Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This sounds important:

Testimony about phone number of sheriff’s daughter taken ‘out of context,’ sources say​

By Mountain Eagle Staff
on October 09, 2024
By SAM ADAMS

Two law enforcement sources have confirmed that former Sheriff Shawn “Mickey” Stines did not select his daughter’s number from a pre-saved list on District Judge Kevin Mullins’s phone when he called her just prior to killing the judge. Both say Stines dialed the number before he shot Mullins multiple times in the judge’s chambers behind the Letcher District Courtroom...

The rest of the article is behind a paywall.

This could mean that Stines did not find his daughter's number on the judge's phone pre-saved or otherwise but rather the record of him dialing it right then was what Stamper was referring to. If so his reaction might be more related on what was said if the daughter answered while she was thinking she was speaking to the judge (not to the Sheriff following his missed calls).
Not known if the call was cut-off immediately. Could she have tried to call back (the judge) -as shown in the ringing phone on the desk in the video?

Does anyone have access to the Mountain Eagle article to elaborate on what was written in the article?
Regarding the bolded - has it been confirmed his daughter did not answer his calls, but did answer the call from the judge's phone?

Fair- I hadn’t seen that before- thank you for clarifying
but this does, at least for me:

Kentucky State Police later clarified that they have no evidence the daughter’s phone number was on the judge’s phone before the sheriff dialed it
https://www.npr.org/2024/10/01/g-s1-25793/video-shows-the-moment-a-kentucky-judge-was-shot-to-death
now I’m even more confused and curious about possible narratives and reasons that explain the series of events as we know them…

but with family in direct path of Milton I’m going to have to check in sporadically over the next few days

highlight this portion of an article that is not paywalled on the topic

Kentucky State Police later clarified that they have no evidence the daughter’s phone number was on the judge’s phone before the sheriff dialed it
https://www.npr.org/2024/10/01/g-s1-25793/video-shows-the-moment-a-kentucky-judge-was-shot-to-death

Another crucial snippet from this article, which answers a question I've seen posed several times (bold and italics by me):

Kentucky State Police later clarified that they have no evidence the daughter’s phone number was on the judge’s phone before the sheriff dialed it, despite court testimony that suggested that. Trooper Matt Gayheart, a state police spokesman, attributed the confusion to what he called a “misleading” exchange during the preliminary hearing.

“It was very confusing,” Gayheart said. “I was even confused watching it.”

It’s not clear why the sheriff called his daughter from the judge’s phone.
Gayheart says Stines’ daughter did not answer.

It’s not clear why the sheriff called his daughter from the judge’s phone. Gayheart says Stines’ daughter did not answer.

Trooper Matt Gayheart - KSP spokesperson
First time I'm seeing this, so thank you.
So he called his kid from his own phone and we still don't know if she ever answered.
Then he called her from the judge's phone, and from Gayheart's statement she did not answer.
That leaves even more questions about the daughter being interviewed. (edit - deleted info I can no longer locate)

This new info also completely contradicts this statement:

"I was told that Sheriff Stines had tried to call his daughter, and he had tried to call his daughter from the judge’s phone also,” said Stamper, who confirmed that phone records showed that the cell phone of Stines’ daughter had previously been called from the judge’s phone." https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/01/us/kentucky-judge-murder-stines-hearing/index.html

Last edited:
now I’m even more confused and curious about possible narratives and reasons that explain the series of events as we know them…

but with family in direct path of Milton I’m going to have to check in sporadically over the next few days
Be Safe! Keeping you and yours in my thoughts

So he called his kid from his own phone and we still don't know if she ever answered.
Then he called her from the judge's phone, and from Gayheart's statement she did not answer.
That leaves even more questions about the daughter being interviewed. (edit - deleted info I can no longer locate)

"I was told that Sheriff Stines had tried to call his daughter, and he had tried to call his daughter from the judge’s phone also,” said Stamper, who confirmed that phone records showed that the cell phone of Stines’ daughter had previously been called from the judge’s phone." https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/01/us/kentucky-judge-murder-stines-hearing/index.html
yeah, Stamper stated the daughter was interviewed with a parent present and had given statements about the "conversations" and that they had not taken her phone but when asked if they would Stamper said maybe. It was not clear conversations with whom.

Part of it I think was that the defense was trying to get at information and apparently didn't really know WHAT information he was trying to elicit from Stamper so the questions and the answers that came from them are a jumbled hard to follow mess (JMO) That plus the interview the defense team gave is what leads me to think their client has yet to tell them the why of it all. Just my own speculation.

Yes, it does. But it sounds like Gayheart clarified things?
Stamper wasn't the best witness.

Why don't they just say why he called her? IMO all this teasing and releasing bits makes people keep speculating

That's essentially what lead investigator Stamper said in short reply during questioning. I think the subject became confused during cross by the defense after Stamper answered he wasn't aware of the content on the phone. IMO, there was obviously much liberty taken in the interpretation of Stamper's testimony per the actual transcript.

