Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Based on what has been stated, it seems to me the same person possibly sent both men the same message or more likely, pictures. Such as, a message saying "I'm sending you both the same pictures" then, did.

Of course this is just a hunch but, there aren't that many kinds of pics that would cause a man to intantly flip into a murderous rage.

jmo

Based on what has been stated, it seems to me the same person possibly sent both men the same message or more likely, pictures. Such as, a message saying "I'm sending you both the same pictures" then, did.

Of course this is just a hunch but, there aren't that many kinds of pics that would cause a man to intantly flip into a murderous rage.

jmo
If so, who ? And what was THAT person's motive.

Eight shots? Eight shots? Am I reading that correctly?

Shall need to wait for further releases and information on the background and any interactions or prior involvement here. And that includes IMO a full vetting and release on the now slain Judge Mullins; Sheriff Stines; and the Deputy Sheriff Fields. SMH. MOO

I believe this was personally motivated. The phones IMO will be the best witnesses/evidence to what prompted this murder. and no matter WHAT prompted Sheriff Stines to murder the judge, there is ZERO justification IMO, particularly for a man who was elected and paid to UPHOLD THE LAW to commit this awful act.

All we know is that the video shows the sheriff and the judge exchanging phones. We don’t actually know that the phone the sheriff had was the sheriffs phone, and that the judge the judge had was the judges phone. Hopefully that makes sense. For example, the sheriff could have brought someone else’s phone, and that is what he was showing the judge.

IAN a timeline person, please feel free to add or correct. Most notably, I do not have dates, argh!

Monday, 9/16?
*Sheriff Stiles is deposed wrt a civil suit brought by a victim (V) of sexual assault (SA) in Judge Mullin’s chambers. That victim alleges that the SA took place in Judge Mullin’s chambers, where the convicted perpetrator (CP) told her that there are no cameras. CP would know about security because he is in the Sheriff’s Office (SO), which protects judges and courthouses. V is seeking damages against CP and SO, which includes Stiles because he is the elected Sheriff, who oversees the deputy sheriffs under him.

NB1: In this case, the state (commonwealth?) proved its criminal case against the CP. V is seeking damages in a civil action.

NB2: during depositions, witnesses can be read testimony or be shown evidence that they may not be familiar with. Depositions are part of the discovery process, so witnesses can be exposed to potential evidence that even the witness’ attorney may not know about. Not sure if this is relevant in this case, but it is worth mentioning.

Thursday, 9/19, morning/early afternoon
*Sheriff Stiles (SS), Judge Mullins, and court staff enjoy lunch together. It seemed to be an ordinary day, except for the fact that SS seemed unusually quiet, according to one source (?)

Thursday, 9/19, after lunch
Court staff are gathered in the anteroom to Judge Mullin’s chambers. Judge and Sheriff enter anteroom and announce they have some private to discuss. Extraneous parties exit antechamber. Shortly afterwards, shots are heard by court staff. Later reports by local media indicate that an altercation between Sheriff and Judge was caught on camera. The two parties are seen exchanging cell phones in Judge Mullin’s inner chambers; then Sheriff is seen moving around Judge’s desk and firing several times.

Thursday, 9/19, after shots fired
Multiple 911 calls are reported, including one self-reported from a responding officer. Timeline not clear, but facts reported: life-saving measures applied to Judge Mullin, to no avail; Sheriff Stines surrenders without incident. Local school(s)? On lock down

Thursday, 9/19, evening
School students released. Local DA recuses self. Sheriff in custody. Motive sought. Alternative venue and judge sought for arraignment of Sheriff on first degree murder charges since Judge Mullin would have been the presiding judge on this matter under ordinary circumstances.

Friends, WS, please feel free to edit/add/correct this rough draft of a timeline. Ty!

Edited for clarity re: venue *and* judge sought for arraignment

Last edited:
Not sure if this was already posted? Excerpt from the NBC Today Show this morning. (Video at link)

Sheriff Stines was cited in a 2022 lawsuit about a deputy who was accused of using the judges chambers while demanding sexual favors from an inmate.”

“Stines is accused of not properly training that deputy who was later fired. According to court documents, Stines was scheduled to testify in a deposition on Monday.”

https://www.today.com/video/kentuck...-judge-what-was-their-connection-219782725835

Last edited:
If so, who ? And what was THAT person's motive.
Good questions. The only reason I was guessing it was a message or pictures was because it came immediately before the fatal gunshots. A text isn't going to enrage someone so immediately red hot like that. But certain types of pictures most certainly would. Again, just guesswork, based on what we know.

Could the “video” of what happened been on one of the cell phones? I find it strange that there were video cameras in the judge’s chambers. I also thought that maybe the Sheriff may have found out that his phone had been switched with the Judges at lunch and confronted the Judge about it. When it was confirmed the Judge had his phone he snapped. Did he suspect the switch was on purpose?

Could the “video” of what happened been on one of the cell phones? I find it strange that there were video cameras in the judge’s chambers. I also thought that maybe the Sheriff may have found out that his phone had been switched with the Judges at lunch and confronted the Judge about it. When it was confirmed the Judge had his phone he snapped. Did he suspect the switch was on purpose?
The description sounds to me like it’s a surveillance camera. I imagine it was installed after the previous shenanigans.

I don’t think any phone switching went on, but I don’t have a theory as to what they were comparing/looking at on each others phones.

All we know is that the video shows the sheriff and the judge exchanging phones. We don’t actually know that the phone the sheriff had was the sheriffs phone, and that the judge the judge had was the judges phone. Hopefully that makes sense. For example, the sheriff could have brought someone else’s phone, and that is what he was showing the judge.
Good point, I hadn't even thought about that.

Snipped and bbm.

He shot the judge multiple times.

The sheriff knows how to shoot one shot to incapacitate someone. The sheriff knows that shooting multiple times is not "self defense."

jmopinion
Not citing this shooting; but, you would be surprised to know how little accuracy most law enforcement officers attain. The badge and 6 weeks of overall training (never under live fire) does not make one a crack shot and able to calmly address the situation and selectively shoot an opponent in disabling places. If you are in a life threatening situation (self defense), shooting "multiple" times is best. Empty the clip; slam in another, then look at results. You will know if were not successful.

Kentucky deputy doing contract work coerced woman to have sex in judge’s office, lawsuit says

FEBRUARY 01, 2022 11:54 AM

A Kentucky sheriff’s deputy coerced a woman to have sex with him in a judge’s office by letting her avoid paying home-incarceration fees, the woman has charged in a lawsuit.

The complaint alleges that the unwanted sexual conduct by Deputy Ben Fields violated Adkins’ constitutional rights. It also alleges that Sheriff Mickey Stines did not properly supervise Fields.

Quoting my post

Wonder what the sentence would have been for not properly supervising Fields is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821
Back