Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is a good summary by a Kentucky law firm explaining extreme emotional disturbance. The burden is on the prosecution to prove there was NOT extreme emotional disturbance or the murder charge may be reduced to manslaughter in the first degree.

This is a good summary by a Kentucky law firm explaining extreme emotional disturbance. The burden is on the prosecution to prove there was NOT extreme emotional disturbance or the murder charge may be reduced to manslaughter in the first degree.
Thank you- that is very helpful

Here is just a little nugget that may mean nothing or it may mean the defense attorney is trying to change the narrative.
It has been reported all over mainstream media that the Sheriff said two things after he walked out of the judge's chambers and surrendered. He said, "Treat me fair," and "They're trying to kidnap my wife and kid." Yet when the defense lawyer was interviewed on Crime Fix from the Law and Crime Network, the defense attorney said, "And you take that in companion with the statement that our client felt like his wife AND (BBM) his daughter was in danger, then we think there is certainly something there that is going to support our contention that Mr. Stines felt as though he had to act."
That's not what the sheriff said. He said, "They're trying to kidnap my wife and daughter." I know I am splitting hairs, but maybe not.
Listen to the video starting at @17:05

For clarification purposes, I don't believe the statements by Stines were anywhere near as simultaneous as as presented by OP.

Lead detective Clayton Stamper, KSP, testified that he arrived at the Courthouse later than the others. He believes Trooper Jason Bates was the first KSP personnel on scene, followed by Detective Chris Collins, Detective Scott (?), Detective Eric Caldwell and then Stamper.

Under direct examination, Stamper testified that when he arrived, he observed Stines to appear mostly calm. Stamper talked to him, he was kind of afraid that... basically all he said was 'treat me fair,' that's basically the comments he made.

On the other hand, Stamper wasn't present, and did not hear the alleged comments by Stines about "They're trying to kidnap my wife and kid." During the preliminary hearing, Stamper testified on this hearsay evidence -- statements Stines allegedly made when he was taken into custody that Stamper heard from other Investigators.

Relative to Stines wife and child being in danger, first, Stines is the County Sheriff, and by all accounts a family man. Seems to me that if his family was in danger, Stines would be busting down the walls to the protect them and get to whoever was threatening them immediately. But here, upon taking down Mullins, Stines isn't anxious or worried, but instead he's observed by Stamper to be calm, and concerned about being treated fair.

I'd say that in Stines mind, the danger to his family was gone -- and there was no more threat. JMO

Please reference the preliminary hearing transcript by @Allabouttrial linked in the MEDIA thread.

"A spokesman for the Kentucky State Police, the agency investigating the shooting, has said the shooting occurred after an argument but has not identified a possible motive."

Argument at lunch? Or argument in the chambers. Either way it doesn't sound like it was a "Hey can I bump your phone to call my daughter?"

"He was mostly calm [after the shooting]," Stamper said. "I talked to him, but he didn't say anything about why this happened. He was calm. Kind of afraid. Basically all he said was, 'Treat me fair.'"

He wanted to be treated fair. Were there then extenuating circumstances because someone was trying to take his wife and daughter??

This is from the transcript provided by @Allabouttrial, which has been added to the Media Thread for this case. And it's one part of the hearing that I find very confusing. If Detective Stamper's words here can be taken literally (and they should be, since it's sworn testimony), then we have to believe that after Sheriff Stines shot the judge, he surrendered and was taken into custody, booked into jail, and locked up, and that since all that happened, not one officer or detective or anybody in LE sat down with him and questioned him or took a statement or affidavit from him or held an interview with him or brought him in to the interrogation room or anything!

The defense attorney sounded like he found this perplexing as well. He clarified that this is what Stamper was saying, and also made sure to note that the reason he was not questioned was NOT because he had requested an attorney or asserted his right to keep silent and not answer questions without an attorney present. But for some reason, no one ever went back to wherever they put him and asked him anything or for a written statement or anything else! Isn't that unusual? I thought it was S O P to always question a suspect in custody, but maybe not. Here's the relevant part of the transcript:

DEFENSE - Did you attempt to speak to Sheriff Stines at the Leslie County jail after the incident?