From the preliminary hearing transcript by @Allabouttrial in the MEDIA thread:

DEFENSE - And have you reviewed both of those phones?

DETECTIVE - They're currently at the forensic lab at this time, being downloaded. I have had discussions with the people at the lab regarding the downloads.

DEFENSE - And those are a couple other questions I want to ask you, but my original question was - have you reviewed or are you aware of the content of the phones?

DETECTIVE - I've not personally seen it because I've not received those reports yet.

DEFENSE - Again, based upon your conversation with the officers, are you aware of any recent content that was up and could have been relevant at the time of their discussion?

DETECTIVE - I was told that Sheriff Stines had tried to call his daughter, and he had tried to call his daughter from the Judge's phone also.

DEFENSE - So, have you obtained the phone records from Judge Mullens' phone?

DETECTIVE - I don't have those in my possession yet, no.

DEFENSE - Have you issued a search warrant for those?

DETECTIVE - Yes, yes.

DEFENSE - And have officers confirmed that the Sheriff's daughter's phone number was on Judge Mullens' phone?

DETECTIVE - Yes.

DEFENSE - So that number had been called from Judge Mullens' phone?

DETECTIVE - Yes.

At the prelim hearing starting at 20:41 the defense attorney is asking a series of questions of the lead detective specifically about Stines' daughter. The transcript isn't available so this the condensed version of that part of his testimony:

Did you conduct an interview? He answers that he did not, but that she has been interviewed.
Did KSP obtain her phone? He answers no.
Do you intend to obtain records of her cell number? He answers "possibly" (also seems sort of dodgy)

Asked if he intends to obtain her cell phone records.
He responds "well the calls should be on the judge's records too, and she's made statements about what (odd pause, eyebrows go up) occurred during those conversations".

The linked NPR article states she did not answer the phone when her dad called from the judge's phone, so this just raises more questions, specifically, when & what exactly were those other conversations between her and the judge (that should be on the judge's phone) where things "occured" according to the lead detective?

Last edited:
yeah, Stamper stated the daughter was interviewed with a parent present and had given statements about the "conversations" and that they had not taken her phone but when asked if they would Stamper said maybe. It was not clear conversations with whom.

Part of it I think was that the defense was trying to get at information and apparently didn't really know WHAT information he was trying to elicit from Stamper so the questions and the answers that came from them are a jumbled hard to follow mess (JMO) That plus the interview the defense team gave is what leads me to think their client has yet to tell them the why of it all. Just my own speculation.
Watching the defense attorney questioning the detective again, I have a hunch he knew exactly what information he was trying to elicit, but I think both of them were being very careful with what they didn't say.

jmo

As an afterthought, based on what the lead detective said about the daughter being interviewed and making statements about those conversations with the judge where things occured, it seems even more likely, despite comments to the contrary, that her number was on his phone. Maybe not stored under her name, but there all the same.

jmo

Watching the defense attorney questioning the detective again, I have a hunch he knew exactly what information he was trying to elicit, but I think both of them were being very careful with what they didn't say.

jmo
I agree, both were dancing. But we may disagree around what. I feel they could both be dancing around a rumor that is simply that, a rumor. I suspect both the defense attorney and Stamper have heard and read those things just as we have. I suspect defense attorney was hoping that rumor might support his extreme emotional disturbance argument for manslaughter.

As an afterthought, based on what the lead detective said about the daughter being interviewed and making statements about those conversations with the judge where things occured, it seems even more likely, despite comments to the contrary, that her number was on his phone. Maybe not stored under her name, but there all the same.

jmo
I do not believe KSP would outright lie about the fact that her number was not stored in the victim's phone. MOO Not there means not there. not under her name or any other.

LE has told us the sheriff reportedly made phone calls (plural) from his own phone at least some of which were to his daughter. LE has said that Stines dialed his daughter's number in and made at least a call to his daughter using Mullins' phone. LE has said that the daughter did not answer the call from Mullins phone, nor was her number stored as a contact in his phone.

What is not clear (yet) is did the sheriff and his daughter have any conversation(s) in the calls he made to her from his own phone? And what was the content of those conversations?

I do not believe KSP would outright lie about the fact that her number was not stored in the victim's phone. MOO Not there means not there. not under her name or any other.

LE has told us the sheriff reportedly made phone calls (plural) from his own phone at least some of which were to his daughter. LE has said that Stines dialed his daughter's number in and made at least a call to his daughter using Mullins' phone. LE has said that the daughter did not answer the call from Mullins phone, nor was her number stored as a contact in his phone.

What is not clear (yet) is did the sheriff and his daughter have any conversation(s) in the calls he made to her from his own phone? And what was the content of those conversations?
Agree. And I would like to know who was calling the Judge's phone as he was being shot. It seems like there is an incoming call evident on the video. Maybe the sheriff didn't start shooting until he saw who was calling?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lillianlily
Back