Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

9/19/24

The preliminary investigation indicates Letcher County Sheriff Shawn M. Stines shot District Judge Kevin Mullins multiple times following an argument inside the courthouse, according to Kentucky State Police. Mullins, who held the judgeship for 15 years, died at the scene, and Stines surrendered without incident.

The fatal shooting in Whitesburg sent shock waves through a tight-knit Appalachian town and county seat of government with about 1,700 residents located about 145 miles (235 kilometers) southeast of Lexington.

Lead county prosecutor Matt Butler described an outpouring of sympathy as he recused himself and his office from investigations in the shooting, citing social and family ties to Mullins.

“We all know each other here. … Anyone from Letcher County would tell you that Judge Mullins and I married sisters and that we have children who are first cousins but act like siblings,” Butler said in statement from his office. “For that reason, among others, I have already taken steps to recuse myself and my entire office.”

9/19/24

The preliminary investigation indicates Letcher County Sheriff Shawn M. Stines shot District Judge Kevin Mullins multiple times following an argument inside the courthouse, according to Kentucky State Police. Mullins, who held the judgeship for 15 years, died at the scene, and Stines surrendered without incident.

The fatal shooting in Whitesburg sent shock waves through a tight-knit Appalachian town and county seat of government with about 1,700 residents located about 145 miles (235 kilometers) southeast of Lexington.

Lead county prosecutor Matt Butler described an outpouring of sympathy as he recused himself and his office from investigations in the shooting, citing social and family ties to Mullins.

“We all know each other here. … Anyone from Letcher County would tell you that Judge Mullins and I married sisters and that we have children who are first cousins but act like siblings,” Butler said in statement from his office. “For that reason, among others, I have already taken steps to recuse myself and
But would someone with no context about the locals and their relationships to each other be able to conduct a thorough investigation?

Son of a governor is governor. It reminds me of Murdaugh where son of a son is a lawyer/ prosecutor. It sounds like this death is something other than random world "violence".

"Mullins was appointed Judge in 2009 by Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear, and was elected in his own right a year later, according to The Mountain Eagle. He has been re-elected ever since. Mullins’ death was confirmed by the current governor, Andy Beshear, son of Steve Beshear.

Beshear posted on X that there is “far too much violence in this world, and I pray there is a path to a better tomorrow.”

Stines allegedly walked into the judge’s outer office, then told court employees and others gathered there that he needed to speak with Mullins alone, according to The Mountain Eagle. Shortly after the two walked into the judge’s chambers, shots were heard. Then Stines walked out with his hands up and surrendered to police officers."

But would someone with no context about the locals and their relationships to each other be able to conduct a thorough investigation?

I believe the investigation is in the hands of the State Troopers, and the 47th Judicial District DA's office have already recused, so the AG's office is taking over for the prosecution.

Also, it appears that the Sheriff/Shooter surrendered at the scene and is cooperating. The lead prosecutor of this district is the brother in law to the victim so I think there are sufficient witnesses just from inside the Court that know what happened here. JMO

9/19/24

“We all know each other here. … Anyone from Letcher County would tell you that Judge Mullins and I married sisters and that we have children who are first cousins but act like siblings,” Butler said in statement from his office. “For that reason, among others, I have already taken steps to recuse myself and my entire office.”
Lead county prosecutor recused himself and his office due to conflict of interest. Sounds like Murdaugh.

What do we know so far?

A sex offender sheriff approached young women and teens (???) in the court system and offered favourable treatment in exchange for sex in Judge Mullin's chambers. There are up to six victims at this time.

A different sheriff shot Judge Mullins.

The sex offender sheriff received 6 months in jail and probation for using power and position to coerce and sexually exploit vulnerable girls and women through the judicial system.

Why did a different sheriff shoot a judge who, knowing or unknowingly, provided his office for sexual assault purposes?

How does the murder fit into the puzzle of sexual abuse of girls and women in Judge Mullins chambers? If the sex-offender sheriff used the judge's chambers (office) without permission - Mullin is free and clear - especially given the tight-knit governor/ legal community.

Judge Mullin being shot dead first degree murder. What happened? What went wrong in the judicial system?

A sex offender sheriff approached young women and teens (???) in the court system and offered favourable treatment in exchange for sex in Judge Mullin's chambers. There are up to six victims at this time.

A different sheriff shot Judge Mullins.
^^rsbm

No, not correct. A Sheriff is an elected County official and there is only one Sheriff -- in Letcher County, this person is Sheriff Mickey Stines, the accused killer of Judge Kevin Mullins.