DETECTIVE - No.

DEFENSE - Did anyone from your agency attempt to interview him?

DETECTIVE - Not to my knowledge, no.

DEFENSE - At and that point, have you asserted his right to an attorney or anything?

DETECTIVE - No.

DEFENSE - Nobody went back and tried to talk to him or do an interview?

DETECTIVE - No.

(and then he moves on to a new topic)
Thank you.

If someone shoots a judge and says "They are trying to kidnap my wife and kid" that sounds almost paranoid to me. Why would a judge be kidnapping his wife and kid? It sounds exaggerated. But if someone says, " My wife and child were in danger" that would make me think something else was going on. Something more understandable. It is an easier statement to hear. All my opinion of course.

I think to those who knew these men, such a statement coming from Stines would be laughable, if not so tragic. The idea that Mullins was trying to kidnap or would be behind the kidnapping of Stines family seems delusional. I dunno, maybe it was a self serving statement by Stines...or maybe Stamper got the words wrong (this was hearsay)!

Personally, I think it's why SM would rather believe the rumors than believe Stines was paranoid, and possibly having serious, personal issues at home. We know Stines' LE career was coming to an end (he announced he wasn't seeking re-election)-- coinciding with empty nest, i.e., daughter graduating high school soon.

Having just watched a preview of Netflix "Jailbreak" -- Stines somewhat reminds me of Vicky White -- the Asst Director of Operations at the Lauderdale County Detention Center in Florence, Alabama. Similar to Stines, you couldn't find anybody who would say a bad word about Vicky, her dedication to the job, her family, her friends, and the underlying fear in town about how things were going to get done when she announced her retirement and turned in her papers. What the community wasn't aware of was that Vicky was cracking at the seams. MOO

"He was mostly calm [after the shooting]," Stamper said. "I talked to him, but he didn't say anything about why this happened. He was calm. Kind of afraid. Basically all he said was, 'Treat me fair.'"

He wanted to be treated fair. Were there then extenuating circumstances because someone was trying to take his wife and daughter??

Good to see you here @Warwick7. Hope life's been 1728100482254.png
in your corner of the earth.

I think to those who knew these men, such a statement coming from Stines would be laughable, if not so tragic. The idea that Mullins was trying to kidnap or would be behind the kidnapping of Stines family seems delusional. I dunno, maybe it was a self serving statement by Stines...or maybe Stamper got the words wrong (this was hearsay)!

Personally, I think it's why SM would rather believe the rumors than believe Stines was paranoid, and possibly having serious, personal issues at home. We know Stines' LE career was coming to an end (he announced he wasn't seeking re-election)-- coinciding with empty nest, i.e., daughter graduating high school soon.

Having just watched a preview of Netflix "Jailbreak" -- Stines somewhat reminds me of Vicky White -- the Asst Director of Operations at the Lauderdale County Detention Center in Florence, Alabama. Similar to Stines, you couldn't find anybody who would say a bad word about Vicky, her dedication to the job, her family, her friends, and the underlying fear in town about how things were going to get done when she announced her retirement and turned in her papers. What the community wasn't aware of was that Vicky was cracking at the seams. MOO
Did he actually announce he was not seeking re-election prior to him killing the judge? His term is not up until 2026.
It would seem premature to me. Usually they confide behind the scenes to party insiders, then publicly state they are not running around the filing period.

Last edited:

If hypothetically there were to be deep corruption, to the point that I just unloaded my clip on my dear friend and coworker, and he didn’t know who was playing for which “team” he might not deny or even regret what he did given the information he had and circumstances that he found himself in…

A statement akin to I want to be treated fair- could sound like a call or cry for justice and don’t judge me until you have all the information

MOO

"A spokesman for the Kentucky State Police, the agency investigating the shooting, has said the shooting occurred after an argument but has not identified a possible motive."

Argument at lunch? Or argument in the chambers. Either way it doesn't sound like it was a "Hey can I bump your phone to call my daughter?"

Could be- hey can you do this records search or check this out for me… from the Sheriff to verify or vet info he obtained at lunch … MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle
Back