Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So what causes a lawman to kill his friend, a sitting Judge, following a cordial lunch?

• From all signs visible in the released video, Stines was under no threat by Mullins.
  • Even if Stines suspected there was phone contact between his teen daughter and Mullins, upon confirmation of this by looking at Mullins phone, he did not allow for any reasonable explanation by his friend before he immediately began firing his weapon at Mullins.
  • There was no immediate threat to the daughter for her number to be in Mullins phone!
  • There was no immediate threat to his wife.
  • After wounding Mullins, as if to ensure he was dead, he stopped, fired additional shots at his fallen body, before exiting the room.
  • I believe Stines made up his mind before he entered Mullins Chambers that if Mullins phone showed he had phone contact with his daughter, he was dead.
  • Maybe Stines was having some paranoid, delusional thoughts....
  • But from the evidence we have today, I think a jury would find him guilty of murder beyond a reasonable doubt, because of those deliberate, additional shots before walking out of Chambers-- Stines intended for Mullins to be dead.
  • Stines actions were hardly what's expected from a man under the oath of the elected County Sheriff -- instead he seemed immature, impulsive, irresponsible, and a sense of entitlement. IMO, Stines was like a time bomb, waiting to go off.
  • And the arrogance of Stines to request to be treated fair!
  • Mullins deserved to be treated fair too. He deserved far better than he received from both the Sheriff, and his friend! MOO
ITA.
Esp. that last sentence.
No excuse for what Stines did.

Maybe Mullins did feel threatened by Stines, and that is why the judge invited the sheriff to his chambers. He thought he would be safe there because of the cameras, and the sheriff knowing about them.

Maybe Mullins did feel threatened by Stines, and that is why the judge invited the sheriff to his chambers. He thought he would be safe there because of the cameras, and the sheriff knowing about them.
I thought of that too. Maybe if he met him alone, he feared Stines would slug him or cause a scene. I'm pretty sure he didn't fear he would shoot him.

Was a bit mistaken on that. However and what ever was floated at the lunch; germinated in the Sheriffs mind shortly after, and conclusion verified by the phone view/call.

I thought it was more that Stines was trying to talk to Mullins about things better left unsaid in front of other people at the lunch, which was why Mullins asked him if they needed to meet privately to talk. Trying to shut him up before he said something Mullins didn't want others to hear.

So... what would that have been? Would it have been something Mullins already knew about, or would this have been the first he was hearing about it at the lunch? But something he immediately knew he didn't want spoken of in public, even though it sounds like he cut him off before he had the chance to say much, to avoid others at the lunch hearing. So maybe something he already knew about, but this would've been the first time Stines had tried to discuss it with him, or question him about it. Hm.

To me your screenshot looks like the judge is in fear because he's angling his body away from the sheriff along with the defensive positioning of his hand. JMO.
Bbm.
I agree.
Once the gun was pointed at him, I think Mullins was in mortal fear deep down inside.
My opinion was that he didn't expect this to happen !
Blindsided.
I do wonder about the motive and I guess we'll have to wait ; but I'm surprised they showed the actual shooting video.
I'd have thought only the jury would see that ?
Omo.

Wow! @GoBuckeyes that is terrible about your brother! My ex used to use my baby kitten as his "sight" target. Used to annoy me.

We may never know what happened, and even if we did find out that there was some sort of motive, it still doesn't make it right. We don't excuse vigilante justice. Especially from LEO, who are held to a higher standard. We trust them to uphold the law. Not to go blazing into a judge's office and start shooting an unarmed man.

Bbm.
Yes, agreed.
Esp. the bolded.

With what little we know, especially concerning a possible motive -- there's nothing that can't be dealt with in the court of law.
Self-defense is protecting your household in a break in , or fending off a robber while out shopping, etc.
This was an execution in cold blood.
Omo.

Bbm.
Yes, agreed.
Esp. the bolded.

With what little we know, especially concerning a possible motive -- there's nothing that can't be dealt with in the court of law.
Self-defense is protecting your household in a break in , or fending off a robber while out shopping, etc.
This was an execution in cold blood.
Omo.
And yet Stines, a career law man far more familiar with the system than the average civilian, opted to take justice into his own hands. It (the motive) can only be something truly horrific, either real or imagined, for him to have made that choice in such an (apparent) rational way. In a way, that seems to be the most disturbing part of this. My brain cannot process "calmly" shooting someone 8 times, until they're dead.

jmo

I thought it was more that Stines was trying to talk to Mullins about things better left unsaid in front of other people at the lunch, which was why Mullins asked him if they needed to meet privately to talk. Trying to shut him up before he said something Mullins didn't want others to hear.
I had similar thoughts- something like let’s talk privately not out in public- and whatever it was that the sheriff brought up, the judge’s reaction might have further influenced the sheriff’s actions later in the day - moo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79
Back