's calls. He then borrows the judge's phone and dials her. She, thinking it was then the judge, could have answered and immediately said something like 'Judge, I think my Dad is trying to call me'. That could have set off the sheriff if (assuming a DV or restraining order scenario) he realizes that his friend is helping his family behind his back - a betrayal to him. He then draws the weapon.

If eliminating the judge equated to protecting his family, his goal has already been accomplished-

Doesn’t make it right
Doesn’t make him a victim
But he might have nothing further to accomplish
moo
Well, the sheriff could have just packed up his family and left town!
Nothing justifies this. MOO

I can't figure out any situation that allows a law enforcement officer to shoot someone based on something on someone's phone etc.

Last edited:
I agree with blind rage- but perhaps there were “bad things” happening and the judge was somehow involved and the sheriff knew some things as bailiff but maybe found out more about it after becoming sheriff and then something tipped the scales and it became personal and the sheriff snapped when he found out something “unforgivable” -

Hypothetically if there was something illicit going on with kickbacks /abuse of power regarding the rehab facilities and shortened sentences etc- if folks were coerced into going (court ordered vs voluntarily getting admitted) and all was not as it seems, in addition to the abuse of power in the case of SA happening the judges office- a sheriff finding out that his trusted friend was involved would be a shocking betrayal- additionally finding out that your wife and daughter were involved/ harmed/ potentially going to be harmed might be enough for someone to snap and shot someone in mercilessly in blind rage-

No indication that this is anything near to the truth, but in my mind at least it’s a plausible scenario of events- given the limited information currently available publicly— MOO
I agree that since the Sheriff's family plays into this first-hand (the phone calls to his daughter), that could cause the actions on that video. The things that make me think it might not be that would be the lawsuit, his upcoming deposition and the judge suggesting the discussion move to in his chambers (did the judge know his chambers were being videoed?). JMO

So many questions really.

Thanks for linking this, @Dotta .

Here's the Daily Mail link for those not on Twitter/X :

Mullins seems so composed ... almost like he thought it wasn't real.
Wish there was a camera angle that showed Stines' facial expression.
Was he livid ?
Cold and calm ?
Idk.
Omo.
Oh,?
I watched a video of it and he looked terrified.. He ended up crawling on the ground to get under his desk to get away

Nothing justifies this.
I totally agree- the post was asking questions

I was merely providing plausible (in my opinion) answers and that he might not have anything to accomplish from jail and he gained the elimination of the judge-

I don’t know the whole story and and don’t know motivation - I do not see MS as a “victim” nor his actions as “justified” -

I can imagine scenarios where MS did what he felt he needed to do to protect his family, after a series of events and a trigger event, fully aware of the consequences of his actions

MOO

I can imagine scenarios where MS did what he felt he needed to do to protect his family, after a series of events and a trigger event, fully aware of the consequences of his actions
And fully prepared to accept the consequences. I tend to agree. It seems like his mindset is one of “I’m just going to man up, and come what may, I’ll take it.” Moo.

The things that make me think it might not be that would be the lawsuit, his upcoming deposition and the judge suggesting the discussion move to in his chambers (did the judge know his chambers were being videoed?).
Maybe they are all related? (I don’t know one way or the other) but perhaps-
—He gained new information over the past weeks about something illicit going on- (explains he stressed/erratic behavior)
—He learns even more information at the deposition a few days prior to the incident
—He asked some guarded but pointed questions at lunch indicating that he knew more about the situation
—The judge could have shut down the questions with a let’s talk in chambers
— MS confronts the Judge, suspicions are confirmed, and the sheriff was pushed over the line and did what he did

I think that both men probably knew about the camera, but I suppose it could have been the sheriff did it on his own as part of the investigation - I have no clue about KY rules about audio visual recordings

I am not committed at all to any explanation of events- I can see scenarios where the events might be interconnected- or they might be totally unrelated - no idea- too little is known- MOO

Oh,?
I watched a video of it and he looked terrified.. He ended up crawling on the ground to get under his desk to get away
I am referring to the photos at the very beginning.
Which, imo. says he didn't think this Stines had reason to kill him -- makes me think Stines was at that point totally off his rocker with paranoia or rage or both ?
As in -Mullins was thinking what in the world ??
None of us has the right to take the law in our own hands and that includes Stines.
Omo.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member