In Feb 2022, an 47 yr old female filed a civil lawsuit against former Deputy Fields from Letcher County alleging harassment and false information by Fields. At the time of the plaintiff's suit, no criminal charges for sexual assault had ever been filed against Fields.

In September of 2022, a grand jury indicted Fields on several charges stemming from the inappropriate relationship he had with multiple adult women. In January 2024, Fields agreed to enter a plea agreement and was sentenced to 6 months in jail, and 6.5 years probation, and to register as a sex offender. I believe Fields is probably out of jail now.

To my knowledge, there are no teen victims. I believe there were only two women here and one has since died of an overdose. Both women had been jailed for drug charges when the crimes against them occurred.

1/10/24 -- Ex-deputy sheriff is sentenced; one victim tells of ‘nightmares’ - The Mountain Eagle

ETA: I don't believe the shooting of Judge Mullins is related to the former deputy assaulting women in exchange for no charge ankle monitors.

When the crimes occurred, Fields had left his job at the jail to work as a court security officer in Letcher District Court and worked for Eastern Kentucky Correctional Services, Inc., which provides electronic monitoring devices to prisoners who have been placed on house arrest as a condition of their bail. Prisoners are required to pay for the monitoring.
[..]
The women claimed Fields told them he would not make them pay for the monitoring if they would do him “a favor.” Fields disabled the devices, told the monitoring company that bail conditions had been changed so the devices were not required, and then used threats of arrest to force the women to have sex with him.

When Letcher Circuit Judge James W. Craft II asked Fields for GPS coordinates for one of the subjects for a court appearance, Fields said he couldn’t locate her and filed an escape charge against her, court records show.

Last edited:

9/19/24

Mullins was appointed to serve as a judge in the state's 47th district under former Gov. Steve Beshear in 2009.

He oversaw juvenile matters, city and county ordinances, misdemeanors, traffic offenses, arraignments, felony probable cause hearings, claims involving $2,500 or less, civil cases involving $5,000 or less, voluntary and involuntary mental commitments and domestic violence cases, according to a Letcher County website.

[..]

Stines, meanwhile, was elected sheriff in 2018 and reelected in 2022.

A motive for the shooting remains unclear, and Kentucky State Police and Lechter County Coroner Perry Fowler were still investigating the scene as of 5pm local time.

From the article:

No motive in the shooting was disclosed.

Investigators were "trying to get answers to what led up to the actual shooting," State Trooper Matt Gayheart said at an evening news conference.

Although there are plenty of sordid rumors going around social media, I look forward to hearing what LE has to say about the motive. Everything else at this point is just that, a rumor.
MOO

Since becoming sheriff, Mr. Stines has been named a defendant in two federal cases.

In 2020, a judge dismissed a lawsuit brought by a former sheriff’s office employee who claimed Mr. Stines eliminated her job upon taking office in 2019 because she had expressed support for another candidate for sheriff.

Mr. Stines was also deposed earlier this month in a separate ongoing case involving a former sheriff deputy who was accused of sexual abusing an inmate. Mr. Stines fired the deputy, Ben Fields, not long after the lawsuit was filed in 2022.

The preliminary investigation indicates Letcher County Sheriff Shawn M. Stines shot District Judge Kevin Mullins multiple times following an argument inside the courthouse, according to Kentucky State Police.
Snipped and bbm.

He shot the judge multiple times.

The sheriff knows how to shoot one shot to incapacitate someone. The sheriff knows that shooting multiple times is not "self defense."

jmopinion

In a 2022 suit filed in U.S. District Court alleging a Letcher County deputy sheriff offered "favorable treatment for sexual favors," Stines was listed as a defendant for "for allegedly failing to properly train" the deputy sheriff, the Courier Journal previously reported.

The suit says the abuse occurred in the chamber of Mullins, but does not say if he was aware of it or allege he was involved in any wrongdoing. The suit also alleged Stines did not “reasonably respond” to reports or suspicions.

Hes been with the force for at least 18 years
My math was wrong. Hes been with the force for at least 16 years

Linking this to back my statement. The article itself has no relevancy to the case outside of proving that hes been with the force for at least 16 years

This article is from 2007

Letcher County Sheriff’s Deputy Mickey Stines displayed drugs confiscated after he caught 66-year-old Paul Mullins allegedly trying to make a drug deal in a Neon parking lot. The drugs include nine 40-milligram OxyContin pills, five 80-milligram OxyContin pills, four bags of cocaine, nine hydrocodone pills and 20 Xanax pills.

1000024951.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821