Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed as part of thread cleanup>
I'm surprised there hasn't been more (or maybe even ANY) sleuthing (by WSers or others?) into the personal details of the sheriff. He is the suspect, the person of interest, the perp, the accused, the charged one in this case. I thought that was the criteria needing to be met to give sleuths the greenlight to find out all they can about a person in any case. Maybe I've missed it, but I've read this entire thread, and I haven't seen anything yet. Mainly I thought I would've seen simple things like if he's married, divorced, how many children, if any, ages of children... This info alone could rule out (or leave open the possibility of) certain theories made in other places that haven't been backed up by any reliable sources. Seems like it would be easy enough (and within WS terms) to find this out. He's a public official whose info is often found online in many ways for many reasons, probably publicly-available details out there on him, plus he had his own FB profile that I believe he posted on that could reveal enlightening things.

<modsnip>

... at WS, people do care about the truth. But we also love to sleuth! One leads to the other, ime.

Here is MS's FB:

It was linked in this MSM article which has a little more info about him:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eeek -- what a stressful way written in the KY Commonwealth to run a County Sheriff's Office!

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed as part of thread cleanup>
I'm surprised there hasn't been more (or maybe even ANY) sleuthing (by WSers or others?) into the personal details of the sheriff. He is the suspect, the person of interest, the perp, the accused, the charged one in this case. I thought that was the criteria needing to be met to give sleuths the greenlight to find out all they can about a person in any case. Maybe I've missed it, but I've read this entire thread, and I haven't seen anything yet. Mainly I thought I would've seen simple things like if he's married, divorced, how many children, if any, ages of children... This info alone could rule out (or leave open the possibility of) certain theories made in other places that haven't been backed up by any reliable sources. Seems like it would be easy enough (and within WS terms) to find this out. He's a public official whose info is often found online in many ways for many reasons, probably publicly-available details out there on him, plus he had his own FB profile that I believe he posted on that could reveal enlightening things.

<modsnip>

... at WS, people do care about the truth. But we also love to sleuth! One leads to the other, ime.
I've looked and I can't find a single bad thing said about the man. This case is a bit different because it seems the accused is literally salt of the earth type of man. Serves his community and loves his family. Even in all the comments I've read, I don't think I've seen a single one say that the sheriff was ever up to no good or was into anything that would lead someone to think he'd be capable of something like this.

Here is his FB profile. It is very clear he is so very proud of his daughter. Looks like they were very close. Seems they enjoy hunting together also. I see he has tagged someone often in his posts that appears to be his daughters much older brother. Based on last names, it seems the older brother might be a half brother. Looks like they all were a very close family and well loved by their community.

This crime doesn't make sense without knowing the motive. He seems to have lived an honorable life every day until last Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHITESBURG, Ky. (ABC36 NEWS NOW) — The Letcher County Clerk’s Office in Whitesburg is set to reopen this week, following the tragic shooting death of District Judge Kevin Mullins. The office, however, will not be processing out-of-state transfers or inspections for the time being.

The reopening comes just days after the incident that resulted in the death of Judge Mullins, who was fatally shot multiple times inside his chambers last Thursday. In response to the shooting, flags at courthouses across Kentucky have been lowered to half-staff. The Kentucky Supreme Court Chief Justice has ordered flags to remain at half-staff through the end of Monday to honor Judge Mullins.

The community paid their respects at Mullins’ funeral, which took place Sunday at Jenkins Independent High School.

According to an electronically filed deposition notice, Stines was expected to provide a deposition Monday in relation to the suit from 2022 with the former deputy sheriff and the woman who alleged she was promised "favorable treatment for sexual favors."

the timing of his upcoming deposition seems too coincidental to be coincidental IFKWIM. There has never been any allegation that the murdered judge was in any way involved in the 2022 sexual exploitation of a female by Stines' subordinate, outside of the offense happening in his chambers. Something made Stines want to kill the judge - what was it?
Their cell phones will tell a revealing story. But I wonder if we will ever know what was going on; small towns have a way of circling the wagons. If the sheriff makes a plea deal, the secrets might remain secret.

Fwiw, the article has a photo from the funeral service and it was open casket.
Having an open casket during the service would be considered unusual here. Most of the time the casket is closed before the service begins. JMO
What a sad loss for the community and families. If the sheriff pleads guilty will we ever know what really triggered this?

Their cell phones will tell a revealing story. But I wonder if we will ever know what was going on; small towns have a way of circling the wagons. If the sheriff makes a plea deal, the secrets might remain secret.
Welcome- That is definitely a small town thing... "I know but it's not my story to tell..."

Speaking outside the funeral on Sunday, the town’s former mayor and friend of Mullins, Garnard Kincer Jr.told CNN affiliate WYMT that the judge had been dedicated to his job and a great person.

