Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm thinking that he won't resign and will try to keep his position as the Sheriff of Letcher County for as long as he can.

Since he has pleaded not guilty to the first degree murder charge, he can claim that he hasn't been convicted in a court of law on that charge, and that there is legal precedent for him to still be the Sheriff of Letcher County while he is awaiting his trial. That would allow him to still collect his paycheck and benefits for now.

I believe that the last time that a sheriff in Kentucky resigned from office was back in April of 2017.

In April of 2017, Jamie Kinman, the Sheriff of Carroll County, Kentucky resigned after pleading guilty to eleven charges relating to the theft of painkillers. Kinman was in his uniform when he stole painkillers from the home of a terminally ill person.

Carroll County, Kentucky is along the Ohio River and halfway between Louisville, Kentucky and Cincinnati, Ohio.

Source:

Kentucky Sheriff Accused Of Stealing Painkillers Resigns

And, seeing as how the process of removing Stines from his position could take up to six months... it's very possible you're correct. If he qualifies, and Miller continues to represent him... why not try to keep money and benefits.

I keep waffling on every aspect of this case.

And, seeing as how the process of removing Stines from his position could take up to six months... it's very possible you're correct. If he qualifies, and Miller continues to represent him... why not try to keep money and benefits.

I keep waffling on every aspect of this case.
Yeah, I'm thinking he'll hang on until absolutely forced out of office. I think it would be beneficial for the county to have a clean break without the drama and uncertainty that is happening now, but not sure he will do anything to avoid that.

jmo

ADMIN NOTE:

Sometimes rumors prove to be true, other times they don't. You want to discuss rumors, Websleuths is not the place to do that.

Next member who alludes to or tries to introduce rumors into this discussion gets a 1 week Thread Ban.

Yes, I understand that possibility. I've been watching crimes for a long time and have seen many scenarios play out, lol!
You asked why there would be no trial. There would be no trial if the sheriff pleads guilty, or a plea deal is reached.

And of course the fifth does not just apply to the sheriff. I used “(the sheriff)” as a referent in my post because there were two possible antecedents.

You asked why there would be no trial. There would be no trial if the sheriff pleads guilty, or a plea deal is reached.

And of course the fifth does not just apply to the sheriff. I used “(the sheriff)” as a referent in my post because there were two possible antecedents.
I thought you were alluding to some deal that would be made where he wouldn't be charged with murder because there was some other investigation going on. I misunderstood.

jmo

So my county had a case somewhat similar with one of our former sheriffs, that I had forgotten about. Our ex-sheriff did NOT kill anyone (the charges were hand-in-the-cookie-jar type stuff) but he also refused to resign, and from what I've gleaned from articles written at the time his case did indeed have to be finished and disposed before they were able to officially fire him. Now, I'm not in KY, but I'm in extreme SE Ohio across the river, and I'm wondering if that might be at least a regional thing when sheriffs go wild, so to speak. MOO, OMO, IMO, ABC, XYZ, etc.

Stines was deposed on Monday in a lawsuit filed by two women, one of whom alleged that a deputy forced her to have sex inside Mullins’ chambers for six months in exchange for staying out of jail. The lawsuit accuses the sheriff of “deliberate indifference in failing to adequately train and supervise” the deputy.

The now-former deputy sheriff, Ben Fields, pleaded guilty to raping the female prisoner while she was on home incarceration. Fields was sentenced this year to six months in jail and then six and a half years on probation for rape, sodomy, perjury and tampering with a prisoner monitoring device, The Mountain Eagle reported. Three charges related to a second woman were dismissed because she is now dead.
No wonder the sheriff might be thinking he'll get off completely for a single murder charge. . . seriously, 6 MONTHS???? rape, sodomy, perjury and tampering with a prisoner monitoring device -- all those charges and 6 months in jail? That's outrageous -- IMO Plus, why wasn't "abuse of power" a charge? and probably tons of others I'd never think of. Good grief.

ET fix spelling

Last edited:
So my county had a case somewhat similar with one of our former sheriffs, that I had forgotten about. Our ex-sheriff did NOT kill anyone (the charges were hand-in-the-cookie-jar type stuff) but he also refused to resign, and from what I've gleaned from articles written at the time his case did indeed have to be finished and disposed before they were able to officially fire him. Now, I'm not in KY, but I'm in extreme SE Ohio across the river, and I'm wondering if that might be at least a regional thing when sheriffs go wild, so to speak. MOO, OMO, IMO, ABC, XYZ, etc.
Well, I live in a city where the mayor was just indicated on federal charges and is not leaving office (yet). It happens in all regions, imo.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab
Back