“He was kind, he wanted to help people and he spent most of his career doing that,” Kincer said.“He was a wonderful friend and there was no boundaries for what he wouldn’t do for you.”
[snip]
In the aftermath of the killing, Whitesburg residents are grieving the death of Mullins, who had a “passion for helping others,” the obituary said. He helped develop a program that links people involved with the justice system to treatment services, according to his obituary. In 2022, The Supreme Court appointed Mullins to the Kentucky Judicial Commission on Mental Health, where he worked to improve the court’s approach to behavioral health.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/22/us/kentucky-judge-mullins-shot-sunday/index.html

“I’m very impressed by the outpouring of support and that the community is behind the mission that he wanted so much,” she said. “He wanted to bring a change to the opioid epidemic. That was his passion.”
Funeral services held for Kentucky judge allegedly shot by sheriff in courthouse chamber

“You couldn’t find a better person on the face of the earth than Mickey Stines. I don’t know what happened,” Patty Wood, a widow of the district judge who preceded Mullins who was a friend of Stines, told ABC News. “I know [Stines’s] character. And I know there had to be something that did it … I just cannot believe that he just went in and shot him for no reason.”
Mystery surrounds alleged murder of judge by sheriff in small Kentucky town

Bill and Josephine Richardson have lived in Whitesburg since they helped found the famed Appalshop art center in 1969. The Richardsons had met both men but were closer with Stines. He was well-liked, Josephine said, and had pushed this year for a petition to allow alcohol sales throughout the county to add to its coffers, assuring residents he wouldn’t benefit financially because he wasn’t running for reelection.

The Richardsons said two people they’d spoken to said Stines “wasn’t himself” earlier this week.
Without a motive, Kentucky sheriff's shooting of judge leaves more questions than answers

The deposition for the civil case happened the Monday previous to the shooting. Stines was reported to be not himself in the days prior to the shooting. I am back to speculating the civil suit relates to the shooting.

It's definitely a small town. The mayor is the son of the former mayor, who placed the judge. The DA is the judge's brother-in-law. The sheriff used to work with the judge before. Official motive remains unknown.

Here are my thoughts about the situation concerning the current sheriff of Letcher County.

We know that Stines is still the Sheriff of Letcher County. I'm thinking that he won't resign from that office while he is awaiting trial.

And the Kentucky Governor likely can't declare that office to be vacant until after Stines is convicted.

Now here is the gray area. Suppose that Stines is convicted and he still doesn't resign. And he decides to appeal his conviction.

The question here is that would Stines still be the Sheriff of Letcher County while he is appealing his conviction?

And would this prevent the Kentucky Governor from declaring that office vacant while Stines is pursuing his appeal?

I believe Stines would be the Sheriff of Letcher County until his current term expires.

I don't believe a situation like this has ever occurred before in Kentucky.

There could be the possibility that in the future the state legislature may have to address this situation.

Here are my thoughts about the situation concerning the current sheriff of Letcher County.

We know that Stines is still the Sheriff of Letcher County. I'm thinking that he won't resign from that office while he is awaiting trial.

And the Kentucky Governor likely can't declare that office to be vacant until after Stines is convicted.

Now here is the gray area. Suppose that Stines is convicted and he still doesn't resign. And he decides to appeal his conviction.

The question here is that would Stines still be the Sheriff of Letcher County while he is appealing his conviction?

And would this prevent the Kentucky Governor from declaring that office vacant while Stines is pursuing his appeal?

I believe Stines would be the Sheriff of Letcher County until his current term expires.

I don't believe a situation like this has ever occurred before in Kentucky.

There could be the possibility that in the future the state legislature may have to address this situation.
Good points. Very curious about who is going to represent him too.

Eeek -- what a stressful way written in the KY Commonwealth to run a County Sheriff's Office!

Wow. That does seem extremely stressful.

"State law says an outgoing sheriff must make a settlement — pay off all bills and remit all collected taxes — at the end of his term."

Since he was named in the civil suit in his role as Sheriff, the lawyers' fees might be taking a huge bite out of his budget, especially if he wasn't planning to run for the role of Sheriff again. Would he be personally liable for any debts of his office at the end of his term? Was his office already in serious financial trouble? Did he somehow hold Mullins responsible for something related to the lawsuit? (As in, debts his office was amassing were somehow the "fault" of Mullins?)

MOO/supposition only.

Last edited:
Could be legitimate, this is the reason civil suits go to trial or get settled. .... 2 Cents
I agree, it could be legitimate.

In this case, however, it looks like the State of Kentucky is defending the Sherriff as he was acting in his official capacity. Likewise, he was not sued in his private capacity. So, even if he "loses" he is not going to be personally paying anything.

Just does not seem like a likely motive to me.

Last edited:

Shawn M. Stines, the Letcher County Sheriff accused of killing District Judge Kevin Mullins, is set to make his first court appearance Wednesday, officials said.

Stines will appear in Carter County Circuit Court for an arraignment on Wednesday at 11 a.m., according to court documents. Stines faces one count of murder in connection with the case.

1727102903629.png
Letcher County Sheriff Shawn M. Stines was arrested and booked in the Leslie County Detention Center Sept. 19 in connection to the killing of Letcher County District Judge Kevin Mullins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit